Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tubular or Clincher?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Tubular or Clincher?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-17, 06:48 PM
motosonic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Tubular or Clincher?

So, I picked up a set of full carbon Dura Ace C24 tubular wheels for a steal and since this is my first set of tubular wheels, I figured I'd ask for some advice.

I know this is one of the most common debates in cycling...Tubular versus clincher.. so let's hear what you all ride and why.
I've run clinchers since I started cycling but these sort of fell in my lap, they're a fantastic looking wheel, super light.
Should I use them for daily rides, training, etc? I don't race, although I do have a duathlon this year, but other than that I'll just be riding century, metric century and random group rides.
So, any advice is appreciated.
Thanks
Old 04-18-17, 06:55 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
It's wheels. Just ride them. BITD everybody rode tubulars.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 04-18-17, 07:00 PM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
You already have them, might as well use them.
Old 04-18-17, 07:06 PM
motosonic

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PepeM
You already have them, might as well use them.
Good points, I likely will.. but is changing tires really as bad as I've heard?
Old 04-18-17, 07:08 PM
sbxx1985 

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1934 Post(s)
Liked 282 Times in 158 Posts
Clinchers then tubulars then clinchers. Then tubulars.
Old 04-18-17, 07:11 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Originally Posted by motosonic
Good points, I likely will.. but is changing tires really as bad as I've heard?
Doesn't have to be. Use gluing tape instead of glue. Carry Pit Stop aerosol sealant. But no matter how you go about it, for most people it is less trouble than clinchers and tubeless.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 04-18-17, 07:26 PM
PepeM

Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Doesn't have to be. Use gluing tape instead of glue. Carry Pit Stop aerosol sealant. But no matter how you go about it, for most people it is less trouble than clinchers and tubeless.
Care to expand? How would one go about repairing a flat on the side of the road?
Old 04-18-17, 07:27 PM
motosonic

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Care to expand? How would one go about repairing a flat on the side of the road?
Yes, I'm curious too. All the videos I've seen make it seem like it's a 3 day process.
Old 04-18-17, 07:30 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
It's wheels. Just ride them. BITD everybody rode tubulars.
Indeed. I even did loaded touring on tubulars.

Get some of the "pair and a spare" tubulars from Yellow Jersey at 3 for $50. They're decent tires and won't break your heart (or your wallet) when they flat, as all tires eventually do. Eventually, when you're feeling like splurging, get some nicer tires.
Old 04-18-17, 07:32 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

I never fixed tubular flats on the road side. Just put your spare on and finish your ride with that. Then toss the flat tire in the corner to deal with later, on a rainy day or during the off-season.
Old 04-18-17, 07:41 PM
motosonic

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
I never fixed tubular flats on the road side. Just put your spare on and finish your ride with that. Then toss the flat tire in the corner to deal with later, on a rainy day or during the off-season.
You mean one of these spare and a pair tires?
Old 04-18-17, 07:47 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,929 Times in 2,554 Posts
Tubulars 1973-late '90s, early 2000s. I used Tubasti on all my wheels (after a bad spell with tape) except on my racing wheels and rode many races on my training wheels with Tubasti. Good stuff - as long as you don't get it too hot. Never goes completely hard or dry. I never cleaned my rims and only addressed the dried stuff it it was getting lumpy. Best part was on-the-road tire changes. Pull off the old tire, put on the replacement and ride. Don't corner hard for a few miles. Pull and re-glue when I get home.

Rims with years of build up gave me the biggest sense of security. I didn't trust new rims with their first set of tires. Actually felt relief when I got that first flat and that tire was hard to pull off. Then I knew when I glued on the next, it could be trusted.

Speaking of trust - I trust a flatted tubular to stay on the rim until I can stop. I've had a clincher come off after blowing, jam in the seatstays and send me for a top ten crash. (I was totally unprepared for the lock-up. Riding on the bare rim was like riding on ice and I was doing all I could to stay up, off the curb beside me and nurse the speed down to a good crash speed. Locked up at about 22 mph. In my tubular days I got several high speed flats over the years. Heart stoppers, yes, but otherwise non-events

Ben
Old 04-18-17, 07:49 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Originally Posted by motosonic
You mean one of these spare and a pair tires?
Sure. Or one of the tires you patched the last time you had some down time.
Old 04-18-17, 07:52 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Speaking of trust - I trust a flatted tubular to stay on the rim until I can stop. I've had a clincher come off after blowing, jam in the seatstays and send me for a top ten crash. (I was totally unprepared for the lock-up. Riding on the bare rim was like riding on ice and I was doing all I could to stay up, off the curb beside me and nurse the speed down to a good crash speed. Locked up at about 22 mph. In my tubular days I got several high speed flats over the years. Heart stoppers, yes, but otherwise non-events
+1 this. Especially when a front clincher flats. You're lucky to have any control.
Old 04-18-17, 07:59 PM
PepeM

When you say 'pull off the old tire,' what does that entail? Just pulling hard with your bare hands?
Old 04-18-17, 08:10 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

You carry a tubular patch kit with needle and thread. Also one or two good spare tires. You also learn to ride like your tires are really important. (Experience is a great teacher.) (Now this is advice from the days before sealants. But since not all flats are seal-able, carrying as many tires as you might need is still good advice.)

Ben
Old 04-18-17, 09:38 PM
Scarbo
Erik the Inveigler

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
If you have the rims, use them! Generally tubulars are for racing and clinchers are for training. But, some people just ride on tubulars all the time. See if you like them.
Old 04-18-17, 09:46 PM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
You carry a tubular patch kit with needle and thread. Also one or two good spare tires. You also learn to ride like your tires are really important. (Experience is a great teacher.) (Now this is advice from the days before sealants. But since not all flats are seal-able, carrying as many tires as you might need is still good advice.)

Ben
Thst's absurd. No one that I know would attempt a tubular repair on the road. No one. It is rare to find anyone who will still do it at home. In general tubular patches and resewings make for a crappy job and a crappy spare tire from then on. For $25-40 you get it done professionally. I wouldn't do it any other way.

Sealant is the first try of choice nowadays. After that, you just change out the whole tire to your one spare. Because the first tire and puncture is unrelated to a second, unlike so often with clincher patching, two flats on one ride is exceptionally rare. And then sealant would also have to fail twice. You should ride most of a lifetime on tubulars and still never experience that.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 04-18-17, 09:52 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
If you flat often clinchers are easier to change (not using the sealant option) and a tube costs less. These days the best repair option is a cell phone and friend, parent or spouse. If you don't have those then there is good reason for clincher.

Equal weights - (rim and tire), tubulars will flat far less. A Roubaix tubular weighs about what a weight weenie clincher setup weighs. That is rim, strip, tube etc.

So choose the tire wisely and you will likely have a better experience with the tubular.
Go for a sew-up - one with thread and latex tube.
Veloflex, Vittoria, Continental (not Tufo) etc.
Old 04-18-17, 09:53 PM
rpenmanparker 

When you say 'pull off the old tire,' what does that entail? Just pulling hard with your bare hands?
It could be like that. Or use Psimet's method. Work a tire tool under the tire. The use it or the shaft of a small screwdriver pushed all the way underneath from side to side. Pull the screwdriver all the way around the rim to unglue the tire.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 04-18-17, 09:58 PM
Doge

Depends if I want the tire and who glued it.
Ideally (and yea, I get it is flat) I break the seal with my thumbs and 20psi or so of pressure.
If flat, peel the tire rather than pull. I am not into these super tight glue jobs (very 80's), rather, I prefer a tight seal that breaks at the edges with good thumb pressure and allows bare hand removal. Some of that is the glue choice. Mastic One is hard to beat.
Old 04-18-17, 09:59 PM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by Doge
If you flat often clinchers are easier to change and a tube costs less. These days the best repair option is a cell phone and friend, parent or spouse. If you don't have those then there is good reason for clincher.

Equal weights - (rim and tire), tubulars will flat far less. A Roubaix tubular weighs about what a weight weenie clincher setup weighs. That is rim, strip, tube etc.

So choose the tire wisely and you will likely have a better experience with the tubular.
But why do you flat often? Not counting thorns and other sharp stuff like glass the most important of the reasons don't affect tubulars. Clincher tubes are very prone to pinch flatting. And many clincher flats are from poor patching of a previous flat or not removing the sharp from the tire and letting it puncture another tube. None of that happens to tubulars. They can pinch flat, but much less commonly than clinchers. And in most cases the same hazard can't cause a second flat if you just change the whole tire. Your flat incidence should go way down.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 04-18-17, 10:04 PM
Doge

But why do you flat often? Not counting thorns and other sharp stuff like glass the most important of the reasons don't affect tubulars. Clincher tubes are very prone to pinch flatting. And many clincher flats are from poor patching of a previous flat or not removing the sharp from the tire and letting it puncture another tube. None of that happens to tubulars. They can pinch flat, but much less commonly than clinchers. And in most cases the same hazard can't cause a second flat if you just change the whole tire. Your flat incidence should go way down.
Near San Clemente, where I live, not so far go south lots of goat head thorns. Go north, broken beer bottles etc. Then lots of tacks and staples and screws from all the home remodeling/construction.

Where my son goes to college - nothing. Nobody gets flats. He rides tubulars on 100 mile rides without spares.
Last weekend they had races Sat/Sun. I was in the support car. There were NO wheels (except mine) in it. There were no flats I knew of both days.

So - it depends.
Old 04-18-17, 11:23 PM
79pmooney

Thst's absurd. No one that I know would attempt a tubular repair on the road. No one. It is rare to find anyone who will still do it at home. In general tubular patches and resewings make for a crappy job and a crappy spare tire from then on. For $25-40 you get it done professionally. I wouldn't do it any other way.

Sealant is the first try of choice nowadays. After that, you just change out the whole tire to your one spare. Because the first tire and puncture is unrelated to a second, unlike so often with clincher patching, two flats on one ride is exceptionally rare. And then sealant would also have to fail twice. You should ride most of a lifetime on tubulars and still never experience that.
I always carried the patch kit. It was small and weighed basically zero. Only used it once, 40 miles from home on a very long day. The repair got me home. And meant that long day did not become an "epic" ride. (1977, no cell phone, no cars in my household. I was in rural Massachusetts. No buses. Doing the repair beat walking by a lot.) I rode most of a lifetime on tubulars but before sealant. 30 years, 100,000 miles.
Old 04-19-17, 06:40 AM
PepeM

How would one determine whether a tire needs to be reglued or if it is safe to ride?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.