Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Strava?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-12, 04:43 PM
clemsongirl 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked 2,759 Times in 907 Posts
Strava?

This seems like it might be addictive and maybe a good motivator. Anyone finding it that way? Is the full version plan and extra metrics worth it? Are the terrain and climbing figures accurate? Anyone using it for runs?
Old 12-07-12, 07:32 AM
DataJunkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It is fun and a decent motivator, I suppose. I tend to be highly motivated so it really doesn't help me in that regard. I am cheap and only use the base features. Terrain and climbing are as accurate as your gps IMHO. I use it for runs but I only run once a week and I am slooowwww.
Honestly, it is a piss poor substitute for racing but it is amusing if you do not get carried away. I think I have had 5 KOMS and currently hold none but this does not concern me. What does is getting dropped on club training rides and race performance. It is just another tool.
Old 12-07-12, 07:32 AM
ks1g
Because I thought I could

Bikes: November, Trek OCLV, Bianchi Castro Valley commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Addicitive: Yes. Motivator: Maybe (I'm going to TRASH that guy who took away my "KOM" on *MY* mid-commute overpass segment!). OTOH, you look at your standing (132nd) and time and wonder "what planet are these people from?" Strava may promote fatal-levels of idiocy in obsessive Type A's pursuing "KOM" on segments that include long and steep descents, 4-way intersections, or both. Also stalking (who is this person in Wisconsin who keeps giving me kudos for my recovery rides?). Full version & metrics: Maybe. Strav's interface & GPS upload is easier and less obnoxious than the system the MapMy<whatever> folks use. Terrain/climbing: Probably close enough but only as good as their topo source and GPS errors will allow. As long as it is consistent (did I really fly up that hill this time or was I imagining it?), who cares! Running: Yes. Strava also has switch settings for commutes and seems pretty good at detecting trainer "rides". Try the free service for a few weeks and if you find it useful or at least entertaining, upgrade.
Old 12-08-12, 11:52 PM
clemsongirl 

Thanks for the replies!

It took me awhile to figure out the iphone apps but I did a run last night and a ride today using some segments for speed and elevation repeats. I also found a new riding route. I’m not into the KOM part but I can see the motivation and training aspect of using comparisons and finding progressively harder routes.

If I continue to like using Strava I may buy a Garmin Forerunner with a heart rate monitor and the Strava premium upgrade to use for cycling, running and hiking with Trimble Outdoors. Do either of you have a Forerunner and if so how about reliability?
Old 12-09-12, 04:44 AM
Lew.

Bikes: Tarmac/LangsterPro/Epic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I personally don't use Strava for anything except bragging rights on the KOM's and to see avg. speeds afterwards (I'm so cheap I haven't got a bike computer for speeds). Just Friday night, I decided to go off route just because my mate had posted a KOM on FaceBook. The extra 6 miles was worth it
If KOM's don't interest you, and you're considering buying a GPS device.. I wouldn't bother with Strava and would just use the GPS device and use their websites/computer programs to look at post-ride.
Old 12-09-12, 05:37 AM
clemsongirl 

I do see value in looking at what others are doing and using that for motivation. I guess I'm just not the "obsessive A type" ks1g writes about
Old 12-09-12, 06:04 AM
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I stopped uploading to Garmin Connect in favor of Strava several months ago because it has several features I like, especially the Suffer Score and social dimensions, including the ability to search for rides. You need the premium membership for some of this. I also like being able to know if I have beat my PR for a certain sector or climb, but KOM status is just a fun amusement. (Who is this Chunksalot McFee anyway?)

Strava isn't a refined training tool for the hardcore racer, but more of a social media kind of thing. It's fun and I like it.
Old 12-09-12, 09:32 AM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Climbing figures are never very accurate compared to a barometric altimeter.

I don't use it, I think it's weird to compete asynchronously, since conditions play such a huge role, and I don't want the chicks I race against to see how I'm training.

A lot of people love it and are addicted, though.
Old 12-09-12, 10:23 AM
clemsongirl 

Originally Posted by valygrl
Climbing figures are never very accurate compared to a barometric altimeter.

I don't use it, I think it's weird to compete asynchronously, since conditions play such a huge role, and I don't want the chicks I race against to see how I'm training.

A lot of people love it and are addicted, though.
I don’t race. Most of my riding is done alone now and just for the exercise and sometimes stress relief. I’d rather ride or run instead of going to a gym. I do ride with a couple of good friends on longer rides when we can arrange a few vacation days together. That's something I always look forward to!

I guess I’m just looking for something interesting to help broaden the experience and help me feel more competitive because of the difficulty in arranging the time to ride with a group or race now. If I keep at it I will at least be ready if in the future my schedule permits things like group riding or racing. If nothing else I'm keeping fit. I'm envious of your ability to have the time to race!

Last edited by clemsongirl; 12-09-12 at 10:42 AM.
Old 12-09-12, 02:37 PM
DataJunkie

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I was assuming that the climbing numbers are pulled from the gps device. Then again I have no clue as I never pay attention to climbing numbers.
I follow many of my teammates and I have no idea regarding their training plans. The summary isn't detailed enough to get that for me. Now if they shared their garmin connect files....
I also hide much of the fluff but I seem to have forgotten to do so lately.
Racing really isn't that time consuming for me compared to long distance riding and excessively long distance commuting. I can hit a team ride and be back in a few hours after doing a fair distance. Racing is likewise unless I want to hang out at the race.
Old 12-11-12, 07:29 AM
browndogss

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
me too, I follow many of my teammates and I have no idea regarding their training plans.thanks
Old 12-12-12, 04:15 AM
hillcrawler

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can strava know if you are on a bicycle or motorbike? I guess no. So how can you depend on the KOM results?
Old 12-12-12, 07:47 AM
Lew.

Bikes: Tarmac/LangsterPro/Epic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hillcrawler
Can strava know if you are on a bicycle or motorbike? I guess no. So how can you depend on the KOM results?
Generally, users also use heart rate monitors and/or bike computers in addition to the GPS system. If someone has posted a KOM with a device other/aswell as just an iPhone etc. I've yet to come across a KOM where I've thought it wasn't done on a bike.
Users saying they don't want people to know about their training, if someone can determine your training etc. from these files, they deserve to win. You can make posts 'private' so you can keep an archive of your rides/training without letting anybody in on your training.
Old 12-12-12, 03:25 PM
DataJunkie

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It's a valid concern. Valygrl is much better at holding her cards close to her chest while I seem to wave mine around facing my competitors.
Anyhow, you can flag rides you find suspect and I believe strava reviews them. That being said nothing compares to actual competition. This is just a way to amuse yourself. Some seem to take it waayyyyy too far.
Old 12-12-12, 03:40 PM
ChrisM2097

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Rockhopper Disc; Trek 7.5 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It used to be a good motivator. Now I simply use it to track my miles, elevation gain, and follow my friend's rides. Lately I haven' been trying to set personal records and such. And with so much 'competition' around here, there's no chance at all of me getting a KOM on any segment.
Old 12-13-12, 05:42 PM
clones2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Strava is AWESOME for motivation and training by yourself. I use it for running as well...but mainly just tracking miles and time. The cycling segments are my favorite. I have a few of my own loops that I like to keep track of my times on... and I love timing myself when you ride the same hills or climbs all the time. It gives you a reason to head out to new roads a lot of the time to ride segments and compare yourself to others as well. The pay version and extra metrics don't quite seem worth it...unless you had a power meter perhaps...

You seem kind of new to the mobile apps thing... the other one i really like is Endomondo...I run that at the same time for my workouts and love it because it has audio feedback, so every mile it will give you your split time, and tell you how far you've gone.

Probably best to only use one ear phone as I do, as you are riding on the roads...
Old 12-14-12, 01:00 AM
hillcrawler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by clones2

You seem kind of new to the mobile apps thing... the other one i really like is Endomondo...I run that at the same time for my workouts and love it because it has audio feedback, so every mile it will give you your split time, and tell you how far you've gone.
Are you able to run both application in the same time?
Old 12-14-12, 01:31 AM
clemsongirl 

Strava is AWESOME for motivation and training by yourself. I use it for running as well...but mainly just tracking miles and time. The cycling segments are my favorite. I have a few of my own loops that I like to keep track of my times on... and I love timing myself when you ride the same hills or climbs all the time. It gives you a reason to head out to new roads a lot of the time to ride segments and compare yourself to others as well. The pay version and extra metrics don't quite seem worth it...unless you had a power meter perhaps...

Probably best to only use one ear phone as I do, as you are riding on the roads...
Thanks! I'll look into Endomondo for running too
Old 12-14-12, 07:06 AM
clones2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hillcrawler
Are you able to run both application in the same time?
Yep - I always run 2 GPS tracking apps when I run and cycle. Both track great and I've never had an issue.
Old 12-14-12, 07:17 AM
hillcrawler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep - I always run 2 GPS tracking apps when I run and cycle. Both track great and I've never had an issue.
Well.. You know these apps drains battery and two of them should suck the life out of your battery much more faster. I think you don't track much long sesions.