Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Recording your trips.

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Recording your trips.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-05, 04:25 PM
mexredknee

Bikes: Trek 7100 Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Recording your trips.

I was intrigued by the idea of recording the trip to protect yourself in court, ect. I was wondering how a recording is accepted? Can anyone give me an actual case where a video helped them win a case (or find a hit-and-run driver)? I was hoping for some details.

I have considered mounting a camera to my bike to record the south and southwest areas of the bike. Before I make the purchase I want to know how a recording was recieved in court or by the police. All experiences are welcomed.

Thanks for your time
Old 12-07-05, 04:55 PM
AndrewP

Bikes: Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I think it would be received the same way security camera shots in variety stores are. Time and date overlays on the picture would be useful. There may not be enough resolution in the shots to get the plate number. The recordings could give you good entertainment and bike advocacy material.
Old 12-07-05, 05:20 PM
mexredknee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks AndrewP.
I'll keep the "Time and Date Overlays" feature in mind when shopping.
Old 12-07-05, 05:50 PM
supcom
You need a new bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Video evidence can be very strong if it gives a clear view of the facts in dispute. It can certainly be challenged as to it's authenticity, when and where it was taken, etc.

You must be awfully paranoid to consider going to the extremes of installing a video camera on the bike to record a crash. Although you did not state where you ride, consider that in urban areas, most car/bike crashes occur at intersections and these usually occur in the forward hemisphere of the bike from right hooks, left hooks, and motorists simply running traffic lights. Very few crashes occur from the rear. In rural areas, most crashes occur from the rear as there are few encounters with cars at intersections and the closing rate of a car to bike along the highway is much faster than a typical urban road.

Unfortunately, a video record of a rear collision may only be useful to your family as rear collisions have a low survival rate.

Consider also that your recording media needs to survive a crash to be useful.
Old 12-07-05, 05:52 PM
Brad M
nub

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
aim one to the side for inadvertent drift
Old 12-07-05, 06:22 PM
mexredknee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by supcom
Video evidence can be very strong if it gives a clear view of the facts in dispute. It can certainly be challenged as to it's authenticity, when and where it was taken, etc.

You must be awfully paranoid to consider going to the extremes of installing a video camera on the bike to record a crash. Although you did not state where you ride, consider that in urban areas, most car/bike crashes occur at intersections and these usually occur in the forward hemisphere of the bike from right hooks, left hooks, and motorists simply running traffic lights. Very few crashes occur from the rear. In rural areas, most crashes occur from the rear as there are few encounters with cars at intersections and the closing rate of a car to bike along the highway is much faster than a typical urban road.

Unfortunately, a video record of a rear collision may only be useful to your family as rear collisions have a low survival rate.

Eventhough I commute on back roads, I've had a few close calls. One car seems to demand the road so as not to move over when passing me. This car has repeatedly come whithin a 1.5' of me. I guess I could get the license and report it but I thought that a video record would be better.

As for getting hit when a car makes a turn, I've antisipated this by not allowing myself to stop next to a car at a turn. I'll hang back just in case the driver doesn't see me.

Paranoid? I guess. I count it being prepared.
Old 12-07-05, 06:48 PM
spandexwarrior

Bikes: Felt F80, Cannondale F400

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mexredknee
I was intrigued by the idea of recording the trip to protect yourself in court, ect. I was wondering how a recording is accepted? Can anyone give me an actual case where a video helped them win a case (or find a hit-and-run driver)? I was hoping for some details.
I dunno about how videotape evidence would help in court, but I do know that my messenger friend finds that drivers are much more "courteous" when he has his video gear on while he bikes.
Originally Posted by mexredknee
I have considered mounting a camera to my bike to record the south and southwest areas of the bike.
One thing I can do to help is show you ways to make videotaping real easy and fun. My friend has an camera attachment which is basically a special lens-thing attached to a cord which attaches to his camera in the AV slot. He velcros the lens part to his helmet and attaches his camera to his top tube. This is where you can find out more about them or make a purchase:https://helmetcamera.com (pictures below).
There are two other ways of mounting a video camera, which I know of. You will find them at these sites:

https://www.digave.com/videos/how.htm

https://www.camerahacker.com/build/Bi...ra_Mount.shtml
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image001.jpg (9.5 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg
mtnbike.jpg (89.3 KB, 12 views)
Old 12-07-05, 06:57 PM
spandexwarrior

Bikes: Felt F80, Cannondale F400

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by supcom
Some video cameras are crash proof. Lucas Brunelle says this about 2 models he uses:
The Sony PC330 offers outstanding quality and a picture comparable to a 3-chipper camera. The Sony PC109 is a little less quality; however it’s lighter and outstanding for night time video. These cameras are bullet proof, I’ve water logged, frosted, and crashed them both.
Old 12-09-05, 07:47 PM
mexredknee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone for all your input. I've decided to hold off for now.
When (or if) I do decide to purchase a video recording device I'll keep all this advice in mind.
Thanks again.