Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Ebay arrrrrrgh!!!!!!

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Ebay arrrrrrgh!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-14, 09:10 PM
Kidd69
Payback is hell

Bikes: Orbea Orca Cannondale, Lemond, Specialized, Colnago, Brady(Franklin) Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ebay arrrrrrgh!!!!!!

I found a bike on eBay that I have been after for some time. Made an offer and it was accepted. The sellor sends be a note that he screwed up and wants more money for freight because he used the eBay caculator and it wasn't enough to for him to pack the bike and ship to me. He wants to refund the money and redo his sale. He suffers only a bad feedback report and moves on. I offered to split the excess cost he refuses. I open a dispute and now my money is tied up until the dispute is settled. Man this guy has over 300 transactions on eBay you would think he new better.mad::
Old 01-09-14, 09:14 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 730 Times in 353 Posts
Ebay arrrrrrgh!!!!!!

Whats he want fir shipping? And from where to where?
Old 01-09-14, 09:19 PM
Kidd69
Payback is hell

Bikes: Orbea Orca Cannondale, Lemond, Specialized, Colnago, Brady(Franklin) Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
He hasn't got back to me yet. Brooklyn to Dallas. Isn't there a much cheaper way than UPS?
Old 01-09-14, 09:45 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked 1,286 Times in 610 Posts
He agreed to a price, he screwed up, he should chalk it up to experience and honor his agreement. I would hope eBay would tell him the same thing.
Old 01-09-14, 10:14 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
honestly, I didn't know people really still used eBay. I figured it went out of fashion in about 2005, when Amazon and craigslist made their jumps to the forefront.

I'd rather get a solid customer experience and a good price on amazon, or deal with someone face to face with cash for an immediate transaction, then try to fight idiots who just want to screw people with shipping costs or not shipping at all on ebay.

and I used ebay way back in the late 90s when it was just starting.
Old 01-09-14, 10:58 PM
knobster

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp, Soma ES

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
EBay is setup more for the buyer than the seller so hold your ground, you'll get what you want. I got a guys account closed once because he tried to screw me over.
Old 01-10-14, 01:34 AM
catonec 

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by the sci guy
honestly, I didn't know people really still used eBay. I figured it went out of fashion in about 2005, when Amazon and craigslist made their jumps to the forefront.
um really? I ebay all the time still, I guess im out of touch with whats cool.

I would not give in to his request. he posted a price for shipping, its not your fault that he screwed up. your bid is a legal contract and just like he wouldnt expect you to withdraw your bid or give him less, he is obligated to ship his item for what you agreed to.
Old 01-10-14, 05:45 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hold your ground,but not your breath,eBay customer service sucks. I won't bid on a bike that offers cut rate shipping anymore. I have a NOS BMX racer parked in the corner that's scratched and has a bent fork because the seller cheaped on the packing.

ShipBikes offers pretty good rates.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 01-15-14, 01:37 AM
iconicflux
Fredly

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker w/ SRAM Rival, & 36H 38's, Late 70's Santana Tandem w/ Double Diamond frame

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had something similar happen recently when ebay somehow got the wrong box dimensions into it. A seller can change the cost for maybe 24 hours after an auction and prior to the person paying.

In my case it was only $5 so I shipped the item and then sent proof of the error to the buyer. I told them it would be nice of them to cover the $5 but I still shipped the item in good faith like we talked about. Ya know what? They paid me the $5!
Old 01-15-14, 07:00 AM
sirupate

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had a eBay deal fall through recently too. Won bid on a nostalgia Raleigh from my teen years. Mint condition according to the seller. Paid too much of course. I thought I had convinced the seller to ship to me. Seller had originally wanted to do a local deal only. Bike never arrived. I opened a dispute with eBay. My money refunded the next day.

So I guess the seller just didn't want to go through the trouble of shipping the bike, even though I explained to her how to go about that and offered a fairly high $100 to do it right.

Sort of a sad and disappointing experience. Not sure I ever want to play on eBay again.