Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

You are descending at 41 mph next to a 10 foot wide shoulder. Do you take the lane?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

You are descending at 41 mph next to a 10 foot wide shoulder. Do you take the lane?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-15, 05:30 AM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
If the picture is an accurate representation of the shoulder in that area, I would take the shoulder without an issue. But I ride down a hill from my house every time I ride that is a two lane road with potholes, manhole covers, linear cracks that go on and on, the occasional roadkill, the occasional still live roadkill, parked cars, cars turning out from side streets and driveways, etc. I coast down it almost a mile, sometimes in near darkness with my lights on, and quickly reach 40+ mph. There is a short flattish spot where I have to brake hard before the T-intersection at the end.

Riding that shoulder at 40mph would be a joy for me. But it actually doesn't look that steep and I'd have a hard time even getting to 40 in the spot pictured. I can't see a reason, in that picture, to annoy a motorist by taking the lane, even if I have the right to do so.
Old 05-23-15, 05:40 AM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
How about the fact that the shoulder disappears a few meters ahead?
Old 05-23-15, 05:53 AM
r0gue

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would stay in the shoulder, and if I had to slow a bit because there might be debris (say perhaps, around a corner), I would. It's a decent, it's not going to kill me to slow down a bit. I always try to be courteous to those out trying to make their way in real life. I'm out getting a workout and enjoying a ride. If the shoulder were really crappy, then I'd take the lane. I live in western PA. That shoulder sounds BETTER than most of the actual LANES where I live!
Old 05-23-15, 06:51 AM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by PepeM
You mean at the intersection? it's almost flat there, I doubt the rider would be going 41 mph, but at that point you deal with the intersection in the way you normally would and keep riding. A good shoulder continues after the intersection. If you ride busy roads, learn to cooperate with cars. No matter what we think our rights are, we're exposed out there.
Old 05-23-15, 07:51 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
If there is pavement to the right, I'm sliding over. Rights or no rights, people in cars could be drunk, stoned, texting, bubble headed teens, fussing with kids, or digging in a McD's bag for their fries. I'm giving them space until a merge appears.
Old 05-23-15, 08:36 AM
Tickstart

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow what a beautiful landscape that is! And I would probably ride on the shoulder, but close to the lane, a reasonable compromize I think. The trees there could obscure something or someone.
Old 05-23-15, 08:45 AM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RollCNY
Nice post, Brian.

I remember reading a post (I think by wphamilton) a while back that one can never have or take "right of way". The only thing you can do with it is yield it. I was impressed by the concept.
I was taught that explicitly in driver's ed. Those exact words came out of the instructors mouth. I think that concept is pretty much the linchpin of defensive driving.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 05-23-15, 08:51 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
If there is pavement to the right, I'm sliding over. Rights or no rights, people in cars could be drunk, stoned, texting, bubble headed teens, fussing with kids, or digging in a McD's bag for their fries. I'm giving them space until a merge appears.
That's my attitude also. I WILL take the lane, but only if I feel it's safer to do so. I wouldn't necessarily take the lane just because I have the right to do so.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 05-23-15, 08:55 AM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by PepeM
You mean a few hundred meters ahead, at the bottom of the hill? Deal with it then. At 40mph, you can do some pretty subtle things in traffic. No need to slow everyone up for minutes at a time.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 05-23-15, 09:56 AM
UnfilteredDregs

Bikes: Salsa Ti Warbird- 2014/ November RAIL52s

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff
You mean a few hundred meters ahead, at the bottom of the hill? Deal with it then. At 40mph, you can do some pretty subtle things in traffic. No need to slow everyone up for minutes at a time.
No doubt...at 40mph you better know what you're doing a few 100 meters from the present moment.

Your previous post speaks volumes regarding not so common common sense. I signal a lot, I make sure I am highly visible by doing so, never subtle. I make eye contact, I point where I'm going, most importantly I keep a bubble around me for a given speed and I operate predictably within that space. Yes, it's always situational. I take the lane when necessary and I project it. It's much simpler when riding with a well coordinated group, especially urban riding...we do a loose deuce kinda thing where I'm at, a fluid unit so to speak. We all know where we're going and how therefore whomever is in position to indicate to surrounding traffic and initiate the move does so... Urban riding is a very different head than when we get out to the sticks. For us it's all about transiting safely to where the real riding begins...and it's fun. Teamwork is cool.

That shoulder is a gift compared to where I ride.
Old 05-23-15, 07:55 PM
ColaJacket

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dunbar
Is it unfair when motorcycles filter up to traffic lights too? Taking the lane and filtering are perfectly legal in CA.
Yes, motorcycles should take a lane.

If bicyclists are going to take a lane when they're not at an intersection, then they should take a lane at the intersection and not filter up to the light.

GH
Old 05-24-15, 01:59 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by ColaJacket
Yes, motorcycles should take a lane.

If bicyclists are going to take a lane when they're not at an intersection, then they should take a lane at the intersection and not filter up to the light.

GH
Ok, good to know that you don't think people should be allowed to do something legal because you don't like it
Old 05-24-15, 03:16 AM
Oldhead

Bikes: CAAD 8

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would take the shoulder, heck it looks smoother than the actual road from the picture
Old 05-24-15, 04:37 AM
12strings

Bikes: 2015 Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Motorcycle lane splitting: Better for riders, better for drivers, and safer than sitting in traffic
Old 05-24-15, 05:54 AM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Never understood why some people get so pissed off when motorcycles filter through traffic. It doesn't affect car drivers at all. I guess it is a 'if I can't do it then you shouldn't do it' mentality.
Old 05-24-15, 10:17 AM
knobd

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I'm sorry but I just don't see any logic in taking the lane there, especially if the 10 foot shoulder is smooth and clean. Even if the shoulder is a little messy, most of it would probably be on the outer 3 or 4 feet of the shoulder, still leaving you with more than enough room. If I'm going 41 mph there, I'm thinking of how to take advantage of all this space I have to eek out another mph or 2.
Old 05-24-15, 10:42 AM
koolerb

Bikes: CAAD 12, ROS 9+, and some others

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Depends on the the conditions during that ride, past experience in that area, and rider comfort levels regarding all the different variables. If the shoulder is that wide and usually clear of debris, sure stay on the shoulder. But speeds exceeding 40MPH are fast. If the rider knows from prior experience that there is a good chance of debris on the shoulder it may be wiser to move out into the lane. Different riders are more comfortable at different speeds on the shoulder. I was on a short (2 mile) 40+MPH decent with another rider last week, I took lane, he opted to stay on the shoulder. My logic was; the closest car behind was about 1/2 back, the Speed limit on the road is only 45MPH. I figured the car approaching from the rear would catch me, but probably close to the bottom so no big deal. Turned out the guy approaching from the rear was going pretty fast because he caught me half way down and intentionally passed me very close. My friend stayed on the 3 ft gravel strewn shoulder the whole way down. To me the the shoulder was scarier than the car, for him the opposite was true. Don't think there a right or wrong answer here. Everyone sizes up the situation at hand and makes a decision on how to handle it.
Old 05-24-15, 01:50 PM
ColaJacket

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It said that it was better for cars, if more drivers rode motorcycles instead, and also filtered through traffic.

I can understand a motorcycle accelerating better than cars, but mopeds and bicycles don't accelerate faster, and traffic has to pass what they just passed.

Now, if there is a bike lane, or a shoulder that the bicyclist/moped has been using, and can keep using, then that is not filtering, that is just using the bike lane/shoulder.

GH
Old 05-24-15, 02:55 PM
bt
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
what the h@ll is "GH" ?
Old 05-24-15, 04:16 PM
Ben I.

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix Ultegra, 2016 Ridley X-Trail

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd definitely take the shoulder if it were me. First of all, that shoulder, at least in that section, seems to be in really good shape and pretty clear. I can't see any potholes, giant cracks, etc. Second, no way I'm going to take a lane when the speed limit is 55, that means people are going at least 65 or 70. I'd stay far over to the right although I'd never cycle on that road in the first place.
Old 05-24-15, 05:07 PM
rebel1916

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
I would find nicer roads to ride, with less traffic.
Um, I've never been on the PCH below Paso Robles, but for most of it's length, it is rightfully considered one of the nicest roads in the world.
Old 05-25-15, 01:39 PM
Dunbar

Bikes: Roubaix SL4 Expert , Cervelo S2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When was the last time you guys did 40mph on a bike? That's screaming fast and doesn't leave you really any time to react to debris on the shoulder. Part of the reason you take the lane in the first place is so that you aren't put in a position of needing to move over and being blocked by a car. And it's pretty well acknowledged that moving in/out of the lane as conditions permit is more dangerous than just staying in the lane. Cars want you out of their way and don't care about what's safest. Now if we're talking 20mph I'd be off on the shoulder if it was in decent condition.

As far as PCH, it's not so much the road condition that's the issue. It's the volume of high speed traffic.

Last edited by Dunbar; 05-25-15 at 01:44 PM.
Old 05-25-15, 03:10 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
ridden that stretch a few times and it is generally trouble free on the wide shoulder. there is the occasional eucalyptus tree branch/bark in the lane along with the occasional
maintenance/gardening truck. seem to remember a few little bumpy patches but nothing crazy. traffic through that stretch is fast so i prefer to slow down on the shoulder
and look back to see if i can merge into the rightmost lane to go around the obstacle before just doing so. i wouldn't take the lane as a rule of thumb on that stretch since
many drivers take it as a de facto freeway. a little farther south, taking the lane (especially northbound) becomes almost mandatory between construction, parking and surfers.
Old 05-25-15, 03:16 PM
Maconi

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Elvo
Lengthy discussion on ST: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning...: Triathlon Forum: Slowtwitch Forums

Lane in question: https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0351...D93uvUTaBQ!2e0

In my opinion, yes you should take the lane because you will not have time to react to whatever potential debris that may pop up in the shoulder when you are riding at 60 feet per second.
In my area (Kentucky) it's law that if there's a bike lane or shoulder present, you must take it vs the road. No choice. If there's only a sidewalk available you have the choice between it and the road (but you must yield to pedestrians).
Old 05-25-15, 06:35 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,701 Times in 2,521 Posts
is that true in Kentucky? I thought only New York had such a law. And even then, the requirement to ride on a shoulder is iffy. There is a reason it isn't considered part of the roadway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.