Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Garmin Vector owners give a little help if you can.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-14, 01:21 PM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts

I've decided that the Vector S is the powermeter I am going to purchase so I go over to Garmin's site to buy it but realize I don't have the measurments off my crank. Does anybody know what version (standard or large) I would need to purchase for a Shimano 6800 Ultegra crank?

BTW, It was a decision between Stages or Vector S due to budget and I think left sided won't be a huge deal. Plus, I like the idea I can upgrade to dual sided if I want in the future and I needed a set of pedals anyway.
Old 12-12-14, 02:44 PM
vschippy

Bikes: CAAD 10/Avanti Cadent ER11 3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After a lot of reading and talking to people in my club
I went the other way and went stages very reliable no problems
Old 12-12-14, 05:58 PM
jtwilson

Bikes: CAAD10

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You need the standard version for your Ultegra crank.

I love my Vector pedals, and can't help but feel a bit smug as my team mates have had all sorts of issues with their Stages throughout the year. The Vector is simply a higher quality product, and the new Vector S presents a great alternative to those people who would otherwise go Stages or Powertap. I don't get much training value out of seeing my L/R balance, and it's usually within the margin of error from 50/50, so I wouldn't feel like I was missing anything by using the Vector S.
Old 12-12-14, 06:23 PM
FLvector
Stand and Deliver

Bikes: Cannondale R1000, Giant TCR Advanced, Giant TCR Advanced SL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Before you pull the trigger, be sure to do a search on warranty support and issues with the quality of the pods. I've had a few issues with the Stages PM early on, but they improved the battery cover and problems solved. Their customer support is outstanding.
Old 12-12-14, 09:04 PM
Vicegrip

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FLvector
Before you pull the trigger, be sure to do a search on warranty support and issues with the quality of the pods. I've had a few issues with the Stages PM early on, but they improved the battery cover and problems solved. Their customer support is outstanding.
one side or two conversation aside the meter itself has been dependable. Yes the battery door was fragile but they sent me a couple of the improved doors for free after I finally broke mine.
Old 12-12-14, 09:14 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
small / thin which is standard
Old 12-13-14, 03:47 PM
TCR Rider

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8 Giant TCR Advanced 2 Jamis Coda

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by vschippy
After a lot of reading and talking to people in my club
I went the other way and went stages very reliable no problems
That's been my experience as well. I purchased my Stages about 4 months ago and it seemed that the issues that people were having with it had been resolved by then. So far it has been reliable and gives consistant readings. For my purposes I get all the data I need.
I was considering the Vector but the price was almost double that of the Stages and the warranty and customer service with the Stages was top notch. Besides I didn't want to give up my Shimano DA pedals.
Old 12-13-14, 06:00 PM
vschippy

Bikes: CAAD 10/Avanti Cadent ER11 3

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TCR Rider
That's been my experience as well. I purchased my Stages about 4 months ago and it seemed that the issues that people were having with it had been resolved by then. So far it has been reliable and gives consistant readings. For my purposes I get all the data I need.
I was considering the Vector but the price was almost double that of the Stages and the warranty and customer service with the Stages was top notch. Besides I didn't want to give up my Shimano DA pedals.
I thinks both products had early teething problems.
Most people I spoke to about the garmin said when they where working they where great .but when they didn't they where a pain strange readings mid ride etc
The pedal thing was also my dilemma.
Having three different bikes all with shimano spd sl pedals and only 1pair of shoes was more convenient and cheaper to go Stages
Old 12-13-14, 09:06 PM
jtwilson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vschippy
Having three different bikes all with shimano spd sl pedals and only 1pair of shoes was more convenient and cheaper to go Stages
Having three different bikes with three different BB standards and groupsets, it was more convenient and cheaper to get one Vector for power on all three.
Old 12-14-14, 05:57 AM
FLvector
Stand and Deliver

Bikes: Cannondale R1000, Giant TCR Advanced, Giant TCR Advanced SL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jtwilson
Having three different bikes with three different BB standards and groupsets, it was more convenient and cheaper to get one Vector for power on all three.
If you're looking to have power on all three bikes, a better approach would be to get a rear hub based system such a Powertap. Just switch the rear wheel rather than changing pedals and switching all your pedals to match.
Old 12-14-14, 10:18 AM
jtwilson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FLvector
If you're looking to have power on all three bikes, a better approach would be to get a rear hub based system such a Powertap. Just switch the rear wheel rather than changing pedals and switching all your pedals to match.
Nope. I have multiple wheelsets that I use regularly. Pedal-based really is the best, most versatile option to have power on any road bike. Swapping pedals takes all of two minutes, and there's no need for "switching all your pedals to match." Just one set of pedals to rule them all. I do have a back-up set of Look pedals which work with my current shoes/cleats, for whatever reason, just in case.