Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Upright Handlebar Recommendations

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Upright Handlebar Recommendations

Old 03-16-13, 08:00 PM
jcmkk3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A couple of different offerings would be the Jeff Jones H-Bars and the Groovy Cycle Works Luv Handles.
Old 03-17-13, 10:46 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Byron,Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Take a look at Rivendell's new Bosco Bars (God only knows where Petersen gets the names he uses) I put them one one bike, and have replaced the drops on my touring bike with them. They have a lot more useful positions than the Trekking bars, and have a fairly good "aero" position to boot. They come in three versions, the alloy shown below, a narrower cro-mo version and a bull-moose cro-mo with a built in stem.

Marc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2227.JPG (17.9 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_0245.JPG (31.6 KB, 184 views)
Old 03-17-13, 01:13 PM
Medic Zero

Bikes: Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jcmkk3 View Post
A couple of different offerings would be the Jeff Jones H-Bars and the Groovy Cycle Works Luv Handles.
I'm intrigued by the Jones bars, but I worry about using rapid-fire shifters much less the plethora of accessories I always have mounted on my rigs. I think their "J" bar addresses this somewhat, but I'm still concerned about it. If they were a LOT less expensive, I'd be willing to try them out, but they are so costly I'd really hate to have them not work out.

Now I'm going to have to peruse the threads about them again, and eye all the pictures I've collected of peoples set-ups with them...
Old 04-13-13, 08:56 PM
GojiSube

Bikes: Trek 7.5FX; Novara Safari

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Courtesy of this thread, I just recently put FSA Metropolis bars on my Trek 7.5. Having a much more upright riding position is what I was looking for and I absolutely love these bars. My hands are now in a more natural riding position for me which has made riding that much more fun. Two big thumbs up for FSA Metropolis bars.
Old 04-14-13, 01:10 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by GojiSube View Post
Courtesy of this thread, I just recently put FSA Metropolis bars on my Trek 7.5. Having a much more upright riding position is what I was looking for and I absolutely love these bars. My hands are now in a more natural riding position for me which has made riding that much more fun. Two big thumbs up for FSA Metropolis bars.
Awesome, gotta get some for my wife's bike.
Old 04-15-13, 02:20 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,277 Times in 798 Posts
For the Carbon Fiber aero bar crowd there are external clamping Bar end shifters,
to adopt for the thick tube wall for safety aluminum Bars..

Nitto Chromoly Albatross bars are thinwall steel, so will take Bar end shifters..

Thicker wall Alloy Bars are able to be Milled out far enough in the ends, but that is an extra manufacturing step
so I would not expect them to come as such without highlighting the added feature..