Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Pedals for commuting

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Pedals for commuting

Old 06-14-11, 04:52 PM
storckm
Cyclist

Bikes: Yuba Mundo; Early 70's Free Spirit (Reynolds 531) fixie; 80's Shogun 500; Mid 90's Iron Horse tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think you have to rule out toe clips. I commute in moccasin style shoes with a fairly boxy toe and a raised seam, as well as sandals, and haven't had much trouble with toe clips, although I bend them a little to make them squarer. I am using some shimano 105 toe clip pedals that I found on e-bay, since they are good for cornering. I sawed and filed off the shelf that is supposed to catch on your cleats, since it was wearing a hole into the shoe's sole. I've also used MKS platform pedals, and liked them better. And on another bike that I use to commute, I have cheap rat-trap pedals without straps, and don't notice much difference in actual performance.
Old 06-14-11, 04:53 PM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DirtRoadRunner View Post
I ride Shimano A530's. SPD on one side, platform on the other. I find that I almost never ride them as platform pedals. I dislike the sensation of my feet loose on the pedals far too much. But, occasionally I do and they are useful for a quick trip of a few blocks in my normal shoes.
I just got a new Nashbar catalog and they're selling a pedal called the soho that looks very similar:

Last edited by tjspiel; 06-14-11 at 04:57 PM.
Old 06-14-11, 06:52 PM
Schwinnrider
Mirror slap survivor

Bikes: Gunnar Sport, Surly Pacer, Access MTB, Ibex Corrida, one day a Simple City

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I suppose it all depends on the length of your commute. While people HAVE toured the world on platform pedals, a stiff soled shoe and some sort of retention make a big difference for most people when pedalling any sort of distance. Or at least it seems to help my feet from becoming fatigued. You're not supposed to pull while using clipless, either on the road or bunnyhopping. On the road, they help you maintain an efficient spin. And BMX'ers get huge air with no sort of retention.

To the OP----if you don't want to use a dual sided clipless/platform, the suggestion for toe clips or Power Grips is a good one. I rode all through my teens and early twenties with toe clips and straps. They're less dangerous than clipless, if you don't cinch them down really tightly.
Old 06-14-11, 06:52 PM
GojiSube

Bikes: Trek 7.5FX; Novara Safari

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stubby View Post
Just go old school and be done with it.

https://store.velo-orange.com/index.p...ck-pedals.html
I'm so tempted...how well do they work with tennis shoes/sneakers?
Old 06-14-11, 06:54 PM
evangelinegale

Bikes: 96' lemond tourmalet, 11' leader 725tr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
having rode lots of fixie and roadie and commuted daily on one or the other i have to say bmx pedals and velcro straps would be my recommendation. they're easy to use and a great introduction to using foot retention. obviously i like so many people have come to swear by my clipless setup but i realize this concept is scary at first. platforms are good but the ability to pull as you push is better.
Old 06-14-11, 07:49 PM
ortcutt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

To CJ C (the OP): These look great. They'd work well with a range of shoe styles, notably those with smooth soles.
Additionally: Be open-minded, but skeptical, about all the views aired on this thread about the importance of foot retention. They're based on individual experience, after all, so I'll report my own. I commuted for a year with clipless pedals and wondered why I ever used anything else. Then I commuted for a year with plain old flat pedals and wondered why I ever used anything else. I'm back with clipless, and (of course) I love it. I was forced to accept the shocking proposition that I enjoy riding a bike, however it is configured.

Last edited by ortcutt; 06-14-11 at 07:53 PM. Reason: piddling typo
Old 06-14-11, 09:16 PM
Eclectus

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpy, Schwinn 974

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been using Shimano M-647 downhill SPD, which can be ridden in tennies or sandals or thongs as platforms, with double-sided clip-ins. Nice design. I have foot-numbing diabetes, so I need to be able to pedal across intersections without getting a secure clip-in, but other people in my family without DM like them too.
Old 06-14-11, 09:24 PM
Dean7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AdamDZ View Post
Either use clipless pedals or just flat pedals without any straps. All those kinds of straps take longer to get you foot out than unclipping from a good clipless pedal. There is also higher chance of your shoes getting caught up in those.

Really, majority of cyclists in the world use plain, flat pedals. The whole hoopla about "power when pulling" etc., is just that: "hoopla". Pedal retention may make sense for racers where every second counts, for track/fixed riders or MTB'ers who need to be able to bunny hop, but for riding a bike to work, running errands you really don't need any of that, it's just an unnecessary complication with no tangible benefits. Just stick to grippy flat pedals and you will be fine.
I really like toe clips because they secure my feet on the pedal and I don't have to worry about slipping off when I stand up to climb. I feel a little insecure when I'm riding platforms with no clips. But, that's just me and my wife thinks I'm crazy and hates toe clips.
Old 06-14-11, 09:25 PM
Titmawz

Bikes: Raleigh Record Ace, Windsor The Hour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My bike used to have track pedals with cages and I was not to fond of them =/ So I got platform pedals are I really enojy the fact that they do not hurt my feet =D
Old 06-14-11, 09:55 PM
mtalinm

Bikes: 2009 Trek Soho

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
as a commuter I bunny hop over Boston potholes several times a day

Originally Posted by AdamDZ View Post
Either use clipless pedals or just flat pedals without any straps. All those kinds of straps take longer to get you foot out than unclipping from a good clipless pedal. There is also higher chance of your shoes getting caught up in those.

Really, majority of cyclists in the world use plain, flat pedals. The whole hoopla about "power when pulling" etc., is just that: "hoopla". Pedal retention may make sense for racers where every second counts, for track/fixed riders or MTB'ers who need to be able to bunny hop, but for riding a bike to work, running errands you really don't need any of that, it's just an unnecessary complication with no tangible benefits. Just stick to grippy flat pedals and you will be fine.
Old 06-16-11, 02:24 PM
CJ C

Bikes: Wally World Huffy Cranbrook Cruiser (with siily wicker front basket)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all for the great tips, looks like i am just going to skip the straps and clips. and will revisit the aggressive studded pedals for the winter. i went to check out the bmx flat pedals suggested and it seemed like they would rip up my dress shoes.

but for fathersday i may talk wifey into buying me some keen bike sandals and use those for commuting year round and not worry about the soles being eaten.
Old 06-17-11, 06:31 PM
AntEater

Bikes: many

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mtalinm View Post
as a commuter I bunny hop over Boston potholes several times a day
Back in my younger days I used to be able to bunny hop about 3 ft. (vertical) on platform pedals (no retention) so don't let that hold you back.
Old 06-17-11, 07:14 PM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tjspiel View Post
I just got a new Nashbar catalog and they're selling a pedal called the soho that looks very similar:

I wouldn't be surprised if they came from the same factory. The SPD clipless pedals I had were also Nashbar branded but were an exact copy of Shimano pedals. A lot of Nashbar stuff is really good quality, just not as shiny and a bit heavier.

Now, these are the kind of pedals your feet would certainly slip from. I would not ride with something like that except maybe on a beach cruiser.

Originally Posted by Dean7 View Post
I really like toe clips because they secure my feet on the pedal and I don't have to worry about slipping off when I stand up to climb. I feel a little insecure when I'm riding platforms with no clips. But, that's just me and my wife thinks I'm crazy and hates toe clips.
Those large platform pedals with studs hold your feet like glue. In particular when standing up on the pedals. There is no chance of your feet slipping off the pedals.

Originally Posted by akohekohe View Post
I use these on my Surly Big Dummy. I like the adjustable pins and the large platform. They are a bit pricey with an MSRP of $109 but you can find them for less. You can even use them without shoes if you remove the pins.
Nice! I like those! A bit expensive yeah, but I bet they're very light.
Old 06-17-11, 07:28 PM
jr59

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I use the Crank Brothers 50/50 pedals.

I like the wide platform and the little pins!