Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Your Most Recent Cycling-related Purchase

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Your Most Recent Cycling-related Purchase

Old 09-01-19, 06:47 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
I needed a new winter activity. So this happened.

Likes For NoWhammies:
Old 09-02-19, 08:34 AM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 39 Posts
Ordered one medium, one large to see how they fit:

Why Voler doesn't make a plain black long sleeve, I don't understand. You can get a white lightweight long sleeve (what I ordered), or a white long sleeve thermal, but you can't get plain black?

Voler has a lot of designs that are "produced on demand" which I'm not sure if you can return like a normal in stock jersey, so I figured I'd order two of these to try on and then order something I like once I know the right size. Sort of a hassle, but oh well. I've been trying to get my hands on a particular jersey at my LBS to rep the shop all summer, but they are perpetually out of what seems to be the right size for me, so I'm left going online and trying various ones and sending back, I guess. Been cycling for three years now and my transition to full cyclist is nearly complete - sadly I'm still wearing plain black t-shirts with bibs, while having all the other gear/kit - really need a couple jerseys, one long, one short. Wouldn't mind a pair of 3/4 bibs either.

Last edited by puma1552; 09-02-19 at 08:37 AM.
Old 09-02-19, 10:12 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
I needed a new winter activity. So this happened.

Nice ride. which model Intense is that?
Old 09-02-19, 08:21 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Thanks @noodle soup. That's the Intense Primer Pro model.

Looking forward to taking up mountain biking during the winter months here and getting in a bit of cross training.
Old 09-02-19, 11:40 PM
Paul Ko

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I bought a Gopro Hero7 for capturing cycling activity. It's really great quality than expected!
Old 09-03-19, 09:47 AM
medic75

Bikes: '19 Trek Stache 5, '17 DB Hannjo Trail, '09 Scott CR1 Pro, Schwinn Central commuter, '16 DB El Oso

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
This is my most recent cycling related purchase. I haven't been on a road bike in 29 years. I typically ride a gravel bike and decided I wanted to give a road bike a try. My last road bike was a late 70s Peugeot that my dad purchased in Germany, so this will likely be completely different than anything I remember.
Old 09-03-19, 09:53 AM
crazyravr

Bikes: 1 for road & 1 for gravel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 28 Posts
From ChainReaction just now.

Old 09-04-19, 07:12 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by crazyravr
From ChainReaction just now.

@crazyravr let us know how you like the shoes and the tires. I am looking for some casual riding shoes for when touring and riding around with my 9yo son.
Old 09-04-19, 07:59 AM
crazyravr

Originally Posted by RidingMatthew
@crazyravr let us know how you like the shoes and the tires. I am looking for some casual riding shoes for when touring and riding around with my 9yo son.
I tried the shoes on in my local bike shop but price and availability made me go with online. They will be used for commuting.
Tires I have read so much good about, and I want to switch out from 28mm Marathons, also for my commuter.
Old 09-04-19, 09:25 AM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by crazyravr
I tried the shoes on in my local bike shop but price and availability made me go with online. They will be used for commuting.
Tires I have read so much good about, and I want to switch out from 28mm Marathons, also for my commuter.
Also interested in your review of the Panaracers. I'm thinking of putting gravel tires on my Trek FX S6 (replacing Conti 5Ks, for more gravel/trail traction) and also have read good things about the Panaracers. The only problem is they have so many variants. Did you get the standard Gravel Kings SK or SK+ (which now have more puncture resistance)? The picture seems to indicate the SKs, but the website may not have updated with the + photos.

Thanks!
Old 09-04-19, 02:24 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 979 Post(s)
Liked 577 Times in 435 Posts
A TACX Vortex smart trainer + a TACX blue trainer tire. Should receive it by Friday.

CRC had a crazy deal on them (60% off). What a steal!
Old 09-05-19, 11:13 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Just received a Rapha Core Winter jacket (in eye-searing pink). On sale, it was $70, which was a great deal, now that I have it in hand. They still have them available - Red: XS - XL and Pink: S - L.

Old 09-05-19, 12:55 PM
crazyravr

Originally Posted by CarloM
Also interested in your review of the Panaracers. I'm thinking of putting gravel tires on my Trek FX S6 (replacing Conti 5Ks, for more gravel/trail traction) and also have read good things about the Panaracers. The only problem is they have so many variants. Did you get the standard Gravel Kings SK or SK+ (which now have more puncture resistance)? The picture seems to indicate the SKs, but the website may not have updated with the + photos.

Thanks!
I got SK version. If they carry me puncture less throughout the whole year, like the marathons did, I will be a happy camper. Riding mixed of pavement and gravel on my commutes which sometimes go for 50km each way time and weather depending and "feel like it" depending.
Old 09-05-19, 02:45 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Just received a Rapha Core Winter jacket (in eye-searing pink). On sale, it was $70, which was a great deal, now that I have it in hand. They still have them available - Red: XS - XL and Pink: S - L.

How do you like it? I was looking at them myself. What temp do you think it will be good for?
Old 09-05-19, 03:18 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by jadocs
How do you like it? I was looking at them myself. What temp do you think it will be good for?
Fit, finish and materials all seem really good, 'specially for 70 bucks. I won't have a chance to ride with in for a while... I hope.

Rapha says 0° - 10°C. There's not much by way of insulation, but it seems like the forward-facing panels will block wind nicely. Given that assumption, I can see it going to at least the freezing point with a SS base under it, possibly down to 20°F or so with two layers under (caveat - I'm a Minnesotan, YMMV).
Old 09-05-19, 03:20 PM
medic75

Bikes: '19 Trek Stache 5, '17 DB Hannjo Trail, '09 Scott CR1 Pro, Schwinn Central commuter, '16 DB El Oso

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by CarloM

Thanks!
I went with the Panaracer Gravel King slicks in 38mm. I have them set up tubeless and love them. I regularly go off-road, sometimes even riding some singletrack. I condsider them every bit as capable as any small knob tires in 99% of conditions. The only place they fail is in sloppy mud, and the SK tires also equally fail in sloppy mud. Any gravel bike rider who has tried them will tell you the same thing I just did. The only people who will tell you that you need the knobbies are people who haven't tried the slicks.

*disclaimer - my above comments are limited to 38mm & wider tires as I believe the capability of the tire is directly related to the wider tire. I have never tried anything less than 38mm, so I cannot comment on those sizes.

Last edited by medic75; 09-05-19 at 03:26 PM.
Old 09-05-19, 03:58 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
I bought a Rapha Classic II jersey that was on sale for $75. Chest and waist are OK, less snug than I'd hoped, but it's waayyy too short -- the length fits my wife, who is more than half a foot shorter than me. At least it got me to free shipping for the large rainproof essentials case, which is a pricey but nice upgrade to a freezer bag for my giant phone, even if my usual wallet is slightly too fat to also fit.
Old 09-05-19, 05:55 PM
melikebikey35

Bikes: Cervelo R5 disc - Limited, Cervelo Aspero

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by jadocs
I have a couple of them and absoultey love them...more so than the Pro Team version, in fact. Fit is excellent, very well made, and does a great job of blocking the wind/water while still being breathable

I've worn it in temps down to the low 30's F. That was with nothing but a long sleeve base layer under it, and I was more than warm enough.
So, I'm guessing you could go lower than that.
Old 09-05-19, 06:49 PM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
This pannier that I added to my old 1991 MTB bike that I use when leisurely riding with my wife on weekends (and now the dog too!)

Likes For SylvainG:
Old 09-05-19, 07:28 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by surak
I bought a Rapha Classic II jersey that was on sale for $75. Chest and waist are OK, less snug than I'd hoped, but it's waayyy too short -- the length fits my wife, who is more than half a foot shorter than me. At least it got me to free shipping for the large rainproof essentials case, which is a pricey but nice upgrade to a freezer bag for my giant phone, even if my usual wallet is slightly too fat to also fit.
Classic, Core and Brevet are all more along the lines of a club fit; you'd probably want something from their Pro Team, Shadow or Souplesse lines.

I kinda want one of those cases, too, but I've already spent enough (have another jacket arriving tomorrow) - I'll have to stick with the freezer bag for now.
Old 09-05-19, 07:40 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Classic, Core and Brevet are all more along the lines of a club fit; you'd probably want something from their Pro Team, Shadow or Souplesse lines.

I kinda want one of those cases, too, but I've already spent enough (have another jacket arriving tomorrow) - I'll have to stick with the freezer bag for now.
The same sized Classic bibs fit me perfectly, so I was hoping the jersey would work too, esp with the Classic II supposedly being a slimmer fit than the first gen. Plus the listing had pictures of a much taller model wearing a single size up. He must not have been able to reach into those pockets either.
Old 09-05-19, 08:05 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by surak
The same sized Classic bibs fit me perfectly, so I was hoping the jersey would work too, esp with the Classic II supposedly being a slimmer fit than the first gen. Plus the listing had pictures of a much taller model wearing a single size up. He must not have been able to reach into those pockets either.
Yeah, their model pics aren't always helpful when it comes to size. They've got a guy that's not exactly cyclist wiry and they say that he's wearing a Small and he's 6' tall (based on his proportions, I would have guessed 5'7"). I wish that more of their customer reviews were specific with their garment size, their dimensions and fit, too.
Old 09-06-19, 07:22 AM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
I recently bought a pair of Empire ACC's (a lot of clearance deals out there) to replace an aging fleet of Shimano 320's. Always wanted to try them out but shoe changes are usually a traumatic experience for me. Not this time, I was good from day 1! A few rides in picked up a second color option

I did go a half size up from 44.0 to 44.5
Old 09-06-19, 08:53 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
@WhyFi @melikebikey35 thanks a bunch!
Old 09-07-19, 02:15 PM
revivalist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Trying to overhaul my Sirrus so I started with an Ultegra crankset. Next purchase is the hollowtech bottom bracket to replace the square taper so I can install the cranks.

On the lookout for wheels and those will determine the groupset.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.