Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Rim Brake Pad "sanding" Flat ..

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-23, 02:46 PM
magicpie55

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Hello ... I have a set of rim brake pads I'd like to try ... Looking at them thou their thicker in the middle than the ends ..seems to me the middle would just touch the rim during braking and not the whole pad .. wouldn't work as well as they should ..seems to me ..

I'm thinking of sanding them flat before installing them ... Or at least if after Installing them it seems their not working so great then try sanding them flat ... I have no experience in this stuff and will appreciate any tips ..
Thanks .. Don
Old 09-07-23, 03:08 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
is the curve front to rear, or top to bottom?
what type of brakes? V-brake? Canti? Side pull? Disc brake?
Are the pads extremely Hard? Old? Any brand name obvious?

i resurface brake pads if they are not worn down badly...this presents a fresh surface that will then bed into the rim they are now being used on.

a front to back arc would indicate possible brake problems beyond just the pad.
Old 09-07-23, 03:24 PM
magicpie55

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
It's the ends that curve up a bit ..like the center is going to hit the rim first and the ends might not help stopping at all ...in my mind ..I have 4 differen't sets of pads/shoes whatever their called ..Have never gotten very good braking out of any of them ...

I'm just messing with this ...again ... It's really no problem as I usually ride at 7-8 mph ...Stopping is pretty easy from that speed .. I'm just trying again to see if I can make it stop better .. I don't have much hope ..Ha ..

Thanks for the reply ..out the door now for a 1 hour evening ride ..thanks again ...Don
Old 09-07-23, 05:32 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Automobile brake pads are pretty commonly chamfered on both ends. When setting up rim brakes I mount them angled such that the front touches first, this avoids brake chatter and squealing.

I would leave the pads alone and just ride
Likes For Pop N Wood:
Old 09-07-23, 06:24 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
If the ends curve up and touch the tire, that could cut the tire cords, cause a very sudden blowout and ruin both that tire and your ride. Are these pads that are curved to fit the rim curvature but mounted upside down? Getting that sorted out wold be the easy fix. Otherwise, re-shaping would be highly recommended.

A note that may not be relevant here - on the caliper brakes with pivots above the rim height, ie dual pivots, side pulls, center pulls and V-brakes, when the pads wear, the contact happens higher on the rim. ie closer to the tire. Cantilevers; with their pivots below the rim, move down as the pads wear. So neglected high pivot brakes (the vast majority) can cause blowouts. Low pivot brakes can put the pads into the spokes. Both have real potential to end rides in rather nasty fashion.
Old 09-07-23, 07:41 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Did you buy used brake pads? You don't need to eyeball them to see if they have a curve, just lay them on a flat table and see if they rock back and forth.