Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is there a nice hitch installed hanging bike rack that tilts with bikes on?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-23, 09:29 AM
RossRoss

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm shopping for a hitch bike rack and so far I found Thule Helium Pro to have most of the features I need. It is attached and removed from the hitch with ease very quickly without tools and is very light to be carried away. However the specifications say using of the tilting feature for SUV back door access is not recommended with bikes on but not explaining why. I checked many reviews with images and videos but didn't find and explanation and wonder what would be the problem tilting the racks with bikes on. I will greatly appreciate if someone who knows this rack give some input and also If anyone knows alternative rack with these features
Old 08-25-23, 11:32 AM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 274 Posts
Plenty.

I easily searched and looking a few on my screen right now.
Old 08-25-23, 12:31 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
I wonder why the hanging bike design is preferred here. Not saying there are no valid reasons for getting one. Sometimes the reason is simply that you like that type.

In my experience, the only advantage of a hanging as opposed to tray style rack would be for bikes with fenders. I could list multiple advantages of trays for every other bike.

Again, that's just my preference.
Old 08-25-23, 12:39 PM
MikeWMass

Bikes: Velosolex St. Tropez, LeMond Zurich (spine bike), Rotator swb recumbent

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 32 Posts
Is this what you mean?

2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD PRO with Thule Helium Pro 3 bike rack - Bing video
Old 08-25-23, 06:13 PM
RossRoss

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by soyabean
Plenty.

I easily searched and looking a few on my screen right now.
I will greatly appreciate if you share the links, I can't find any. All racks that tilt with bikes mounted are platform (tray) based not hanging racks.
Old 08-25-23, 06:14 PM
RossRoss

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Broctoon
I wonder why the hanging bike design is preferred here. Not saying there are no valid reasons for getting one. Sometimes the reason is simply that you like that type.

In my experience, the only advantage of a hanging as opposed to tray style rack would be for bikes with fenders. I could list multiple advantages of trays for every other bike.

I want a bike rack that is very easy to install and uninstall on the car and easy to carry for storage. I live in an apartment building with an outside double but small garage that is shared with a neighbor. There is not much space around the parked car in the garage, With two bikes and some other stuff kept at back wall of the garage I don't have space to keep the bike rack on the car and close the garage door. In fact I don't even have storage space for the rack in the garage, I have to remove it from the car and carry it to my apartment. If I didn't have these problems I would have preferred a platform rack but they are 30-40kg this Thule rack is 9kg. And its storage space is much less.
Old 08-25-23, 06:19 PM
RossRoss

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MikeWMass
Is this what you mean?

2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD PRO with Thule Helium Pro 3 bike rack - Bing video
Yes, that's the old version of the rack but the function is the same. In that video the guy tilted the rack without bikes on it and said "the bikes will sit there nicely" but this is exactly what Thule is recommending not to do and I'm trying to imagine what the problem would be. I asked this question on etrailer dot com (sorry, I can't insert link because I don't have enough posts) but got this answer there
Since the Thule Helium Pro Bike Rack for 3 Bikes # TH9043PRO is a hanging-style back rack it's not recommended to tilt with bikes on it because you'd end up having the bikes touch the ground, each other, of the vehicle. Without a cradle to secure the wheels they can freely swing back and forth and this could cause damage to the bikes or vehicle. One tip I've learned here is to also pick up a Velcro strap from your local hardware store and secure the front wheel to the frame of the bike to help prevent it from wagging back and forth.
Well it would have been great if someone had demonstrated the problem with a video because what I'm imagining doesn't seem to be a big problem but I might be wrong. I think the last bike will touch the ground and will hold the rack leaning on it.
Old 08-25-23, 06:53 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Originally Posted by RossRoss
I want a bike rack that is very easy to install and uninstall on the car and easy to carry for storage. I live in an apartment building with an outside double but small garage that is shared with a neighbor. There is not much space around the parked car in the garage, With two bikes and some other stuff kept at back wall of the garage I don't have space to keep the bike rack on the car and close the garage door. In fact I don't even have storage space for the rack in the garage, I have to remove it from the car and carry it to my apartment. If I didn't have these problems I would have preferred a platform rack but they are 30-40kg this Thule rack is 9kg. And its storage space is much less.
Check out the Kuat Sherpa 2.0. It is "reasonably" light-weight for a platform rack, folds close to the car, and tilts down as well. I bought it with the idea that I would need to take it off of the car a lot, but I very seldom bother. The One-UP is a bit heavier but very robust and popular, and is even better at folding flat.
Old 08-25-23, 09:33 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
If you really want the hanging rack style, a Swing-Away like this THULE Apex might be what you’re looking for.

I also had one of these Hollywood Sportrider platform racks. Mine was the basic model that didn’t have the tilt-away, but the arms on these fold up butterfly style, so they don’t take up a lot of room for storage.

I think the reason they don’t recommend tilting your rack with the bikes on, is that once you tilt far enough, the bikes aren’t really resting on the rack, as they are hanging from the rubber tie-down straps, which aren’t really meant for that, and you could potentially drop the bikes.

Last edited by Ironfish653; 08-25-23 at 10:00 PM.
Old 08-26-23, 05:33 AM
bfuser29831039

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Check out the Kuat Sherpa 2.0. It is "reasonably" light-weight for a platform rack, folds close to the car, and tilts down as well. I bought it with the idea that I would need to take it off of the car a lot, but I very seldom bother. The One-UP is a bit heavier but very robust and popular, and is even better at folding flat.
This is the rack we just bought. We like it alot and its light and easy to move around. It ends up staying on the 4Runner alot, the only change I made was used a standard locking hitch pin and not the tiny one they provide.(4Runner has a 2" hitch)
Old 08-26-23, 08:59 AM
MRBoston

Bikes: 1977 Nishiki in rehab

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RossRoss
I'm shopping for a hitch bike rack and so far I found Thule Helium Pro to have most of the features I need. It is attached and removed from the hitch with ease very quickly without tools and is very light to be carried away. However the specifications say using of the tilting feature for SUV back door access is not recommended with bikes on but not explaining why. I checked many reviews with images and videos but didn't find and explanation and wonder what would be the problem tilting the racks with bikes on. I will greatly appreciate if someone who knows this rack give some input and also If anyone knows alternative rack with these features
There are a couple of reasons for advising against using the tilt feature with bikes loaded on the rack, I would speculate. The manufacturer is a.) advising stoopid buyers that they can't protect them from stoopid behavior like unlatching a rack full of bikes and letting the whole show flop down against whatever stopping point there is, likely breaking something as a result, and b.) advising the more technically savvy that this is a very lightweight design, and that unlatching the rack with a load of bikes needs to be done very carefully. I imagine that in the manual/instructions with the rack there are several warnings about this and how Thule accepts no legal liability for results of this behavior.

At 9kg weight for the entire thing, I would assume it's all fairly thin-wall aluminum extrusion and plastic, and if you let the bike load go free to smack down against its stop, something either at the pivot joint, or maybe worse, at the hitch insertion point, is going to be under a LOT of stress.
Old 08-29-23, 11:49 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 447 Posts
Before buying a hitch-mount rack, make sure your existing hitch comes out!
Old 08-30-23, 07:58 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9654 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Another vote for the Kuat Sherpa. Get the dock as well which makes it easy to store.
Old 09-04-23, 06:34 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
I think the rational behind many manufacturers recommending against tilting with the bikes on is not due to THEIR particular design, but of the general nature of hanging racks. Unless there is some way to secure the bottom end of the bikes in place, they are going the slide against each other as you lower it and one bike becomes higher than the other, while at the same time the bikes get closer together.

It should be OK if the bikes are well secured so as not to shift, but most people don’t secure them very well.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 09-04-23, 06:36 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon

They are generally cheaper and lighter.
Old 09-06-23, 07:43 AM
Hvac

Bikes: About 10

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Thule

My elderly Thule swings out to the right and away from the rear gate or door. Let me know if you want to purchase it as I currently have two.
Old 09-07-23, 04:25 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
just to note, if you have a carbon frame, hanging racks are not recommended. below is thule's take and more than one bike manufacturer says the same

https://help.thule.com/s/article/Can...%20bike%20rack.

Old 09-07-23, 05:18 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
The low buck Allen Sport racks all tilt with the bikes on.

Amazon.com : Allen Sports Deluxe 2-Bike Hitch Mount Rack , Silver/Black (522RR) : Sports & Outdoors

I keep a 3 bike unit in the trunk of my car. Have used it for several years, never a problem.

I keep velcro straps in the trunk as well to secure the lower part of the bike to the rack. Not hard to hold the bikes by hand when tilting. The tilt mechanism has a pin with retaining clip that is easy to remove. The top unpins as well to take up less room in the trunk
Likes For Pop N Wood: