Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

it's finally raining, who's gonna go play

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-16, 07:31 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts

is anyone out riding in the rain just for fun?
Old 10-01-16, 07:53 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
is anyone out riding in the rain just for fun?
I didn’t ride my 14 mile one way commute to work for fun this morning, about 10 miles in heavy rain, but it was the shakedown cruise for my new beater (but quality) Specialized Diverge Elite road bike. Right now the big fan is drying my clothes for the ride home in about four hours.

I spare the carbon fiber bike from wet roads to keep it clean. I also have a heavy duty mountain bike I now reserve for heavy-duty-studded-tire-winter riding. The Elite rides almost as nicely as my Carbon Fiber.

On one rain-riding thread, someone described road spray as a mixture of grease, road grime and liquefied road kill...you call that fun?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_3176.jpg (94.1 KB, 62 views)

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 10-01-16 at 10:49 AM.
Old 10-01-16, 08:03 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
well done sir! nice setup! why cover the rack trunk with plastic inside?

re: road spray - you reminded me that on my old commute to W Newton there was a section at the 117 overpass over 128 where the sewer overflow smelled like a septic tank. I didn't realize what I was riding through until it was too late. needless to say, that was the end of sips from the water bottle

nice water bottle btw - wutz that story?
Old 10-01-16, 09:52 AM
greg3rd48 

Bikes: '19 Fuji Gran Fondo 1.5, '72 Peugeot PX10, '71ish Gitane Super Corsa, '78 Fuji Newest, '89 Fuji Ace, '94 Cannondale R600, early '70s LeJeune Pro project

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 101 Posts
Not for fun but I am out in the rain! Commuted to work this morning in drizzle and I can happily say that the rack/pannier that I installed yesterday worked flawlessly.
Old 10-01-16, 09:58 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
well done sir! nice setup! why cover the rack trunk with plastic inside?

re: road spray - you reminded me that on my old commute to W Newton there was a section at the 117 overpass over 128 where the sewer overflow smelled like a septic tank. I didn't realize what I was riding through until it was too late. needless to say, that was the end of sips from the water bottle

nice water bottle btw - wutz that story?
I have a nice new Topeak Trunk Bag, but I am not sure how water resistant it is. Topeak has a nice rain cover accessory, but it was not available when I purchased, so I’m using a large plastic bag secured with a bungee cord.

The water bottle is a liter of a flavored carbonated water by Polar. I prefer that because it’s more refreshing than tap water, even when it gets flat. It’s hard to unscrew while riding, but I usually drink while stopped anyways. Obviously the cap has to be screwed on to contain the carbonation. If the bottle is partially filled in winter, the air inside contracts and the bottle becomes loose in the cage.

Speaking of winter I have on a few posts repeated the suggestion of the definition of a cold ride as one where the water bottle freezes solid, as a function of temperature and time. For my 14 mile commute of slightly over an hour that occurs at about 15º F.

Finally I have touted my commute, including the destination workplace.

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
… Humbly, if Bike Forums ever had a Best Commute Award, I would be a frontrunner.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…an ideal destination for a cycle commuter. I bring the bike inside near my office, and have a place to hang my cycling clothes and a table fan to dry them off. For the most part I wear surgical scrubs all day so I don't necessarily have to clean off on arrival (I shower at home before the ride). I do have shower facilities though, as well as a coffee shop and cafeteria on site.

Finally, almost all my personal service needs like barber shop, dentist, dry-cleaner/tailor, supermarket and drugstore, and good take-out restaurants are all within walking distance [of work], or a short hop on the bike.
Not to brag, but to illustrate the possibilities.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 10-01-16 at 10:45 AM.
Old 10-01-16, 02:53 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I went out today ready to get wet. But the only water I found was puddles I rode through.
Old 10-01-16, 06:09 PM
Smoke61

Bikes: 2001 Schwinn Fastback Comp; early 90's Schwinn Prelude

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep....went out this morning & slooshed around for a little over 2hrs...
Old 10-02-16, 05:31 AM
NYMXer

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I'm going out on the trails this morning at Stewart in Newburgh. I ought to come back with some mud on both me and the bike.