Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

PCC grocery stores to remove all self-checkout kiosks

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Old 02-01-19, 07:34 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8790 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 333 Posts

Removing technology from a grocery store is exactly the opposite of what many chains are doing. At cashier-free Amazon Go — which has locations in Seattle, Chicago and San Francisco — you can grab a sandwich and a soda and just walk out the door. Your Amazon account is automatically charged as you exit.
At some Walmart and Kroger stores, shoppers can use phone cameras to scan items and pay. And at some big chains, robots are already being used to scan store shelves and alert workers when things need to be restocked.

Snavely says PCC customers weren’t complaining about self-checkout, but since the removal they’re getting mostly positive feedback.

Do you use them? What do you think of all this?

PCC is a local grocery store, a lot like Whole Foods (which also does not have automated checkouts, but has lots of people and short lines generally).
Old 02-01-19, 08:21 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn

Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
Quoted: 3905 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 251 Posts
One of the local supermarket chains (Albertson's) removed all of the self-checks about a year ago. Because of the stealing. People just weren't scanning everything. Supermarkets run really thin margins as it is.

Opposite spectrum, the Super WalMart in town will have 20+ self-checkouts by mid-year, up from the 8 they have now. Why? Because what they lose in theft is less than what they have to pay all of those cashiers. And WalMart can afford the shrink.

When the people of California voted the minimum wage up to $15/hr, what did they expect? I can order McDonald's from an app and schedule when to pick it up.
Old 02-01-19, 08:47 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 9127 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 145 Posts
Hmmm, I hadn't thought much about it.

I prefer the self checkouts.

Hard to steal a lot of stuff when one scans and weighs it, although one could potentially downgrade "bulk" items without a big risk of being caught.

I'll occasionally mix similar bulk items that are variants of the same thing, and at the same price.

And, they do pay a cashier to monitor about a half dozen or more scanners (do they see a readout of what everyone is purchasing and the codes being entered?)

I guess I tend to go to Albertsons when I'm up in Portland, without any self checkouts. I don't think the store ever had them.

Anyway, I don't think of a "human connection" at the checkout,a nd don't need someone approving or not of my grocery purchases.
Old 02-01-19, 09:10 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1670 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 119 Posts
I wouldn't want to spend a billion years looking up the produce codes etc and I'd rather let them pay somebody pay people union wages, if they are truly good.

And I have tried to use these things at Winco and Home Depot, each time calling for help. No, I give up.

Our streets are paved with onions...the drivers aren't tarping
Old 02-01-19, 09:11 PM
base2 

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 48 Posts
The cost of labor theory has been rethought in recent years. $15/hour is the result of a tightening labor market, not the cause of worker expulsion.

That being said, the local Albertsons says they are getting rid of the machines because they can't believe how much people stole...I can't believe how much people actually paid for!

PCC is just doing a smart business choice consistant with corporate image. I've been in many times. They very obviously give a damn about the communities they operate in. A lot of places would do well to take notes.
Old 02-01-19, 11:38 PM
dynodonn
Banned.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1253 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 23 Posts
I use the self checkouts whenever I can, especially when the regular lines are full, and the self checkouts are open, that is unless the item is alcohol or non bar coded produce.
Old 02-01-19, 11:44 PM
SurferRosa

Bikes: old school 531c & campy

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 85 Posts
I always stand in line at Fred Meyer with my Boboli pizza, bran flakes, sack of giant raisins, onion, serano and jalapeño peppers, and box cab.
Old 02-02-19, 12:11 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 8790 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 333 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope View Post
When the people of California voted the minimum wage up to $15/hr, what did they expect? I can order McDonald's from an app and schedule when to pick it up.
That's dumb. PCC is all over Seattle, where we have a $15 per hour wage, and they're hiring more people here. I guess we didn't get the memo this was supposed to cripple our economy, I'll tell Facebook they should stop their plans to expand here.
Old 02-02-19, 12:26 AM
Kedosto
Ambulophobic

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 82 Posts
I hate self checkout and never use it. No store has ever struggled to stay in business because the cashiers were too highly paid. And what customer has ever been better served by having to do the job themselves? What’s next? Take my car to the oil change shop and they hand me a wrench and filter and point me to the self serve bay? So great, as the customer I get to do the work and the former cashier gets to sit at home unemployed. Meanwhile, Mr Smartypants CEO is convinced he’s Gods gift to the grocery business because of all the money he’s saved by cutting jobs. So I do the work, the cashier’s unemployed, and the CEO adds a home theater to one of his McMansions. Way to build a country.

-Kedosto
Old 02-02-19, 12:56 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
That's dumb. PCC is all over Seattle, where we have a $15 per hour wage, and they're hiring more people here. I guess we didn't get the memo this was supposed to cripple our economy, I'll tell Facebook they should stop their plans to expand here.
Seattle. Seattle/Everett/Bellevue Labor Force, 1.7 million. Inland Empire (San Bernardino/Riverside/Ontario) Labor Force, 2.1 million. If every man, woman, and child in Washington state got two jobs, you'd be less than half the size of the California workforce.

Californians already pay more taxes than the residents of 44 other states. California’s minimum wage hike has as much or more to do with powerful government labor unions than it does with the young workers starting out on their first job at minimum wage. This is because a large number of state and local government union contracts are linked to the minimum wage. This is why the California Department of Finance estimated that the minimum wage law would end up costing state government an additional $3.6 billion annually. In addition, the minimum wage law will also ripple into the cost to employ the state’s 300,000 K-12 public school teachers, with the added cost to the beleaguered California taxpayer ranging from $6 to $10 billion.

Thus, California’s $15 minimum wage law will have two big effects: it will greatly increase labor costs in small town and rural California while hitting taxpayers for as much as almost $14 billion a year for public school teachers and other government employees.

The state is already drowning in debt, so it's more taxes coming to try to plug the hole. The $15/hr doesn't just get conjured out of thin air.
Old 02-02-19, 05:51 AM
chewybrian 
"Florida Man"

Bikes: '16 Bob Jackson rando, '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by base2 View Post
PCC is just doing a smart business choice consistant with corporate image. I've been in many times. They very obviously give a damn about the communities they operate in. A lot of places would do well to take notes.
Publix has never had self-check and maybe never will. They have incredible customer loyalty because they have a strong identity which drives everything they do. Any money they 'waste' by having enough staff to give great service comes back to them. Like so many others, I am willing to spend a bit more to go to Publix where they have their act together all the time. I haven't been to Walmart for groceries in years.
Old 02-02-19, 07:42 AM
nondes 
Northern Rider

Bikes: 1999 Litespeed Tuscany 105, 2007 Marin Palisades Trail, 2006 Burley Duet tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 36 Posts
I avoid self-checkouts. I think human interaction is important, and I want these people to have jobs.
Old 02-02-19, 08:41 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX, 5200 & 7700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 34 Posts
First, off the bat... I cannot stand them. If given the choice of standing in line behind 4 people or using the self checkout, I will opt for the cashier's line. I would say that at least 6 out of the 10 times I use them I end up requiring some sort of assistance. Usually if there is an attendant I will just go over to their register and ask them if they would please check me out. I've never had one of them refuse.

I enjoy my trips to the market. I enjoy seeing the same faces and building relationships with them. They might not be the deepest of relationships but I enjoy being cordial and friendly when I'm out in public.
Old 02-02-19, 08:53 AM
base2 

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope View Post
Seattle. Seattle/Everett/Bellevue Labor Force, 1.7 million. Inland Empire (San Bernardino/Riverside/Ontario) Labor Force, 2.1 million. If every man, woman, and child in Washington state got two jobs, you'd be less than half the size of the California workforce.

Californians already pay more taxes than the residents of 44 other states. California’s minimum wage hike has as much or more to do with powerful government labor unions than it does with the young workers starting out on their first job at minimum wage. This is because a large number of state and local government union contracts are linked to the minimum wage. This is why the California Department of Finance estimated that the minimum wage law would end up costing state government an additional $3.6 billion annually. In addition, the minimum wage law will also ripple into the cost to employ the state’s 300,000 K-12 public school teachers, with the added cost to the beleaguered California taxpayer ranging from $6 to $10 billion.

Thus, California’s $15 minimum wage law will have two big effects: it will greatly increase labor costs in small town and rural California while hitting taxpayers for as much as almost $14 billion a year for public school teachers and other government employees.

The state is already drowning in debt, so it's more taxes coming to try to plug the hole. The $15/hr doesn't just get conjured out of thin air.
1.7 million minus 2.1 million equals 0.4 million. So Seattle (and surrounding area) is 80% of Los Angeles (and surrounding area)

I suspect $15/hour sounds ludacris to the good Doctor, but that is probably because the labor market where he lives in is pretty slack. Even if $15 was available there is no one to sell goods/services to in numbers that make the math work. In his mind it would drive up operating cost because in his mind there is hoards of workers dying to do the job for a hot meal & a pack of Marlboro's. He may be right...in his labor market.

The difference in the urban/rural divide is in places where high taxes resulted in investment in infrastructure, easy transportation, readily available raw materials, business tends to grow & do well because the profits always exceed taxes. (infinite v/s finite game play theory) The reality in those areas is it can be hard finding workers to show up for $15 is hard when the next factory over is offering $20. The cost of a $15 minimum is not doing it sooner. Infrastructure investment to support industry must be paid for.

It's ok to change your model. Los Angeles & Seattle have adopted the infinite game play model and do quite well for those that participate in the game.
Old 02-02-19, 09:35 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

The Inland Empire is not the LA area. My point was that Washington’s biggest metro area has a smaller workforce than California’s 6th or 7th largest area. LA, San Diego, the Bay Area, and Orange County are all significantly more populated than the IE.

The population of the Bay Area is greater than the whole state of Washington. You cannot scale your numbers to match what goes on here.

LA County labor force, 5.2 million. Just over triple Seattle metro.
Old 02-02-19, 10:32 AM
dynodonn
Banned.

Originally Posted by mtb_addict View Post
I like taking my time at self checkout to count loose change. I can get rid of all those pesky pennies and nickel and dime and don't have to have the cashier hurrying me.
On occasion when both a cashier and a self checkout are open, I'll use the cashier, but more often than not, the cashier generally has an uncaring attitude, and making me wish that I had opted to use the self checkout in the first place.
Old 02-02-19, 10:34 AM
no motor?

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1049 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by base2 View Post
The cost of labor theory has been rethought in recent years. $15/hour is the result of a tightening labor market, not the cause of worker expulsion.

That being said, the local Albertsons says they are getting rid of the machines because they can't believe how much people stole...I can't believe how much people actually paid for!

Out local version of Albertson's (Jewel) got rid of them a couple of years ago due to losses. Part of the losses were theft, part people inadvertantly not scanning things part people trying to scan things and not having the equipment work. I did that once when I thought I'd bought a few things and didn't realize that the software and equipment hadn't worked for my order - it kept telling me the items I'd scanned were unexpected and wouldn't scan my card until after all the scanning was done. But I thought it had scanned the card when I put it in while scanning, and usually left without getting the receipt so didn't realize I hadn't payed until after I was gone. When I called them to tell them what had happened and the 3 items I'd got they basically told me to go away, so I quit owrrying about it.
Old 02-02-19, 02:29 PM
dynodonn
Banned.

Some would throw my vegetables and fruits into the bag. Especially the younger kids.
Generally for me, I greet them first, and then the conversation barely rises over my having one with the self checkout machine. I had one younger cashier basically give me a scornful look when their line was open, and I got the impression that I interrupted their being able to stand around at the checkout counter.
Old 02-02-19, 02:42 PM
roadfix
hello

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I belong to the largest cooking forum and this subject hasn't been brought up yet.
Old 02-02-19, 03:17 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime View Post
First, off the bat... I cannot stand them. If given the choice of standing in line behind 4 people or using the self checkout, I will opt for the cashier's line. I would say that at least 6 out of the 10 times I use them I end up requiring some sort of assistance. Usually if there is an attendant I will just go over to their register and ask them if they would please check me out. I've never had one of them refuse.

I enjoy my trips to the market. I enjoy seeing the same faces and building relationships with them. They might not be the deepest of relationships but I enjoy being cordial and friendly when I'm out in public.
I prefer the self checkout for Walmart shopping. I get out much faster. No more waiting for the cashier to finish friendly conversation with customers about the weather, or her grandchildren or gosh knows what; or having to wait behind customers who take what seems forever to write a check (what ARE these people writing that takes so long?); or worse yet, the women who wait for everything to be rung up and then decide to fish through their handbag for wallet, checkbook and coupons.

I am not there to socialize with the cashiers. I wonder if any cordial and friendly types bring treats and/or beer to the supermarket to tip the cashiers to show appreciation for their service.
Old 02-02-19, 03:26 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by Kedosto View Post
I hate self checkout and never use it. No store has ever struggled to stay in business because the cashiers were too highly paid. And what customer has ever been better served by having to do the job themselves?
Customer bagging of groceries works pretty well for the shoppers at Aldi.

Self service works OK at the gas pumps too. Somehow the customers manage and don't seem to crave conversation with the cashiers.
Old 02-02-19, 04:25 PM
SurferRosa

Bikes: old school 531c & campy

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 85 Posts
Why does the one lady at Fred Meyer always ask if I want to "round up" and give to her charity that week? No other cashier ask me that. She always asks, I always decline, and the next time I'm in, she will ask again. Is this her way of putting me "in my place"? Is she trying to persuade me to use the self-check out? Does she just like hearing rejection? It's not like I'm hard to forget...
Old 02-02-19, 06:36 PM
Zedoo
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Bikes: several

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 895 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
I like taking my time at self checkout to count loose change. I can get rid of all those pesky pennies and nickel and dime and don't have to have the cashier hurrying me.
That is why I prefer self checkout.
Old 02-02-19, 07:22 PM
rossiny

Bikes: Rossin,Raleigh,Casati

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Double work.

On a slightly different note, I have been thinking about how much extra labor and bags are used because of checking out at the store. It seems like technology some times creates more work and waste than before. We used to have a corner grocery store as a kid and some customers would just use their own rolling carts, then they had some heavy duty reusable leather or vinyl bags and we would just pack the groceries and off they go. Well back then a lot of people walked. I would think that with today's tech, we would be able to eliminate plastic bags and triple handling a product. I mean you load the cart, you load the conveyer belt, the cashier scans, the bagger bags, you take and put it in your car, then you unload at home...man I am tired !! Hehe lol.. . Why not have a reusable carts like before that has like compartment baskets, you have automatic scanner as you leave the store , it checks out automatically , then you can just roll your groceries to your car. The cart is made in such a way so it tilts and has 4 wheels so you tilt and slide into your trunk, then when you go home it just tilts out in reverse . And u are only lifting half the weight since when u lift some thing in that manner you only lift half the weight. The advantage is you dont triple handle a product, you dint use billions of plastic or paper bags. .

Last edited by rossiny; 02-03-19 at 05:24 PM.
Old 02-02-19, 08:24 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Soma Smoothie, Miyata City Liner, Specialized FSR Comp, Fuji Professional

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1168 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 41 Posts
Some of our local Stop and Shops have customer bar code scanners. They work great and you scan and bag as you go. Then zap the scanner at a self checkout or 10-12 item aisle and you save 10 minutes.

I could see see where they get theft issues though, but they do random checks so that helps.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.