Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

2016 Giant ToughRoad SLR2

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

2016 Giant ToughRoad SLR2

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-16, 07:21 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
Yeah...anyroad isn't the same at all and I don't like drop bars.

Took my fatbike and put some smaller light weight tires on it and think I will use that for my gravel bike for now.
Old 06-28-16, 10:04 AM
Noctilux.95

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4 Celeste, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Giant TCR SL, Giant Revolt Advanced Revolt 0 Gravel Bike, Trek Madone SLR, Cervelo R5 Disk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 65 Posts
Can't stop upgrading my Toughroad 2. I recently upgraded my recently upgraded SLX groupset to XT 1x11. After purchasing my mountain bike with SRAM 1x11 XO1 groupset, I can't see myself going to back to 2-3X chainrings and a front derailleur. Will pick up my bike later today and post some pics.
Old 06-29-16, 05:55 AM
prj71

1x is the way to go.

Old 06-29-16, 12:21 PM
Noctilux.95

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4 Celeste, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Giant TCR SL, Giant Revolt Advanced Revolt 0 Gravel Bike, Trek Madone SLR, Cervelo R5 Disk

Think I'm finally done upgrading my Toughroad 2. To me this bike is no longer a hybrid but a rigid 29er. With all the weight shedding upgrades the bike is down to 21lbs. Man I love this bike for commuting and hitting fire roads.
Old 06-30-16, 12:59 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by Noctilux.95
Think I'm finally done upgrading my Toughroad 2. To me this bike is no longer a hybrid but a rigid 29er. With all the weight shedding upgrades the bike is down to 21lbs. Man I love this bike for commuting and hitting fire roads.
You should list the full changes you made to the stock bike.
Old 06-30-16, 09:07 AM
Noctilux.95

"You should list the full changes you made to the stock bike"

Here's the list.

Shimano XT 1x11 Groupset (SLX Brakes, XT Ice Tech 180mm F, 160mm R, Rotors)
Stan's Notubes Arch EX 29" Wheelset
Spank Oozy Handlebar
Spank Oozy Stem
Shimano XTR Trail Pedals
Selle Italia SL Saddle
Specialized Grips
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
A 11.25.18 AM.jpg (103.7 KB, 561 views)
Old 06-30-16, 09:23 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts

Here's the list.

Spank Oozy Handlebar
Spank Oozy Stem
Shimano XTR Trail Pedals
Selle Italia SL Saddle
Specialized Grips
Very nice.
Old 06-30-16, 11:02 AM
prj71

Here's the list.

Spank Oozy Handlebar
Spank Oozy Stem
Shimano XTR Trail Pedals
Selle Italia SL Saddle
Specialized Grips
Very nice!!! If you don't mind me asking how much money you have into upgrades?

Reason I ask, is that I have been looking at this bike. Bike shop weighed it for me and it's 21 lbs. stock.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bi...e-sl-29/106470

The downsides are.

1. It's $1350
2. It's singlespeed
3. Adding gears can be done, but at a cost. Probably close to $1500 by the time you are done adding cassette, derailleur shifter, cables etc

Old 06-30-16, 11:58 AM
Noctilux.95

Originally Posted by prj71

Reason I ask, is that I have been looking at this bike. Bike shop weighed it for me and it's 21 lbs. stock.

The downsides are.

1. It's $1350
2. It's singlespeed
3. Adding gears can be done, but at a cost. Probably close to $1500 by the time you are done adding cassette, derailleur shifter, cables etc

The Specialized Crave looks really nice though I'm not sure if I want a single speed bike for commuter/fire road rides. I live in a hilly area and don't always wear synthetic clothes when commuting. I can see myself walking into a bank or Starbucks all sweaty after climbing a 12% grade hill on a single speed bike

My Toughroad has ended up costing me around $1900 total after all the upgrades and selling the old parts. I purchased the bike for $850 OTD and the rest were in upgrades. I purchased everything on sale.
Old 06-30-16, 02:02 PM
prj71

Thanks for the reply.

My local bike shop will give me the ToughRoad SLR 1 for $1100

The SLR1 already has carbon seat post and fork so I think the only upgrade I would do would be carbon bars, different seat and tubeless setup.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us...specifications
Old 06-30-16, 03:08 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71

The downsides are.

1. It's $1350
2. It's singlespeed

I would be very clear about how you add gears. As pictured it doesn't have a hanger for a rear derailluer, so you'd need to get an adapter from Specialized.
Old 06-30-16, 05:57 PM
prj71

Originally Posted by gsa103
I would be very clear about how you add gears. As pictured it doesn't have a hanger for a rear derailluer, so you'd need to get an adapter from Specialized.
It's all set up for derailleur. Specialized includes the derailleur hanger with the bike when you buy it. The regular Specialized Crave, which use the same exact frame, comes with gears and front shock.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bi...rave-29/106557

Last edited by prj71; 06-30-16 at 08:01 PM.
Old 07-07-16, 05:50 AM
markutz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by acdc2704
Anyone have any issues with seat post noise?
YES! Lots of creaking. Have taken mine to the LBS about 4 times for various things and they have greased it each time and the noises come back within a day or so. Maybe the D-Fuse technology has some issues ? I think i might contact Giant as it's really annoying and the LBS have been fantastic, so it's over to Giant!
Old 07-07-16, 06:14 AM
acdc2704

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by markutz
YES! Lots of creaking. Have taken mine to the LBS about 4 times for various things and they have greased it each time and the noises come back within a day or so. Maybe the D-Fuse technology has some issues ? I think i might contact Giant as it's really annoying and the LBS have been fantastic, so it's over to Giant!
A few weeks back I had them replace the entire part that holds the seat in place replaced and so far so good.
Old 07-07-16, 06:22 AM
markutz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A few weeks back I had them replace the entire part that holds the seat in place replaced and so far so good.
Oh really!? Was this because of the noises ? Was this done under warranty ?
Old 07-07-16, 06:24 AM
acdc2704

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh really!? Was this because of the noises ? Was this done under warranty ?
Yes, the clicking sound. 1st time it happened they greased it fixed for a bit started again. I guess it was under warranty my lbs didn't charge me. Only had the bike 4 months.
Old 07-07-16, 06:28 AM
markutz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, the clicking sound. 1st time it happened they greased it fixed for a bit started again. I guess it was under warranty my lbs didn't charge me. Only had the bike 4 months.
I'm in exactly the same boat, I've only had mine 4 months too! It's been like that since the very early days!

How do you find the bike otherwise ? I think it's fantastic but I have had a couple of issues here and there. I have had the freehub body replaced, and the bike was stripped down and cleaned/re-greased as it was making some seriously bad squeaking in the front fork, and crank area. I think these days bike manufacturers put a minimal amount of grease on the bikes to save money. LBS have been great though.

Last edited by markutz; 07-07-16 at 06:54 AM.
Old 07-07-16, 07:57 AM
acdc2704

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in exactly the same boat, I've only had mine 4 months too! It's been like that since the very early days!

How do you find the bike otherwise ? I think it's fantastic but I have had a couple of issues here and there. I have had the freehub body replaced, and the bike was stripped down and cleaned/re-greased as it was making some seriously bad squeaking in the front fork, and crank area. I think these days bike manufacturers put a minimal amount of grease on the bikes to save money. LBS have been great though.
Overall I like the bike a lot, few minor issues. The seat that came with the bike a couple screws came out while
Riding but I had planned to change saddles anyway. In a few short months I've put almost 1k miles on it have done a lot of long trail/canal rides this year.
Old 07-17-16, 07:25 PM
roguewave

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lately I have been noticing what I would call "crank creak" I'm 220 lbs and I imagine the forces on the pedal assembly are quite severe. The bike sat all winter and I just starting riding it last month and noticed the noise a couple weeks ago. The best way to describe it is a creaking sound when pedaling. I've never brought it back to Giant of Boston, it's a 2 hour drive into the middle of Town, not zakly fun.
Old 07-18-16, 05:30 AM
FrozenBiker 

Bikes: FX Sport 4 Carbon, Nishiki Hybrid (1x9 mod), Raleigh Sport Comfort

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by roguewave
Lately I have been noticing what I would call "crank creak" I'm 220 lbs and I imagine the forces on the pedal assembly are quite severe. The bike sat all winter and I just starting riding it last month and noticed the noise a couple weeks ago. The best way to describe it is a creaking sound when pedaling. I've never brought it back to Giant of Boston, it's a 2 hour drive into the middle of Town, not zakly fun.
Acera cranks are probably disposable these days. Is there no other Giant dealer near you for warranty work?
My old Raleigh has that noise if I'm pushing hard, but it is all original stuff (Nexave SIS) with a ton of miles.
Old 07-18-16, 08:07 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by roguewave
Try tightening up your chainring bolts. If that doesn't fix, then you have bottom bracket creak.
Old 07-18-16, 01:19 PM
acdc2704

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So my seat post issue seems fine now that they replaced it. Now thou I hear a clicking but only when I am putting pressure or going uphill, I checked the bolts on the stem, the crank etc... they all appear tight. I hate to go back to the bike shop but starting to get annoyed that I am hearing noises. I have a defy and have never had a single issue. This is minor stuff and I ride this bike hard but come on Giant it's supposed to be made to ride hard.
Old 07-18-16, 07:58 PM
SDRR

Bikes: 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR2

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have had the same issue now for two weeks! I have only had the bike almost 4 months. With your posts I have lubed the wedge that locks the post in place and the creaking while peddling has stopped. If this was crank creak like stated above it would have continued after lubing the seat post wedge. I have contacted Giant with the problem and urge those of you with the problem to do the same.
Old 07-19-16, 08:27 AM
markutz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SDRR
I have had the same issue now for two weeks! I have only had the bike almost 4 months. With your posts I have lubed the wedge that locks the post in place and the creaking while peddling has stopped. If this was crank creak like stated above it would have continued after lubing the seat post wedge. I have contacted Giant with the problem and urge those of you with the problem to do the same.
Glad it's not just me! My LBS have once again gone beyond the call of duty and are contacting Giant for a replacement D-Fuse part, as they believe this will cure the issue. Fingers crossed!

Gonna stick some 700 x 32c Marathon Greenguard's on the bike soon! Will post a pic when it's all sorted and clean! :-)
Old 07-21-16, 03:46 AM
Trewim

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So my seat post issue seems fine now that they replaced it. Now thou I hear a clicking but only when I am putting pressure or going uphill, I checked the bolts on the stem, the crank etc... they all appear tight. I hate to go back to the bike shop but starting to get annoyed that I am hearing noises. I have a defy and have never had a single issue. This is minor stuff and I ride this bike hard but come on Giant it's supposed to be made to ride hard.
I had the same issue with mine. Bottom bracket was loose...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.