Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Dog trailer

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Dog trailer

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-15, 03:42 PM
Oldhead

Bikes: CAAD 8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Dog trailer

Does anyone use a dog trailer, I've been toying with the idea for my two dogs. My pup will end up being around 100lbs and my small dog is 20lbs. Not sure how hard that will be to tow.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bike-trailer-dogs1.jpg (34.5 KB, 15 views)
Old 04-27-15, 09:07 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
There's a joke in there that somehow ties together dogs and weight weenies-- perhaps with dachshunds. But I can't think of it right now.

Someone, please feel free to take over. Oh. Someone please help the op too.
Old 04-27-15, 09:12 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,187 Posts
Does Zipp make wheels for it? If so watch out for crosswinds.

You might want disc brakes to help slowing on descents.
Old 04-28-15, 12:08 AM
Jamminatrix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldhead
Does anyone use a dog trailer, I've been toying with the idea for my two dogs. My pup will end up being around 100lbs and my small dog is 20lbs. Not sure how hard that will be to tow.
The question is - how far do you want to tow and how fast? And what bike?

We have one for our Labrador (around 90lbs) for occasional Sunday afternoon rides to go down to the beach (maybe once a month). As a leisure thing it's fine, but I definitely would not advise doing any major rides on it (biggest reason is there's really no room for large dogs to get comfortable on these strollers).

Mine is basically a 2-kid trailer that I customized for my dog (all the dog specific trailers I saw were either way overpriced or undersized). I ripped out the kid seats and built a flat floor that sits on the frame, and used outdoor pool carpet on the floor to give some grip/padding for her paws when she gets wet from swimming. It still has the sides and back, and we just keep the top roof open (she's too tall and likes looking out anyway). It's typical 20'' wheels, 1.75'' tires, with galvanized tubular frame.

I never bothered to weigh the trailers, but I'd guess it's around 30lbs or so. Even with a 90lbs dog + 30lbs trailer, the added weight your bike is maybe 20-50lbs (depending how they shift their weight), because the trailer itself takes most of the load. The real hassle is towing and aerodynamics. It's basically like pulling a parachute behind you the entire time. I know for me personally (180lbs, 6'1''), if I seriously try pulling the trailer on my road bike, in full cycling gear, I will drop about 5-7mph for the same wattage as if I wasn't pulling the trailer. This is all flat ground.

I don't see both a 100lbs dog and 20lbs dog fitting the same trailer together comfortably without climbing on top of one another, but then again, it depends how patient they are. There's also a learning curve involved with the dog. It took some practice riding around out front to get her to learn to climb in/out and stay seated with the motion of moving. Our lab loves it, but our Chesapeake Retriever wants nothing to do with it (skiddish if there's no solid foundation that isn't moving).
Old 04-28-15, 12:57 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18381 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
I think you have the trailer hooked up backwards.

Or, perhaps with the bike:
Old 04-28-15, 04:41 AM
Oldhead

Bikes: CAAD 8

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jamminatrix
The question is - how far do you want to tow and how fast? And what bike?

We have one for our Labrador (around 90lbs) for occasional Sunday afternoon rides to go down to the beach (maybe once a month). As a leisure thing it's fine, but I definitely would not advise doing any major rides on it (biggest reason is there's really no room for large dogs to get comfortable on these strollers).

Mine is basically a 2-kid trailer that I customized for my dog (all the dog specific trailers I saw were either way overpriced or undersized). I ripped out the kid seats and built a flat floor that sits on the frame, and used outdoor pool carpet on the floor to give some grip/padding for her paws when she gets wet from swimming. It still has the sides and back, and we just keep the top roof open (she's too tall and likes looking out anyway). It's typical 20'' wheels, 1.75'' tires, with galvanized tubular frame.

I never bothered to weigh the trailers, but I'd guess it's around 30lbs or so. Even with a 90lbs dog + 30lbs trailer, the added weight your bike is maybe 20-50lbs (depending how they shift their weight), because the trailer itself takes most of the load. The real hassle is towing and aerodynamics. It's basically like pulling a parachute behind you the entire time. I know for me personally (180lbs, 6'1''), if I seriously try pulling the trailer on my road bike, in full cycling gear, I will drop about 5-7mph for the same wattage as if I wasn't pulling the trailer. This is all flat ground.

I don't see both a 100lbs dog and 20lbs dog fitting the same trailer together comfortably without climbing on top of one another, but then again, it depends how patient they are. There's also a learning curve involved with the dog. It took some practice riding around out front to get her to learn to climb in/out and stay seated with the motion of moving. Our lab loves it, but our Chesapeake Retriever wants nothing to do with it (skiddish if there's no solid foundation that isn't moving).
Thanks. Pretty much the info I was looking for