Search
Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Tennessee - Roll Call!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-13, 03:09 PM
Catonabike

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi I just joined up!
I live in music city tn area.
Myself and my daughter ride group rides in the middle tn area on our more modern bikes but you can catch on steel and vintage on the fun rides. We go to tour de fat every year and visit cycling clubs to ride with them whenever we can.
I like to restore and resell vintage bikes. It is mainly a self supporting hobby for me as I am always wanting to buy more 'cycling stuff' well you know..
I ride a scott but just got a carbon giant my newest project as I wanted to upgrade from aluminum frame to carbon and I already had a decent group.
See you all at some of the rides. Probably have seen some of you already.
We rode in Clarksville in 5 rides last year alone.
Hope to share info and news of upcoming rides. See ya.
Old 01-17-13, 02:18 PM
Anonomous

Bikes: Two wheelers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey

Knoxville Checking in!

Wife and I are here in the OLDCITY.
Ride all over/ LC321 from Eaton's to the Dam / Cades Cove Early Laps / Greenways / 3rivers for food/ ride to tyson to skate/ All over downtown for beer.

Cannondale CX
Univega Nuovo Sport ss for the Beer/Grocerys/ Crusing/ Commuting / Hauling
StateBicycle Co Fixie (x2 one for me one for the wife )
89 Schwinn World Sport Wifes Road Shredder
73 Schwinn Collegiate Wifes Cruiser (still in project form)
89 Raleigh Technium MTB (soon to be a drop bar)

Hit me up! Looking to do more fun rides in 2013

also

Anyone interested in trying to get a Critical Mass Started Back up?
First Fridays?

Last edited by Anonomous; 01-18-13 at 10:05 AM.
Old 04-30-13, 09:21 AM
tn_roadie

Bikes: Rivendell Ram, Surly LHT, Trek E-bike

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
If you're in the Nashville area check out the calendar for Bike Month

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/2181754

and consider riding the Tour de Nash the only urban ride in Middle Tennessee.

https://www.nashvillebikemonth.com/content/tour-de-nash
Old 05-04-13, 05:40 PM
boatrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Checking in from Sevierville- moved here 3 months ago- looking to start some sort of bike group in E TN- any thoughts?
Old 05-05-13, 09:30 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by Anonomous
Hey

Knoxville Checking in!

Wife and I are here in the OLDCITY.
Ride all over/ LC321 from Eaton's to the Dam / Cades Cove Early Laps / Greenways / 3rivers for food/ ride to tyson to skate/ All over downtown for beer.

Cannondale CX
Univega Nuovo Sport ss for the Beer/Grocerys/ Crusing/ Commuting / Hauling
StateBicycle Co Fixie (x2 one for me one for the wife )
89 Schwinn World Sport Wifes Road Shredder
73 Schwinn Collegiate Wifes Cruiser (still in project form)
89 Raleigh Technium MTB (soon to be a drop bar)

Hit me up! Looking to do more fun rides in 2013

also

Anyone interested in trying to get a Critical Mass Started Back up?
First Fridays?
Another Knoxville here! My wife and I live in the Bearden area currently. We love having the 3rd creek greenway just minutes away.
I'd love to know what some of those other routes you mentioned are - what's LC321, and 3rivers? We've hit almost all the greenways, and have thought about Cades Cove.
Old 06-08-13, 07:50 PM
Steve530

Bikes: Klein

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by the sci guy
Another Knoxville here! My wife and I live in the Bearden area currently. We love having the 3rd creek greenway just minutes away.
I'd love to know what some of those other routes you mentioned are - what's LC321, and 3rivers? We've hit almost all the greenways, and have thought about Cades Cove.
Eatons Crossroads is the place in Lenoir City where US 321/TN95/TN73 crosses US70/Kingston Pike. So he's riding from Lenoir City to Tellico Dam on US 321. A lot of people park at the Fireworks Superstore at Watt Rd. and ride down Hickory Creek Road to Eatons Crossroads, then down Hines Valley Road to Carter Chapel Road cross Kingston Pike to Paw Paw Plains Road and back on TN95 to Eatons Crossroads and back up Hickory Creek Road to the FWSS. There are other variations of this route.

3rivers is the 3 Rivers market on Central Ave.
Old 07-15-13, 07:30 PM
idratherbebiking_2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Chattanooga bound

I'll be moving to Chattanooga, TN in a few days. 26, living close to downtown. I'm mostly a commuter/grocery getter/practical rider, and do friendly long bike rides on the weekends--30 miles usually; although I haven't had to deal much with hills in the past (Midwest)--with dreams of doing some camping trips (anyone interested?). Not sure how my commuting habits will change due to the bikeability of Chattanooga and the heat (ahh!!!).

I have a mountain bike too, although, I'm probably not as experienced as one would need for the trails around Chattanooga and the mountains. But i'll be taking her out soon after i get ride ready!

If anyone knows some cool, fun, solid rides and you would like to show me around, I would love to join you.

1987 Schwinn Voyageur
1998 (?) Gary Fisher Tassajara

-Kevin
Old 09-23-13, 10:18 AM
WebFootFreak

Bikes: Modified Denali

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 17 Posts
Memphis area checking in... well East AR to be exact, but I work in Memphis.

I wouldnt mind meeting up for rides, but I am not up for any sort of distance yet. I pulled a relatively flat 8.8 on Friday (in the rain) and I was a zombie for the rest of the day (rather ticked the wife off), then as a bonus, I got sick on the end of that. I'm going to stick to 5-6 mile runs for the next few weeks until I get my stamina up
Old 09-23-13, 10:36 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I hear some folks in Germantown do a little shorty-short ride at one of their parks, Cameron Brown park I think.
Old 10-29-13, 08:14 PM
Doc V

Bikes: Novara Trenta Road, Trek ZX6000 MTB

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brentwood checking in. I took the plunge in to road cycling about 3 months ago after my boss got me interested in spin classes in February. I ride a Novara Trenta, which I was able to pick up for $950 and at that price I could not resist the Ultegra/105 components.
Old 11-01-13, 08:14 PM
BobbinNSprocket

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just noticed this thread! I'm in Johnson City. I ride mainly for commuting, but have recently acquired my first road bike and am becoming addicted to long distance rides. xD My bikes thus far: 2011 Pashley Princess Sovereign, 1973 Fuji Dynamic 10 (mixte) 1971 Motobecane Le Champion, 1983 Nishiki Olympic 12 and my newest crush, my 2005 Bianchi Imola.
Old 11-15-13, 07:48 AM
crtbike

Bikes: New bike: TREK 8.2 Dusl Sport, Old Bike: Huffy Mountain Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, good to see a Memphian on here. Just started riding about a month ago. We try to go riding every day. If it is too cold in the morning, we will go riding in the afternoon. We ride on the Greenline and Greenways (Wolf River and Germantown). I can't wait until they get the Hampline (Tillman to Broad Ave then to Overton Park), I just love riding.
Old 11-15-13, 08:15 AM
crtbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[h=3]crtbikeNew Member[/h]Location:Memphis Tenness
Hello,

I am new to cycling, I have had a bike for about 10 years, but haven't ridden regularly..

A friend and I was walking daily and he kept asking if I have ever considered biking. I said I have been thinking about, but I first have to get a bike rack. I kept on thinking about and I finally bought a bike rack the first week of October. We rode a couple of days before my trip to South Africa and sorta got hooked. Before leaving for South Africa I book a Table Mountain Bike tour. I thought I could do that, it sounded fun. Well off to South Africa, then the day came for the Bike Tour came. I thought that is was just riding around on the mountains roads. That is how the internet made the tour sound. Man, was I wrong! It was down the gravel trails with rocks down the mountain. I just prayed to God that I would make it safely to the bottom, and I would never do that again if he let me live. Well I made it, some riding down, walking down with some. Well made it to the bottom of the mountain. I was relieved. It was fun riding the bikes back to the central bike tour office going down hills on the street. I felt like I was back in my childhood.

Well, now I ride the 'Greenline' daily in Memhis Tennessee which is an old discountinued rail line. They only have about 6.7 miles completed, so a round trip is about 14 miles. The link is https://www.traillink.com/trail/shelb...greenline.aspx

I feel guility when I do not go for a bike ride. If I can't ride in the morning, I will go for an afternoon ride,

I love the cycling app for my Iphone called MapMyBikeRide and the link is https://www.mapmyride.com/

I have signed up for the second annual 'Cranksgiving' fun ride.

Happy Cycling....RIchard
Old 11-15-13, 01:16 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Wait, are you Richard, or did someone named Richard send that to you?

I am doing Cranksgiving also (did it last year, too). The fun ride is also doubling as Cycle Memphis's November ride. CM usually rides the first Saturday of the month starting at the corner of Cooper & Young in Midtown.

https://www.facebook.com/cyclememphis

I also try to roll with the Breakaway Running Cycling Group on Sunday afternoons. They usually do a slower-paced ride cuz I'm slow

https://www.facebook.com/groups/357459874359213/
Old 11-18-13, 07:44 AM
crtbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Patrick,

My name is Richard. I live in East Memphis. I am looking forward to the Cranksgiving fun ride. My friends and I ride the Greenline (Farm Road to Tillman and then usually ride to Republic Coffee Shop) every day and sometimes I ride the Greenway as well. I have only been cycling for about a month and I am hooked on it.

The sunday afternoon ride sounds fun. How far do they usually ride?

Yesterday was just a perfect day to ride, but I was not able to get out and ride because I was doing things with family.

Thanks for the two links that you put in the post. I will check them out.

I would like to meet you at the Cranksgiving ride.

Thanks.....Richard
Old 11-18-13, 09:29 AM
PatrickGSR94

Every day? Dang man I wish I had that kind of time.

Yesterday was nice but IMHO way too warm and humid for November. Plus the wind was killer. I actually didn't ride at all this weekend and napped for 3 hours yesterday afternoon.
Old 11-19-13, 11:55 AM
crtbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Patrick,

Yes I am able to ride with my friends every day because I took the buyout from FedEx in May. I retired from FedEx, but am going to look for another job soon and start working on another retirement since I am not able to draw SS yet.

Just got back form the greenline this morning. It was breezy. I like riding the greenline but the last mile on the way back always seems a little tougher because it is uphill and when the wind is blowing that does not help. When you ride, do you ride the greenline? I can not wait until they get the Hampline completed from Tillman to Overton Park.

I am looking forward to riding in the Cranksgiving fun ride. How fast of pace do their ride in that fun run?
Old 11-19-13, 12:08 PM
PatrickGSR94

Oh it's real slow, like 10 MPH. The guy who will be leading, who also leads the Cycle Memphis rides, hauls a big speaker behind his bike so we have music along for the ride.

Look for me on my black Felt road bike, probably with some kind of high-vis yellow jersey or jacket on.
Old 11-19-13, 04:26 PM
crtbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. I am looking forward to this ride. I was wondering how fast it would be. I am enjoying riding my bike. It is more fun when you have someone to ride with instead of riding alone.

I will be riding a Green "Huffy" Bike with a blue North Face Jacket on.

I would like to buy a new bike, but that bike is still in good condition. I bought it about 10 or so years ago, and never rode it. It has been in my garage.

Hope to see you on Saturday.....Richard
Old 11-20-13, 11:47 AM
WebFootFreak

I'm kind of ticked I didn't see this earlier... Unfortunately, we have a lot to do this Saturday (and I couldn't talk the wife into it on such short notice)...

BTW I've never ridden any of the 'lines in Memphis. All my riding right now is on the highways and service roads on my side of the river.
Old 11-20-13, 12:49 PM
crtbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am looking forward to the day when they have the Harahan Bridge project done. I think it will be neat to say that I rode my bike from Tennessee to Arkansas.

You should come to Memphis sometimes and ride the Greenline and the Greenways. The Greenline is 6.7 miles one way and the entire Greeenway is about 8 miles. In fact, we just got done riding the Greenline out and back which is a total of 13.4 miles.
Old 11-20-13, 02:29 PM
WebFootFreak

I'm waiting on Hanaran as well so I can bike to work (airport) from time to time. When do y'all ride the greenline? *chuckle* With 4 kiddos, I need to plan any unusual rides.

Oh yeah... funny thing about the Hanaran project? The AR side will go thru the flood plain, so we will see how long this side of it lasts...
Old 11-20-13, 05:54 PM
crtbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool. I hope that they do a great job on the Harahan project.

We ride the greenline every morning. If it is too cold we wait until the afternoon.

Hopefully they will take that into consideration when they are working on the Harahan project.

I have only been riding for about 1 1/2 months and I am hooked.....Richard
Old 11-21-13, 08:44 AM
PatrickGSR94

You can ride to Arkansas now, I've done it. If you go down by the Metal Museum by the parking area (Crump Park), you can climb a grass hill up to one end of the I-55 bridge (south side). It has sidewalks on both sides. It can be a little bit hairy riding on a 5-ft. sidewalk with trucks passing at 70 MPH and a 100-ft drop down to the water. But it is possible. Once you're on the Arkansas side you can also cross underneath the bridge and go back on the north side of the bridge if you want to, and then take the ramp back down underneath where you'll end up by the Metal Museum parking lot again.

Not nearly as nice as the Harahan project will be once completed, of course, but it's still possible.

https://goo.gl/maps/s0UcX

Last edited by PatrickGSR94; 11-21-13 at 08:53 AM.
Old 11-21-13, 09:06 AM
WebFootFreak

This is true... but the messed up part for me (and any other bikers that happen to be on this side) is getting to the bridge. According to MRT, the trail is supposed to connect from where Broadway swings under I-55, to the service road behind the NB scales. I've tried twice to find a connector and haven't managed it yet, but I'm going to do a bit more exploring this evening on the way home from work. It's a rat's nest of dirt roads down there. Once you manage to get on the service road, you head around to Bridgeport Rd and you have the choice of going up and on the shoulder of I-55 or, heading a bit further (farther?) down the service road and walk up the grass hill to get to the bridge... I'd love to be able to leave the house, bike to the Riverside Trail in Memphis, enjoy the view and head home.

crtbike: If you don't mind me crashing the party every so often, can you give me times when you're there? I work from 0800-1630 down by the airport, so I'd have to hit 240 on the east side to get to Walnut Grove...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.