Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Rei sale- Ortlieb etc.

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Rei sale- Ortlieb etc.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-17, 07:46 AM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rei sale- Ortlieb etc.

I got an Rei catalog in the mail yesterday. Ortlieb panniers 25% off. And other misc. bicycle stuff on sale. Fly Creek tents, therm-a-rest stuff, and ohh yes!! folding chairs. Sale until may 29 it seems.
Old 05-18-17, 08:01 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Folding chair? I think it is well established that I am no weight weenie, but I can't imagine carrying a folding chair!

Also if you are looking at Ortliebs, many Euro sites have them much cheaper than you can get them in America, especially if you don't have your mind set on a particular color/style and can spread the shipping out over a few items. I could order Ortlieb back and fronts shipped from Holland Bike Shop for about $190.
Old 05-18-17, 08:30 AM
TobyID

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For the chair, it is one designed for backpackers. It comes in at a pound and measures 13.8 x 3.9 x 3.9 inches.

Might not be horrible: rei.com - /product/109587/helinox-chair-zero
Old 05-18-17, 10:46 AM
john_mct

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Folding chair? I think it is well established that I am no weight weenie, but I can't imagine carrying a folding chair!

Also if you are looking at Ortliebs, many Euro sites have them much cheaper than you can get them in America, especially if you don't have your mind set on a particular color/style and can spread the shipping out over a few items. I could order Ortlieb back and fronts shipped from Holland Bike Shop for about $190.
Yeah but you can't conveniently return them for a full refund or replacement to the nearest rei if you put a hole in one in under a year from purchase date...
Old 05-18-17, 01:22 PM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Almost bought my Ortleibs from REI using the discount one year, but, just before I pulled the trigger, I decided to search for other options and found them even cheaper elsewhere. Still, REI can be a good deal. With my recent 25% off coupon, I bought a Revelate Terrapin seat bag. I didn't even know the REI was carrying Revelate stuff, but they are, and that bag had been on my wish list.

As for the chair, I have the REI Flexlite and love it. The first version had feet that would come off, and did come off, when pulling the chair out of the mud. The next version addressed that. Mine developed a tear at one of the pockets where the fabric connects to the frame, but REI replaced it. I was going to replace it with the Helinox version that was comparable, but I tested it out and found it far less comfortable.

And, yes, to some, carrying a chair is a little excessive. the chair folds small and doesn't take much room, but even so. But many of my trips are more camping than biking, and I have a couple of music festivals I bike to every year. Having a chair there is great, and worth the transport. I plan on taking it with me on an upcoming camping weekend, but after the weekend, I plan on taking a one week, bike tour before returning home. I may send the chair and a couple of other items home. But if you're going to travel with a chair, I've tried a few options, and I like the REI one a decent balance of weight, compact-storage, and comfort.
Old 05-18-17, 01:39 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,933 Times in 2,558 Posts
Originally Posted by john_mct
Yeah but you can't conveniently return them for a full refund or replacement to the nearest rei if you put a hole in one in under a year from purchase date...
Have you owned an Ortleib? You have to work to put a hole in them. I finally succeeded with my first pair at 10 years when I hastily packed a very sharp large kitchen knife in mine. A call to a local rafting outfit got me the repair kit to get. The repair was straight forward and permanent. Except for that one hole, all my Ortleibs have been fully watertight. (Really easy to check. Put them on a dry floor. Fill them with water. Come back an hour later. How's the floor?)

Ortleib hardware is all replaceable and any bike shop can order it. I buy generally from local shops, including the local REI of which I am a member. I see one plus being that of color. I will only buy yellow panniers. That bright color might only save my life once and I will never know, but that's enough reason for me.

Ben
Old 05-18-17, 01:49 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18429 Post(s)
Liked 15,583 Times in 7,338 Posts
Not so cut and dried:

"REI’s guarantee doesn’t cover ordinary wear and tear or damage caused by improper use or accidents."
Old 05-18-17, 01:55 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18429 Post(s)
Liked 15,583 Times in 7,338 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
You have to work to put a hole in them.

I am the hardest working man in bike touring. I have a tiny cut in the outside pocket of one of my Back Packer Plus panniers. It happened during the fourth year of use. I think it happened when I scraped the pannier against one of numerous cattle gates you have to open and close on the Mickelson Trail in South Dakota. Totally my fault. It doesn't affect the function as water has never gotten in. My other one also has a hole burned nearly through it. Must have been from a campfire ember.
Old 05-18-17, 02:17 PM
john_mct

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Have you owned an Ortleib? You have to work to put a hole in them. I finally succeeded with my first pair at 10 years when I hastily packed a very sharp large kitchen knife in mine. A call to a local rafting outfit got me the repair kit to get. The repair was straight forward and permanent. Except for that one hole, all my Ortleibs have been fully watertight. (Really easy to check. Put them on a dry floor. Fill them with water. Come back an hour later. How's the floor?)

Ortleib hardware is all replaceable and any bike shop can order it.

Ben
Yeah I put a one inch tear in the bottom of a front roller Classic in a sub five mph soft crash, same bag also had one of the upper fastening clips break and a lower fastening screw fall out on a two month cross country trip... I ended up just gorilla taping it to the rack til the end of the trio and then returned the pair to rei for a refund, they took it without any real questions and never offered to order replacement stuff for it. This was a paved road tour and considering the price and reputation, I'm glad I got my money back.
Old 05-18-17, 02:38 PM
edthesped

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TobyID
For the chair, it is one designed for backpackers. It comes in at a pound and measures 13.8 x 3.9 x 3.9 inches.

Might not be horrible: rei.com - /product/109587/helinox-chair-zero
I bought a couple of helinox chairs last year and carried one between Pgh and DC last year and it's certainly light enough for a bike. I used it a total of one time over 4 days and the legs sank into the dirt making it unstable, the other days I sat at picnic tables. The chair is quite comfy on solid ground though. It's 50/50 if I take it out this year.
Old 05-18-17, 03:01 PM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Not so cut and dried:

"REI’s guarantee doesn’t cover ordinary wear and tear or damage caused by improper use or accidents."
Judging from some of the stuff I see at the Garage Sales, I can't imagine that policy is ever enforced.

I'm not sticking the cost of my screw up on someone else. Defect? Sure, but not if I poked a hole in it though my own doing.
Old 05-18-17, 03:20 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Folding chair...
Good find. Have you purchased anything from HBS?
Old 05-18-17, 08:56 PM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by seeker333
Good find. Have you purchased anything from HBS?
I haven't, just found them because I see the name bandied about around here from time to time. Even with $35ish shipping, at less than $60 for front panniers I'm tempted to give them a go whenever I decide I need a matched set to my backs!
Old 05-18-17, 09:11 PM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by edthesped
I bought a couple of helinox chairs last year and carried one between Pgh and DC last year and it's certainly light enough for a bike. I used it a total of one time over 4 days and the legs sank into the dirt making it unstable, the other days I sat at picnic tables. The chair is quite comfy on solid ground though. It's 50/50 if I take it out this year.
People love to buy these gimmicky things and rarely make them part of their regular kit. There's a tendency to imagine use-scenerios that don't materialize much in the real-world. Even if the weight is minimal, they are rather bulky.

BUT PERSONALLY: I do carry a sit-pad (1.4 ounces) and it is part of my regular kit. I use it daily and it serves dual purpose as rack cushion.

blue sit-pad doubling as barrier/protectant for my tent.

Last edited by BigAura; 05-18-17 at 09:34 PM.
Old 05-18-17, 09:18 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Yeah I put a one inch tear in the bottom of a front roller Classic in a sub five mph soft crash, same bag also had one of the upper fastening clips break and a lower fastening screw fall out on a two month cross country trip... I ended up just gorilla taping it to the rack til the end of the trio and then returned the pair to rei for a refund, they took it without any real questions and never offered to order replacement stuff for it. This was a paved road tour and considering the price and reputation, I'm glad I got my money back.
my Ortlieb Back Rollers have 18,000 touring miles on them, and the worst thing that happened was losing a clip insert. The clips still worked, and the sizing insert was was replaced at the next bike shop I ran across.

This is the result of my right front pannier's high speed encounter with a tall curb. The bag is still waterproof.

In our family we have given Ortlieb products a pretty good field check. Our son and daughter-in-law (not in the picture, and not bike tourers) also use Ortlieb pannier for commuting.

Old 05-18-17, 09:31 PM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by BigAura
People love to buy these gimmicky things and rarely make them part of their regular kit. There's a tendency to imagine use-scenerios that don't materialize much in the real-world. Even if the weight is minimal, they are rather bulky.
i don't get it! some of the same people that are constantly
berating the luddites for their oldfangled heavy frames,
recommending spending (well....borrowing...) an extra
thousand bucks for a calcium fiber frame to save less
than a pound, then turn around a tote along some gimmicky
thing, negating their thousand dollar weight reduction.

maybe they should look for advice on packing from
the thru-hikers. they know where its at! maybe
check out whiteblahs.net or something.
Old 05-19-17, 10:34 AM
PMike

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used the REI sale to buy Ortlieb rear classics. I'm doing a big tour this summer and they have been great on and over night trip and toting all my stuff around in training.

I also bought a chair. I wound up buying a $33 knockoff of the Helinox on Amazon. My tour this summer will be in mountains, so I am watching cargo weight. So, this is my big splurge weight wise. I figure I can mail it home if it is too cumbersome. So far, I love it. Even on the overnighter, it was nice to pull out the chair and sit on it rather than picnic benches or logs. When I took rests during the day, I was quick to pull it out and sit.
Old 05-19-17, 08:47 PM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So how much does the knock off weigh? My problem with trying to get light weight stuff from Amazon is they seldom give the wt. So you really have no idea what you're getting.
Old 05-21-17, 08:29 AM
edthesped

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BigAura

BUT PERSONALLY: I do carry a sit-pad (1.4 ounces) and it is part of my regular kit. I use it daily and it serves dual purpose as rack cushion.

blue sit-pad doubling as barrier/protectant for my tent.
Unfortunately I got mine on an Amazon lightning deal, had I purchased from REI it would likely turn up in one of their garage sales. OTOH, I purchased an Ortlieb Pro E handlebar bag from REI thinking I'd likely return it and it has become my favorite commuting bag. I roll my clothes and velcro them to my rear rack and put my lunch and other daily needs in the handlebar bag, ease of access while riding is great on longer rides as I don't have to stop to grab a protein bar.
Old 05-21-17, 08:49 AM
edthesped

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by saddlesores
i don't get it! some of the same people that are constantly
berating the luddites for their oldfangled heavy frames,
recommending spending (well....borrowing...) an extra
thousand bucks for a calcium fiber frame to save less
than a pound, then turn around a tote along some gimmicky
thing, negating their thousand dollar weight reduction.

maybe they should look for advice on packing from
the thru-hikers. they know where its at! maybe
check out whiteblahs.net or something.
I think BigAura called it right... I ride a steel frame and borrow my sons ultralight hiking gear when I ride. I'm old and appreciate a good comfy seat at the end of the day so it really did sound like a good idea. I typically carry 90% of my gear in the front so bulk isn't that much of an issue. I velcro my tent, footprint, lock and crocs to the deck of my rear rack. The Helionox doesn't take up enough real estate to be an issue but the fact that legs sink into soft ground makes it all but unusable for me.

The helinox is the red bag on the rear rack..

Last edited by edthesped; 06-23-17 at 06:59 AM.
Old 05-21-17, 06:46 PM
PMike

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Squeezebox
So how much does the knock off weigh? My problem with trying to get light weight stuff from Amazon is they seldom give the wt. So you really have no idea what you're getting.
The knock off weights just under 2#. Without the bag it is 1# 12oz.

This is the one I got. I've used it a bunch of times. I am about 195# and I feel pretty stable and comfortable with it.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 05-21-17, 07:09 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by saddlesores
i don't get ...
these are pretty good, seating comfort for only 10/13 oz, compatible with newer (neo) air pads