Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

People Without Cars

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

People Without Cars

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-15, 03:06 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by BicycleBicycle
I met someone today that does not have a car by choice.

I was wondering, for those of you people who can actually afford cars, and are getting older, or are old why do you not have a car?
Depending on what you mean by "getting older" ... I could easily envision NOT having a car when I get older. My grandmother learned to drive in her early 60s, but gave up her car in early 80s.

Why?

The hassle of dealing with vehicle maintenance.
The cost of vehicle maintenance, insurance etc.
The effects of age ... perhaps poorer vision, slower reaction time, etc.

And for my grandmother, who is 93 now, much of what she needs is within walking distance of where she lives. For things that are further away, she has friends and family who will take her.

Last edited by Machka; 03-20-15 at 03:30 AM.
Old 03-20-15, 03:09 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

@BicycleBicycle ... maybe you could define what you mean by "getting older"?
Old 03-20-15, 06:39 AM
Ekdog

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
One of the many contradictions of the car-centric transport systems that so many who post here adore is that they leave big groups of people without a means of moving from one place to another. Children and adolescents who are too young to have a driving license, the elderly, the unsighted, the disabled and the poor are examples of groups that often must rely on someone to drive them around or, if there is no one willing to do this for them, must suffer the consequences of severely restricted mobility.
Old 03-20-15, 06:55 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
"The sticking point" of this thread and the LCF list is your belief in your own righteousness and that the purpose/intent of this list is to be a sounding board for you and a handful of sanctimonious purveyors of PC platitudes to blather on endlessly about your take on "the real problems that face this world."

Suggest that you take your political and spiritual posts about "the real problems that face this world" to P&R, and finally spare the LCF list the OT political and political correctness lessons.
I guess I got carried away again. Sorry.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 03-20-15, 08:04 AM
Ekdog

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
Are you serious? You have absolutely no reason to apologise. Why should a topic such as climate change and how car-free living can help to solve it be prohibited simply because a handful of ignorami are offended by it? Should the obesity thread be eliminated if someone doesn't like that topic?

Last edited by Ekdog; 03-20-15 at 08:13 AM.
Old 03-20-15, 08:12 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by Ekdog
Are you serious? You have absolutely no reason to apologise. Why should a topic such as climate change and how car-free living living can help to solve it be prohibited simply because a handful of ignorami are offended by it? Should the obesity thread be eliminated if someone doesn't like that topic?
None of that was the topic of this thread. Reading the first post again.
Old 03-20-15, 08:20 AM
Ekdog

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
None of that was the topic of this thread. Reading the first post again.
The first post:

I was wondering, for those of you people who can actually afford cars, and are getting older, or are old why do you not have a car?
I am getting older, one of the reasons I do not have a car is the fact that I am concerned about climate change, and I want be part of the solution to solving it, so, yes, for some of us it is germane to the topic.
Old 03-20-15, 08:22 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

The first post:

I am getting older, one of the reasons I do not have a car is the fact that I am concerned about climate change and I want be part of the solution to solving it, so, yes, for some of us it is germane to the topic.
Do you know of others who are getting older or who are old who have chosen to be car free for that or other reasons? Maybe you could provide several examples of such people there in Seville or other parts of Europe.
Old 03-20-15, 08:30 AM
Ekdog

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Do you know of others who are getting older or who are old who have chosen to be car free for that or other reasons? Maybe you could provide several examples of such people there in Seville or other parts of Europe.
Yes, I'm a member of a cycling advocacy group that's full of many people who have chosen this lifestyle for that and many other reasons.
Old 03-20-15, 08:48 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Yes, I'm a member of a cycling advocacy group that's full of many people who have chosen this lifestyle for that and many other reasons.
Such as ... ?
Old 03-20-15, 08:54 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Does this mean that we can post the opinions of people we know, but not our own opinions? Please clarify.

As stated previously, concern about climate change is a top reason why I am carlight and why I have been carfree or carlight for 42 years. When I was young, my ONLY reason for not driving was concern about global warming. As I got older, that expanded into other reasons such as fitness, finances, etc.

How about you? Do you have any concerns at all about the environment? It sounds like you think everything will be fine if we just ignore the problem.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 03-20-15, 08:55 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
My wife and I were car free for a combined 15 years when we were in our 30's and 40's, there was simply no need to own a motor vehicle.

We still ride more than we drive but do own two vehicles; we have a small economical car and a nearly vintage Jeep SUV that I use for hauling, work, and long road trips that often involve things like camping, fishing, and mountain biking.

We also share the car with a friend and his family who also ride most of the time, but they do require a vehicle from time to time.

One advantage is that my mechanical skills also serve to allow me to do most of the minor to moderate service, which has been very little during the period we have owned these vehicles and both are paid for.

Being car free involved a lot of smart choices, we both lived centrally in our respective cities (we still do) and in many cases did not even have to cycle as things were close enough to walk to... on many a day my wife can walk to work although she usually opts to ride the 3km as she often does the shopping en route and the bike carries things much more effectively.

My usual commute ranges from 32 steps to 10 km... if I have no need to haul truckloads of parts it is a walk or a ride.
Old 03-20-15, 12:04 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,043 Posts
Subsequent posts continuing your political digressions in this thread indicate just how sorry you are about getting "carried away."
Old 03-20-15, 12:13 PM
Ekdog

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Such as ... ?
I addressed that in post no. 2.
Old 03-20-15, 12:24 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Subsequent posts continuing your political digressions in this thread indicate just how sorry you are about getting "carried away."
I reread the first post as Machka suggested. That showed me that these comments are within the realm. The OP asked for reasons that people are carfree, and that is being provided.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 03-20-15, 12:37 PM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I was car-free for several years during college, getting around by riding my bike, walking and taking the campus buses. However, my "world" was pretty small during that period and I seldom needed to travel very far. I was also very short on money, and the little that I had went to pay for tuition, rent and food. Even after I got a cheap car while still in college, I continued to ride my bike to classes because it was much simpler, quicker and less expensive than driving and parking.

Once you start working, in most places, cars become more important. I've been bike commuting now for about 8 years, and I ride to work 3-4 days/week on average year-round. However, I still drive on days when the weather is bad or I need my car for meetings, errands, appointments, buying groceries, etc. My round-trip commute is about 31 miles, and that is long distance to ride in bad weather. I have tried riding in the snow/ice and didn't make it out of my neighborhood, but fortunately we get little of that sort of weather in NC. It's not realistic to expect everyone to live in a downtown area or close to their work. In my city, downtown housing is very limited and expensive, and there is nowhere to even buy groceries. Most of the jobs in my metro area are located in a large industrial/corporate park, which is a very long distance from where I live.

I bike commute because I enjoy it and I'm fit enough to do it. However, most people would have no desire to commute 30, 20 or even 10 miles by bike and many would be physically incapable of doing it.
Old 03-20-15, 12:38 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

I reread the first post as Machka suggested. That showed me that these comments are within the realm. The OP asked for reasons that people are carfree, and that is being provided.
I have no doubts that you and your PC pal(s) can always find a "reason" to interject your personal political, social and moralizing viewpoints into a discussion list that is putatively about living car free. And you will not be sorry in the least.
Old 03-20-15, 12:51 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

I have no doubts that you and your PC pal(s) can always find a "reason" to interject your personal political, social and moralizing viewpoints into a discussion list that is putatively about living car free. And you will not be sorry in the least.
Have you answered the OP's question about your reasons for being carlight? I for one would be interested to know, if you care to share.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 03-20-15, 01:36 PM
Zedoo
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: several

Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 88 Posts
When I was a kid gas station fumes made me sick. My body knew I should be carfree decades before I had conscious reasons.
Old 03-20-15, 02:21 PM
Ekdog

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
What's political about global warming? It's a scientific issue. And any cat who is offended by viewpoints with social or moral content must be amoral or immoral or asocial or antisocial. There's definitely something warped about such a mentality.
Old 03-20-15, 03:12 PM
sauerwald

Bikes: Bianchi San Remo - set up as a utility bike, Peter Mooney Road bike, Peter Mooney commute bike,Dahon Folder,Schwinn Paramount Tandem

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am 58 - not sure if that counts as 'older' in your book.
My income is in the top 1% of US residents, so if I wanted (or needed) a car, I could afford one.

The reasons that I don't have a car:
1) I don't need one. When I do need a car, I rent one.
2) Cars kill and maim people both by physically squashing them, as well as by polluting the air that we all breath, and by impacting the climate of our planet. I believe that owning or operating a car when you don't need one is an immoral, anti-social activity and I choose not to participate in immoral, anti-social behavior.
3) I believe that the physical activity that I get by riding my bicycle every day will not only allow me to live longer, but to have a far better quality of life than most in our society.
4) I look forward to my commute every day - I know very few of my co-workers who can say the same, yet they seem to feel sorry for me since I don't have a car - **********
Old 03-20-15, 04:31 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by sauerwald
I am 58 - not sure if that counts as 'older' in your book.
My income is in the top 1% of US residents, so if I wanted (or needed) a car, I could afford one.

The reasons that I don't have a car:
1) I don't need one. When I do need a car, I rent one.
2) Cars kill and maim people both by physically squashing them, as well as by polluting the air that we all breath, and by impacting the climate of our planet. I believe that owning or operating a car when you don't need one is an immoral, anti-social activity and I choose not to participate in immoral, anti-social behavior.
3) I believe that the physical activity that I get by riding my bicycle every day will not only allow me to live longer, but to have a far better quality of life than most in our society.
4) I look forward to my commute every day - I know very few of my co-workers who can say the same, yet they seem to feel sorry for me since I don't have a car - **********
Which means you compromised your lofty ideals in Item 2 before you even started, and you are no better than the people who engage in this immoral and anti-social behaviour.

By the way, cars do not squash, kill and maim people. Lack of skill by the operators does all that.

Really, you should tell us how you achieve your income level in the top US 1%, then we can judge just how good your hyperbole is...
Old 03-20-15, 04:40 PM
jimblairo

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate 2006, Litespeed Pisgah , Specialized Roubaix 2008, Trek Madone 2011

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in Montreal which has excellent public transportation. I had cancer 3 times and took up walking and cycling to maintain my health. The money I save by not owning a car pays for a great 3 week vacation each year.
Old 03-20-15, 05:31 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Rowan
Really, you should tell us how you achieve your income level in the top US 1%, then we can judge just how good your hyperbole is...
I'd be interested in how his family feels about being carfree forever.
Old 03-20-15, 05:44 PM
Zephyr11
Pint-Sized Gnar Shredder

Bikes: '09 Jamis Komodo, '09 Mirraco Blend One, '08 Cervelo P2C, '08 Specialized Ruby Elite, '07 Yeti AS-R SL, '07 DMR Drone

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Friendly reminder to keep it on topic, guys.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.