Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

The two "unusable" gears.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

The two "unusable" gears.

Old 08-20-19, 04:20 PM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I have always cross-chained (at least to the extent that the newer outside chainrings allow) when there was good reason for it. I live to climb. I love going hard uphill. If that hill levels off briefly I don't want to have to ease up to do two double shifts to say PC for that lesser grade.

In a race many decades ago, I badly over-geared my bike, 54-44 x 13-17 for the States on a flat course. Less than 40 riders. I spent 80% of the time (maybe more) on the small ring. Rounding the turn onto the 2 mile finishing stretch, I shifted to the large-large so I could pull a surprise jump a mile from the line with just an easy shift in back to the 54-15. Worked beautifully.

Ben
My kind of stoopid.
Old 08-20-19, 04:45 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Originally Posted by Last ride 76
Funny, my experience seems to be the reverse of most folks.. Bitd, I had nine effective gears. The only one I can say for sure I never used was small/small. Large/large meant not having to drop to the small ring (anethema in my teeny rigid racer's mind). Who couldn't get up hills in a 52-21? It didn't make grinding sounds, perhaps because it got used relatively often, also the Ron Cooper rear triangle was famously rigid. I imagine that I used the small ring, living as I did at the top of a 500 climb in southern VT, and doing lots of hilly training and racing, but I can't say for sure.
Now, I have so many gears on some of my bikes, I don't know what to do with them all,* so I just don't bother with the 2 extreme cross chained gears. Not because they're noisy, though they might be. I just have no reason to.

Eric

*my most modern is an 02 Lemond Zurich and it's got 20.
Originally Posted by Jobst Brandt
When I was "young and beautiful" I used a 47-50 because I started on 5-speed half step and never changed, not using the small chainwheel but rarely.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-20-19, 05:36 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
I have one single fender that covers both wheels, only thinning a bit in the middle.
Do you have a unibrow?
Old 08-20-19, 06:33 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by BririaBoarder
Back in the early '70s, when "ten speeds" were ubiquitous, the lore was that using the highest or lowest gears would cause the chain to fall off/get goofed up, therefore those gears weren't practical to use. (I don't remember the precise details of this bit of urban legend.)
Was that ever true?
You can have an uncommanded downshift to a smaller ring when using a larger ring with the largest cog. Modern rings with truncated teeth in down shift zones make shifting easier, and a little wear combined with short chain stays can make the chain angle sufficient for that without any front derailleur involvement. That can cause a crash if you're standing at the time. I did that twice before realizing what was going on.

I never noticed a problem when 12 speed meant 2x6 not 12 cogs, although we didn't have tweaked tooth profiles, the cog sets were narrower, and chain stays longer decreasing the angle.

Smaller ring x small cog is noisier and may rub on the larger ring or derailleur. Efficiency doesn't decrease much but the sound can be annoying.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 08-20-19 at 06:38 PM.
Old 08-21-19, 10:16 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I have fenders on both my touring bike and my daily commuter. I like fenders, but not for every kind of riding. I'm reading a book on the life of Eddy Merckx right now, called Half Man, Half Bike. Many of the photos show him and the other competitors spattered in mud and road grime from having raced. Hard men.
Old 08-21-19, 01:27 PM
weiwentg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
On two current 11s mechanical road setups, small ring and smallest two cogs will have the chain rubbing the large chainring very badly - so badly that I'm instantly reminded that I need to hit the big ring. I think that on 9s and 10s setups, small-small was noisy as well. My 11s Di2 setup will actually not let you shift to the smallest 2 cogs if you're in the small ring.

Big-big is not as much an issue unless, as stated, the chain is too short. It's a bit noisy, but you can trim the front derailleur. It's also not an optimal gear for the most part, and you will have less drivetrain friction plus noise in the small ring. As already stated, in a road race or competitive ride, you might be in a situation where you need big-big to get up a short steep climb and you don't want to take the effort to drop to the small ring. With the quality of front shifting these days, this may not be as much a factor, especially if you're on some sort of electronic groupset. However, it is an additional button to tap unless you have Shimano's Synchro shifting or SRAM's eTap. (Is there a Campy EPS equivalent?)
Old 08-21-19, 06:47 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
This makes no sense to me at all. I occasionally shift into large/large by accident on hills, but I can't ever remember being on small/small.

And if you're staying on any combo on a prolonged basis, it's probably fine. The bikes I have that don't like cross chaining make it too obvious for you to want to stay there. If you're not hearing it or feeling it, it's probably not doing any unussual damage beyond normal wear.
Yeah, it's a different kind of rider who does one or other. Small/small generally live on the small front, even in the case of triples...

Big/big is done more out of a brief requirement.

That's just an observation over the years, around these parts.
Old 08-21-19, 11:35 PM
Dr.Lou

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by bakerjw
What if you only have an eyebrow?
There's a current thread on waxing...
Old 08-22-19, 04:35 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyMK
Yeah, it's a different kind of rider who does one or other. Small/small generally live on the small front, even in the case of triples...

Big/big is done more out of a brief requirement.

That's just an observation over the years, around these parts.
I realized after I posted that I actually do run big/big on my CX bike on hills. The bike doesn't complain about it and has a pretty bad front derailleur, so it's just easier to stay on the large ring. I don't ride my CX as often as my Allez, which is just plain awful when cross chained and has a great fd.

I'm convinced there is no typical when it comes to gear preferences.
Old 08-22-19, 01:07 PM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 57 Posts
I mean, if you end up cross-chaining for a few minutes as you're moving through gears, it's not a big deal, unless your bike is set up poorly. But you don't want to get in to the habit of cross-chaining for long periods of time.

Your drive train will not asplode if you happen to accidentally shift up or down the cassette in to a cross-chaining situation.
Old 08-23-19, 06:38 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 652 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by HarborBandS
I mean, if you end up cross-chaining for a few minutes as you're moving through gears, it's not a big deal, unless your bike is set up poorly. But you don't want to get in to the habit of cross-chaining for long periods of time.

Your drive train will not asplode if you happen to accidentally shift up or down the cassette in to a cross-chaining situation.
Provided the chain is long enough. I have seen the collateral damage of a too short chain and a big/big cross chain event.
Old 08-23-19, 11:00 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 347 Posts
I click my shifters all the way and I end up in small gear in front and small gear in back. Then my shifters dont work anymore. So I'm stuck in that gear. I have a 25 speed. But only one gear works. Anyone else have this problem?
Old 08-23-19, 12:18 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts

Oh yes it will.

Maybe

Some of my bikes can handle cross chaining because the overall range isn't that great but my 42/32/22 11-40 mtb will lock up the chain and derailer if I try big big.
Old 08-23-19, 12:50 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts
My Schwinn Voyageur has a 30/46/50 triple w/ 13-28 5sp FW, half step plus granny. It doesn't balk at any cross chain combination, thankfully, but it sure does feel weird to ride 30/13, and frankly looks kinda stoopid.
Old 08-23-19, 01:30 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
"The Unusable Gear" sounds like a song from a "Man of La Mancha" parody.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-23-19, 01:33 PM
Bikeloverr

Bikes: sedona

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BririaBoarder
Back in the early '70s, when "ten speeds" were ubiquitous, the lore was that using the highest or lowest gears would cause the chain to fall off/get goofed up, therefore those gears weren't practical to use. (I don't remember the precise details of this bit of urban legend.)
Was that ever true?
I have a derailleur seven-speed, but the gear changer is a clicker set up on the handlebar, not levers like they had in the old days.

~~~A bicycle without fenders is a person without eyebrows.
Thank yoı
Old 08-23-19, 01:34 PM
Bikeloverr

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Last ride 76
If you look above, you will see that I used Large/large frequently, bitd... and as I was riding 350mi/week in (hilly) VT, that was a fair amount of time. I never used small/small. Why would I. The idea, in my mind, and I wasn't alone, if you read some other posts was "Big ring good". Maybe it was a USA thing, or even a NE USA thing.
Nice share
Old 08-23-19, 01:34 PM
Bikeloverr

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring
I click my shifters all the way and I end up in small gear in front and small gear in back. Then my shifters dont work anymore. So I'm stuck in that gear. I have a 25 speed. But only one gear works. Anyone else have this problem?
Good info thanks
Old 08-23-19, 02:36 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikeloverr
Good info thanks
That's a strange response to a question. Are you a bot?
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-23-19, 05:20 PM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
That's a strange response to a question. Are you a bot?
Seems likely, look at the three response posts in a row...
Likes For Last ride 76:
Old 08-24-19, 05:52 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 610 Posts
I use small-small sometimes, such as wanting a bit bigger gear, while knowing I will need to downshift soon, so not worth shifting to the big ring.

I avoid big-big...always seems like a strain.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 08-26-19, 11:28 AM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Oh yes it will.

Maybe

Some of my bikes can handle cross chaining because the overall range isn't that great but my 42/32/22 11-40 mtb will lock up the chain and derailer if I try big big.
I know times have changed, but in my bike shop mechanic days we made sure every bike could hit every gear, and would have considered this set up "incorrect". Personally, I would never ride a bike that could lock up a chain by accidentally shifting in to a bad gear combo.
Old 08-26-19, 11:55 AM
sheddle

Bikes: my precious steel boys

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 359 Posts
I know times have changed, but in my bike shop mechanic days we made sure every bike could hit every gear, and would have considered this set up "incorrect". Personally, I would never ride a bike that could lock up a chain by accidentally shifting in to a bad gear combo.
Yeah, when I was taught to do a chain change, I was told to feed it in the big-big combo, even though that would never be used under normal circumstances.
Old 08-27-19, 10:54 AM
weiwentg

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sheddle
Yeah, when I was taught to do a chain change, I was told to feed it in the big-big combo, even though that would never be used under normal circumstances.
Agree. A tired rider could definitely shift into this combo. If the bike's moving fast enough, locking up the chain is going to break something and it will be expensive.

The person you two are responding to has a triple crank with a 42t big, 22t small, and 11-40 cassette. I would guess that the chain was drooping in the smallest ring and smaller cogs. I think I'd rather have that than run the risk of damaging the drivetrain. If you need the small chainring, then chances are you'll need the bigger cogs anyway, and a drooping chain is not fatal.
Old 08-27-19, 02:35 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts
I usually stop riding when I’m tired.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.