Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Selling Bikes on Craigslist

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-18, 03:40 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,644 Times in 826 Posts

I am sure we all have our Craigslist stories. You can certainly have some interesting Craigslist encounters. I have recently rearranged and downsized my bike inventory. In doing so I listed four bikes on Craigslist in NOLA. I listed them Monday. They were all in top condition and priced very well. Tomorrow I will deliver the last of the four to a college student whose bike was stolen. As a bonus I am throwing in a decent cable lock. I did get one text from a spammer, but it was painfully obvious and because I had accidentally let my phone number populate the phone number field. I normally kinda code my number out in the text of the ad, and I do not provide an email address. Outside of that one text, I didn't have to deal with a single idiot. I must say that I am impressed. My prices were very good. I only had one person try to talk me down. Despite the bad rap Craigslist often gets, it has served me very well as a buyer and seller.

My best Craigslist deal was a barely used Burley Duet Tandem without a scratch on it. I was in Colorado when the ad hit CL here in NOLA. I called the guy to talk to him about it. I asked if I could in some way give him a deposit. He volunteered to hold it for me until I got back. It was a 2K bike and I got it for 4 or 5 hundered, I can't remember. I didn't try to talk him down it was such a slamming good deal.
Old 09-20-18, 06:58 PM
wingless

Bikes: 2011 Trek 1.2 + 2016 Trek 1.1 H2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
Sounds good. Thanks for sharing the story. Good luck.

Dont' forget to refresh every two days to keep it up top.

When I got my latest bike, I was searching both CL and Offer Up and found my prize in the older listings, after paging though LOTS of recent listings.
Old 09-20-18, 07:19 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
I've never listed one on CL but did buy my RB-T and was glad to find it was not the 59cm he had listed but a 62cm. I do read the listings religiously daily. I have sold a few other things and generally have dealt with nice folks just trying to buy something they want. That's the way it should be.

Last edited by thumpism; 09-21-18 at 09:51 AM.
Old 09-20-18, 07:29 PM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
I basically did the same thing. I’m down to one bike now. That’s really all I need.
Old 09-20-18, 07:35 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

The strange thing about this is that I initially listed the bikes on my club's FB page. I figured I would offer the good deals to people who are generally known to me, and that I wouldn't have to deal with idiots. One guy messaged me asking if the bike was still available. I responeded by asking which one. He answered by saying "sorry, I was just piddling with my phone." That impressed me as odd. Another guy asked if I wanted to trade for a treadmill without a power cord.
Old 09-20-18, 11:33 PM
subsage

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
One guy messaged me asking if the bike was still available. I responeded by asking which one. He answered by saying "sorry, I was just piddling with my phone." That impressed me as odd.
I've done this accidentally too. It's a single aberrant tap that automates that message ("is this still available") to the seller. Not too odd.

I've had nothing but good experiences buying and selling nicer bikes on CL. Same experience with my other hobby of electronic instruments. I think more specialized/niche hobby items will attract like minded people.

It's when I sell more common/household items I've run into some interesting encounters.
Likes For subsage:
Old 09-21-18, 04:32 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by subsage

I've done this accidentally too. It's a single aberrant tap that automates that message ("is this still available") to the seller. Not too odd.

I had no idea that could happen. I learned something today.
Old 09-21-18, 09:33 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
yup, craigslist is great. I've made many ppl very happy & vice a versa. if you get the price right, the bikes fly out of your basement. was thinking I would sell 2 but now thinking I'll hand on to 1 of them a little bit longer
Old 09-21-18, 11:25 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
The value of Craigslist depends a lot on where you are.

If you're in a place with a lot of cyclists, Craigslist is awesome. If you're in a place like me where I can commute to work fot a month without passing another biker, Craiglist isn't as productive.

No one in Baltimore understands the concept of depreciation. Bikes are often listed at 80%-90% of the original sale price from years ago.

I saw one listing recently for a 9 or 10 year old bike that is still made today. The listing price was I think $800. The manufacturer sells brand new ones with improved groupsets and carbon forks instead of alloy for like $950. The seller thinks that because the bike cost $1200 in 2009, that $800 is a deal today. People just don't understand that the comparison shopper isn't comparing today's price to your original sale price. We are comparing today's price to similar set ups on new bikes in the store today. And then we are discounting your bike for being used.

In some places people just can't grasp the concept that I don't care what you paid for it. I care what it's really worth today.

If I want a cell phone, Baltimore Craigslist is great! It's fantastic! I can get great deals all day long. Really great deals. But bikes? I see used Wal Mart kids bikes all the time for MORE than you see brand new kids bike in Wal Mart. If it's used and has training wheels...you're never selling it for $200. It's never going to happen.

I mean there are a few listing for old 1980's road bikes for $20 and that's great. That's someone who understand how the 'garage sale marketplace' works. But there are a TON of "I bought it for $1500 and didn't ride it as much as I thought I would so now I want to sell it for $1400 a decade later" types.
Likes For Skipjacks:
Old 09-23-18, 07:53 AM
Wilmingtech

Bikes: 2013 Ridley Helium, 2017 Blue Pro-Secco EX, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by George
I’m down to one bike now. That’s really all I need.
No! Thats Sacrilege!!!
Old 09-23-18, 06:02 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 351 Posts
Chicago craigslist is a nightmare. I would sell a couple dozen bikes a year...6-8 years ago. Then the idiots started using craigslist. Everyone and their brother was selling bikes. Old Fuji's were one of a kind, super rare, barn finds. Weighing 6 pounds. Mint condition, etc. The common thing now is you list a bike for $200 and the idiots offer $50. As far as selling bikes on Chicago CL...its over, done, kaput.
Old 09-24-18, 12:24 AM
Theycallmegio

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring
Chicago craigslist is a nightmare. I would sell a couple dozen bikes a year...6-8 years ago. Then the idiots started using craigslist. Everyone and their brother was selling bikes. Old Fuji's were one of a kind, super rare, barn finds. Weighing 6 pounds. Mint condition, etc. The common thing now is you list a bike for $200 and the idiots offer $50. As far as selling bikes on Chicago CL...its over, done, kaput.
ive found all my bikes on chicago’s CL. Pretty great deals, straight forward.
Old 09-24-18, 12:29 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
I had a guy over today to shop my commuter. He took it for two test rides and decided it was a size too large. But in spite of the no sale it was a good experience. He was a Cannondale nerd and my bike is pretty rare and a unique build so we enjoyed talking about it.

But a guy was also supposed to come today to buy my home brewing system and he was a no show
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 09-24-18, 11:36 AM
joelcool

Bikes: Road, Commuter, Mountain, Tandem and a couple others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 27 Posts
I've bought 4 bikes on CL - all have been good experiences.
Old 09-24-18, 02:43 PM
Danhedonia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
I used to work in entertainment and now live in what's politely called "a secondary market." Selling guitars and amps on CL has been feast or famine for me; for every knucklehead, there's a nice buyer who feels like a great 'next adoptive parent.'

CL seems somehow cleaned up in the past few years.
Old 10-14-18, 05:54 PM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
I've had some decent experiences selling going back quite a few years. But my most recent was not so good. I advertised a quality Track bike, essentially new, priced it at half the component value (of actual cost not list). All I get are low low low ball offers. Had one guy agree to $50 less than I'm asking. Said he would have the money end of month. Time rolls around a he tries to low ball me as well. Meh, I really don't need to sell, just wasn't riding the bike.
Old 10-15-18, 05:12 PM
Guest User 1923242

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I purchased bikes on CL several times. Since I live in Phoenix, AZ and don`t have a car I asked the sellers ( both times living in Tucson ) if they traveled to Phoenix. They did and delivered the bikes to my front door. Friendly people in Tucson and no harm in asking...
Old 10-15-18, 07:12 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
CL deals are hit and miss. You have to be patient and remain vigilant. One of my better recent deals was a Catrike Villager - BRAND NEW - for $189. Was purchased for an autistic male adult, who rode it for 30 seconds and didn't like it. I forked over the $189 and never questioned it (the $189 price set by the parents was a mystery to me). I flipped it for $900. Score!
Old 07-22-19, 11:26 PM
LadyLily

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am looking for a very particular bicycle (new it costs around $440). I found someone on CL selling it (and other bikes from this company) brand new for half price. The phone number the CL seller is texting me from is from another state.

Is there any way this could be legit? It just seems too good to be true.
Old 07-22-19, 11:57 PM
mattleegee

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Offerup works well sometimes
I have found the best bikes on their in my area as far as pricing being good
Seems in my area the craigslist people are in the know or want alot for their bikes

Guy had a bike on offerup i wanted to use as a donor bike, asked him the lowest price and got $300 off his asking if i picked it up that day, which i did

I sent out a couple responses to craigslist ads and one i did not even hear back from and the other actually raised his price when i told him how well he took care it it.....!!!.....
Old 07-23-19, 06:06 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by LadyLily
I am looking for a very particular bicycle (new it costs around $440). I found someone on CL selling it (and other bikes from this company) brand new for half price. The phone number the CL seller is texting me from is from another state.

The only way to be sure if someone is legit, is to talk with them - either through texts, emails, or voice. If a deal is legit, the seller will be as enthusiastic and earnest as you are. Follow your gut. Using this method, I've met some pretty fantastic people through CL ads. Some of them are now regular contacts.

As far as the out of state phone number, there are many reasons. They may have just moved. They could be in college in your state. Best thing to do is to simply ask. I sold a bike yesterday to a kid would drove in with NY plates on a brand-new Acura SUV. He may have been 19-20, tops. Since NY is two states away, I asked him, and he's going to college here at Dartmouth. Makes sense now.

All you can do is to develop layers of protection. Never give your number or street address until you are comfortable. Many times I'll offer to meet someone (if I'm buying) somewhere, such as a Walmart parking lot. I love buying and selling on CL. Its like a game!
Likes For J.Higgins:
Old 07-23-19, 06:18 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Our area CL got to be such a "crap"show for a while that I completely quit using it. I have gone back recently and found that for my particular area the deals are few and far between. Loads of people listing items for what you can find them at new, sometimes even more. The bikes section is a mix of BBS junk and truly good bikes at prices that just don't make sense, as a poster above pointed out.

With that said, I had a small pile of computer parts here that needed to move. Ebay just didn't make sense for them, so I listed for very competitive pricing and specified the place I would meet with an email relay, no phone number until after we talked via email. None of the items stayed up long and the sales experience was very good.
Old 07-23-19, 06:20 AM
jon c. 

Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
Originally Posted by LadyLily

Area codes these days only indicate where you were living when you got the phone. Which could have been 20 years ago. I don't think half the people I know have a local area code on their cell number. I wouldn't worry about that.
Old 07-23-19, 06:49 AM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts
I'm a fan, and sporadically regular user of my local Craigslist and Armslist, but it seems like the last couple years have really brought the jerk-offs out of the woodwork. It' gotten where I pretty much assume everyone I have contact with is going to be a scammer, stroker, or just ghost on me in the middle of the discussion. That being said, I've largely had good experiences, buying, selling and trading, and met lots of solid local folks, many of which I've come into repeated contact with over the years.
Obviously, you have to be cautious, caveat emptor, and all that, but generally speaking, these internet sites have been a boon to the classified/used market. (you guys remember having to go post ads in the local newspaper back in the day ?? What a PITA that was !)
Old 01-28-20, 08:15 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4383 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
So for those of you who sell bikes and stuff on craigslist, what do you accept as payment? I've read that to avoid scams, people rely on local transactions and cash, but what if the thing that you are selling is expensive - say a high end bike, worth a couple of $k? Still cash?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.