Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Old 09-04-18, 11:05 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
Officially on break; at least until after my Spain vacation in Mid October.

Having a massive inferiority complex, I find it hard to temper my training. If taking a day off, I feel like everyone else is getting better and I'm not. There are some locals I kind of track and try to keep pace with, but I need to remind myself these guys are 10-20 years younger and more talented. IMO once you hit masters 40+, you need to take a few weeks once or twice a year. My body needs a rest. Both my knees have tendinitis, my hip issues are creeping back, and I just felt tired all the time. Plus coming back after 2 years and having the best season of my life (which is probably the worst of everyone elses lol) gives me comfort I can rest and come back strong.

I also don't have to ride to lose weight, which is nice.
I'm not sure I agree with your comment about masters needing to take 1-2 week breaks from the bike more than younger people do. My understanding is that masters lose more fitness more quickly by being off the bike and that its harder to regain that fitness once lost. That said, I think its much more vital that masters are smart about training- not doing volume for the sake of volume (or because that's how the younger folks do it and we want to feel like our physiology is the same as theirs) or popping off a really intense ride on a day where you're supposed to be chill because someone decides to challenge you on a ride and you take the bait. If I'm supposed to be chill I just go out with my fredly friends and let them beat me up to their heart's content. They love it and I achieve my ride objective and get to hang with them again.

I'm 52 years old and haven't had a full week off the bike since Nov 2015. Still going strong, mentally and physically. Its all very well-managed by @Racer Ex and I get it that everyone doesn't have the luxury of a coach to manage their cycling life. If you tend towards over doing things and/or injury, or if you just need a break from cycling, it makes sense to take a week off here and there. But I just don't agree that its necessary or even ideal for masters cyclists/racers. Not intended as a criticism of your decisions as an individual, just disputing that this is a "truism".
Old 09-04-18, 11:27 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Another of the 6x3min workouts. Queue the Nike tagline. You can make it 3 minutes. It's pretty fun to think about doing these at 70w more than a year ago.

I've wondered, when do people ever get curious and go see a sports physician for a checkup? All seems good, just curious. You know, the whole HRM, lactic, VO2 testing stuff. Local place does it all in 90min for $150. I've spent more on bike crap I don't even probably need.

For some reason I feel if you're healthy/normal, that it's pretty harmless up to maybe the mid 300's watts for 20min power. I won't even ever make it that far anyway. I could see a person making 350+ for 20min going in at some point.

Why do I ask?
I'm starting to have a low enough resting rate I have to make a conscious decision to stand up properly so I don't get light headed if I've been chilling out in my chair or on the couch.
Old 09-04-18, 02:55 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2503 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,568 Posts
@Hermes and @Heathpack The course is quite tough (60 mi. of primarily singletrack, 10,000' of climbing) and aptly called "Grizzly" . Honestly I am by no means an Ultra guy and will not be in contention at all for the win. Looking at past results the race gets totally blown apart and for me it's more about finishing with a time and effort level that I can be proud of, less to truly compete, as those guys are way out of my league.

Last year finishing times varied between 5 and 8.5 hours... If I can finish it in 6-6.5 I'll feel really good about the ride, but again the time and place is secondary for me as I'm not really "racing" it and I hope to look back on it fondly.

@furiousferret just take a break man! Some people like to hammer and stay in shape all year long, some don't (like me). Let them have their (continued) time in the sun and know that you'll be back at it later on. On a similar note, I've had a couple moments recently where I rode like I had my same fitness from two months ago and put myself in a bad, bad place - one came during a Men's A Scratch Race where I was over-reaching with my pulls during the first half, and the other during a 4 hour ride last weekend where I went too deep too soon.

Last edited by TMonk; 09-04-18 at 04:10 PM.
Old 09-04-18, 02:57 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

On a more acute note, I'm missing track tonight b/c I'm too busy at work. Short work week w yesterday off and a company event Friday and I just have too much to do. I'll find the time to race next Tuesday and then I'm all wrapped up until April 2019 when it starts again. Will still drop in for the odd Madison workout or off season event.
Old 09-04-18, 09:37 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Last race ride of the year. I won! From a sprint, none the less! Small group, but I beat one of the best sprinters in the state and a dude a lot bigger than me. Setting up well for the short stuff at lotoja. May not have the 9 hour fitness... But let's be honest, will anyone?

Come a long ways from getting dropped last year to beating some of the same dudes at their fastest in the year. I'm gonna call that a success for this season that has mostly been full of missed goals.
Old 09-04-18, 10:51 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 2,438 Times in 1,425 Posts
Fabulous track workout at Velo Sports Center in Carson this PM. My wife is on Vacation so she was along as well. Today's workout was 5x6flying laps with the motor. However, as usual, we had a execution feature with the motor. My wife and I were partners and one would start on the motor and the other behind the first rider. The motor would lead for 4 laps above race pace and then pull off. After two laps on the motor, we exchanged positions. After the motor pulls off, the rider who was on the motor holds the pace or increases it and then we exchange again for another lap.

I had the chance to say hi to Jim Manton of ERO and I was able to set up an impromptu aero testing session tomorrow at VSC. This is going to be a lot of fun.
Old 09-06-18, 12:41 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Aero testing yesterday that was a blast and learned a lot as usual from Jim Manton of ERO. The most interesting result was a test we did for fun which was have my wife ride wired up in her new base position and have me ride behind her. This was the first time someone did this at ERO and Jim was like a kid in a candy store.

So for you brainiacs...was her CdA materially lower, higher or stayed the same? I was within 6 inches or less of her rear wheel with my front wheel at all times and we were riding at 25 mph.

Prior to the aero testing, I did some constant power riding in the pole lane in the drops using my Scatto endurance bars Fast Forward rear disc and front pentaspoke with Vittoria 19 mm EVO CS 180 pasig. I had an Evade helmet and road suit. 20 mph 160 watts.
Old 09-06-18, 02:57 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes

So for you brainiacs...was her CdA materially lower, higher or stayed the same? I was within 6 inches or less of her rear wheel with my front wheel at all times and we were riding at 25 mph.
Lower
Old 09-06-18, 05:23 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
20 mph 160 watts.
That's a good 30-40 watts less than it takes me to hold that speed on my road bike.

Demain, on roule!
Old 09-07-18, 11:21 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

That workout that last week I bonked, I had success with today. The 3x10min with 3u2o3u2o.

I'm surprised at the lactic feeling for that workout versus the HR. I'd expect the last set to get to low 180s. Nope. Only up to 175 or so on the last set. Interesting.

Each set was at 270w/300w. My old 20min # is 280w.

Still pee in the bucket to a lot of people, but I'm happy with where I'm getting to. It's fun to use it when I get the chance.
Old 09-07-18, 03:28 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Aero testing yesterday that was a blast and learned a lot as usual from Jim Manton of ERO. The most interesting result was a test we did for fun which was have my wife ride wired up in her new base position and have me ride behind her. This was the first time someone did this at ERO and Jim was like a kid in a candy store.

I've always heard there's a bit of a "push" from the rider behind due to the wake/trail/whatever it's called being extended past the second rider and that it would lower CdA.

Curious to know if that's the case.
Old 09-07-18, 04:32 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by rubiksoval
I've always heard there's a bit of a "push" from the rider behind due to the wake/trail/whatever it's called being extended past the second rider and that it would lower CdA.

Curious to know if that's the case.
The answer is yes and it is significant. In my wife's case it lowered her CdA enough to produce about 4% more aerowatts based upon the power she was making at the time. ERO has the capability to wire up 4 riders and optimize positions in a pace line for team events.
Old 09-08-18, 10:57 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

@hermes, interesting stuff. That’s what I would have assumed, having a person riding behind you gives you more of a “tapered” effective body shape and decreases turbulence behind.

I had rest days on Tues and Fri, recovery ride to coffee shop with a friend on Thursday and a short 45-min TT workout on Wed. Big taper/rest after a couple of consecutive high volume weeks. Openers today for a 20k TT tomorrow at Piru. Should be “interesting” (meaning sucky). I’ve probably improved muscle strength with a summer’s worth of mountain biking but I haven’t spent much time at threshold lately. Going there when I haven’t been there in awhile is always a very rude awakening for me. Plus it’s gonna be pretty hot. 85F at race start in a black skin suit and minimally vented black helmet and visor.... Sometimes that bead of sweat slowly rolling down your face can be maddening...

But no biggie. The primary objective tomorrow is not so much to try to win as it is to get my head back in the TT groove. I’m gonna try to focus on good aero form, racing with my head where is supposed to be. And more experience with racing in the heat and my heat management techniques is always good.
Old 09-08-18, 11:15 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Have a good race tomorrow @Heathpack!

Shortly I'm going to do a Grizzly 100 training prep ride, 7+ hours on the MTB, just riding all day. There wont be as much climbing, but I'd like to ride for longer than I expect it to take to finish the event. I'm even piloting out the same breakfast I plan on having on race day, two hard boiled eggs, a big banana nut muffin and some instant coffee. I don't want to bother with cooking the morning of as I'll be camping.
Old 09-08-18, 11:39 AM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
The answer is yes and it is significant. In my wife's case it lowered her CdA enough to produce about 4% more aerowatts based upon the power she was making at the time. ERO has the capability to wire up 4 riders and optimize positions in a pace line for team events.
Need to get enough riders on the track to make a continuous loop where everyone is on a wheel...
Old 09-08-18, 12:10 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Originally Posted by TMonk
Have a good race tomorrow @Heathpack!

Shortly I'm going to do a Grizzly 100 training prep ride, 7+ hours on the MTB, just riding all day. There wont be as much climbing, but I'd like to ride for longer than I expect it to take to finish the event. I'm even piloting out the same breakfast I plan on having on race day, two hard boiled eggs, a big banana nut muffin and some instant coffee. I don't want to bother with cooking the morning of as I'll be camping.
Haha if you want hot coffee the morning of, I will brew you some and bring it over. I think we're gonna ride Hanna Flats that day and on Sunday our UnFondo is gonna be: Fern-(all of) Skyline-Camp Osito Rd-down Pine Knot- up Cabin 89/upper Pineknot-Skyline West from Grandview-down Fern. Just in case you want to stay an extra day and ride a 30 mile recovery ride.

I am just planning my Utah trip, we'll be in St George starting next Fri and then Moab starting Wed. Wow it looks like there's some great trails in both places.
Old 09-08-18, 01:51 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Got talked into joining a rec soccer league (8v8 coed) and we had our first game last night. On turf, so it was hot as balls. And much harder than grass. Arches of my feet and hips so sore this morning that I could barely shuffle downstairs for coffee.

I think my aerobic fitness is okay, but my joints and soft tissues are just not used to the pounding.
Old 09-08-18, 02:40 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by Heathpack
@hermes, interesting stuff. That’s what I would have assumed, having a person riding behind you gives you more of a “tapered” effective body shape and decreases turbulence behind.

I had rest days on Tues and Fri, recovery ride to coffee shop with a friend on Thursday and a short 45-min TT workout on Wed. Big taper/rest after a couple of consecutive high volume weeks. Openers today for a 20k TT tomorrow at Piru. Should be “interesting” (meaning sucky). I’ve probably improved muscle strength with a summer’s worth of mountain biking but I haven’t spent much time at threshold lately. Going there when I haven’t been there in awhile is always a very rude awakening for me. Plus it’s gonna be pretty hot. 85F at race start in a black skin suit and minimally vented black helmet and visor.... Sometimes that bead of sweat slowly rolling down your face can be maddening...

But no biggie. The primary objective tomorrow is not so much to try to win as it is to get my head back in the TT groove. I’m gonna try to focus on good aero form, racing with my head where is supposed to be. And more experience with racing in the heat and my heat management techniques is always good.
As a yatchwoman, another way to think about it is we created a longer hull boat and the longer the hull, the faster the hull speed prior to hydro planing.
Old 09-09-18, 10:31 AM
johnybutts

Bikes: Type of horse.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've been getting 6-7 hrs per week in on the trainer. This past week, work really cramped my style and forced me into a rest week with only 4 hrs total. I also have started eating carbs again, and have faced some major stomach issues. Despite this, managed a new recent personal best of 221W for 20 minutes, which puts me solidly at the bottom of a cat 4 pack for FT. Weight is continuing to drop, albeit more slowly. Weighed in at 173.9lbs today. Down 1 lb for the week. Body fat % is down from 16.5% to 16% week over week.

Consistency is key. I don't have any near-term targets/goals, but just staying on the bike consistently and trimming up.

New bike is in, need to schedule a fit, but we went under contract on a house last week and will be moving soon. So I will be both poor and time-crunched.
Old 09-10-18, 06:52 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Offseason! Started a lifting plan today. Definitely still have some fatigue in my legs from LoToJa. I guess that's to be expected. My squat numbers were much lower than I was expecting.

Tentative plan is about 8 weeks of full body lifting and the occasional HIIT type ride mixed in with the fun things I enjoy (running, mtbing, no intervals..). Then we'll transition out of it to something else. Going to try to put on some upper body muscle to look like a normal human being before the holidays.
Old 09-11-18, 06:25 AM
ntnyln

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttoc6
Offseason! Started a lifting plan today. Definitely still have some fatigue in my legs from LoToJa. I guess that's to be expected. My squat numbers were much lower than I was expecting.

Tentative plan is about 8 weeks of full body lifting and the occasional HIIT type ride mixed in with the fun things I enjoy (running, mtbing, no intervals..). Then we'll transition out of it to something else. Going to try to put on some upper body muscle to look like a normal human being before the holidays.
This. Doing bodyweight stuff with some higher reps for adaptation right now. Going to try to lose a few though this offseason rather than gain. Weight is ok (~158 @ 5'7"), but I just felt better when I was about 5ish lb lighter last year. It's hard though because I have a bodybuilding past and carry a little more muscle and a fairly low bf already. That's down from a bloated 190ish two years ago after coming off a year layoff.
Old 09-11-18, 07:55 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Originally Posted by Heathpack
Haha if you want hot coffee the morning of, I will brew you some and bring it over. I think we're gonna ride Hanna Flats that day and on Sunday our UnFondo is gonna be: Fern-(all of) Skyline-Camp Osito Rd-down Pine Knot- up Cabin 89/upper Pineknot-Skyline West from Grandview-down Fern. Just in case you want to stay an extra day and ride a 30 mile recovery ride.

I am just planning my Utah trip, we'll be in St George starting next Fri and then Moab starting Wed. Wow it looks like there's some great trails in both places.
Thanks for the offer! But Ill be OK. I will be taking a stove so I can heat up some hot water for my instant coffee and getting up quite early (~5 AM). The Starbucks instant coffee isn't too bad either IMO, but I'm no coffee snob. If I do stay an extra day I'll be sure to get in touch so I can hang/ride with you guys a bit .

On a separate note, I'm actually headed to Zion and Bryce with my GF on Thursday for a few days of hiking and camping.
Old 09-11-18, 10:24 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Originally Posted by TMonk
Thanks for the offer! But Ill be OK. I will be taking a stove so I can heat up some hot water for my instant coffee and getting up quite early (~5 AM). The Starbucks instant coffee isn't too bad either IMO, but I'm no coffee snob. If I do stay an extra day I'll be sure to get in touch so I can hang/ride with you guys a bit .

On a separate note, I'm actually headed to Zion and Bryce with my GF on Thursday for a few days of hiking and camping.
We are on the same travel schedule it seems.

If you guys are so inclined, I recommend the 3 hour horseback trip in Bryce. Best trail ride we've ever done.
Old 09-11-18, 10:50 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Don't know when I'll make it to the gym this week with the storm Thu/Fri. The gym is at work, and work is further southeast.

So I did the 6x3min yesterday, and did two sets of 5x1min at a 1:1 work/rest ratio. I even forgot how many I had done on the second set and ended up with 6 repeats in the second set. Just set the thing for 400w and drilled away. It's amazing to think I'm sitting here doing 1min repeats at 400 and there's people out there doing it for over 20min. Mind boggling. Keeps ya grounded.

The rouvy app for the Cylcleops/Powertap the NP seemed a tad inflated. I guess it's more inflated the higher the power is during the "work" phase of the workout as a ratio to ftp.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1834561448/overview
Old 09-11-18, 01:54 PM
ancker
W**** B*

Bikes: Several

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
It's amazing to think I'm sitting here doing 1min repeats at 400 and there's people out there doing it for over 20min. Mind boggling. Keeps ya grounded.
There were once where you are. It probably wasn't that long ago that 400 was your best 20s or 30s power. Now you're doing 1m repeats. Go you.
Focusing on other's power numbers is foolish without knowing all of the other metrics. And even then, as stated a million times, watts aren't everything.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.