Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

10 Hardest Climbs in the US

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-21-19, 05:40 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts

Probably could be debated endlessly, but here they are. I had an idea that one state would dominate, and it did, but I picked the wrong state:

https://pjammcycling.com/zone/90.The...imbs-in-the-US
Old 08-21-19, 06:02 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Yikes!
Old 08-21-19, 06:07 PM
Tycho Brahe 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 67 Posts
I wish that site differentiated climbs that have gravel to those without. Would love to do some of these climbs, but I only ride slicks.
Likes For Tycho Brahe:
Old 08-21-19, 07:41 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
If you click on the detailed description of the ride, they usually mention whether there are unpaved sections. For example, about halfway down this page, they say what size tires they used and that there was a 4.5 mile unpaved section:

https://pjammcycling.com/climb/87.Whitaker-Forest

Interestingly, the site was started by lawyers who ride bikes and they have documented hundreds of climbs around the world. This is some of the best law firm advertising I have ever seen. I noticed at the bottom of the page, a mention of some attorneys who represent injured cyclists in civil lawsuits, might come in handy for someone here someday.

https://pjammcycling.com/about
Old 08-21-19, 07:47 PM
Bike Jedi
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Probably could be debated endlessly, but here they are. I had an idea that one state would dominate, and it did, but I picked the wrong state:

https://pjammcycling.com/zone/90.The...imbs-in-the-US
So if I go do Pikes Peak, does that make me a stud in the bicycle world in some way? Just curious.

If it is something I need to notch on my bicycle bed post since I am so close to it just for bragging rights, do I need to go do it now? I never had a huge desire to ride over it on my bicycle as is, but after seeing that it is arguably the 4th hardest climb in the world, wouldn't I need to go do it now "just" for braggin' rights?

I don't really process things well like the other humans, so I am wondering why I suddenly have this tug to go climb something I see every day out my window, when I had not had the desire to do so prior to reading this.

What do the other humans do in situations like these?

I wouldn't have guessed that Hawaii would contain half of the top ten, but that doesn't surprise me I guess. I would have thought for sure there is more climbs to pick from, but I am not familiar with that kind of stuff.

Does anyone know, would Pikes peak pretty much just be like climbing Lookout Mountain, but for much longer, or something similar to it? Anyone climbed both? What is it like to climb Pikes Peak versus say Lookout mountain in terms of a comparison of a vertical climb? If I could climb to the top of Lookout Mountain or climb to the top of the table tops, is it much more technical or harder than that? I am assuming it's just really long versions of that kind of stuff. Am I wrong? I know altitude is a factor, I am not thinking about that part of equation though. I am just curious about the terrain and how steep it really is. Wondering how much of a challenge or how hard it would really be for me too outside of altitude problems.

Last edited by Bike Jedi; 08-21-19 at 08:08 PM.
Old 08-21-19, 07:50 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by Tycho Brahe
I wish that site differentiated climbs that have gravel to those without. Would love to do some of these climbs, but I only ride slicks.
I do plenty of gravel on slicks.

Old 08-22-19, 02:07 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
me too but i'm dumb enuff to do them on 23's. not breaking any land speed records obvs. does tend to reduce said slick tire lifespan significantly.
Old 08-22-19, 07:24 AM
tekfhn

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why is there not more stage racing or single day races in Hawaii with the climbs highlighted in the article?
Old 08-22-19, 09:08 AM
rower2cyclist

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 35 Posts
Those climbs in Hawaii are in my bucket list for sure.
Old 08-22-19, 09:09 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Infinite Bliss
Old 08-22-19, 12:23 PM
Tycho Brahe 

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
If you click on the detailed description of the ride, they usually mention whether there are unpaved sections.
But I don't want to have to click on every ride and see if they are paved. I want for example a Top 10 Paved Scenic climb page.

Originally Posted by HTupolev
I do plenty of gravel on slicks.
Slicks and 23/25mm? Those tires look at least 28. I am talking proper "racing" tires.
Old 08-22-19, 12:31 PM
HTupolev

Originally Posted by Tycho Brahe
Slicks and 23/25mm? Those tires look at least 28. I am talking proper "racing" tires.
I think every person who's guessed the width of those tires has guessed low, but I've never heard a figure anywhere near that low!

As pictured, they measured 53mm.

Last edited by HTupolev; 08-22-19 at 02:18 PM.
Old 08-22-19, 12:58 PM
Seattle Forrest

@HTupolev - What road is that? I'm looking at the picture and can't decide whether I've ridden there or not. I'm guessing not, a lot of washouts around here look similar enough to fool a person, and you know every best place to ride. (Seriously, I'm in awe of your knowledge and travels.)
Old 08-22-19, 01:02 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Yes, could be debated endlessly.

Since I live near it, I'm partial to Mt. Mitchell. One thing to start at the base, another entirely to do the fondo where you start at the base after 70ish miles and 4500 feet before you even get to the party!

The average grade is also super deceiving since it has a 2mi descent in the middle of the overall 21 mile climb that counts against it. So, the average says 3.x% but in reality most of it is around 6 to 7%.

Unfortunately, the two times I've done it weren't times I could really hammer the climb proper. Once, I was a cycling noob and about 30 pounds heavier and over 100w weaker. The other time was at the end of the fondo, already tired from riding solo for 40 miles after a flat tire.
Old 08-22-19, 01:15 PM
markjenn

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
This list is heavily biased towards climbs with lots of elevation gain, but moderate steepness, so to me, I don't think it correlates very much to difficulty. Assuming appropriate gearing, climbing 10K feet in 30 miles at 6.5% grade is no big deal for most fit cyclists, just a day-long 4-mph average-speed long slog of a climb. But do this same elevation gain in 15 miles at 13% and it is an absolute nightmare that only a tiny fraction of cyclists could even contemplate.

- Mark
Old 08-22-19, 01:34 PM
HTupolev

Originally Posted by markjenn
This list is heavily biased towards climbs with lots of elevation gain, but moderate steepness, so to me, I don't think it correlates very much to difficulty. Assuming appropriate gearing, climbing 10K feet in 30 miles at 6.5% grade is no big deal for most fit cyclists, just a day-long 4-mph average-speed long slog of a climb. But do this same elevation gain in 15 miles at 13% and it is an absolute nightmare that only a tiny fraction of cyclists could even contemplate.

- Mark
"Assuming appropriate gearing", it's not clear to me how 15 miles at 13% is much, if at all, harder than 30 miles at 6.5%. At least if we're talking about paved roads, where traction doesn't become a challenge. The former actually requires less energy expenditure, since the tires don't need to roll as much distance and you're pushing less air out of the way at a lower speed.

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
@HTupolev - What road is that? I'm looking at the picture and can't decide whether I've ridden there or not.
It might look familiar because you recently quoted a post that contained it; it's NF-27, going up the White Chuck side of Rat Trap Pass.
Old 08-22-19, 04:35 PM
Seattle Forrest

That must be it. I was half thinking of another dirt road near Darrington, and I guess they blended together in my mind.

I tried to follow your route a couple months ago, but missed the turn from Sauk Prairie Road, some people I ran into out there thought it was hilarious I was trying to find White Chuck Road from where I was.
Old 08-22-19, 04:41 PM
menkar

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Assuming appropriate gearing", it's not clear to me how 15 miles at 13% is much, if at all, harder than 30 miles at 6.5%.
In my experience there's a huge difference in how difficult a climb feels when it's twice as steep. Perhaps it has to do with the physics of it - If you were to stop pedaling on either climb and coast to a stop you'd go eight times farther on the hill that's half as steep. I think that's why on a steep climb you never feel like you can get a break, it's just continuous pain.
Old 08-22-19, 04:58 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
I've done 2 of these, Haleakala and Waipoli Rd. The two on Maui are hard, but for different reasons. Everyone knows Haleakala, so there's no need to go over that one, it's just a climb of attrition. Not particularly steep ever, though it does get a bit steeper toward the end, where you are utterly exhausted, and running out of O2. Waipoli is just a grind. The 6 miles from the highway are extremely steep, Strava has it at 10% avg for 5.72 miles, but it feels way harder than that. I think it's probably 12-15% average, with some flatter breaks here and there. And it can be stiflingly humid, it's almost all jungle, except the beginning, which is more grassy. But I did both of these on poorly maintained and adjusted rental bikes, so it's not like they are impossible.

Those Eastern Sierra roads are on my to-do list. I've been up most of those more than once, but in a car going to a hiking trailhead. Those also have altitude considerations, which makes them that much harder. There's actually a lot of amazing climbing roads in the Eastern Sierra, Rock Creek Rd, Tioga Rd, Hwy 168/South Lake, heck even Whitney Portal Rd is nice. All have absolutely stunning backdrops, and usually light traffic. It really is a cycling paradise, if you're into pain and suffering!

Last edited by cthenn; 08-22-19 at 05:03 PM.
Old 08-22-19, 05:26 PM
HTupolev

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I tried to follow your route a couple months ago, but missed the turn from Sauk Prairie Road, some people I ran into out there thought it was hilarious I was trying to find White Chuck Road from where I was.
If you're taking it clockwise, the turnoff to Suiattle River Road is on Highway 530, right after a grated bridge over the Sauk River.

Counter-clockwise (the way I did it), you leave Darrington on Mountain Loop Highway and turn left at the spot where the gravel starts.
Old 08-22-19, 06:55 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
Got a taste of Rock Creek Road to Mosquito Flats this summer and hope to try Horseshoe Meadows, Whitney Portal and the full Lower/Upper Rock Creek Rd this Fall. I am a novice climber. I discovered deep slow breathing and managing heart rate made a huge difference on Rock Creek.

I have been riding GMR-GRR-Mt Baldy Ski Lifts and Encanto to Dawson Saddle for training rides. I hope I can suffer faster in the Eastern Sierra climbs.
Old 08-23-19, 10:43 AM
markjenn

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
"Assuming appropriate gearing", it's not clear to me how 15 miles at 13% is much, if at all, harder than 30 miles at 6.5%. At least if we're talking about paved roads, where traction doesn't become a challenge. The former actually requires less energy expenditure, since the tires don't need to roll as much distance and you're pushing less air out of the way at a lower speed.
Yeah, the physics would seem to indicate that slowing down to half the speed for a twice as steep a climb would mean power output would be (about) the same, but it sure doesn't feel that way when you're doing it. I can climb more/less indefinitely at 6% without great discomfort, but any 12% grade is just brutal, no matter how slow I try to go. It probably has to do with the fact that going slower than walking speed starts to bring up balance, traction, and gearing issues so most of us climb the steeper grade at a speed which requires a much higher power output than the lesser grade. And any climb that averages 12% is likely to have pitches here and there at near 20% as well as rough pavement or gravel.

Aero drag and rolling resistance start to get pretty insignificant compared to climbing power on steep grades.

- Mark
Old 08-23-19, 05:42 PM
Bike Jedi
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by markjenn

- Mark
This is going to sound dumb, but how do I learn to recognize what the grades are, what I can personally do, and eventually get to a place so that if someone mentions numbers like this, I can visualize something and know what we are talking about?

Assuming appropriate gearing, climbing 10K feet in 30 miles at 6.5% grade is no big deal for most fit cyclists,
OK...I think that I am a pretty fit cyclist, but I have no idea what these numbers truly mean. So how can I look at something on the computer, like a google maps equivalent for elevation, and then go look at roads I have ridden to see what numbers this will compare to that I bike?

But do this same elevation gain in 15 miles at 13%
But I have no idea what this looks like. I think I climb roads that are 13% now, but no way for that long that I am aware of. So how do I figure out the elevation of roads I now ride to compare?

These questions are for anyone.
Old 08-23-19, 06:10 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8254 Post(s)
Liked 8,964 Times in 4,448 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
Got a taste of Rock Creek Road to Mosquito Flats this summer and hope to try Horseshoe Meadows, Whitney Portal and the full Lower/Upper Rock Creek Rd this Fall. I am a novice climber. I discovered deep slow breathing and managing heart rate made a huge difference on Rock Creek.

I have been riding GMR-GRR-Mt Baldy Ski Lifts and Encanto to Dawson Saddle for training rides. I hope I can suffer faster in the Eastern Sierra climbs.
I've done Rock Creek, Whitney Portal, and the White Mountain climb. Rock Creek was the easiest, White Mountain was very hard for me especially because of the elevation. Whitney Portal is easier once you get to the canyon itself, the long slog from 395 up the alluvial plain is demoralizing.

Also did South Lake, Sabrina and North Lake one day. That was a fun day with friends. Would love to repeat that ride, plus there are no expansion cracks on the way down. White Mountain has terrible expansion cracks that make you think your bike is going to break as you slam through them at speed.

The ski lifts on Baldy are only at 6000 feet ( I know there is a lot of 15% up there) and Dawson is 7900, a better altitude trainer. You could go to Redlands and climb to Onyx Summit if you want a long, grueling climb to 8400 feet.

Last edited by big john; 08-23-19 at 06:15 PM.
Old 08-23-19, 06:29 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8254 Post(s)
Liked 8,964 Times in 4,448 Posts
"Assuming appropriate gearing", it's not clear to me how 15 miles at 13% is much, if at all, harder than 30 miles at 6.5%. At least if we're talking about paved roads, where traction doesn't become a challenge.
I don't know what gearing I would need to climb 15 miles @13% but I don't think I have it in my legs. Sounds ridiculously hard, as does 10K feet in 30 miles. I've done centuries with 10 and even 12K feet, but 30 miles?

Some people do a thing called "Everesting" where they climb 29000 feet in one ride. BF member Vireo did it once in under 90 miles, I think, and it was about 12 hours. He did one recently in about 125 miles and it took 16 hours.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.