Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Fulcrum advises agains latex inner tubes.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-19, 05:13 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts

Much has been written in the butyl vs. latex ongoin debate.

Now it seems that Fulcrum has come down against the use of latex inner tubes.

I have Fulcrum Racing Zero Ltd. Ed. on my C59. I have Fulcrum Racing Zero Nites on the C60.

Just today I was going through the manual for the Nites (I almost never read the owner’s manual).

While reading through I saw a warning not to use latex tubes because of the risk of overheating causing the tube to blow out.

The manual is both for Fulcrum aluminum and carbon wheels. The warning, however, is not specific to one material or the other.

I have used Fulcrum Racing Zeros, together with latex inner tubes, for a very long time and never had a problem.

I am going to check with my mechanic, but in the meantime, what do you all think?

Old 04-28-19, 05:21 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4197 Post(s)
Liked 3,849 Times in 2,300 Posts
I suspect that the ban is more about controlling liability exposure then any actual mechanical reason. Andy
Old 04-28-19, 05:46 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
I suspect that the ban is more about controlling liability exposure then any actual mechanical reason. Andy
Yea....reading Campagnolo documentation is pretty funny WRT "safety" real or imagined. Pretty much every single instruction is followed with "failure to do this may result in death or injury" or some similar formula.

Last edited by Marcus_Ti; 04-28-19 at 06:03 PM.
Old 04-28-19, 08:07 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26400 Post(s)
Liked 10,373 Times in 7,202 Posts
General Properties of Elastomers.doc

...read it yourself and make up your own mind. Natural rubber (AKA latex) does have a narrower heat working range than butyl. For most of us, it makes no difference. Until that one time it does make a difference.
Old 04-28-19, 09:20 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
General Properties of Elastomers.doc

...read it yourself and make up your own mind. Natural rubber (AKA latex) does have a narrower heat working range than butyl. For most of us, it makes no difference. Until that one time it does make a difference.
Thanks, that was an interesting read.

Latex inner tubes are more comfortable and puncture resistant than butyl...I think the article that you linked supports that.

But I’d hate to have a blow out while bombing it down Potrero Rd.
Old 04-29-19, 06:35 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
I wonder if a side issue is people with latex allergies handling latex tubes?

Latex seems to be the latest substance that people in 1st world countries aren't supposed to handle.
Old 04-29-19, 07:28 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
For those concerned about latex, Continental Supersonic tubes are butyl but just about as light as latex.

Continental Race Light are the next step down - heavier than latex or the Supersonic tubes but not quite as heavy as a full thickness butyl tube. This is a nice compromise and I use these with Vittoria Rubino G+ Speed for a light, responsive setup that doesn't get flats on the north Georgia roads.

As for alergies, my daughter developed a latex alergy working in a restaurant. It is real.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 04-29-19 at 07:32 AM.
Old 04-29-19, 10:40 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH

As for alergies, my daughter developed a latex alergy working in a restaurant. It is real.

-Tim-
Same with my stepson and wife. In their case it happens from wearing latex gloves too long and their skin on their hands get blotchy.

Good thing for Nitrile and all the other options.
Old 04-29-19, 04:16 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,818 Times in 1,539 Posts
fwiw I got a deal with Vittoria Corsa g and latex tubes..

the latex tubes were a bit of a pain to install.... very supple and wanted to pop out, but install looked fine

about 60 miles laster the front tube exploded....Pow, big rip in tube, blew the tire bead of off the rim. I was going super slow so it was not a problem, but it would not have been pretty at speed.

not sure what happened running at 115 psi, nothing poky in the tire, best guess is possible nick/pinch in tire from install or defect

anyway that spooked me so I am running these now https://biketubebrand.com/road-tubes...rformance-tube there are maybe 10 grams heavier than the latex and I can feel any ride difference.....but they do hold air a ton better

Old 04-29-19, 07:34 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
Butane!!!???
Old 05-02-19, 04:22 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 247 Posts
Do not leave your latex tube in a closed black car parked in sun.

Do not use on 5000 foot descents on a rim brake tandem with a trailer.

Next time you do a big descent feel your rims at the bottom. How hot are they? If you drag your brakes all the way down they are hot. If you fly downhill where only MTBs used to go but you have learned how to do it on CX or gravel they could be hot. If you ride that way you've probably had trouble before. If your rim is cool or just a bit warm enjoy your latex tubes.
Old 05-02-19, 05:08 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6187 Post(s)
Liked 4,806 Times in 3,315 Posts
I was all set to agree that it's CYA on their part till I read @63ricket 's post.

I think that latex tubes lack of heat resistance probably is the big reason. Midway down this article at Cycling Weekly they mention the same.

Albeit it is CYA as there is no rule, regulation or law that says we as individuals have to follow the mfrs. recommendation.
Old 05-02-19, 09:42 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
I read 63ricket's and Iride01's posts and thought "wait a minute. Pros have been doing those descents on latex tubes for over 100 years. Yes blowouts from too much pressure is a real issue. So is melted glue. But I never heard of those latex tubes failing from heat. Then I realized that because they were all riding tubulars the latex had a thick layer of cloth between it and the heated rim. With clincher and tubeless, the latex is directly in contact with the rim itself.

Ben
Old 05-03-19, 02:05 AM
srode1
Gravel Rocks

Bikes: Trek Domane and Crockett, BH G7, Niner RLT9, RLT9 RDO

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
Lot's of wheel manufacturers warn against using latex tubes with carbon fiber wheels. I use them on my Enve's for a few years, but I am not doing any hard braking for extended periods. If I lived in a very hilly area with long descents requiring heavy braking I wouldn't use them. But also, if I was doing those types of descents I would not be using carbon fiber wheels either.
Old 05-03-19, 05:28 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I read 63ricket's and Iride01's posts and thought "wait a minute. Pros have been doing those descents on latex tubes for over 100 years. Yes blowouts from too much pressure is a real issue. So is melted glue. But I never heard of those latex tubes failing from heat. Then I realized that because they were all riding tubulars the latex had a thick layer of cloth between it and the heated rim. With clincher and tubeless, the latex is directly in contact with the rim itself.

Ben
Yes, the tube is probably in direct contact with rim. Depends a little on how bead fits and how rim is taped. Problems can definitely occur and if you want to ignore Fulcrum's advice you should pay attention. I can remember getting my rims very hot when there was no way to pass logging trucks. Melting glue happens, just not all that often, and when it does it is most likely from dragging brakes. Which is fine, Federico Bahamontes used to drag his brakes and would even drag his foot. While winning KoM in TdF. If your descending style or terrain leads to overheated rims take a break and let them cool off. Find a spot to pause and enjoy the view.

The person most at risk is the person nervously descending slow while dragging the brake. That rider has enough to worry about already. So take a break and let the rims cool. And if butyl tubes make you feel better by all means use butyl tubes.
Old 05-03-19, 10:19 AM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Rim heat with braking is REALLY noticeable on tandems. Ours routinely got too hot to touch with braking to a halt down a 1/4 mile
40' drop to my house. My solo bike rims get warm but never too hot to touch.

Over heating mention reminded me of Beloki's crash in the 2003 TdeF in front of Armstrong. Attributed to hot "melted tarmac"
it was more likely melted glue and tubular rolloff on a long brutal descent. "Melted tarmac" would so rapidly adhere to tires
as to be obvious with the gravel pickup. Had that happen once back in the '70s when we inadvertently came across a tar and
gravel crew. Took an hour to clean off the tires...... As to Beloki, my recall of a few seconds video of the crash is of seeing the
front tire clearly off the rim and still inflated.
Old 05-04-19, 02:13 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,461 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
With clincher and tubeless, the latex is directly in contact with the rim itself.

Ben
With tubeless, there is no tube, so there is no latex against the rim. Or did you mean to say something else?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-04-19, 08:58 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
I disagree that latex tubes are more flat resistant than butyl, sure latex is more flexible when NOT inflated, but once you have 100 psi or so in the tube all that flexibility is gone and whats left is a very thin tube that is very taut that anything that makes it through the tire will puncture it very quickly.
Old 05-05-19, 06:42 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 351 Posts
Likes For big chainring:
Old 05-05-19, 01:27 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
I wonder if it's a fulcrum thing moreso because there's no tape in these rims? So it would be the latex directly against the rim bed. Not sure why this would matter but just a thought.
Old 05-07-19, 12:55 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I wonder if it's a fulcrum thing moreso because there's no tape in these rims? So it would be the latex directly against the rim bed. Not sure why this would matter but just a thought.
You may be on to something. I run Ambrosio Excellence rims on my Bottecchia and Master and never had an issue/ Those rims use rim tape, the Fulcrums do not.