Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Self locking bike.

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Self locking bike.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-14, 11:18 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Self locking bike.

Developed by 3 engineering students at the Universidad Adolfo Ibaņez in Chile, the bike doesn't require riders to carry around heavy duty locks. When it comes to locking up, the middle pipe of the frame can be split into two and rotated by 90°. The seat post can then be taken out of the back pipe and inserted between two holes in each section of the split middle pipe and locked into place.
It is an interesting concept... but I do see two flaws in the design... one being that to steal the bike, one simply has to cut the seat post used as part of the lock mechanism. The other flaw is that the seat itself is still an item subject to theft. Some saddles out there (Brooks for one) are quite expensive.

Nice idea though.

https://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/advi...144102210.html
Old 09-13-14, 08:31 PM
keyven

Bikes: Fully customized 11-spd MTB built on 2014 Santa Cruz 5010 frame; Brompton S2E-X 2014; Brompton M3E 2014

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by genec

It is an interesting concept... but I do see two flaws in the design... one being that to steal the bike, one simply has to cut the seat post used as part of the lock mechanism. The other flaw is that the seat itself is still an item subject to theft. Some saddles out there (Brooks for one) are quite expensive.

Nice idea though.

https://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/advi...144102210.html
As shown in quite a few youtube vids, most locks out there can be cut, so this bike saves on the cost and weight of an extra lock to be carried around.

Ultimately, if a professional thief wants your locked bike, he will get it.
Old 09-13-14, 10:36 PM
JameB

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ultimate bike lock = common anti-thief sense + a good lock + GPS chip that can't be disabled + label mentioning the GPS chip.

That and if a famous company makes this whole system famous, it can essentially stop bike thieves.
Old 09-14-14, 12:01 AM
iconicflux
Fredly

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker w/ SRAM Rival, & 36H 38's, Late 70's Santana Tandem w/ Double Diamond frame

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, because no one ever disables car alarms and boosts the cars.

I don't know how you'd have a gps chip that can't be disabled. I bet I could disable one using the parts from a disposable camera and a spool of thin wire.

Originally Posted by JameB
Ultimate bike lock = common anti-thief sense + a good lock + GPS chip that can't be disabled + label mentioning the GPS chip.

That and if a famous company makes this whole system famous, it can essentially stop bike thieves.
Old 09-14-14, 12:10 AM
JameB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by iconicflux
Yeah, because no one ever disables car alarms and boosts the cars.

I don't know how you'd have a gps chip that can't be disabled. I bet I could disable one using the parts from a disposable camera and a spool of thin wire.
You can enclose a GPS chip inside some sort of insulating material that blocks current from frying the circuitry. GPS chips are quite small, so the insulation doesn't have to be that thick.

Just because YOU don't know something doesn't mean it's not possible.

EDIT: Or take out the labels warning of the GPS chip and use a good lock + GPS chip. Not like thieves are going to look for them.

Last edited by JameB; 09-14-14 at 12:13 AM.
Old 09-14-14, 07:08 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by keyven
As shown in quite a few youtube vids, most locks out there can be cut, so this bike saves on the cost and weight of an extra lock to be carried around.

Ultimately, if a professional thief wants your locked bike, he will get it.
Sure, but as the web site points out... the thief will be destroying part of the bike in an effort to steal it... thus rendering it useless. At a minimum the seat post would be destroyed... requiring a replacement.
Old 09-14-14, 07:32 AM
keyven

Bikes: Fully customized 11-spd MTB built on 2014 Santa Cruz 5010 frame; Brompton S2E-X 2014; Brompton M3E 2014

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sure, but as the web site points out... the thief will be destroying part of the bike in an effort to steal it... thus rendering it useless. At a minimum the seat post would be destroyed... requiring a replacement.
I thought about that - can't the thief cut the lower few inches off and still have a usable seatpost? Not sure if I'm missing anything.
Old 09-14-14, 09:56 AM
iconicflux
Fredly

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker w/ SRAM Rival, & 36H 38's, Late 70's Santana Tandem w/ Double Diamond frame

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd you do that you'll likely attenuate the signals because you have to have an antenna for the chip to function. I'd expect sophisticated thieves to use a GPS jammer, remove the bike, then remove the GPS and cell chips later.

You can enclose a GPS chip inside some sort of insulating material that blocks current from frying the circuitry. GPS chips are quite small, so the insulation doesn't have to be that thick.

EDIT: Or take out the labels warning of the GPS chip and use a good lock + GPS chip. Not like thieves are going to look for them.
Old 09-14-14, 10:22 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by keyven
I thought about that - can't the thief cut the lower few inches off and still have a usable seatpost? Not sure if I'm missing anything.
Maybe. But I wonder how the seatpost locks into the swiveling downtube portion... I mean would that leave bits in the lock part that would still prevent the bike from being ridable?

In the video it looks like part of the seatpost goes into the lower half of the "breakaway" downtube... so even if the seatpost is cut, could the downtube be reattached to itself?
Old 09-14-14, 10:24 AM
genec
genec

I'd you do that you'll likely attenuate the signals because you have to have an antenna for the chip to function. I'd expect sophisticated thieves to use a GPS jammer, remove the bike, then remove the GPS and cell chips later.
If the thieve are sophisticated enough to have a GPS jammer, they probably won't be stealing bikes.

Most bike thieves are about as sophisticated as "cable cutter hidden in jacket."
Old 09-14-14, 11:03 AM
JameB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If the thieve are sophisticated enough to have a GPS jammer, they probably won't be stealing bikes.

Most bike thieves are about as sophisticated as "cable cutter hidden in jacket."
This.

I seriously doubt there are people who ride EXPENSIVE bikes AND leave them locked somewhere.

If someone really does own an expensive bike, I hope they're smart enough to do the basics in terms of deterring bike thieves. Plus, without any warnings, the GPS chip isn't something a thief would look for.
Old 09-14-14, 12:06 PM
genec
genec

This.

I seriously doubt there are people who ride EXPENSIVE bikes AND leave them locked somewhere.

If someone really does own an expensive bike, I hope they're smart enough to do the basics in terms of deterring bike thieves. Plus, without any warnings, the GPS chip isn't something a thief would look for.
Wish I could agree with you... I happen to know someone that locked his rather expensive off road style bike with a few cable locks and then went out for a day sail... Upon return, he had to take a cab.

He has asked to borrow one of my bikes... but frankly I just can't do it... he already lost his bike. I don't want him to lose mine too.

I'm just glad he wasn't sailing with me... I might feel a bit guilty about it.

The only bike I ever lost over the years was a fat tire cruiser... and I felt bad enough losing that. (yeah, it was cable locked... right near a security office... go figure.)
Old 09-14-14, 12:37 PM
ItsJustMe
Seņior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

The CHIPS are small, but the antenna is at least postage stamp size and needs to be exposed, plus you need a battery, and if the chip isn't reporting its location anywhere that's useless, so you have also a cell phone modem, SIM chip, make the battery big enough to run that for a week, etc.

Plus where you gonna put it? Most solutions I've seen put it in the saddle, because everything else has metal everywhere and that would block the whole thing from working. If these were common at all, thieves would quickly learn to remove and toss the saddle.

If these were common, it would be easy enough to know where they were. With a battery in there, you could disable it with a nail and a hammer (or rock).
Old 09-14-14, 02:26 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
The Unstealable Bike (UB) could be stolen quickly and easily by almost anyone using the inexpensive, widely available Universal Bicycle Key:

Ryobi 18-Volt One+ 4-1/2 in. Angle Grinder (Tool-Only)-P421 at The Home Depot

I think any bike locked with a sturdy U-lock would be slightly less stealable, since there's more material to cut through than the seat post on the UB.
Old 09-14-14, 07:20 PM
iconicflux
Fredly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just today I saw a Pinarello Dogma 2 with Campy EPS on top of a car without a lock on the rack for 3 hours.

This.

Old 09-14-14, 07:22 PM
iconicflux
Fredly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm aware of one on the market that uses the top cap for the antenna. I don't know how good it does with reception but it's an interesting usage...

Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
The CHIPS are small, but the antenna is at least postage stamp size and needs to be exposed, plus you need a battery, and if the chip isn't reporting its location anywhere that's useless, so you have also a cell phone modem, SIM chip, make the battery big enough to run that for a week, etc.

Plus where you gonna put it? Most solutions I've seen put it in the saddle, because everything else has metal everywhere and that would block the whole thing from working. If these were common at all, thieves would quickly learn to remove and toss the saddle.

If these were common, it would be easy enough to know where they were. With a battery in there, you could disable it with a nail and a hammer (or rock).
Old 09-14-14, 07:23 PM
JameB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just today I saw a Pinarello Dogma 2 with Campy EPS on top of a car without a lock on the rack for 3 hours.
I don't even know what to say... I have a cheap bike and I never leave it unattended. Perhaps the guy was really rich or had insurance.. but either way, a GPS chip would have helped him in case his bike was stolen!
Old 09-14-14, 07:27 PM
JameB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe

GPS chips are already available for bikes. You can even use something like (https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/s...ind-lost-items) to keep track of your bikes. There was another app that uses the same concept to lookout for stolen items (i.e. if someone else with the app comes close to the item, it will notify the owner of its location).
Old 09-15-14, 06:50 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by seeker333
The Unstealable Bike (UB) could be stolen quickly and easily by almost anyone using the inexpensive, widely available Universal Bicycle Key:

Ryobi 18-Volt One+ 4-1/2 in. Angle Grinder (Tool-Only)-P421 at The Home Depot

I think any bike locked with a sturdy U-lock would be slightly less stealable, since there's more material to cut through than the seat post on the UB.
Sure, but does that damage then render the bike useless, and thus "unstealable." Granted, there is more to a bike than the frame... and that could be the issue at hand. But if you have to cut the frame to steal the bike... is the bike still good as a bike?

Again, I don't know what would happen if you left part of the seat post in the lower half of the movable "lock" portion of the downtube... so this is all academic at this time.
Old 09-18-14, 08:41 AM
GP

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wish I could agree with you... I happen to know someone that locked his rather expensive off road style bike with a few cable locks and then went out for a day sail... Upon return, he had to take a cab.
The most common stolen bike in the tidelands is a Giant MTB.
Old 09-19-14, 01:29 PM
walrus1

Bikes: Schwinn World Sport Jamis Ventura

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only way to make your bike almost unstealable is to lock it in Front Knox surrounded by soldiers who shoot anything that moves other then each other. Realistically all you can do is make more difficult to steal then the bike you lock next to.

The wheels are still vulnerable.