Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bike clean up and spray paint completed! De Rosa (replica)

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 11-12-14, 06:58 PM
burtay

Bikes: De Rosa(replica)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Guys,

I had a post previously where I couldn't identify what my bike frame was. Thanks to members of this forum, with the info provided I was able to figure out that the frame was Kuwahara and brand of the bike was most probably Apollo.

I just liked De Rosa bikes a lot when I was a kid and couldn't find a decent frame so I thought why not turn the frame into a De Rosa, even though it won't have some specific elements of a real De Rosa, but I wanted to give it a go.

So I ordered some De Rosa decals and a badge at front. Chose a blue colour and though white, brown and blue would go nice together.

I was also new into bikes and it's mechanics but started to strip to bike apart. Removed the old paint, paint the frame blue and the forks cream colour. Got new brown a saddle and handlebar tape. I bought some white cable housing but realized they were too small, so I ended up painting the cable housing with paint that bounds onto flexible plastic.

The rims were awful dirty, specially the spokes were black. So I sanded them clean and finished them off with extra fine steel wool, now they are pretty shiny

Anyway to keep it short, I was working on the bike a few hours after work and managed to complete it within a couple of weeks. I'm really happy with the result and enjoy riding it even more, so I started to ride to work and back every day

I still need to fine tune the gears and I think I'm thinking of changing the shifter cables.

Here are some photos and I've listed the specs of the bike below.

1973 Shimano Dura-Ace Double Cotterless Double Chainwheel set 54t (eg) 42t (gr)
Suntour 6 Speed Freewheel 14-28 (14 - 15 - 17 - 20 - 24 - 28)
Suntour friction shifters
Shimano 600 Front Derailleur
Shimano Eagle II EG10 Rear Derailleur
Sakae/Ringyo (SR) SP-100BL Pedals
VP Components Toe Clips
Sakae/Ringyo (SR) Stem
Sakae/Ringyo (SR) Drop Handle Bar
27 inch Rims Ambrosio 19 Extra
27x1 Gumball tyres
Wheel Hub Sakae/Ringyo (SR)
Gyes Leather Saddle
Seatpost unknown
Dia Compe Brake Levers
Dia Compe Front & Rear Calipers
Tange Japanese Fork
Sakae quick release front and rear
1979 Kuwahara Frame
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1.jpg (109.3 KB, 743 views)
2.jpg (106.1 KB, 483 views)
20141019_120430_1.jpg (100.9 KB, 433 views)
20141026_191200_1.jpg (103.3 KB, 394 views)
20141028_182447.jpg (101.2 KB, 381 views)
20141030_173910.jpg (98.7 KB, 385 views)
20141105_175948.jpg (95.7 KB, 396 views)
20141108_122715.jpg (98.4 KB, 390 views)
DSC00469-2.jpg (92.1 KB, 417 views)
steelisreal.jpg (67.1 KB, 455 views)
DSC00475-2-1.jpg (101.4 KB, 494 views)
Old 11-12-14, 07:12 PM
Savagewolf
KingoftheMountain wannabe

Bikes: V.O. Pass Hunter & Specialized Hardrock

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice work, but I can't help but laugh at the story. I hope it doesn't come true, but I'm just picturing some bike thief with a decent knowledge of what bikes are most valuable walking by this and looking at it in a hurry. "Huh, a De Rosa, that should sell for a lot." He steals the bike and tries to sell it to several people who call him out on it not actually being a DeRosa. Then two weeks later you walk by the bike rack and your bike is there again.
Old 11-12-14, 07:13 PM
FakeFuji

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your rear brake cable is a little short, but it looks great!
Old 11-12-14, 07:18 PM
burtay

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Savagewolf
Nice work, but I can't help but laugh at the story. I hope it doesn't come true, but I'm just picturing some bike thief with a decent knowledge of what bikes are most valuable walking by this and looking at it in a hurry. "Huh, a De Rosa, that should sell for a lot." He steals the bike and tries to sell it to several people who call him out on it not actually being a DeRosa. Then two weeks later you walk by the bike rack and your bike is there again.
hahah I actually thought of a similar thing last week
I bought the bike for $80 (+ spent some amount on top)originally and was keeping it outside during the night but now I take in the house, just because someone might think it worth a few $k's
Old 11-12-14, 07:18 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 2,374 Times in 890 Posts
Old 11-12-14, 07:19 PM
burtay

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FakeFuji
Your rear brake cable is a little short, but it looks great!
yeah have an issue with the rear brake cable, during paint I lost the nuts that go on the end of the cable housing, so it looks very short and it's not functioning properly, so I'm trying to find a solution, whether I can find those nuts that go on the end or might have to buy a new cable.
Old 11-12-14, 10:06 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,826 Times in 1,994 Posts
That rear brake will need a section of housing probably 4 cm longer than it is maybe 6.
That might cascade to a longer brake cable too, but you might be able to shorten the front segment for it to be equal and effective.

As to the masquerade of brands... I cannot say anything nice. Hopefully you did not clear coat over them so at some point things can be redeemed reasonably easily.
Old 11-12-14, 10:19 PM
Tailor

Bikes: A bunch of junkers and a gem or two.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whatever it was originally, it looks great now. I love the look of brazed joints. Add it to your insurance as a high dollar replica (your time has value) if you're worried about it walking off.
Old 11-12-14, 10:41 PM
burtay

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
That rear brake will need a section of housing probably 4 cm longer than it is maybe 6.
That might cascade to a longer brake cable too, but you might be able to shorten the front segment for it to be equal and effective.

As to the masquerade of brands... I cannot say anything nice. Hopefully you did not clear coat over them so at some point things can be redeemed reasonably easily.
once I get hold of an adjustment barrel and a end cab, it should get back to operating properly, that will probably add a few cm.

i haven't clear coated the decals but will do over the weekend as I have no plans on removing them, I'll just enjoy it myself and have no plans on selling it or anything anyway.
Old 11-12-14, 10:45 PM
burtay

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tailor
Whatever it was originally, it looks great now. I love the look of brazed joints. Add it to your insurance as a high dollar replica (your time has value) if you're worried about it walking off.
exactly it's the time that you put into which gives it value in your own eyes, so i'm not worried too much about the cost but would be upset if gets taken away

I had a Trek 1.9 2009 model before this but I don't think i cared or liked it as much as it.
But anyway I'll just have to keep it as safe as possible
Old 11-12-14, 10:48 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage

+1

If it makes you happy, god bless. To me it's rather silly. I don't understand how putting stickers on this satisfies a taste for a bike it isn't. No one who knows even a little about them will find it looks anything like a De rosa, decals or not.

You can call a duck a dog, but if it quacks, it's a duck.
Old 11-12-14, 11:38 PM
burtay

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
+1

If it makes you happy, god bless. To me it's rather silly. I don't understand how putting stickers on this satisfies a taste for a bike it isn't. No one who knows even a little about them will find it looks anything like a De rosa, decals or not.

You can call a duck a dog, but if it quacks, it's a duck.
every one has different views taste etc, some may not like it and may not do it, but what's important for me is how much I enjoyed every moment putting it together and enjoy it even more now. Like I said, I didn't do it to impress people, or trick people for it to be a real De Rosa, so anyone who knows about bikes, I will tell them before they realize anyway.

It's still a bike, I haven't turned a kick scooter into a push bike. Putting drop bars into a MTB which may me more suitable for your quotations, you know what I mean
Old 11-13-14, 12:04 AM
AngryFrankie

Bikes: Trek 400 Elance, Losa Winner, 1994 Schwinn Paramount, Specialized Tarmac Pro, Miele SLX, Ibis Ripley, Colnago Oval CX, 84 Masi GC, 1986 Schwinn Voyageur, 1988 Schwinn Tempo, 1998 Schwinn Peloton, 1991 Paramount Ser3

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 55 Posts
Your sickness is called "having an imagination." Looks like you're having a blast and it looks great!
Old 11-13-14, 07:00 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,217 Posts
I have a friend who's skin crawls whenever he see's a glass too close to the edge of a table. You know I always move them out to the edge...
Old 11-13-14, 07:59 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2924 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,489 Posts

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 11-13-14, 05:09 PM
burtay

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AngryFrankie
Your sickness is called "having an imagination." Looks like you're having a blast and it looks great!
haha thanks
Old 11-13-14, 05:22 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
You have the right attitude about your bike and what it actually is, and I can also understand why some here get bent out of shape, too. Ride it and enjoy it, be honest with someone that asks for details and keep it inside, it looks very inviting. Good job on the rebuild work. Great to know you have gotten into riding it daily as your commuter, fantastic!

Also, it looks like your brake arms are too short, probably should have different diameter wheels for that frame and fork. The brake pads will hit against the tire sidewall, possibly. You may want to look into longer reach brakes, along with that too short rear cable that was pointed out above.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Last edited by qcpmsame; 11-13-14 at 05:26 PM.
Old 11-13-14, 05:32 PM
Wulf

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
You should see the fur fly over on the watch forums whenever replicas are mentioned. Some put lipstick on the pig and call them tributes but they are really cheap superficial knockoffs of brands that have worked hard for their reputations
Old 11-14-14, 06:58 AM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
Nice looking bike! Have a lo to fun with it.

Anybody that knows what a De Rosa is will be humored and anybody that doesn't will just think "Pretty bike".
Old 11-14-14, 07:03 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,217 Posts
Just getting started... https://www.flickr.com/photos/27880623@N05/page1/
Old 11-14-14, 07:10 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
A De Rosa with a claw RD hanger. Who knew such a bike existed. Is that a Columbus sticker I see? I'm not really feeling the cream fork. I think it would look better with the fork the same color as the frame. But, a nice looking bike anyway.

Last edited by seypat; 11-14-14 at 08:10 AM.
Old 11-14-14, 07:18 AM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

Bikes: blue ones.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Attached Images
abibas_34584.jpg (41.5 KB, 470 views)
Old 11-14-14, 07:54 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,213 Times in 1,103 Posts
So far the comments have been kind. I wouldn't criticize you but would ask you to consider the other side.

De Rosa is on my bucket list of Italian bikes. Yes they are not your top of the line $600 Italian bike that you can pick up on CL once a year or less. I have respect for those who sacrifice with devotion and time, which many with a vision and passion do. The high end Italian bikes represent that to me as the country is full of passionate frame builders. To rise to the top and produce brands that are known around the world and have their product be a vehicle of world championships and tours is impressive. To label a low end bike with replica branding is deceptive at best, regardless of personal desire. Either you have one or you don't.

My personal values prevent me from representing something as different from what it is. It would upset me every time I saw it, rode it and most importantly, embarrassing to tell someone that I always admired a brand, can't see ever owning one so miss labeled what I had to satisfy my desire, or worse, represented it as what it is not.

Having said that in a straight forward way, I only ask that you consider the consequences that might arise that would "rain on your parade" with lasting impact. The decision is yours and I respect your decision but don't have to accept what it represents.
Old 11-14-14, 07:57 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,826 Times in 1,994 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender
Are you referring to the Freddy Mertz? You remind me that I need to get a frame or two to Keith. He could be the best there is right now.
Old 11-14-14, 08:11 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3648 Post(s)
Liked 5,381 Times in 2,732 Posts
That's a pretty color. I would probably remove the "D" and the "A" and call it an "EROS." Remove the signature as well. You have the same nice looking bike w/o the issues.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.