Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Are You Ready To Really Hate Me? (Bicycle Light Thread Continued)

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Are You Ready To Really Hate Me? (Bicycle Light Thread Continued)

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-13, 05:52 AM
jolly_ross

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gordon's alive ?!
Old 10-23-13, 06:32 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
LED flashlights are a great option, particularly if you don't want to spend a lot of money. Batteries should not be an issue if you use rechargeables. One simple recommendation for rechargeable AA batteries -- Enloops. I have commuted for the past 6 years using a Fenix AA flashlight. Used it as my primary handlebar light for two years, and then moved it to my helmet after I bought a more powerful self-contained LED handlebar light (L&M Urban 500).
Old 10-23-13, 07:37 AM
robert schlatte

Bikes: Soma Saga, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, New Albion Privateer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I am a late arrival here although I did see the other post about the frustration in finding the right light. For me the absolutely most dependable lighting system is a dynamo hub which can power head light as well as tail light and other electronic devices. It has always made sense to me that as long as pedalling is providing forward movement that pedalling can do double duty of producing electricity. There is an initial expense but not as much as one might think. My total cost with hub, wheel build, and lights was around $250.- You don't have to get an expensive SON. Shimano make a very good hub for a lot less $$$.

If you are going to be using your bike for a long time, the investment is minimal. I figure since I don't use a car I can certainly afford to spend the money for an excellent lighting system. So when the $5 flashlight wears out-which it inevitably will- go the dynamo hub route and you will not have to think about it anymore.
Old 10-23-13, 07:45 AM
Jewel
Live Beautifully

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Sirrus, 2013 Yuba Boda Boda Sport

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HydroG33r
Also, need to figure out how to quote multiple posts in one reply. What do the numbers after the quoted poster's handle and the ; mean?
See this post to do multiple quotes (you can find other how to's in on the main forums page, if you scroll down to "Forum Suggestions & User Assistance" near the bottom.

The "numbers after the poster's handle" is individual to that poster, so has personal meaning to him/her. Like yours, for example has a 33r.

The ; can either be part of a hand-typed emoticon that is a "wink" or if you're referring to DX's posting, it's being used as a semicolon (two similar sentences can be separated by a semicolon instead of a period... a grammar thing).
Old 10-23-13, 08:06 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
You may all very well be right! However, one very important thing I have already learned from this experience is that LEDs and halogens are two totally different animals, and that ANY decent LED bike light I might end up buying is going to be far and away better than what I've been using.
If you like the one you are now using, at that price you could afford to buy another as a spare. Not much outlay of cash and if you carry the spare that pretty much covers the worst case scenario of the light failing on a ride. Especially if you carry the spare with batteries in it. The only problems left are alkalines don't work in very cold weather. I think you said you don't commute in the cold? The last thing is the price of buying alkalines with a short burn time. As mentioned, you can get a charger and rechargeables for maybe $30. Rechargeables will take hundreds of cycles, and they work better in the cold. If you use the light every day eventually you'll get sick of buying alkalines. Still not an expensive solution. I would say that for now you have a good solution.
Old 10-23-13, 10:13 AM
droy45
tougher than a boiled owl

Bikes: Fetish Cycles Fixation / Fuji S12S / Gary Fisher MTB / Raleigh Grand Prix / Ross Professional / Kent comfort cruiser

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Even though its a cheap light, it sounds like it throws quite an impressive beam. All lights are (eventually) disposable. The better the quality, the longer it will last as far as durability, performance and battery lifespan expectancy. At that price, you can't go wrong especially if your commute is short and your total darkness trips are few. For some of us, our safety depends on the light as we go out in total darkness, (rural roads) several miles in distance, for a few hours at a time, and a light failure is no option at any cost. That is why some people select the higher quality lights and demand a lot from them. I believe that should be a good light for yourself and someone needs to be the lab tester anyway . Let us know how it works out as time goes on.
Old 10-23-13, 10:30 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by acidfast7
not interested in anything that isn't measured in Lux as it shows that the engineers have no idea what to do with a bicycle light.
Lux is more useful but without stipulating the distance from the light source, lux has less meaning than lumen output. Lumens at least give you some comparison value. Lumens can also be calculated based on the output of the light source. Lux has to be measured and, since the light isn't uniform across the beam, will vary depending on where you measure it.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-23-13, 01:52 PM
enigmaT120

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by acidfast7
not interested in anything that isn't measured in Lux as it shows that the engineers have no idea what to do with a bicycle light.
That was the origin of my complaint in that other light thread, whereupon you gave me the link to a bunch of information about bike lights. Thanks for the link, though I'll not likely see any of those lights in stores around here. That guy did more testing than Peter White. Here they boast about lumins, and very few mention lux. All we can do is assume that more is better.

My LED generator hub light set was expensive but works well and I don't really think it's disposable.
Old 10-23-13, 02:45 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Laws of physics. That says it right there. Even the o.p. cannot be so daft as to think 3 AAA batteries can compare to a four 18650 Li-Ion batteries... can he? If yes, who are we? Let him go on deluded and think that his 32 LED wonder is outperforming MagicShines and Dinottes and what harm is there? Its not as if he is actually riding where he NEEDS useful amounts to see by... for those of us/you who is... ... $4.99 isn't a lot to explore proof of concept. Take your new 32 cell wonder out on a suburban freeway shoulder for a typical ~8 mi. night commute home. Ah yes, those long shadows from the oncoming high beams (actually low beams from pickups lifted so high their headlights are level with the head of a seated cyclist...) and the interesting problem of how to accurately judge the abrupt transition between paved road surface and soft shoulder when you are riding to the right of the fog stripe(!).... ... four pages... ... I don't think so. When your broken collar-bone heals there are any number of worthy lights out there.

H
Old 10-23-13, 03:32 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by the sci guy
pics or gtfo
Old 10-23-13, 05:20 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
>>>When your broken collar-bone heals there are any number of worthy lights out there.<<<<

Chill out, dude! I've been doing this a long time and I've made it clear this is an experiment!

My experience, so far, has been that the cheap crap I buy in the department stores always seems to surprise me. The $25 Schwinn rack trunk/pannier I purchased after buying and returning Ortliebs and all kinds of other bags is working incredibly well, as much as I WANT it to fall apart. And the $4 X-Mart inner tubes I use NEVER seem to catch a flat. And, oh, did I tell you the bike that has carried me over literally thousands of miles of pavement, gravel, and dirt is a $300 GT Outpost from 1996? And what about the $1.99 brake and derailleur cables I've been using for almost twenty years?

Anyway, as I said earlier, we'll see what happens with this light. You may very well be 100% correct that it will be in the garbage in two or three weeks. I really only purchased it to see what 32 LEDs look like. But if it serves my purpose and doesn't blow through batteries, I'm gonna keep it and I'm gonna do the happy dance all over this place!
Old 10-23-13, 05:39 PM
87gerG

Bikes: Origami Cricket. Trek.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I believe this is the light the op got from HF.

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-3-4-q...ght-98504.html

Will be interested to hear how it works out.
Old 10-23-13, 06:48 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
That's the light. And did you check out the glowing reviews? The only negative thing I saw posted (and I think it was only one of several users) was an opinion that the batteries wouldn't last long. However, anyone who commented on battery life after actually using the light had good things to say.
Old 10-23-13, 06:49 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by enigmaT120
That was the origin of my complaint in that other light thread, whereupon you gave me the link to a bunch of information about bike lights. Thanks for the link, though I'll not likely see any of those lights in stores around here. That guy did more testing than Peter White. Here they boast about lumins, and very few mention lux. All we can do is assume that more is better.

My LED generator hub light set was expensive but works well and I don't really think it's disposable.
Lux is but one measurement and it doesn't tell you all there is to know about the light. As I stated above, it is a meaningless number without knowing how far from the front of the lamp the lux is measured. Lux is more of a measure of the optics of the lamp than the output. For example, you could have a spot light style lamp that would have a high lux at a given distance while you could also have a wide angle lamp that would have the same output but it would be a low lux lamp.

By the same token, lumens doesn't tell you much about the optics of the lamp. Both measurements need to be used but the lux measurement is more difficult to obtain.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-23-13, 07:03 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I'm a bit concerned that it's just splashing light all over worse than normal lights. Lights like that tend to just vomit out light, blinding anyone on the pointy end.
Old 10-23-13, 07:21 PM
kingsqueak

Bikes: Surly Ogre // (old and gone) Cannondale ST400, Rockhopper Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That light is crap, just try scuba diving with that one or clubbing a mountain lion with it and see who has the last laugh.
I'm sure it will be lousy in an earthquake as well. You should sell that one for $20 and find at least a 33 LED model to be truly safe.

Now if you had a 35x Cree with the submariner and weaponizer option, you might make it home alive.
Old 10-23-13, 08:09 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
check out the glowing reviews?
punny
Old 10-23-13, 09:37 PM
SnowJob
Dirt junkie.

Bikes: Surly Ice Cream Truck, Peacock Groove road bikem, Salsa Fargo

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by megalowmatt
Just get the CREE from Amazon
+1

Best bang for the buck. Have had mine for a couple of years and it's the best light I've ever owned.
Old 10-24-13, 10:50 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by no1mad
Do me a favor OP- put that Nite Rider 10w back on the bars. I wouldn't trust my safety to a) just one light or b) a really cheap light like that.

Use your new one as the primary if you want, but the road vibrations may cause it to fail sooner or later (probably sooner) and you'll be glad you have your old light right there with you if you need it.
This is more great advice. But congratulations to the OP for taking the next step and finding out what you've been missing for so long. And how little it cost.
Old 10-24-13, 11:29 AM
HydroG33r 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jewel
See this post to do multiple quotes (you can find other how to's in on the main forums page, if you scroll down to "Forum Suggestions & User Assistance" near the bottom.
Thanks for this; the post you linked to described a brute force method, but it'll work. I was just hoping for something more sophisticated (per my follow-up questions).

The "numbers after the poster's handle" is individual to that poster, so has personal meaning to him/her. Like yours, for example has a 33r.
Actually... no. 33r is part of my handle (I know this because I made up my handle), but not everybody has numbers in their handle. I'm talking about the numbers that appears in the QUOTE script when I quote somebody. When I "Reply With Quote" from your post, the script to quote you is "QUOTE=Jewel;16184153" in square brackets. Similarly, if you quote me, it's "QUOTE=HydroG33r;16183599" in square brackets. It's these bold red numbers that I'm asking about: "QUOTE=Jewel;16184153". I haven't explored it, but I suspect that the 16184153 is not the same number for each of your posts; probably relates to a specific post of yours. What I wanted to know was if there was an easy way to predict what that number would be without having to hit "Reply With Quote" for every person I want to quote.

The ; can either be part of a hand-typed emoticon that is a "wink" or if you're referring to DX's posting, it's being used as a semicolon (two similar sentences can be separated by a semicolon instead of a period... a grammar thing).
... appreciate you trying to help, but I can't tell if this is sarcastic or condescending.
Old 10-24-13, 11:39 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 2,641 Times in 948 Posts
I use a cheap LED light. Like someone suggested above I'm using NIMH rechargeable AAAs. 4 for the light, 4 for 2 blinkies, 4 spares. Charge and rotate them weekly. Been doing this for 4 yrs, no need to replace yet.

My commute is approx 5 mi each way. Don't need the lights at all in the summer. Need them in the morns fall, winter and spring and evenings in the winter. So not too much use.
Old 10-24-13, 12:16 PM
Jewel
Live Beautifully

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Sirrus, 2013 Yuba Boda Boda Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
... appreciate you trying to help, but I can't tell if this is sarcastic or condescending.
I'm sorry. It wasn't meant as sarcastic or condescending. Sometimes tone is hard to get in written replies. I figured you were asking an innocent question & I wanted to help. I'm sorry it came out wrong.
Old 10-24-13, 01:04 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4233 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,807 Posts
Thanks for this; the post you linked to described a brute force method, but it'll work. I was just hoping for something more sophisticated (per my follow-up questions).

Actually... no. 33r is part of my handle (I know this because I made up my handle), but not everybody has numbers in their handle. I'm talking about the numbers that appears in the QUOTE script when I quote somebody. When I "Reply With Quote" from your post, the script to quote you is "QUOTE=Jewel;16184153" in square brackets. Similarly, if you quote me, it's "QUOTE=HydroG33r;16183599" in square brackets. It's these bold red numbers that I'm asking about: "QUOTE=Jewel;16184153". I haven't explored it, but I suspect that the 16184153 is not the same number for each of your posts; probably relates to a specific post of yours. What I wanted to know was if there was an easy way to predict what that number would be without having to hit "Reply With Quote" for every person I want to quote.

Have you tried the multiquote button? next to the quote button. click it for all the posts you want to quote and then hit the reply with quote for the last one. Doesn't work over multiple pages, but it's the best I've found.

Old 10-24-13, 01:43 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
Have you tried the multiquote button? next to the quote button. click it for all the posts you want to quote and then hit the reply with quote for the last one. Doesn't work over multiple pages, but it's the best I've found.
Yes, it does actually. The Multi-quote buttons puts the quoted posts in your reply in the order that you clicked them, even across multiple pages. You can even leave the thread, come back, and the multi-quote buttons you clicked previously will still be active.

The numbers after the username in a quote create the little arrow that a user can click on to go straight to that original post (where the quote was pulled from).

I just might stop by Harbor Freight and pick up one of these and do a direct side-by-side comparison with my Cygolite ExpiliOn 700. My reason for choosing that light is that it's compact, doesn't rely on external wires or battery packs, and is USB rechargeable which is very convenient. Our old Moto Razr phone chargers work perfectly with it and also my Cygolite Hotshot tail light.

Also the various flash modes come in handy. When I leave in the morning when it's dark, I use a rather unique setting that strobes the light, but keeps the light on in between strobes. Then in the daylight I use the daylight flash mode, which is extremely bright. People have commented from the side of the road that they saw me coming literally a MILE away, in the middle of the day.

Last edited by PatrickGSR94; 10-24-13 at 01:47 PM.
Old 10-24-13, 02:22 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,464 Times in 1,433 Posts
I really like 18650 cells and own several. I own two or three chargers, just to be safe.

Fenix lights seem, in general, to be good lights, well made.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.