Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Has anyone used a wrist strap HRM sensor with their Garmin?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-15, 06:06 AM
cydewaze
Emondafied

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

While I do like my Garmin 510, I hate hate HATE the chest strap. It's uncomfy, sticky, and either feels too tight or like it's slipping. I find myself wearing it less and less, especially on hot, humid days.

Has anyone here tried using a wrist band sensor with there Garmin? Is there even such a thing? If so, did you notice any accuracy problems?

Just looking for an alternative to that chest strap.

my bike page - my journal
Current Stable: Trek Emonda SL - Trek Top Fuel 8 - Scattante XRL - Jamis Dakar Expert - Trek 9700 - AlpineStars Al Mega
Old 07-04-15, 06:30 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
I use a Mio link with a Garmin Forerunner 50 watch as well as various iPhone apps. Not the same as a cycling computer, but it works great. No glitches that I can tell, but I don't download any data so I can't see it graphically. I just look at instant readout in real time and the full ride average at the end. Folks tell me that the wrist sensor does not supply the more complete heart function data that a chest strap does, just simple pulse rate, but that is all I am looking for anyway. I never could get a chest sensor to detect my heart rate until I had worked up a good sweat, but the wrist sensor is instant on. Sweet.

Mio is compatible via Ant+ or Bluetooth with lots of Garmin devices.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 07-04-15, 07:25 AM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 181 Posts
I also use a Mio one with a Garmin Edge 1000. No issues and works well. The Edge won't record data from the Mio until you put it in workout mode. Apparently, it doesn't start broadcasting in ANT+ mode until you do that. When I use it with my phone in bluetooth, once it's paired, the HRM data comes across whether it's in workout mode or not.

I'm with you. I hate the HRM chest straps and won't use them as a result.

J.
Old 07-04-15, 07:34 AM
cydewaze
Emondafied

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
I just look at instant readout in real time and the full ride average at the end.
Yeah I do the same thing. Actually, I could probably do with a green, yellow, and red light. My HR seems to always be in three zones. 130-135 if I'm coasting, 150-155 if I'm riding my normal pace, and 175-180 if I'm climbing. If it's a long, steep climb it'll get above that but 99% of the time it's in one of those three places.

But two votes for the Mio. I'll look at that one.

Current Stable: Trek Emonda SL - Trek Top Fuel 8 - Scattante XRL - Jamis Dakar Expert - Trek 9700 - AlpineStars Al Mega
Old 07-04-15, 07:38 AM
DaveWC

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I used a Mio with my Garmin 500 and initially loved it, then hated it. It's great to wear, much better than a chest strap. But it quite often lost the heart rate, under reporting for 5 minutes at a time by 30-50 heartbeats. Then it would jump up to actual for 10 minutes. It really doesn't work well below 40ºF. I sold mine & go without HR and don't miss it at all.
Old 07-04-15, 07:45 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Originally Posted by DaveWC
I used a Mio with my Garmin 500 and initially loved it, then hated it. It's great to wear, much better than a chest strap. But it quite often lost the heart rate, under reporting for 5 minutes at a time by 30-50 heartbeats. Then it would jump up to actual for 10 minutes. It really doesn't work well below 40ºF. I sold mine & go without HR and don't miss it at all.
Well, I think all heart rate sensors are subject to some data losses, and I don't doubt your experience. Mine has been all warm weather so far. Optimizing sensor placement for personal quirks re: top of wrist or underside and wrist strap tightness can be of some help, but the system surely isn't perfect.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 07-04-15, 07:54 AM
DaveWC

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I wasn't saying that mine didn't work properly ONLY in <40ºF. It rarely worked properly then, but in warm weather there was typically a period of 5 minutes here or there where it reported HR about 30-50 beats below actual. I tried many positions but none had any appreciable impact. I know that all HR monitors have problems, my chest strap would often over report HR in the 200s for minutes at a time.
Old 07-04-15, 08:35 AM
rpenmanparker 

I wasn't saying that mine didn't work properly ONLY in <40ºF. It rarely worked properly then, but in warm weather there was typically a period of 5 minutes here or there where it reported HR about 30-50 beats below actual. I tried many positions but none had any appreciable impact. I know that all HR monitors have problems, my chest strap would often over report HR in the 200s for minutes at a time.
Agreed.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 07-04-15, 09:14 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Using a Mio Link with Garmin 500. Have not had a single signal drop or data loss, not once, since I started using it. Pairs immediately with the Garmin, the second I push the power on the Mio, I hear the pairing chime from the Garmin. There is absolutely no chance I could wear a chest strap. I can't normally wear rings or watches-- hell, I can barely handle shirts with sleeves. I do also wear mine on the inside of the left arm, with the strap tight enough not to slip-- meaning I have the imprint of the monitor on my forearm for about 30 minutes after I get off the bike.
Old 07-04-15, 10:27 AM
Vicegrip

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While this does not go on your wrist it is not a chest strap type. I wear it on my arm just below my elbow or up under my jersey sleeve. I have found it easy to use and accurate as my chest strap without drops or battery problems. I snug it just enough to stay in place and it leaves no impressions or causes circulation cut off issues. I have not had the problems with battery life or inadvertent button pushes others seem to have had. So far so good. Highly Accurate Armband Heart Rate Monitor - Rhythm+
Old 07-04-15, 02:36 PM
cydewaze
Emondafied

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vicegrip
While this does not go on your wrist it is not a chest strap type. I wear it on my arm just below my elbow or up under my jersey sleeve. I have found it easy to use and accurate as my chest strap without drops or battery problems. I snug it just enough to stay in place and it leaves no impressions or causes circulation cut off issues. I have not had the problems with battery life or inadvertent button pushes others seem to have had. So far so good. Highly Accurate Armband Heart Rate Monitor - Rhythm+
Nice, thanks!

Old 07-04-15, 02:54 PM
cydewaze
Emondafied

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
REI has the Mio Link in a fugly color on sale for $60.

Mio LINK Heart Rate Monitor - Electric Special Edition - REI.com

But this sentence does not inspire confidence:

In extensive testing against top heart rate chest straps, Mio LINK consistently performed with 99% EKG accuracy, even while running and cycling at speeds of up to 14.4 MPH
Wow! 14.4MPH! Not sure if I'll EVER go that fast!

Old 07-04-15, 02:57 PM
K.Katso
Gold Member

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8, Pinarello Bolide, Argon 18 E-118, Bianchi Oltre, Cervelo S1, Wilier Pista

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had the same experience. It's sitting in my junk drawer now.
Old 07-04-15, 03:09 PM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
I don't think the chest strap is super comfy, but it's not something I even think about. But this idea that ALL HR straps are hit and miss? Where did that come from? I've put lots of miles on a Garmin chest strap and it's never given me bad data.

I did forget my HR strap for a post work ride and it did feel nice without it. The idea of a wrist strap sounds nice, but I had a hard enough time wearing one of those rubber charity bracelets. I think I took it off after a mile. Just really hot and uncomfortable.

I like the idea of the helmets coming to market that integrate a HR sensor, but I also like to wear a cycling cap to keep sweat out of my eyes. That and I'm picky about helmets.

Are there any low profile HR headbands?
Old 07-04-15, 03:11 PM
yamsyamsyams

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 20 Posts
I also use the Schoche Rhythm+ HRM arm band. It is super accurate when compared to my chest strap but there are a few downsides:

1. Battery lasts around 9hrs max at a time, needs recharging often
2. Created weird/ugly tan line on your arm
3. Currently costs about $100
Old 07-04-15, 03:12 PM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by WalksOn2Wheels
I don't think the chest strap is super comfy, but it's not something I even think about. But this idea that ALL HR straps are hit and miss? Where did that come from? I've put lots of miles on a Garmin chest strap and it's never given me bad data.

I did forget my HR strap for a post work ride and it did feel nice without it. The idea of a wrist strap sounds nice, but I had a hard enough time wearing one of those rubber charity bracelets. I think I took it off after a mile. Just really hot and uncomfortable.

I like the idea of the helmets coming to market that integrate a HR sensor, but I also like to wear a cycling cap to keep sweat out of my eyes. That and I'm picky about helmets.

Are there any low profile HR headbands?
I don't know about low profile HR headbands, but you would be cooler with a Sweat Guttr instead of a cap. Never becomes saturated with sweat no matter how much of it you produce. That would leave space for the HR headband.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 07-04-15, 04:41 PM
Vicegrip

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by yamsyamsyams
I also use the Schoche Rhythm+ HRM arm band. It is super accurate when compared to my chest strap but there are a few downsides:

1. Battery lasts around 9hrs max at a time, needs recharging often
2. Created weird/ugly tan line on your arm
3. Currently costs about $100
Agree to all 3 of the above with some modifiers.

1. Many folks don't bother to use HR on endurance rides. I did two almost back to back 200 mile + rides earlier this year and used the chest strap for one and nothing for the other. The chest strap double C pointed out what I already knew. I was loafing along at a sustainable for evar rate of 120 HR. (It doubles as a blinky in a pinch too. The 3 rapidly flashing LEDs can be seen from a good distance.

2. Tuck under jersey sleeve with strap or without. I have used my Schoche Rhythm with and without the strap under some of my tighter jerseys. (I have arms that belong to humans not "cyclists" and a jersey that fits the waist tends to be a bit snug in the arms, YMMV) Tucked under the sleeve right above the gripper is 100% pure comfort but I sometimes worried about it falling out even with it being snug and seemingly shake proof.

3. Paid 79.95 free shipping no tax. Close enough to $100 considering that is 2X chest straps. For some that is "Meh" money if it works well. for me getting kitted up and then thinking about the HR strap was a common occurrence. Slipping on an arm band after getting ready to ride = priceless.
Old 07-04-15, 05:01 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I use a Mio link with a Garmin Forerunner 50 watch as well as various iPhone apps. Not the same as a cycling computer, but it works great. No glitches that I can tell, but I don't download any data so I can't see it graphically. I just look at instant readout in real time and the full ride average at the end. Folks tell me that the wrist sensor does not supply the more complete heart function data that a chest strap does, just simple pulse rate, but that is all I am looking for anyway. I never could get a chest sensor to detect my heart rate until I had worked up a good sweat, but the wrist sensor is instant on. Sweet.

Mio is compatible via Ant+ or Bluetooth with lots of Garmin devices.
Robert, do you have a pic of the Mio Link?...is the Mio Link Ant+?
Old 07-04-15, 05:27 PM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
I don't know about low profile HR headbands, but you would be cooler with a Sweat Guttr instead of a cap. Never becomes saturated with sweat no matter how much of it you produce. That would leave space for the HR headband.
But then I would have to wear a Sweat Guttr. I'm way too vain for that. I might as well add a helmet mirror and a loose-fitting, hi-vis jersey.
Old 07-04-15, 07:59 PM
cydewaze
Emondafied

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
Here's the Mio Link in a decent color:

REI says:

Connect to your favorite fitness apps and sport devices with Bluetooth Smart (4.0) and ANT+ wireless
I'm thinking I could try the Mio, and if it sucks I could return it to REI and buy a Rhythm+ instead. I like the idea of the wrist mount slightly better than the arm mount. I could order it now and have it waiting for me when I got back from holiday.

Old 07-04-15, 08:09 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
I don't get what the problem is with the old school plastic Garmin chest strap. I don't even notice it there.

Maybe you guys have large chests or something...
Old 07-04-15, 09:07 PM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by Campag4life
Ant+ and Bluetooth. But the Ant+ is proprietary and does not work with all receivers. Garmin is one brand that has good compatibility with it. Timex, not so much. The complete list of compatible decices and photos are on the Mio website. The Bluetooth is no problem though. Universal.

Sorry I don't have a photo on my phone. Not near the computer tonight.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 07-05-15, 03:26 AM
Oldhead

Bikes: CAAD 8

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by f4rrest
I don't get what the problem is with the old school plastic Garmin chest strap. I don't even notice it there.

Maybe you guys have large chests or something...
I really don't notice mine while riding either but I think mine displays 20 to 30 beats higher then actual HR. I had a fit bit hr that showed way less and also had an ekg and stress test. The fit bit was right on with the ekg. For the workout that I got on the treadmill the ekg only had me in the 160's where I know the garmin would have shown me in the 190's by how I felt.
Old 07-05-15, 07:45 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldhead
I really don't notice mine while riding either but I think mine displays 20 to 30 beats higher then actual HR. I had a fit bit hr that showed way less and also had an ekg and stress test. The fit bit was right on with the ekg. For the workout that I got on the treadmill the ekg only had me in the 160's where I know the garmin would have shown me in the 190's by how I felt.
The only time my old Garmin strap reads high is at the start of a ride if I have a loose jersey and it flaps in the wind. When it's off it usually reads something like 240.
Old 07-05-15, 08:20 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Yeah I've got two garmin straps and two polar straps sitting around right now because they all just don't give me consistent accurate readings.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.