Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Thomas DeGent no fan of hookless…

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Thomas DeGent no fan of hookless…

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-24, 02:07 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
I found this SlowTwitch article from 2023 between Dan Empfield and Josh Poertner on hookless safety to be quite illuminating, and it avoids the drama/emotions drummed up from the high profile blowouts in the news that spurred the current focus on hookless.

It's balanced in the sense that neither are arguing for a ban on hookless and agreed that it was the direction wheels were going to go, but they disagreed on how dangerous current hookless wheels were to use for road cycling. Two things Josh said jumped out to me: 1) no measurable performance benefit to hookless, and 2) an alarming rate of blowoffs in testing hookless rims vs. none with hooked.

[Josh Poertner] While I know that hookless really is generally robust in the larger tire sizes as your experience has shown, I will say that in the 100+ tires we've tested over the last few years on 40+ wheels, we've had 6 blowoffs in tire seating, 3 blowoffs below the 110% ISO test, and 1 blowoff of a wheel just leaning against a wall. Every single one of them was on a hookless rim and following ETRTO guidelines. Or stated from the other side, we've never had a hooked tubeless blow off, and that's from a larger sample size and includes combinations that violate ETRTO in the pursuit of performance gains.
Also Adam Hansen, CPA head, wrote in the comments of an Escape Collective article

What we want is, a system in place where a rider can have a flat or a cracked rim and the tire stays in place. A tubular is extreme, but you could have decented at 100km/h with a flat and have zero issues. A clincher or tubeless there is a chance the tire can come off, but you still have the hooks to "try" to keep the tire on. Hookless... it's automatically comes off and carbon on road is never a safe option...
Likes For surak:
Old 03-07-24, 03:35 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,931 Times in 2,556 Posts
[QUOTE=surak;23177690]I found this SlowTwitch article from 2023 between Dan Empfield and Josh Poertner on hookless safety to be quite illuminating, and it avoids the drama/emotions drummed up from the high profile blowouts in the news that spurred the current focus on hookless.

It's balanced in the sense that neither are arguing for a ban on hookless and agreed that it was the direction wheels were going to go, but they disagreed on how dangerous current hookless wheels were to use for road cycling. Two things Josh said jumped out to me: 1) no measurable performance benefit to hookless, and 2) an alarming rate of blowoffs in testing hookless rims vs. none with hooked.

[Josh Poertner] While I know that hookless really is generally robust in the larger tire sizes as your experience has shown, I will say that in the 100+ tires we've tested over the last few years on 40+ wheels, we've had 6 blowoffs in tire seating, 3 blowoffs below the 110% ISO test, and 1 blowoff of a wheel just leaning against a wall. Every single one of them was on a hookless rim and following ETRTO guidelines. Or stated from the other side, we've never had a hooked tubeless blow off, and that's from a larger sample size and includes combinations that violate ETRTO in the pursuit of performance gains.{/QUOTE]

Also Adam Hansen, CPA head, wrote in the comments of an Escape Collective article
Suggesting Thomas de Gendt isn't totally out of his head.
Old 03-07-24, 05:13 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2483 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
I didn't miss the question. If you're a believer, then you'll be certain that your tire will never come off. No one has ever had a tire come off a hooked rim - absolutely can't happen, right?
If I'm reading correctly, you're not so much saying that there's an advantage to hookless as that there's no disadvantage.

On the other hand, I have read suggestions that the walls of hookless rims have to be stronger to keep from flexing outward from tire pressure - otherwise, the chance of a tire blowing off would escalate - and are therefore, as a fortunate coincidence, also less prone to being damaged by potholes and such.
Old 03-07-24, 06:08 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,299 Times in 2,947 Posts
I didn't miss the question.
Okay. But, you certainly didn't address it.
Old 03-07-24, 07:06 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4736 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
I'm skeptical that it will make any difference if you're traveling 50 mph and have a major puncture. I've been riding high speed descents in Colorado since 2003. I'm not worried about it.
t
So you've had a number of major punctures on hookless doing this and it was just fine?
Old 03-07-24, 07:20 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
So you've had a number of major punctures on hookless doing this and it was just fine?
I live in a mountainous area with a strong cycling community. On an average weekend on our local climb which is approx 3000’ there are hundreds of riders most on premium gear of which I am sure some are hookless. Also one of my best friends owns a local premium bike shop who moves hundreds of quality bikes a month some of which run hookless. I have never heard of an issue the death cult seems so obsessed about.
Old 03-07-24, 08:00 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
I live in a mountainous area with a strong cycling community. On an average weekend on our local climb which is approx 3000’ there are hundreds of riders most on premium gear of which I am sure some are hookless. Also one of my best friends owns a local premium bike shop who moves hundreds of quality bikes a month some of which run hookless. I have never heard of an issue the death cult seems so obsessed about.
I don't doubt it, but how many have had major punctures while doing the downhills at 50mph?
Old 03-07-24, 11:22 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
I don't doubt it, but how many have had major punctures while doing the downhills at 50mph?
You’re implying the number is very low — which supports the conclusion that the scenario isn’t worth worrying about.
Old 03-08-24, 01:58 AM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1963 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
- its already been shown that very few options even exist where there is an option to buy a wheel in hooked and hookless, the hooked costs more, and the lower cost is why people buy the hookless option.
- its already been shown that a popular up and coming wheel brand offers rims and wheel builds in hooked and hookless for the same price, so lower cost isnt why people buy the hookless option..

Exactly!
Old 03-08-24, 06:09 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
The advantages of hookless are purely in the manufacturing side. There are no advantages for the rider in terms of riding. I won't address the price thing because there has been a good amount of discussion on that already.

There are however disadvantages for hookless in terms of riding and use.
they aren't as safe as hooked.
This one's pretty self explanatory when you think about it. The tire and rim width combinations are extremely limited when compared to hooked. With hookless you have one rim doing one job, because there's so few tire widths you can use on a given rim width. With hooked you can use a narrow road tire and a wide gravel tire on the same rim.

The pressure limits are low. The tires can't hold on for more pressure, which isn't confidence inspiring.

Tire choices are limited, because manufacturers need to test whether a tire is safe on their rim. Which is absurd. Standardization should be enough.

ETRTO is enough for hooked. Hookless is based on ETRTO but that's a wrong standard, because ETRTO was made for hooked with the assumption there would be a hook. Taking the hook away makes the rims pretty darn different.

In order to make hookless safe there needs to be tighter tire manufacturing tolerances, which just isn't going to happen. Bicycle tolerances are what they are and have always been. To assume they're magically going to get better is silly.

To address the tolerance issue AND the blowout issue, sidewalls of hookless rims need to be taller. But this in turn can make mounting tires nearly impossible on the road. Having floppy 200g tires on rims which have had THE major tire retention device removed is just asking for trouble.

I remembered correctly btw. There was a manufacturer that proposed glueing on a hook after the rim has initially been manufactured with the hookless process. That manufacturer was no other than SRAM.
That might actually be a pretty good idea, because you'll get the advantages of hookless manufacturing and a bead hook. So to have your cake and eat it too.
Likes For elcruxio:
Old 03-08-24, 06:47 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by elcruxio
The advantages of hookless are purely in the manufacturing side. There are no advantages for the rider in terms of riding. I won't address the price thing because there has been a good amount of discussion on that already.

There are however disadvantages for hookless in terms of riding and use.
they aren't as safe as hooked.
This one's pretty self explanatory when you think about it. The tire and rim width combinations are extremely limited when compared to hooked. With hookless you have one rim doing one job, because there's so few tire widths you can use on a given rim width. With hooked you can use a narrow road tire and a wide gravel tire on the same rim.

The pressure limits are low. The tires can't hold on for more pressure, which isn't confidence inspiring.
To your points above, it seems that many of the issues relate to the very wide rim widths being made hookless but for road riding (ie. 25mm ID widths). All of this for the supposed aero benefit.
From the below, a hookless rim with a 19mm ID width is supposedly compatible with every road tire width you'd probably ever want to be able to run, and supposedly, a 19mm rim width allows higher pressures than the 73psi bandied about all of the time.

Attached Files
Old 03-08-24, 07:28 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
To your points above, it seems that many of the issues relate to the very wide rim widths being made hookless but for road riding (ie. 25mm ID widths). All of this for the supposed aero benefit.
From the below, a hookless rim with a 19mm ID width is supposedly compatible with every road tire width you'd probably ever want to be able to run, and supposedly, a 19mm rim width allows higher pressures than the 73psi bandied about all of the time.

Yeah, the word ''extremely'' in his post is a little extreme (see what I did there?).
Old 03-08-24, 07:29 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,486 Times in 870 Posts
The hooks only work when the tire is inflated. A deflated clincher on a hooked rim is still going to come off if you keep riding it.

You either believe that DeGent's tire spontaneously blew off the rim, causing the crash (and rim damage occurred during the crash) - or you believe what Vittoria and Zipp have concluded, that he hit a rock, which damaged the rim causing the tire to deflate, which then came off the rim.

On either system, you're probably in a world of trouble if you have a spontaneous blowout at 50mph on an alpine descent. Pretending that hooked rims are going to save you in this situation is silly.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 03-08-24, 07:31 AM
eduskator

Originally Posted by msu2001la
The hooks only work when the tire is inflated. A deflated clincher on a hooked rim is still going to come off if you keep riding it.

You either believe that DeGent's tire spontaneously blew off the rim, causing the crash (and rim damage occurred during the crash) - or you believe what Vittoria and Zipp have concluded, that he hit a rock, which damaged the rim causing the tire to deflate, which then came off the rim.

On either system, you're probably in a world of trouble if you have a spontaneous blowout at 50mph on an alpine descent. Pretending that hooked rims are going to save you in this situation is silly.
Yeah, lets wait to see the conclusion of the investigation. I would not 100% rely on the manufacturer's statement given that they are in a conflict of interest, but for what it's worth I think that hookless rims are safe.

People skip to conclusion too fast nowadays.
Old 03-08-24, 07:46 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Can we get some decent, zoomed in footage of the wreck? I'm not seeing the sudden, violent deceleration from hitting an immovable object hard enough to break a supposedly strong sidewall rim. I don't need to see an endo, but he just looks like he lost traction in some loose surface covering. It doesn't look like he hit a trip wire, curb or expansion joint sticking up slightly. We need to see the rock big enough to cause that damage.

Last edited by seypat; 03-08-24 at 09:52 AM.
Likes For seypat:
Old 03-08-24, 09:48 AM
elcruxio

If you look at rim manufacturer websites the allowable tire widths are far more restricted.

As to the 5 bar / 73psi, that comes directly from ETRTO. So essentially the absolute do not exceed limit of hookless on any size tire is 5 bar / 73psi or lower if dictated by the manufacturer.

I'd love to get the current ERTRO standards handbook but it's 150 €, so a bit too steep just for wanting to know a few things.
Old 03-08-24, 10:33 AM
eduskator

If you look at rim manufacturer websites the allowable tire widths are far more restricted.

As to the 5 bar / 73psi, that comes directly from ETRTO. So essentially the absolute do not exceed limit of hookless on any size tire is 5 bar / 73psi or lower if dictated by the manufacturer.

I'd love to get the current ERTRO standards handbook but it's 150 €, so a bit too steep just for wanting to know a few things.
False. I had a pair of hookless Giant SLR-1 wheels on my previous race bike and they had a maximum pressure limit way above 73psi. It was 125psi if I recall properly. Most manufacturer, however, have a maximum pressure of 5 bars.

Giant Hookless Technology | Giant Bicycles Canada (giant-bicycles.com)
Old 03-08-24, 10:40 AM
elcruxio

Originally Posted by eduskator
False. I had a pair of hookless Giant SLR-1 wheels on my previous race bike and they had a maximum pressure limit way above 73psi. It was 125psi if I recall properly. Most manufacturer, however, have a maximum pressure of 5 bars.

Giant Hookless Technology | Giant Bicycles Canada (giant-bicycles.com)
You may want to review the content behind that link. Like I mentioned earlier, the 5bar / 73psi is set by ERTRO, meaning that rims / tires deviating from that would be outside the specifications set out by ERTRO.
Old 03-08-24, 10:45 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
You guys convinced me!! I’m selling my Zipps tomorrow and buying a set of hooked alloy DT Alexrims wheels that weigh 2200g. I mean between no hooks and possible crabon asplosions i definitely should ditch these wheels.
Old 03-08-24, 11:01 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
You guys convinced me!! I’m selling my Zipps tomorrow and buying a set of hooked alloy DT Alexrims wheels that weigh 2200g. I mean between no hooks and possible crabon asplosions i definitely should ditch these wheels.
Over the top responses that go to the extreme and dip into the absurd are always fun to read.**
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 03-08-24, 11:03 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Over the top responses that go to the extreme and dip into the absurd are always fun to read.**
Well, I guess since it was supposed to be as absurd as some of the responses we’ve seen in this thread, mission accomplished.
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 03-08-24, 11:03 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

You may want to review the content behind that link. Like I mentioned earlier, the 5bar / 73psi is set by ERTRO, meaning that rims / tires deviating from that would be outside the specifications set out by ERTRO.
From digging around, the 73psi guidance is for a very specific subset evidently (namely tires labelled as 25-29mm). And then using the 'because physics' logic, well maybe you can interpolate that if 73psi is max for 29mm tires, it should really be higher for a 25mm tire because there will be less volume of compressed air . And as you get more away from the sweet spot for tire vs rim width compatibility, the PSIs should change for those reasons as well.

Old 03-08-24, 11:05 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
Exactly!
Old 03-08-24, 11:38 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10435 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
As entertaining as all this is, it's all moot for me because I can't justify (to myself) spending that much on wheels, so I'm stuck with hooked alloy rims.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 03-08-24, 11:50 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
I agree with the poster who said that a major puncture at 50 mph is going to be a big problem with hooked or hookless rims. I go that fast dozens of times each year. I'm not going to worry about it, but I do watch well ahead for possible road problems.

Whoever said that hookless rims make for limited tire choices is correct. The most popular tire widths have been increasing as disc brake frames have gradually replaced rim brake frames. Along with disc brakes has come wider tires. 25mm is now considered to be on the skinny side and very few are listed as compatible with hookless rims. 28mm tires have become the new minimum, like it or not. Hookless rims also work with much wider gravel tires, so they don't restrict gravel tire size. If you move up to the 25mm IW hookless rims that I use, most tire brands approve of 28mm and larger tires to be used on them, but ETRTO has recently decided that 29mm is the new minimum. In 2022, 28mm was OK. I've had no problems with 28mm and I'll at least use them until all of mine are worn out. I've got six 30mm Pirelli P-Zero Road TLR tires that are significantly less expensive than race version, waiting to be used.

Those complaining that they can't use hookless without exceeding 73 psi are probably restricted by a frame that can't handle a tire larger than a 28mm and/or you're not using the Zipp pressure calculator. The Silca pressure calculator does not consider internal rim width or hookless rims and limits the combined rider and bike weight to 200 pounds with 73 psi. The Zipp pressure calculator allows a total weight of up to 270 pounds with 28mm tires and 23mm IW hookless or 21mm or wider hooked tubeless rims, at higher pressures. I use the Zipp pressure calculator exclusively.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.