Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Where do you keep your lock on a folding bike frame?

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 02-20-18, 05:47 PM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts

Where do you keep your lock on a folding bike frame? Like a U-lock.

Standard lock holders can't attach to the frames or racks.

I've just been locking it through my rear rack, but it bounces around and makes a lot of noise. If I want to load a large box on the rack, I have to take off the lock and find some somewhere else to put it. After all these years I want to fix this.
Old 02-20-18, 06:46 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Well, I don't anymore now that I have a pakiT as I take it everywhere with me, but when I did ride with a lock for my NWT I either carried it in a handlebar bag or a backpack sling. In rare instances I would just thread it through the seat rails and velcro it to the seatpost so it wouldn't rattle.
Old 02-20-18, 08:09 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 121 Posts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
BEsYOf9.jpg (2.69 MB, 216 views)
Old 02-20-18, 09:47 PM
tomtomtom123

Is that mounting bracket on your Brompton something commercially available or did you make it yourself?
Old 02-20-18, 09:58 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Originally Posted by tomtomtom123
Is that mounting bracket on your Brompton something commercially available or did you make it yourself?
Its an Abus mount on Abus U-lock. Not sure if they are still available. I think Kryptonite makes similar. They are not universal, meaning they are made for specific locks. If I were buying again I might consider an Abus Granite folding lock. They are little heavier but more compact, come with carrying case that can be mounted to top tube. You can lock on to wider things.
Old 02-20-18, 11:38 PM
reppans

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Specialized Tricross Comp, Ellsworth Isis, Dahon Speed P8

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Here's an ABUS Bordo folding lock tucked into the space between the seat tube and rear triangle. I think the heavier duty Granite Schwinnsta mention above should also fit there. But, I also usually wheel mine inside.

Old 02-21-18, 12:29 AM
avole
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Kryptonite make a similar lock which attaches to the frame.
Old 02-21-18, 07:44 AM
tomtomtom123

Maybe I'll try to mount the U-lock to the seat post but it already has a rear light wrapped around it and a thudbuster under the saddle. I'll see if I can mount it towards the front, but it might be a problem for the crotch when dismounting, so might have to mount it on the rear under the light. This would make pushing the seatpost down during folding less compact because of the height of the holder, and I'd have to remove the lock before folding.
Old 02-21-18, 11:17 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by reppans
Here's an ABUS Bordo folding lock tucked into the space between the seat tube and rear triangle. I think the heavier duty Granite Schwinnsta mention above should also fit there.
What Abus lock are you using? I looked at my Bordo Granit X-Plus 6500 and I see no way to tuck it there. I carry mine attached over the hump, but I would not mind moving it out of there to allow for a handle at the location.

Old 02-22-18, 07:46 AM
reppans

Originally Posted by 2_i
What Abus lock are you using? I looked at my Bordo Granit X-Plus 6500 and I see no way to tuck it there. I carry mine attached over the hump, but I would not mind moving it out of there to allow for a handle at the location.
I have the combination version - 6100, it should be a bit longer and narrower than yours. You need to remount the rear triangle latch upside down (and rotate the mating catch on the suspension block 180d) to fit it in there. Lastly, I use a bit of inner tube as a shim to angle the top of the Abus holster from the seat tube so the lock can slide freely and clear the seat post quick release. Also you should find examples of install on the net if you search.
Old 02-22-18, 08:20 AM
rjenks

Bikes: Dahon Archer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hiplok

I have a Hiplok Original, just wear it around your midriff, heavy but you don't notice it
Old 02-22-18, 08:27 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

You need to remount the rear triangle latch upside down (and rotate the mating catch on the suspension block 180d) to fit it in there. Lastly, I use a bit of inner tube as a shim to angle the top of the Abus holster from the seat tube so the lock can slide freely and clear the seat post quick release. Also you should find examples of install on the net if you search.
Thanks for the tip about flipping the latch - makes sense and I will look into that and search around too. I also have now a Kamoya kickstand mounted around there invades the space a bit - the photo above is out of date - but the angling of the lock may help with that.
Old 02-22-18, 11:25 AM
reppans

Originally Posted by 2_i
Thanks for the tip about flipping the latch - makes sense and I will look into that and search around too. I also have now a Kamoya kickstand mounted around there invades the space a bit - the photo above is out of date - but the angling of the lock may help with that.
Pleasure.... BTW, I noticed your extra cable on the seat rail - FWIW, THIS is how I prefer locking the Brompton up with the Bordo. Of course, the Brompton's seat post is already reasonably secure requiring tools to remove (ie, does not just slide out of the quick release like most folders), but I think locking the seat post down also helps secure the wheels - by locking the fold it at least limits easy access to the inside wheel nuts.
Old 02-22-18, 02:42 PM
berlinonaut

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
I have the combination version - 6100, it should be a bit longer and narrower than yours. You need to remount the rear triangle latch upside down (and rotate the mating catch on the suspension block 180d) to fit it in there. Lastly, I use a bit of inner tube as a shim to angle the top of the Abus holster from the seat tube so the lock can slide freely and clear the seat post quick release. Also you should find examples of install on the net if you search.
AFAIK the Bordo Granit version will not fit behind the seatpost, only the shorter version of the normal" Bordo in 75cm length or the Bordo light (which is less secure). I also have the Bordo 6100/75, also behind the seatpost, but usually I do not carry a lock on the Brompton as it simply accompanies me everywhere - a big advantage in comparison to other folders. With other bikes I am using a big U-lock that I carry in the saddle bag and just a couple of days ago i received the outcome of the texlock kickstarter campaign: https://www.tex-lock.com/en/

It looks good, is reasonably light (though the lock itself is relatively heavy) and the mechanism for storing it on the bike is really clever. Cannot judge about the security and hopefully never will.
Old 02-22-18, 03:39 PM
reppans

Originally Posted by berlinonaut
AFAIK the Bordo Granit version will not fit behind the seatpost, only the shorter version of the normal" Bordo in 75cm length or the Bordo light (which is less secure). I also have the Bordo 6100/75, also behind the seatpost, but usually I do not carry a lock on the Brompton as it simply accompanies me everywhere - a big advantage in comparison to other folders...
Good catch - I originally googled the 6100 and saw the 90cm version (vs Granit 85cm version), but now double checked that I do have the 75mm version. Yeah, I'm am lugging the stupid lock (and nylon bike cover) everywhere - but have yet to actually need them. At least it's a quality problem.
Old 02-22-18, 04:46 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i

Yes other (Smaller?).. Abus Bordos fit behind the seat tube.. , low. flip the rear latch lever over.. to make space,,

Last edited by fietsbob; 02-22-18 at 04:50 PM.
Old 02-22-18, 04:56 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I have a Armored Cable lock hanging over my B 's M bars.. My Bike Friday Pocket Llama has water bottle bosses on the top tube.

to mount my Bordo There, like the strapped on one above..

Old 02-22-18, 06:26 PM
MJBikes99

Bikes: Trek Domane, Dahon EEZZ, Brompton

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Actually I do not have any lock for my Dahon EEZZ as it is so compact and portable so I can take it to anywhere.
Likes For MJBikes99:
Old 02-22-18, 09:56 PM
2_i 

Pleasure.... BTW, I noticed your extra cable on the seat rail - FWIW, THIS is how I prefer locking the Brompton up with the Bordo.
The cable there serves any purpose of securing something that comes along. I have it on every bike. It could be for a wheel and at times the whole bike if there is no way to circle something stationary with the main lock - better than this than nothing and may work for a few minutes.

AFAIK the Bordo Granit version will not fit behind the seatpost, only the shorter version of the normal" Bordo in 75cm length or the Bordo light (which is less secure).
I can officially say that there is no way of placing Bordo 6500 (85cm) behind the seatpost. The folded lock is too long to fit there. I am looking into placing the lock into a bag hanging from the rear rack. I carried an Abus chain before folding lock there and it worked well.

With other bikes I am using a big U-lock that I carry in the saddle bag and just a couple of days ago i received the outcome of the texlock kickstarter campaign: https://www.tex-lock.com/en/

It looks good, is reasonably light (though the lock itself is relatively heavy) and the mechanism for storing it on the bike is really clever. Cannot judge about the security and hopefully never will.
I got an Ottolock for rental and loan bikes in travel and it is a delight. Smart and featherweight.
Old 02-23-18, 07:31 AM
dancier

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not my bike, but I read about a guy mounting his lock on the seat post of his BF. So he could stop and stabilise the bike with the lock between his legs when taking photo's.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/brianogilvie/4822872079/
Old 02-23-18, 03:39 PM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Sometimes I put my folding lock on the seatpost, like in the photo. But lately it's been on the steerer tube. On the seat tube, I have to remove it if I want to push the seat down when I fold it, but on the front, I can just rotate it a little to keep it from interfering with the fold.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20160809_174332.jpg (425.1 KB, 141 views)
Old 02-25-18, 04:28 PM
2_i 

OK, I managed to move Abus Bordo X-Plus 6500 off the Brompton's hump into an Abus Onyx 2200 Chain Bag tucked under the rear rack and adapted for the location with an upside down flip and some sewing.

Old 02-25-18, 07:49 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Is this lock too big for the top tube?
Old 02-25-18, 08:54 PM
2_i 

Originally Posted by Schwinnsta
Is this lock too big for the top tube?
No, it mounts there fine, see earlier photo, but conflicts with the possible mounting of a carrying handle there - maybe a pulling handle in the future - lined approximately up with the center of mass.
Old 08-11-19, 05:02 PM
tomtomtom123

I found that the Abus eazy kf mount for their U locks was very versatile and secure. I mounted it to my handlebar stem. The mount can rotate so that you can have the lock at an angle. It allowed me to have the lock go around the klickfix adapter for my Ortlieb handlebar bag. The lock won't get in the way of folding since it stays on the outside of the fold. Although, if your handlebar folds to the inside, then you might not be able to do this

I prefer to stick with a hefty U-lock. I've seen videos of the joints of folding locks being split open in less than 10 seconds with a palm sized wedge shaped splitting tool and a wrench.

Last edited by tomtomtom123; 08-13-19 at 05:17 AM.