Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Garmin Reset

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Garmin Reset

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-15, 10:08 AM
lennyparis

Bikes: 2017 Tarmac Pro, 2014 S-Works Tarmac, 2011 Trek Madone 6.2, 2014 Trek Madone 5.9 & 2009 Specialized Hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Garmin Reset

Can i reset my garmin after a ride one day to set it back to zero for a ride a second day and then in one shot load both rides to Garmin online and Strava?
Old 04-03-15, 10:11 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,187 Posts
Yes..

Just save the ride to the Garmin device but don't upload it to Garmin connect or Strava. Then when you're ready, upload all the rides.
Old 04-03-15, 10:47 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Just hold down the reset button for 3 seconds
Old 04-03-15, 03:27 PM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by lennyparis
Can i reset my garmin after a ride one day to set it back to zero for a ride a second day and then in one shot load both rides to Garmin online and Strava?
I'm confused.

Why not just save each ride like normal and then upload whenever?

Old 04-03-15, 03:39 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
If you're not aware, you can link Garmin to Strava. Upload rides to Garmin and it will automatically upload to Strava too. Click on your avatar image, go to 'settings', you'll see 'Social Connections' on the right. Click on 'Connect to Garmin' and follow the steps.

I have a Garmin 510, I only clear out rides one a week or less. Typically when I charge it.
Old 04-03-15, 05:15 PM
velociraptor
Fatty McFatcakes

Bikes: Aero Cheeseburger w/ Sr(h)am eBacon

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Read the manual.

It's all there.
Old 04-03-15, 07:49 PM
gregf83 

Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Yes. The reset is somewhat misleading as it doesn't really 'reset' anything it just saves the current ride to memory and zeros the time and distance counters.

Alternatively, you can just finish your ride and power down the Garmin. That's what I normally do (with a Garmin edge 800) and it will save your current ride and the next time you power up a new ride will begin. You can continue to do this for months and then when you plug the garmin into your computer it will load up all the rides since the last upload.
Old 04-03-15, 08:17 PM
FLvector
Stand and Deliver

Bikes: Cannondale R1000, Giant TCR Advanced, Giant TCR Advanced SL

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes. You don't have to upload each ride after completed. I often wait until I have several rides logged, then upload them all at one time. To save battery life on the garmin and the power meter, I power down the garmin at the end of each ride, then zero out by holding down the reset at the beginning of the next ride. I upload my rides to garmin connect and golden cheetah to review later.
Old 04-03-15, 10:45 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
How do you delete the accumulated rides from the Garmin?
Old 04-04-15, 03:47 AM
Oldhead

Bikes: CAAD 8

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SpeshulEd
I'm confused.

Why not just save each ride like normal and then upload whenever?
He asked the question because he is confused about having to reset to actually save the data. I thought it was weird at first too.
Old 04-04-15, 11:20 AM
SpeshulEd 

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldhead
He asked the question because he is confused about having to reset to actually save the data. I thought it was weird at first too.
I don't think I've ever reset anything on my Garmin.

At the end of the ride, I hit the little start/stop button. It asks me if I want to discard or save the ride. I choose save. The Garmin goes back to the main screen and I turn it off.

Old 04-04-15, 11:58 AM
Oldhead

Bikes: CAAD 8

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SpeshulEd
I don't think I've ever reset anything on my Garmin.

At the end of the ride, I hit the little start/stop button. It asks me if I want to discard or save the ride. I choose save. The Garmin goes back to the main screen and I turn it off.
I have the 800 it has 2 buttons on the bottom, The one on the right is start stop, the other is lap/reset. In order to save you have to hold the reset for 4 seconds. On the screen it says resetting in 3, 2, 1. It doesn't actually say it is saving but it does. It kinda of makes you feel you are erasing the data without saving it
Old 04-04-15, 03:11 PM
K.Katso
Gold Member

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8, Pinarello Bolide, Argon 18 E-118, Bianchi Oltre, Cervelo S1, Wilier Pista

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by velociraptor
Read the manual.

It's all there.
Why do all that hard work when you can have people on the Internet do it for you?
Old 04-04-15, 04:16 PM
velociraptor
Fatty McFatcakes

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by K.Katso
Why do all that hard work when you can have people on the Internet do it for you?
Because it's really not that hard:

RTFM
Old 04-04-15, 04:26 PM
mvnsnd

Bikes: Factor O2, Caad10, Caad2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
How do you delete the accumulated rides from the Garmin?
When its plugged into your PC, it should show up as a device or drive. The rides are in the Activities folder. You can delete them there or move them to another folder for safekeeping.

Probably a good idea to do this regularly.
Old 04-04-15, 04:42 PM
SpeshulEd 

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldhead
I have the 800 it has 2 buttons on the bottom, The one on the right is start stop, the other is lap/reset. In order to save you have to hold the reset for 4 seconds. On the screen it says resetting in 3, 2, 1. It doesn't actually say it is saving but it does. It kinda of makes you feel you are erasing the data without saving it
Ahh, the 810 is different.

Old 04-05-15, 02:17 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by mvnsnd
When its plugged into your PC, it should show up as a device or drive. The rides are in the Activities folder. You can delete them there or move them to another folder for safekeeping.

Probably a good idea to do this regularly.

Thanks!
Old 04-05-15, 04:00 PM
gregf83 

Because it's really not that hard:

RTFM
With the effort you put into reading this thread and being a smartass you could have just answered the question. The manual isn't actually clear on the original question.
Old 04-06-15, 06:35 AM
velociraptor
Fatty McFatcakes

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gregf83
With the effort you put into reading this thread ... you could have just answered the question...
You're right, I apologize to the OP and the other posters for my snide, unhelpful comment.

... The manual isn't actually clear on the original question.
Actually, the manual is quite clear on:
  1. How to record and save a ride.
  2. The two primary methods by which to get ride data off the device and into the Connect website; wirelessly via mobile bluetooth and wired via desktop.
The OP asked if he can 'reset' his device after a ride so that the next day he can record another ride, and then upload both rides simultaneously to Connect & Strava.

There is no 'reset' required. One simply records a ride on the device and saves it when finished.

Accumulation of recorded rides can continue in this manner, ad-infinitum, until the device storage is full.

If for some reason, one does not want to upload each ride shortly after it has occurred, one merely has to abstain from pairing the device with a phone – and/or connecting it to a PC – until such time as one sees fit to upload the rides.

After the rides have been uploaded to Connect and/or Strava, one can simply delete the rides from device storage using either the on-device OS, or from the mounted device disc on a computer desktop.
  • The manual is quite clear on all of this.
  • Reading the manual is something that everyone should do before attempting to use a new device.
  • This manual and the device itself are not difficult to understand.
Getting back to the OP's question specifically, I will add that Connect will automatically push rides to Strava upon upload; making it unnecessary to horde rides in order to upload them each twice, in bulk, at a later time.

One merely needs to connect their credentials for the two accounts. Strava makes this very obvious on their site.

... being a smartass ...
Old 04-06-15, 07:48 AM
gregf83 

If for some reason, one does not want to upload each ride shortly after it has occurred, one merely has to abstain from pairing the device with a phone – and/or connecting it to a PC – until such time as one sees fit to upload the rides.

After the rides have been uploaded to Connect and/or Strava, one can simply delete the rides from device storage using either the on-device OS, or from the mounted device disc on a computer desktop.
  • The manual is quite clear on all of this.
  • Reading the manual is something that everyone should do before attempting to use a new device.
  • This manual and the device itself are not difficult to understand.
Getting back to the OP's question specifically, I will add that Connect will automatically push rides to Strava upon upload; making it unnecessary to horde rides in order to upload them each twice, in bulk, at a later time.
The manual is clear on what you've written but it doesn't tell you what happens , or if it's possible, to do multiple rides without uploading. Personally, I don't think you should need to read a 50 page manual these days before operating a product. Well designed products (Apple is a good example) ship with at most a one page getting started guide.