Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vintage Rossi Frame

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Vintage Rossi Frame

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-12, 10:37 AM
slim_pickens

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vintage Rossi Frame

I'm looking to buy a new frame and recently found this vintage Rossi Frame for sale on craigslist. It has Colombus Aelle tubing, Colombus pantographing on the seatstays, and fork crown, a Miche bottom bracket, headset and Gipiemme horizontal dropouts and fork tips. I don't know loads about the value of vintage frames but I know that Rossi is an italian manufacturer in Northern Italy and it seems like they are regarded as making pretty good bikes. What do you think? The frame is pretty expensive so I want to be sure that it's a good one.

Thanks!

(here are pictures)

https://images.craigslist.org/thumb/5...888cb51ced.jpg

https://images.craigslist.org/5G85Hd5...e576381b5a.jpg

https://images.craigslist.org/5Lc5If5...b24708187b.jpg

https://images.craigslist.org/5Ha5M25...cc8a84145b.jpg
Old 05-26-12, 10:39 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
I think it's mid-range tubing and flash over substance. What's pretty expensive?

The photos are too small to really see much. Rossins don't get a brand bump IMO. Is that a dent in the TT? Seatstays aren't doing much for me.
Old 05-26-12, 10:52 AM
slim_pickens

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for getting back, here are some bigger pictures sorry those others were tiny. Also it's a Rossi, not a Rossin but i'm assuming that doesn't change much.
https://i234.photobucket.com/albums/e...ppoi/Side1.jpg

https://i234.photobucket.com/albums/e...ombusdecal.jpg

https://i234.photobucket.com/albums/e...Seattube-1.jpg

https://i234.photobucket.com/albums/e...ppoi/crown.jpg

The frame is gonna cost around 150, is it not worth it?

I'm also riding a '78 Grand Prix raleigh right now and I realize that is a pretty low end bike, but would it make more sense to upgrade that one's components even though the frame isn't nice? Or should I start from scratch with this one?

Thanks again
Old 05-26-12, 10:55 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Apologies...meant Rossi, but used to talking about Rossins.

It's not doing much for me - and it's hard to tell in the photos, but I think I see frame damage on the TT. If it's in good shape it might be worth $150, maybe, but I wouldn't be the one to pay it. I'm not trying to dump on your find, but I'm not wild about it.
Old 05-26-12, 10:58 AM
slim_pickens

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hahaha no thank you, I'm new to the whole thing and I wanted an honest opinion. I guess I'm going to keep looking. Thanks for your help
Old 05-26-12, 10:59 AM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,379 Times in 892 Posts
That's not a bad deal, considering that the headset and BB are included. Some nice pantos on the frame as well. Aelle is the lowest level of tubing by Columbus, but still decent and it will ride fine.

At $150, you could ride this around for several years, and then sell it for more than you paid. Red, Italian, Chrome frames hold their value pretty well.

If the frame is dented, seriously lower the price or look elsewhere.
Old 05-26-12, 11:02 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Originally Posted by slim_pickens
Hahaha no thank you, I'm new to the whole thing and I wanted an honest opinion. I guess I'm going to keep looking. Thanks for your help
Keep in mind it's just one opinion, and I'm hardly perfect

The important thing is your opinion. To me - this is a mid-range frame with mid-range workmanship (or lower) with some nice little touches. But that's just me. The real killer is condition - something looks off and I think I see dents, at the least deep scratches.

I also would have little confidence that you could sell this for more than you paid...I respectfully disagree with thinktubes.
Old 05-26-12, 11:05 AM
slim_pickens

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you, good to keep in mind. Do you think I would be able to tell the difference while riding with the Aelle tubing from say a Reynolds 531. I realize the latter is much higher quality but do you think for a recreational cyclist/commuter it would make much of a difference?

Thanks
Old 05-26-12, 11:11 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

LOL - that's a loaded question without an easy answer. The quick answer is MAYBE, probably not. The tires and construction make more difference than the tubing. It is definitely a heavier frame than something like SL and worth a lot less. FYI - you can find 531 frames @ $150. Also - there are a LOT of varieties of 531. It's all so confusing!

The good news - you're in the right place for help.

Last edited by KonAaron Snake; 05-26-12 at 11:24 AM.
Old 05-26-12, 11:24 AM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Not trying to be contrarian, didn't see your post Aaron (we were typing at the same time )

I agree that is does look like there may be dents on the TT, but it could just be the photo.

Probably, the best bet would be to ask the seller if there are dents. If not, go take a look and make an offer. Couldn't hurt.

EDIT: Anyone else getting a BMZ vibe from this frame?
Old 05-26-12, 11:26 AM
slim_pickens

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's what I'm gonna do. I feel like I could mention what you said about the tubing as well and at least that would let him know im not completely ignorant and probably give me a better chance haggling haha. Thanks for the input!
Old 05-26-12, 11:36 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Originally Posted by thinktubes
Not trying to be contrarian, didn't see your post Aaron (we were typing at the same time )

I agree that is does look like there may be dents on the TT, but it could just be the photo.

Probably, the best bet would be to ask the seller if there are dents. If not, go take a look and make an offer. Couldn't hurt.

Dude...you're not contrarian, you're offering an opinion! I think it's good to give him different perspectives...

BMZ?
Old 05-26-12, 11:59 AM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by thinktubes

I am.
Old 05-26-12, 12:00 PM
slim_pickens

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango
I am.
What do you guys mean a "BMZ vibe"?
Old 05-26-12, 12:16 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

BMZ = Biemmezeta - they were an Italian framemaker who sourced frames for many companies (Palo Alto, Performance, etc...) A lot of the construction details look similar. If it was made by BMZ (not a bad thing) it will have "BMZ" stamped on the underside of the BB shell.
Old 03-27-21, 08:52 AM
Reid_Fleming

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
slim_pickens Did you end up buying this bike? I just picked up the same frame for a project.
Old 03-27-21, 10:47 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,039 Times in 1,877 Posts
Originally Posted by Reid_Fleming
slim_pickens Did you end up buying this bike? I just picked up the same frame for a project.
Rossi was the house brand of Scattolon Cycles in Hamilton. There were several different models and contract manufacturers over the years. If you want information about yours, you should post photographs.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 03-27-21, 11:27 AM
Reid_Fleming

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Thanks T-Mar - I will definitely post photos, once my Bikeforums training wheels come off. The frame I bought has the ghosts of the old Rossi decals. The Scattolon sticker is the only survivor. Seems to be the same model as shown above in this thread. The frame is stamped with "Columbus" and instead of a serial number on the bottom bracket, it's stamped with "AL" and "55".
Old 03-27-21, 11:53 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by Reid_Fleming
Thanks T-Mar - I will definitely post photos, once my Bikeforums training wheels come off. The frame I bought has the ghosts of the old Rossi decals. The Scattolon sticker is the only survivor. Seems to be the same model as shown above in this thread. The frame is stamped with "Columbus" and instead of a serial number on the bottom bracket, it's stamped with "AL" and "55".
There's no need to wait. While they won't appear in the post, uploaded photos will be deposited in a gallery album, under your user name, where other members can view them. Some Italian manufacturers, such as Bottecchia, did stamp the frames with the a tubeset designator. AL was used for Columbus Aelle, for obvious reasons. If the proper fitting seat post is 26.8mm, that would be conformation of Aelle, for at least the three main tubes.
Old 03-28-21, 03:44 PM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts
As T-Mar mentioned, they are mostly available in the GTA and I've seen a few pop up in marketplace over the past year or two which led me to research previous posts in this forum about them. I think they tend to be priced a little high as they are perceived to be Italian bikes but were not and low to mid quality bikes.
T-Mar can confirm once you show him a picture.
Old 03-29-21, 08:36 AM
T-Mar

Reid_Fleming's pictures shows what appear to be aa Campagnolo 990 rear derailleur, Miche crankset and Modolo brakes. This component combination would typically be considered entry level, though in conjunction with Aelle tubing, could elevate it lower mid-range. The 990 derailleur, if OEM, dates it no earlier than a 1985 model. To the best of my knowledge, the 990 didn't survive for very long. I'd place the bicycle 1985-1986, maybe 1987. This one looks like it could be Italian sourced. In addition to the seat post diameter, it would be interesting to know the bottom bracket threading standard.

Old 04-11-21, 11:48 AM
Reid_Fleming

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
Reid_Fleming's pictures shows what appear to be aa Campagnolo 990 rear derailleur, Miche crankset and Modolo brakes. This component combination would typically be considered entry level, though in conjunction with Aelle tubing, could elevate it lower mid-range. The 990 derailleur, if OEM, dates it no earlier than a 1985 model. To the best of my knowledge, the 990 didn't survive for very long. I'd place the bicycle 1985-1986, maybe 1987. This one looks like it could be Italian sourced. In addition to the seat post diameter, it would be interesting to know the bottom bracket threading standard.
Finally got the BB off (had to cheat and get my LBS to do it, as it was very stubborn), but it was indeed an Italian thread. Starting to remove the paint now - beautiful welds underneath.
Likes For Reid_Fleming:
Old 05-17-21, 04:45 PM
Sekine1974

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I picked up this one today and I’d love to know what other members think about it, thanks.

Likes For Sekine1974:
Old 05-17-21, 07:09 PM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts
Sekine1974 Nice upgraded components and Cinelli bar. I'm guessing this was one of the higher end models?
Old 05-17-21, 07:54 PM
Sekine1974

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by gthomson
Sekine1974 Nice upgraded components and Cinelli bar. I'm guessing this was one of the higher end models?
Thanks gthomson - I am a complete neophyte regarding these bikes, it was a quick score off a local Facebook Marketplace listing from today. I’m just entering the rabbit hole on these.

I’m trying to absorb the whole Benotto thing... What a massive history and very interesting. This one has no serial number under the bottom bracket, just the shape of a heart cut out. I’m quite perplexed by the variations of non-serial numbers and ones that actually have serial numbers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.