Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Get paid to ride your bike (Strava users only)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Get paid to ride your bike (Strava users only)

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-15, 05:02 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by gmm213
Its probably got advertising involved as well as they are probably hoping that instead of spending $80 a month you'll spend $200 or so and save $80 therefore they'd still make a little something.
Yes, I expect they'll be keeping an eye on purchasing trends and modify the program rather quickly if most people just cash in the $80 in credit they can get every two months to get $80 worth of free stuff with no significant additional items.
Old 04-07-15, 05:12 PM
Diablito

Bikes: Voodoo Canzo, BMC Granfondo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm done for free MONEY
Old 04-07-15, 07:31 PM
redtires
Extra Medium Member

Bikes: Fezzari Empire; State 6061 Allroad gravel; Scott Spark; Specialized Status 140

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
I'm quite sure that I can figure out how to spend $40 a month at CC. Done deal! Thanks Elvo for the link!!!
Old 04-07-15, 08:25 PM
Dunbar

Bikes: Roubaix SL4 Expert , Cervelo S2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by redtires
I'm quite sure that I can figure out how to spend $40 a month at CC.
FYI, CC has free shipping on orders over $50. So you'll want to wait until you have at least $50 in credits.
Old 04-07-15, 09:12 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13718 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 2,508 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Am I the only one who was like, "F**k CompetitiveCyclist" and only spent about 15secs thinking about that email "deal" before trashing it?
So far, it looks like you are the only one.
Old 04-07-15, 09:21 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13718 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 2,508 Posts
Originally Posted by tekhna
Not gonna lie, I don't totally get this. I mean, they get access to our cycling data which presumably we've given them the right to resell. But that's not worth 40 bucks per month, I wouldn't think? And this is a pricey way to buy customer loyalty.

But it does pretty much ensure you can replace your white bar tape monthly, so score one for vanity.
Sounds like a simple marketing partnership. Strava attracts new users from Competitive Cyclist's customer base and Competitive Cyclist attracts new customers from Strava's user base.
Old 04-07-15, 09:58 PM
tekhna

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
Sounds like a simple marketing partnership. Strava attracts new users from Competitive Cyclist's customer base and Competitive Cyclist attracts new customers from Strava's user base.
Sure, but a couple things make it a bit of a headscratcher beyond simply what seems to be a rather high cost for a marketing partnership.

The first is Competitive Cyclist is a fairly high-end shop and I'd hazard a guess that many Competitive Cyclist customers already use Strava, so probably not much to be gained there. You're right that Competitive Cyclist could potentially pick up costumers but my guess is not many customers are going to make that big 2500 dollar purchase at CC since they've got 40 bucks in credit. They're just going to buy tubes and bar tape. Unless CC is figuring people will buy 100-200 dollar items and they'll eke out a profit that way.

Who knows. If I had to guess, this promotion doesn't last 3 months and Competitive Cyclist/Strava lose a ton of money. Microsoft's still paying people to use Bing though, years later.
Old 04-07-15, 11:39 PM
Dunbar

Bikes: Roubaix SL4 Expert , Cervelo S2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm betting a lot of credits will simply expire before people use them. And I'm guessing the average Strava users aren't riding 10+ hours per week all year. If you're smart you can definitely maximize your returns. But they're probably betting on many people (like me) simply getting stuff closer to cost (like a jersey for half off.)
Old 04-08-15, 12:07 AM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Dunbar
But they're probably betting on many people (like me) simply getting stuff closer to cost (like a jersey for half off.)
Or they hope that it'll be profitable for them to provide an incentive for good prospective customers (i.e. those who use Strava and cycle 40+ hours/month) to peruse the Competitive Cyclist website at least once a month and occasionally buy some expensive items.
Old 04-08-15, 12:59 AM
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is awesome. Thanks for the link.
Old 04-08-15, 05:12 AM
Oldhead

Bikes: CAAD 8

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Elvo
As stated in another forum, you could buy 10,000 old android devices for $20 each, toss em in your backpack and go ride, sell your accounts at 1/4 price ($10), and make $100,000 a month
I'd like to see someone trying to ride with 10,000 phones in their backpack
Old 04-08-15, 06:34 AM
velociraptor
Fatty McFatcakes

Bikes: Aero Cheeseburger w/ Sr(h)am eBacon

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Oldhead
I'd like to see someone trying to ride with 10,000 phones in their backpack
That post was just silliness.
Old 04-08-15, 07:03 AM
velociraptor
Fatty McFatcakes

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
For the naysayers, don't assume that you somehow know more than the very smart people running those two extremely successful companies.

This is co-marketing 101, which might as well be an entry-level class in business school: Associate your brand with another complimentary, valuable brand that helps you fill a business need; and reap the mutual benefits.

Rest assured that the bean-counters at CC have worked all the possible scenarios – and arrived at the $1 per moving hour / $40 per month ceiling / $80 max balance for a specific reason.

Remember that their wholesale cost on items is a fraction of the retail.
  1. CC is buying an INCREDIBLE amount of multi-channel exposure on individual users' social feeds for that money.
  2. Strava gets an very compelling and *EXCLUSIVE* reason to retain existing users and grow their base in an increasingly competitive landscape.
It really is a very smart play and I expect it will be extremely successful for both of them.
Old 04-08-15, 07:25 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3151 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 1,035 Posts
Originally Posted by Dunbar
I'm betting a lot of credits will simply expire before people use them. And I'm guessing the average Strava users aren't riding 10+ hours per week all year. If you're smart you can definitely maximize your returns. But they're probably betting on many people (like me) simply getting stuff closer to cost (like a jersey for half off.)
That's what I'm thinking about; all this talk about an easy $40 credit per month...I'm envious of those who get to kick out the 5 x 2hr rides per week required to hit the goal. There's no mention of partial credit, so a 1.5hr ride, for example, is 1 credit.
Old 04-08-15, 07:30 AM
velociraptor
Fatty McFatcakes

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
There's no mention of partial credit, so a 1.5hr ride, for example, is 1 credit.
No, it clearly says rounded down to the half hour. So a 1 hr 45 min ride would get 1.5 credits.

That's what I'm thinking about; all this talk about an easy $40 credit per month...I'm envious of those who get to kick out the 5 x 2hr per week required to hit the goal.
Assuming a 15mph average moving speed, you'd have to accumulate 600 miles in one month to get the full $40 in credits. That's probably < 10% of all cyclists.
Old 04-08-15, 08:05 AM
kevmk81

Bikes: Trek Allant 9.9s

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is indeed awesome. Papa needs new bar tape, a couple backup tires, backup tubes, new winter gloves, summer gloves, bibs. This could save a LOT of money. And putting 10 hours a week really isn't that hard. 1 hour tues morning before work, 1 hour after work, 1 hour wed morning before work, half hour after work, 1 hour thurs morning before work, 1 hour fri morning before work, 3 hours sat morning, 1.5 hours sun morning. That's not 2 hours a day for 5 days. For all of the stuff I need, I could have most of it by the end of a year, for much less than what I'd usually have to buy it with. This will definitely help my wife be more at ease. lol
Old 04-08-15, 08:42 AM
myth001

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is a good deal. But giving them my rides with full stats and locations make me cringe a bit...

I just hope they allowed a choice of online stores such as Ribble, Wiggle, Merlin, Evan, Chain Reaction - CC generally don't have the best pricing online.
Old 04-08-15, 08:47 AM
Willbird

Bikes: 2001 Trek Multitrack 7200, 2104 Fuji Sportif 1.5

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by velociraptor
For the naysayers, don't assume that you somehow know more than the very smart people running those two extremely successful companies.

This is co-marketing 101, which might as well be an entry-level class in business school: Associate your brand with another complimentary, valuable brand that helps you fill a business need; and reap the mutual benefits.

Rest assured that the bean-counters at CC have worked all the possible scenarios – and arrived at the $1 per moving hour / $40 per month ceiling / $80 max balance for a specific reason.

Remember that their wholesale cost on items is a fraction of the retail.
  1. CC is buying an INCREDIBLE amount of multi-channel exposure on individual users' social feeds for that money.
  2. Strava gets an very compelling and *EXCLUSIVE* reason to retain existing users and grow their base in an increasingly competitive landscape.
It really is a very smart play and I expect it will be extremely successful for both of them.
They also get to see where you ride, how you ride, who you ride with, and what you ride if you put that all in Strava, and they get to see what you shop for on their website, and maybe on other websites too with browser cookies ?? They really get a lot of customer info for $40 a month, and who knows how long it will continue ?? Then if they cancel it, who knows how many people will just neglect to disconnect their data stream ??

You can get paid to ride your bike, and run, and all kinds of other things on Achievemint <--this IS the proper spelling too. You can also get rewards at Walgreens for the same exact activities if you choose to link them in.
Old 04-08-15, 09:02 AM
velociraptor
Fatty McFatcakes

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Willbird
They also get to see where you ride, how you ride, who you ride with, and what you ride if you put that all in Strava, and they get to see what you shop for on their website, and maybe on other websites too with browser cookies ?? They really get a lot of customer info for $40 a month, and who knows how long it will continue ?? Then if they cancel it, who knows how many people will just neglect to disconnect their data stream ??
This may come as a surprise, but if you're interested in protecting your private information, you should just stay off the internet.

Even when you think you're not being tracked, you're being tracked.

You can get paid to ride your bike, and run, and all kinds of other things on Achievemint <--this IS the proper spelling too. You can also get rewards at Walgreens for the same exact activities if you choose to link them in.
Thanks for the head's up on that – If it seems like a good deal, I may sign up for those too!
Old 04-08-15, 09:06 AM
Willbird

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This may come as a surprise, but if you're interested in protecting your private information, you should just stay off the internet.

Even when you think you're not being tracked, you're being tracked.

Thanks for the head's up on that – If it seems like a good deal, I may sign up for those too!
NO surprise at all for me :-). I signed up for Achievemint 12/14 and I have 32,000 earned of 50,000 points needed to get a $50 VISA card, I have Fitbit, Strava, Withings, and Myfitnesspal linked in.
Old 04-08-15, 09:08 AM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by kevmk81
This is indeed awesome. Papa needs new bar tape, a couple backup tires, backup tubes, new winter gloves, summer gloves, bibs. This could save a LOT of money. And putting 10 hours a week really isn't that hard. 1 hour tues morning before work, 1 hour after work, 1 hour wed morning before work, half hour after work, 1 hour thurs morning before work, 1 hour fri morning before work, 3 hours sat morning, 1.5 hours sun morning. That's not 2 hours a day for 5 days. For all of the stuff I need, I could have most of it by the end of a year, for much less than what I'd usually have to buy it with. This will definitely help my wife be more at ease. lol
It's also scored as moving time within a single up-loaded ride.

As a bicycle commuter you can get more credit uploading one .fit file containing your morning training ride (1:45), morning commute (0:20), evening commute (0:20) and split that when you import into Golden Cheetah for your own purposes.
Old 04-08-15, 09:09 AM
cellery

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 12 Posts
If you think about the kinds of money being thrown around for TV marketing campaigns, you know this is probably no brainer for them. The exposure will draw in many potential customers and that is the one of the hardest things for any retail business. Get them in the door and they will shop whether they thought they wanted something or not.
Old 04-08-15, 09:12 AM
cellery

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by willbird
they also get to see where you ride, how you ride, who you ride with, and what you ride if you put that all in strava, and they get to see what you shop for on their website, and maybe on other websites too with browser cookies ?? They really get a lot of customer info for $40 a month, and who knows how long it will continue ?? Then if they cancel it, who knows how many people will just neglect to disconnect their data stream ??
illuminati confirmed!
Old 04-08-15, 09:14 AM
velociraptor
Fatty McFatcakes

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
NO surprise at all for me :-). I signed up for Achievemint 12/14 and I have 32,000 earned of 50,000 points needed to get a $50 VISA card, I have Fitbit, Strava, Withings, and Myfitnesspal linked in.
Just tried to sign up... There's a waiting list
Old 04-08-15, 09:20 AM
Willbird

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just tried to sign up... There's a waiting list
Wow what the heck ??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.