Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

SPD or SPD-SL?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

SPD or SPD-SL?

Old 08-09-19, 06:31 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3341 Post(s)
Liked 3,442 Times in 1,740 Posts
Originally Posted by bradyweb
I'm rocking the Giro Techne shoes with my SPD pedals.
I find it very hard to walk on a road shoe with a bare SPD cleat, very "tippy" from side to side.

Do you use an adapter, like this one from Wellgo:

Wellgo Cleat Set 98R

Old 08-09-19, 10:55 PM
Robert A

Bikes: 2019 CAAD12, 2015 Specialized Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 45 Posts
Those are my pedals as well. There's no shame using SPD on the road. Just invest in good shoes.

Originally Posted by ronin4740
I rode a century on these a couple of weekends ago:

https://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-PD...kaAil1EALw_wcB

They're nearly as light as a set of Ultegra SPD-SL pedals but they let me wear my MTB shoes which I can walk in MUCH easier than a set of Road shoes... And unlike double sided Mountain Bike SPD pedals these have a little extra surface like the Ultegra SPD-SL pedals so they're more comfortable for longer rides.

Just check the tension before going for the first ride. Out of the box the left one was so tight I couldn't get a cleat into it until I backed it out a bunch of turns...
Old 08-10-19, 12:18 PM
bradyweb

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV Disc Ultegra | Fuji Sportif 1.5 - 2017 | Windsor Cyclo Cross Bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
I find it very hard to walk on a road shoe with a bare SPD cleat, very "tippy" from side to side.

Wellgo Cleat Set 98R
Agreed. It is difficult to walk in a road shoe with SPD cleats, not to mention the tap dance concrete grinding sound as you try. I was not aware of the adapter so thank you for pointing out its existence. I'm seriously about to get me a set!
Old 08-10-19, 01:25 PM
bradyweb

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV Disc Ultegra | Fuji Sportif 1.5 - 2017 | Windsor Cyclo Cross Bike

Wellgo Cleat Set 98R
I actually changed my mind after shopping around and looking at different products. I just ordered a pair of these SPD cleat covers. I'll see how these work out.

Old 08-10-19, 03:06 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3341 Post(s)
Liked 3,442 Times in 1,740 Posts
Originally Posted by bradyweb
I actually changed my mind after shopping around and looking at different products. I just ordered a pair of these SPD cleat covers. I'll see how these work out.

Those cleat covers looks pretty slick, they should at the very least protect floors from damage by the metal SPD cleat.

But I wonder if they will help with the "tippy", rolling in-and-out of the foot while walking. That's what makes those pontoons useful.

After about 20 years using SPD with road shoes, I'm finally "throwing in the towel." I just ordered some Vittoria Ikon shoes from Left Lane Sports (70% off), and some Look Keo compatible pedals.

Vittoria Ikon road shoe

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 08-12-19, 06:54 PM
bradyweb

Those cleat covers looks pretty slick, they should at the very least protect floors from damage by the metal SPD cleat.

But I wonder if they will help with the "tippy", rolling in-and-out of the foot while walking. That's what makes those pontoons useful.
Terry- Since I received my cleat covers today I wanted to fill you in on what I find. They are what you would imagine they are; very light weight rubber type cover. With that said, I immediately felt a remarkable difference as I started walking in my road shoes with exposed SPD cleats. As far as walking on concrete it felt like wearing a completely different shoe. I now feel like when the cleats were exposed the temptation to walk awkwardly was mostly mental. We of course try to walk delicately because we are grinding on the hard surface and even making awful sounds and therefore trying to walk on the extreme end of our heals or toes. With the covers on, I walk completely normally and smooth as silk. Seriously, I can walk on these shoes and cleats while appearing and feeling to walk almost like in tennis shoes. There is no sound and it feels completely stable. I'm shocked actually at how much of a difference it is!

And I never would have even given it a thought or looked these up if you hadn't have mentioned the adapters/pontoons. It's like a whole new world pre and post ride for me! Thanks, man!
Likes For bradyweb:
Old 08-12-19, 07:37 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 475 Posts
I've had triangle pedals for 20 years. Look Delta, Keo, and SPD-SL depending on the year. I never complained.

My gravel bike and pedicab had SPD. I like being able to walk but I've never considered them as good on the open road.

I just recently switched to Speedplay. I have a kid due anytime and it's been super hot, so I've only gotten 2 short rides on them. So far I like the adjustable float and dual sided entry. Something seems off about my right leg but I don't have them dialed just yet.

As a general rule, think road shoes and pedals for riding as long and fast onbthe road as you can. Not for walking. Not for potty breaks.

SPD or similar, coffee shops, walking sections, and foot dabs are all ok.
Likes For rosefarts: