Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Dumb Question: How do you put on sunscreen?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-18, 04:44 PM
Bahnzo

Bikes: 1986 Schwinn Passage, 2006 Giant OCR3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

I have the reddest nose and cheeks. Yet I use SPF100 cream on my face (I use 70 spray elsewhere). Am I not applying it correctly? I mean, I rub it in, because having a bunch of white goo on my face seems a little strange... But is rubbing it in making it less effective?

I can't believe I'm asking how to apply sunscreen, but.....maybe I'm not doing it properly?
Old 08-25-18, 05:05 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
How long are you riding, and how often are you re-applying? How much are you sweating off?

What SPF100? Just because the number is bigly doesn't mean it blocks everything.
Old 08-25-18, 05:09 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
I agree, SPF100 sounds unlikely. In any event..
"Sunscreens should be applied 30 minutes before sun exposure to allow the ingredients to fully bind to the skin. Reapplication of sunscreen is just as important as putting it on in the first place, so reapply the same amount every two hours.

Sunscreens Explained - SkinCancer.org"

Old 08-25-18, 06:03 PM
ggpepper

Bikes: Traitor & Nashbar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 36 Posts
Sorry, have to say this...
"It rubs the lotion on its skin"
Old 08-25-18, 06:05 PM
Bahnzo

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Right, I've read that the larger numbers don't always mean they block as much as they say. It's a Coppertone Sport, and it's a cream not a spray. I rarely ride more than 90 mins so I don't think it should need to be reapplied. I didn't know the part about 30mins before, so maybe that would be something to consider, but how many people really put on sunscreen 30mins before they go out? With that said, I could definitely do it at the start of my prep for a ride, so like 15mins or so.

Edit: one interesting thing from reading the skincancer.org link, is "To ensure that you get the full SPF of a sunscreen, you need to apply 1 oz – about a shot glass full" but it doesn't make any indication as to what that means in terms of area exposed. Is that to mean someone at the beach, ie: a lot so skin exposed, needs that much? Or what? I know that when I read recently about sunscreen and the SPF numbers not being entirely accurate, they mentioned that most people don't apply enough sunscreen, but again they failed to mention how much is considered enough.

Last edited by Bahnzo; 08-25-18 at 06:13 PM.
Old 08-25-18, 06:23 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Its all personal how you react. I spent a week and a half tour not applying sunscreen in 90F+ heat and sun, and nothing. My wife caked it on, and still burnt some days. Ie you can do it "right" and still wind up red.

But my preferred way is having the wife slather it all over me
Old 08-25-18, 08:27 PM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Some sunscreens are more sweat resistant than others. I like Coppertone or Banana Boat Sport personally, but there are many other good ones out there. I've never noticed any difference in protection with sunscreens rated SPF 50 or above. Sometimes I think that the SPF 100 is more marketing than actual additional protection. If you think about it, if you would normally burn in 15 minutes, an SPF 50 sunblock properly applied should give you about 12 hours of protection. As mentioned, reapply often, especially when sweating heavily. Make sure your sunscreen specifies both UVA and UVB protection.

Other options include:
  • Zinc Oxide sticks that apply like face paint to the areas where you burn the most like your nose and cheeks. Plain will leave a white mark but it also comes in colors. Not the coolest look, but a lot better than a bright red, blistered and peeling shnoz.
  • Wear a cycling hat or visor under your helmet to help shade your upper face.
  • (hardcore roadies look away now) get a helmet with a visor. Some visors are easily removable and can just be clipped on and off as needed.
  • Avoid cycling mid-day when the UV Index is highest.
Some people are just unlucky when it comes to burning. My sister and daughter burn easily and repeatedly. My stepson burns lightly in the spring then tans darkly and doesn't typically burn again.

Last edited by Myosmith; 08-25-18 at 08:34 PM.
Old 08-25-18, 08:53 PM
brianmcg123

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone; 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 35 Posts
If your skin is red but not burning, then you might be having a reaction to it. Or have some other skin irritation causing the redness.
Old 08-25-18, 08:55 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I use the spf100 I think nutragena spray stuff. It’s like 14$ a can. I burn pretty easily and my loving wife worries about this kind of stuff. I learned that some do work better than others and 100spf doesn’t always mean 100spf. Anyways the spray stuff I use now works well but as already stated it’s super important to wait 20-30 before heading out side. Mine says this on the directions. I also reapply on hot days every 90 minutes because of sweat. Since I started to reapply to arms and face on hot days I have not burned in two seasons. I have used a store brand lotion type 70spf and I burned. Walmart to be exact. I don’t skimp on block anymore. Also mine has an expiration date. It actually works less the older it gets. Crazy I thought it was crap to get you to buy more but my dermatologist said nope, expired should be thrown. Usually not an issue except for leftovers from one year to next.

Its a pain to carry it but I got some small goo tubes and put just enough lotion type for reapplication during the ride. I dont like to carry more than I have too but this is worth the trouble!
Old 08-25-18, 10:38 PM
Bahnzo

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Myosmith
Some sunscreens are more sweat resistant than others. I like Coppertone or Banana Boat Sport personally, but there are many other good ones out there. I've never noticed any difference in protection with sunscreens rated SPF 50 or above. Sometimes I think that the SPF 100 is more marketing than actual additional protection. If you think about it, if you would normally burn in 15 minutes, an SPF 50 sunblock properly applied should give you about 12 hours of protection. As mentioned, reapply often, especially when sweating heavily. Make sure your sunscreen specifies both UVA and UVB protection.

Other options include:
  • Zinc Oxide sticks that apply like face paint to the areas where you burn the most like your nose and cheeks. Plain will leave a white mark but it also comes in colors. Not the coolest look, but a lot better than a bright red, blistered and peeling shnoz.
  • Wear a cycling hat or visor under your helmet to help shade your upper face.
  • (hardcore roadies look away now) get a helmet with a visor. Some visors are easily removable and can just be clipped on and off as needed.
  • Avoid cycling mid-day when the UV Index is highest.
Some people are just unlucky when it comes to burning. My sister and daughter burn easily and repeatedly. My stepson burns lightly in the spring then tans darkly and doesn't typically burn again.

I did some reading tonight, and I think for starters I'm going to ditch the 100spf. 50spf seems fine and I agree it seems like 100 is just marketing. I think what I'm probably not doing is using enough. It seems you need to use a good deal more than you think, so I'm going that route.

I'll look into the zinc oxide...is that in the place you'd find sunscreen? I'll also add the visor back to my helmet, although I've been getting burned even when I wore it. I actually wear a "head cooling helmet liner" as it's called. Being bald sucks when it comes to the sun, and sunscreen on the head doesn't work, because it always finds a way to run into your eyes!
Old 08-25-18, 10:42 PM
Bahnzo

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sdmc530
Its a pain to carry it but I got some small goo tubes and put just enough lotion type for reapplication during the ride. I dont like to carry more than I have too but this is worth the trouble!
Could you give me a better idea what you mean by the small goo tubes? I should look for some on the occasion that I do ride more than 90 mins.

Last edited by Bahnzo; 08-26-18 at 12:46 AM.
Old 08-25-18, 10:59 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 5,508 Times in 2,853 Posts
Originally Posted by ggpepper
Sorry, have to say this...
"It rubs the lotion on its skin"
Now I have this stuck in my head.

Old 08-25-18, 11:08 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 5,508 Times in 2,853 Posts
Originally Posted by Myosmith
Other options include:
Newer mineral sunscreens (aka "physical" sunscreens) made with zinc oxide (or titanium dioxide) use finer particles which make them virtually transparent.
I had been using one from Australia, but it is no longer imported, so I am now using this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Equate-Ba...3-Oz/392876177
Old 08-26-18, 01:14 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
I live in Finland so we don't get that harsh a sunlight but I still burn quite easily. In southern Europe I burn severely in minutes (I experienced this the hard way when I took my shirt off when cycling).

But the thing here is that it is actually not allowed to sell sunscreen that has a higher rating than SPF 50. Some manufacturers do mark it as SPF 50+ but that's as high as it goes.
A second important thing to keep in mind is to buy sunscreen that protects from both UVA and UVB.
We buy our stuff from the pharmacy and the 50+spf is so good my wife complains that she won't get tanned when using it no matter how much time we spend outside.

So, pharmacy grade SPF50+ UVA + UVB cream should be a good choice. Something that's also sold in the EU since all that stuff is tested to the same standards here.
Old 08-26-18, 06:22 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by Bahnzo
Could you give me a better idea what you mean by the small goo tubes? I should look for some on the occasion that I do ride more than 90 mins.
Yep, here is the link.

https://www.amazon.com/humangear-GoToob-Bottle/dp/B072XGSQHB/ref=asc_df_B072XGSQHB/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=241933249810&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3413811131299742483&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hv qmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9020363&hvtargid=pla-475723307938&psc=1

I
got mine at a local sporting goods store. You can usually get 3 of these for around $15. They are FAA approved too I guess. I put lotion in one and I buy my GU gel in bulk so that goes in these too for biking.
Old 08-26-18, 06:38 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,518 Times in 7,324 Posts
Have you read the directions on the package? I would start there.
Old 08-26-18, 11:40 AM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts
From everything I've read, stuff like 70-100 SPF is huge overkill. SPF 30 gives you around 95% protection, and the higher numbers provide just a tiny bit more, but at much greater cost. One of the tricks to using sunscreen is to apply it in the morning, well before you go outside and start sweating. I've been using Wal-mart's generic No-Ad SPF 30 sunscreen for decades now, and it works just fine. I lube up my face, neck, ears and forearms while I'm still doing my morning coffee and internet surfing, and I've been riding in the south Georgia summer sun for 3+ hours almost daily, with no reapplication, and I haven't even gotten close to being sunburnt.
Old 08-26-18, 11:55 AM
baldilocks

Bikes: Giant ATX Lite & Schwinn Mesa

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Is there a chance it's wind burn?
Old 08-26-18, 12:34 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
You just can't ride with a bandanna on your face, unfortunately.

This looks wicked though.

Old 08-26-18, 12:36 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Applying sunscreen (and washing it off after) was a subject of enough frustration that I went to a long sleeve breathable jersey, and then for my all-day century ride added a da-brim helmet brim along with the self-made vent cover I was already using. Looked like a dork (though given I was riding a unicycle that was rather unavoidable) but basically managed without any sunscreen.

The shade from the full size model was pretty substantial - starting before dawn I brought a small tube of sunscreen anyway thinking I might want it on my face or neck come midmorning, but with trees and hills often blocking the low-angle paths didn't feel the need.

The one place I should have had it but didn't was between the hem of my shorts and the top of my knee protection; with an older set of same brand shorts there was no gap there, but with the pair I wore there was an inch wide strip that got lightly burned. I'm inclined to try to make some sort of loose extension as a physical barrier there.
Old 08-26-18, 12:44 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
What time of day do you ride? Here is sunny Florida during the summer months we ride in the early AM. I'm usually home before 10:30.
I use SPF 55 year round and have no problems. But every checkup my dermotologist finds spots to spray that are along the helmet line where the skin is covered by the foam shell of the helmet. Go figure.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 08-26-18, 07:18 PM
b88

Bikes: Specialized

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by sdmc530
I use the spf100 I think nutragena spray stuff. It’s like 14$ a can. I burn pretty easily and my loving wife worries about this kind of stuff. I learned that some do work better than others and 100spf doesn’t always mean 100spf. Anyways the spray stuff I use now works well but as already stated it’s super important to wait 20-30 before heading out side. Mine says this on the directions. I also reapply on hot days every 90 minutes because of sweat. Since I started to reapply to arms and face on hot days I have not burned in two seasons. I have used a store brand lotion type 70spf and I burned. Walmart to be exact. I don’t skimp on block anymore. Also mine has an expiration date. It actually works less the older it gets. Crazy I thought it was crap to get you to buy more but my dermatologist said nope, expired should be thrown. Usually not an issue except for leftovers from one year to next.

I use the Nutregena Cooldry Sport spray SPF 60. Its kinda pricey. After the 60, the higher number won't be much more effective. Then on my face, nose, etc I use the Banana Boat sport sunscreen stick spf50. It looks like an oversized chapstick. I find using sunscreen on my forehead, when you start to sweat the products drips down into my eyes and they get very irritated.
Old 08-26-18, 07:25 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Zinc oxide on your cheeks and this on your nose:
https://www.nozkon.com/
Old 08-26-18, 07:41 PM
flyen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can not believe it, SPF100?
Old 08-26-18, 08:33 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
This works for me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.