Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Mens Padded Underwear? (casual shorts on top)

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-23, 08:04 AM
somebikeguy 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 62 Posts

My padded gear is long in the tooth and I sought replacements but realized my ask is a bit odd. I like wearing casual / athletic shorts to cycle. I am skinny and want some solid padding in the man areas front and back. I keep looking for padded underwear but finding padded shorts/bibs intended to be worn as outer layers. Yes I could simply wear casual shorts over this but feel I'm searching wrong?

Can anyone steer me to comfy padded men's undershorts?
Old 09-09-23, 08:30 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,648 Times in 2,924 Posts
AliExpress has cycling underwear for men with gel and non-gel pads. Quite comfy and have good side ventilation. The legs are short so won’t show below your shorts.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-09-23, 08:30 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2488 Post(s)
Liked 2,957 Times in 1,680 Posts
Originally Posted by somebikeguy
My padded gear is long in the tooth and I sought replacements but realized my ask is a bit odd. I like wearing casual / athletic shorts to cycle. I am skinny and want some solid padding in the man areas front and back. I keep looking for padded underwear but finding padded shorts/bibs intended to be worn as outer layers. Yes I could simply wear casual shorts over this but feel I'm searching wrong?

Can anyone steer me to comfy padded men's undershorts?
Instead of buying padded undershorts (which are effectively bike shorts in all but name), I've gotten in the habit of wearing my various pairs of bib shorts under mountain-bike-style shorts (knee length, three pockets in front, none in back; about 30 dollars on Amazon). That way, I get to keep using my old bib shorts (that are too shabby to be worn in public) as the base layer.

I'm skinny, too (5' 8" or so, 115 lbs), and the one annoying thing about wearing the MTB shorts over the slick Lycra bibs is that they tend to slide up in front and down in back. Tightening them at the waistband enough to keep them in place ends up being uncomfortable. Suspenders helped a little, but not enough.

Finally figured out that I could attach the front suspender straps just an inch or so in front of the rear straps, so the back of the shorts is pulled up to where it belongs and the front doesn't ride up. Problem solved.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 09-09-23, 01:44 PM
bboy314

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 386 Posts
https://andiamounderwear.com/shop/mens-padded-skins/

I’m a fan of these Andiamo skins for that purpose.
Old 09-09-23, 02:31 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 101 Posts
Why don’t you look MTB shorts? They’re basically baggy shorts (with pockets) over a pair of padded cycling shorts.
Old 09-09-23, 02:47 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,841 Times in 833 Posts
I've worn "normal" clothes for cycling for close to 40 years. I typically wear standard bike shorts under my regular shorts or pants. I have satisfactorily used the Andiamo and other products that are designed for wear under other clothing, but I'm usually just happy with bike shorts.
Old 09-09-23, 03:25 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
You're looking in the right places. The padded bike shorts are meant to be worn as the inner layer, putting other shorts over them is "fine" just not that common because its not needed. They are essentially just padded underwear that are socially acceptable to wear as your only layer. Having them as the inner layer with basketball shorts over them makes way more sense than wearing underwear under the bike shorts. Bike shorts under athletic shorts are functionally identical to padded underwear under athletic shorts IMO.

I also had a problem with the shorts sliding down on the slick lycra material but whatever youre not trying to be fashionable (I think)
Old 09-09-23, 03:43 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 968 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
AliExpress has cycling underwear...
Yep I can vouch for these. Just be patient on the 14 day delivery time. Size can be a real issue with AliExpress purchases.

They used to have these in my size (XXL) on Amazon for 15 USD
"Men's Bike Cycling Underwear Shorts 3D Padded MTB Liner Bicycle Mountain Biking"
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/..._AC_UX679_.jpg
Old 09-09-23, 04:13 PM
Mtracer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 194 Posts
Just search Amazon for padded cycling underwear. I currently have some of these:
BALEAF Men's 3D Padded Bike Shorts Cycling Underwear MTB Liner

I've had some that were also more of a mesh which can help keep things cooler. But the one's I bought from Amazon are no longer available, but I'm sure others make something similar.
Old 09-09-23, 04:52 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
People that tour like to wear normal looking clothing sol that people in out of the way places don't look at them funny when they stop at a restaurant.
Old 09-09-23, 04:57 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by Mtracer
Just search Amazon for padded cycling underwear. I currently have some of these:
BALEAF Men's 3D Padded Bike Shorts Cycling Underwear MTB Liner

I've had some that were also more of a mesh which can help keep things cooler. But the one's I bought from Amazon are no longer available, but I'm sure others make something similar.
Remember that you're riding with normal clothing that you have to wear light things because exercise generates heat which is why we wear bike shorts and jersey's.

Of course with the "climate change" heating things up so much we almost froze to death this year. We've had only 6 weeks of short sleeve weather and I didn't even get a sunburn this year.
Old 09-09-23, 05:59 PM
streetsurfer

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 155 Posts
Andiamo is a brand that makes some padded shorts that are more underwear-like in weight.

I used others of theirs when I ran, bitd.
Old 09-09-23, 06:44 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2488 Post(s)
Liked 2,957 Times in 1,680 Posts
Originally Posted by RiceAWay
Remember that you're riding with normal clothing that you have to wear light things because exercise generates heat which is why we wear bike shorts and jersey's.

Of course with the "climate change" heating things up so much we almost froze to death this year. We've had only 6 weeks of short sleeve weather and I didn't even get a sunburn this year.
Search for "Hottest Year on Record." Depending on how it's calculated, 2023 is first or second (behind 2016). That's on Spherical Earth, though.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 09-09-23, 07:01 PM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 413 Posts
I’ve been using Brooks B17 saddles for years, and usually wear ordinary shorts and underwear, the saddles are comfortable enough that I can ride for hours without discomfort. I bought some padded shorts and padded underwear last spring, and found out that, though they absorbed bumps well, and were comfortable on short rides, they became very uncomfortable on longer rides. If you are running a typical, skinny road saddle, you’ll need padded shorts or underwear, but some saddles will be comfortable without requiring them.
Likes For 50PlusCycling:
Old 09-10-23, 07:24 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
I've never worn padded shorts, always just gym shorts or long sweats and standard underwear. Never had an issue.

I did buy a pair or the Andiamo padded underwear just to try them out. Well made stuff, but they didn't work well for me. They fit too loose in the front.
Old 09-11-23, 05:20 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 217 Posts
I often ride with my wife on paths/rail trails where we'll be walking a lot at stops, and I don't want to wear my road shorts. I've used padded cycling underwear for years under "normal" shorts of all types.

If you search for padded bicycle underwear, you'll find many inexpensive choices.