Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Do you dislike driving?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Do you dislike driving?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-13, 11:34 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by dynodonn
I don't dislike driving, it's just that I would like to be able to eliminate it completely and say good bye to my car, but due to the autocentric landscape nature of my locale, total elimination is not yet feasible. In the meantime, I'll use my bike and feet as much as I can.
I'm the same. I've always liked driving fast cars. I still do. OTOH, riding a bike is so much more fun and so much more fulfilling, I've been feeling less and less attached to my current car (a 2010 GTI). I've driven less than 20 miles in the last two weeks. I may even get rid of it in a few months, if not right away.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 10-28-13, 12:41 AM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I didn't really mind it when I could drive, but I don't really miss it now that I can't.
Old 10-28-13, 07:31 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by daihard
I'm the same. I've always liked driving fast cars. I still do. OTOH, riding a bike is so much more fun and so much more fulfilling, I've been feeling less and less attached to my current car (a 2010 GTI). I've driven less than 20 miles in the last two weeks. I may even get rid of it in a few months, if not right away.

I no longer have interest in driving fast cars since I now barely drive the speed limit, and when I do get the urge to go fast, it's on my bike and which I still cannot attain the speed limit designated for many of our local roads. I plan to keep my car since spur of the moment decisions, travel time and distance to some destinations that are still my biggest concerns.
Old 10-28-13, 08:19 AM
Ekdog

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by daihard
I'm the same. I've always liked driving fast cars. I still do.
Do you exceed the speed limit?
Old 10-28-13, 01:12 PM
dwinks

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ekdog
Do you exceed the speed limit?
You mean those numbers on the signs on the side of the road? Most of the moron drivers around here (pretty much everyone behind a wheel), I think honestly believes those signs are a MINIMUM...no joke.

The constant remarks I overhear about "going the limit" and such make it pretty apparent that the posted 'limit' is regarded as the slowest someone is supposed to go.

Then again, the penalty for speeding is basically nothing more than an extra tank of gas worth of dollars and that's about it, so why bother driving below the limit when the penalty is all but non-existent.
Old 10-28-13, 02:15 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by dwinks
You mean those numbers on the signs on the side of the road? Most of the moron drivers around here (pretty much everyone behind a wheel), I think honestly believes those signs are a MINIMUM...no joke.

The constant remarks I overhear about "going the limit" and such make it pretty apparent that the posted 'limit' is regarded as the slowest someone is supposed to go.

Then again, the penalty for speeding is basically nothing more than an extra tank of gas worth of dollars and that's about it, so why bother driving below the limit when the penalty is all but non-existent.
In my state, the speed limits are now based on the 85th percentile of actual speeds. That results in speed limits being raised by up to 15 mph on many streets and highways. They will probably raise freeway speeds to either 80 or even 85 mph next year. Stoopid!

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 10-28-13, 02:44 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
In my state, the speed limits are now based on the 85th percentile of actual speeds. That results in speed limits being raised by up to 15 mph on many streets and highways. They will probably raise freeway speeds to either 80 or even 85 mph next year. Stoopid!
Actually, that makes sense from the automotive standpoint. I've read studies that state that you're the safest at the 85th percentile of the flow of the traffic. I wouldn't like that on regular roads, but I wouldn't mind it on the freeways where we don't ride anyway.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 10-28-13, 03:10 PM
Ekdog

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Our government has raised the speed limit from 120 kph to 130 on some highways, even though they are perfectly aware that this will result in lower fuel efficiency, more pollution, more maiming and more death.

https://www.theguardian.com/environme...aths-pollution

Last edited by Ekdog; 10-28-13 at 03:18 PM.
Old 10-28-13, 03:16 PM
Ekdog

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Do you speed?
Old 10-28-13, 03:28 PM
Ekdog

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I can think of several good reasons. Is a stiff fine the only thing that will restrain your urge to trash the environment and put the lives of innocent people at risk?
Old 10-28-13, 03:47 PM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 2,641 Times in 948 Posts
If by driving you mean rush hour, bumper to bumper, red light every few blocks, no AC on a hot summer day. Nope, I don't like that.

If you mean driving down a country road exploring, going new places. Love it.

The secret to driving in heavy traffic is learning to relax. Take it easy. You'll get there. The only times I start getting stressed is when it sounds like my junker is going to die right in the middle of a busy intersection. Even then people are usually pretty cool. Most of the time someone comes over and helps you push it off the road. I try to reciprocate when possible.
Old 10-28-13, 03:56 PM
Notgrownup

Bikes: Trek Madone 2.1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love driving... i have a 2012 Ford Flex and it drives and rides beautifully...I rode 4 hours 1 way yesterday to Martinsville VA to the Nascar Race... The smell of that race fuel i tell you is like a fine perfume...
Old 10-28-13, 04:06 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
I used to, but don't anymore. I drove 1, 500 miles in the last 6 months, and most of it was to work and back when I wasn't able to ride. And most of that was in stop and go traffic, something most people find annoying. I still like my car though.
Old 10-28-13, 04:42 PM
enigmaT120

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I don't care for driving, but I like riding motorcycles. Only on empty back roads, the same places I ride my bicycle. The only way I'm really calm in traffic is if I'm in a bus. Or walking, I guess.
Old 10-28-13, 04:46 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by locolobo13
If by driving you mean rush hour, bumper to bumper, red light every few blocks, no AC on a hot summer day. Nope, I don't like that.

If you mean driving down a country road exploring, going new places. Love it.

The secret to driving in heavy traffic is learning to relax. Take it easy. You'll get there. The only times I start getting stressed is when it sounds like my junker is going to die right in the middle of a busy intersection. Even then people are usually pretty cool. Most of the time someone comes over and helps you push it off the road. I try to reciprocate when possible.
I think it's weird that you would share driving secrets on a carfree forum. Why don't you just get rid of your junker and let go of the stress? Even if you have to sell it to a salvage yard, you'll probably get enough to purchase a decent bike.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 10-28-13, 05:56 PM
kjmillig

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
... Even if you have to sell it to a salvage yard, you'll probably get enough to purchase a decent bike.
That's exactly what I'll likely be doing very soon. Although I'll probably get a bike for my daughter or maybe my wife.
Old 10-28-13, 06:15 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
I think it's weird that you would share driving secrets on a carfree forum.
No weirder than the OP's question and the responses being posted on a carfree forum.
Old 10-28-13, 06:51 PM
HonestOne

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's really interesting reading through peoples responses, I had no idea people disliked driving/being in cars so much! I especially like driving up the mountain, sitting in my car with my now fiance, and watching lighting fall around our city. Take a warm snack or some hot-cocoa with you to and you're set, I love it.
Old 10-28-13, 09:52 PM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 2,641 Times in 948 Posts
I think it's weird that you would share driving secrets on a carfree forum. Why don't you just get rid of your junker and let go of the stress? Even if you have to sell it to a salvage yard, you'll probably get enough to purchase a decent bike.
lol. Answering the OP honestly. I'm not carfree but check the forum from time to time. I have been car free from time to time. But not due to stress. Mostly due to financial considerations. I could afford a car most of those times but had better uses for the money at the time. When I got far enuff ahead or needed a car I bought a cheap one and put putted along. As someone said above a car is a tool. So is a bicycle, at least to me.

BTW: I will end up selling my current junker to a salvage yard. It has a cracked head I'm not going to fix. But I'll buy another. Stress? No more than other things.
Old 10-28-13, 09:57 PM
ahmetcan44

Bikes: 2011 Trek Madone 3.1 (Red) | Specialized Allez (Tiagra) | Carraro Ride 28 Hybrid (Deore)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Long distance driving with no spare driver = reason to hate driving.

Driving within the city limits, for short distances is easier and makes you think driving can be useful sometimes. Also countries like Turkey, have no protective laws over cyclists. So, you have to choose driving on some occasions, even if you are keen on cycling. Sad but true.
Old 10-28-13, 10:10 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by ahmetcan44
Long distance driving with no spare driver = reason to hate driving.

Driving within the city limits, for short distances is easier and makes you think driving can be useful sometimes. Also countries like Turkey, have no protective laws over cyclists. So, you have to choose driving on some occasions, even if you are keen on cycling. Sad but true.
The same is true in most (if not all) of the states in America--no laws protecting cyclists. In my state, the legislature is considering a law that would give pedestrians and cyclists the same protection that highway workers and police officers now have--heavy fines and jail time for motorists who hit us. But I've got to say, the lack of protective laws has never stopped me personally from riding.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 10-28-13, 10:43 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
I dislike driving, because it feels so stupid. There is a wonderful quote from the cult movie Repo Man: "The more you drive, the less intelligent you are."

However, I love driving to our country home. I even love driving back. These trips are pretty much the only exceptions for me.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-29-13, 01:02 AM
Astrozombie

Bikes: Diamondback Insight, Motobecane Mirage

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Take the scenic route up to SF?? In a rented Mini Cooper convertible?? Sure!
But for that you would need money....and something to do and friends to do it with....

Yes I do hate being inside of a cage and i have the irrational fear of dying mangled in one of them....
Originally Posted by 350htrr
Every light I used to look at the person stopped next to me if they were driving something fast to see if they wanted "to go"... I mis my cars but realize that I actually have the same feelings with my bike so all is well when I can keep up with someone in spandex and on a 10,000$ bike...
And it's less dangerous with less of a chance of getting a ticket/jail
Old 10-29-13, 01:42 AM
kjmillig

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's city driving that I hate the most. I lived in the Houston area most of my life before moving to Taiwan 4 1/2 years ago. Houston traffic is terrible, but at least I never had to use the freeways to get to work. Taiwan is extremely densely populated with an ever increasing number of cars on the road but no road expansion.
I also really dislike long distance car travel. I just want to be there and get it over with.
Even with the crowded Houston and Taiwan streets, when I'm on my bicycle I just ride along and don't worry about cars and scooters or other bicycle riders hurrying along to get there NOW. And I find myself getting to my destination only slightly slower than by motor vehicle and not stressed out by traffic.
Old 10-29-13, 11:03 AM
dwinks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's the same for most states.

Here's a real fun tidbit from your southerly neighbor state: A few years ago, the speed limit was raised by 5 MPH on the Ohio Turnpike (and I think a few other toll roads). After a few years of data came in, it was determined that AVERAGE speeds went down, crashes went up a bit and fatal crashes went up even more. Absolutely NOTHING of any benefit was gained by raising the limit. Then a few months ago, the dumbasses in office for the state decided it'd be a fantastic idea to do the same with all of the interstates (outside of metro areas)...

Yeah. Awesome. Sadly, most of the idiots behind the wheel agree with the idiots in office and applaud the 'faster' speeds (even though the average speed will likely go down thanks to induced traffic and extra collisions). But hey, everyone can go 'faster' now, so that's a plus!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.