Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Between Events

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Between Events

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-13, 12:19 PM
Kotts
Recreational Commuter

Bikes: One brand-less build-up, and a Connondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra Disc. A nicer bike than I need, but it was a good deal, so... ;-)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Between Events

I have a fairly hilly Century MS ride later this month, followed by a two-day MS 150 two weeks later. I'm fit enough for either ride, but it's been a long time since I've done two rides this long so close together. (I'm 54, and the last time I was 17. I don't recover like i used to.)

I'm looking for ideas and recommendations regarding training and nutrition between the events.

My plan is to take a couple of days completely off after the Century, then do limited weight training and moderate cardio during the first week, and light-to moderate cardio the second week. Pretty much my regular diet except for some carb loading before each event.

Sane? Crazy? Too cautious?

Kotts
Old 07-01-13, 12:29 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm four years older than you, and I have no problem with back-to-back centuries as long as I'm not trying to break any speed records.

Two weeks is an age. Aside from taking it easy for a couple of days after the first event, and not going too hard for a couple of daysbefore the second one, I wouldn't be doing anything different from usual.
Old 07-01-13, 03:03 PM
Kotts
Recreational Commuter

Bikes: One brand-less build-up, and a Connondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra Disc. A nicer bike than I need, but it was a good deal, so... ;-)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54
I'm four years older than you, and I have no problem with back-to-back centuries as long as I'm not trying to break any speed records.

Two weeks is an age. Aside from taking it easy for a couple of days after the first event, and not going too hard for a couple of daysbefore the second one, I wouldn't be doing anything different from usual.
So, you're saying that I'm probably over-thinking it. Yeah, I tend to do that...
Old 07-09-13, 09:00 AM
ks1g
Because I thought I could

Bikes: November, Trek OCLV, Bianchi Castro Valley commuter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Agree with Kotts. Listen to your body and don't change anything significantly, unless the 1st ride exposes some major issues with equipment, nutrition, hydration,...

Data point/anecdote: Last year I rode 4 centuries (hilly, really hilly, not as hilly, FLAT) at approx 2 week intervals. I was 57 then. I took it easy for a couple of days after each one, then resumed regular riding and didn't obsess on training, just consistent riding (commuting 25 miles r/t several days/week helps) and listening to my body if I needed a day off. A lot of the recovery & prep is mental - on the last climb of #3 , I was thinking I was extremly done with hills (also with getting caught in severe t-storms on the 1st 2!) and ready for the upcoming flat ride.

I ride with a power meter, and looking at data from the 4 rides, I had a decline in performance over the 4 rides, especially on the 3rd one. I felt strongest on the 2nd (the really hilly one), which was also the one I wanted to do really well in. Although actual best power numbers were on #1 . Go figure. I bounced back by #4 , and was able to set a new PR for 100 miles (flat terrain, a tail wind for a key segment, and some pace lines helped a lot). But then I took a lot of October off the bike - I was a bit mentaly burned out.

This year, I have 3 planned (the hilly one, the not as hilly, and the flat one; timing was bad for the really hilly and it sold out really quickly), I may do a 50 miler the local bike shop is sponsoring that is entirely on a rail-trail (easy grades).