Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

hi-vis, reflective safety t-shirts?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 05-21-17, 10:44 PM
kjmillig

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Does anyone wear a hi-vis yellow or orange safety t-shirt often worn by workers in various industries? I've thought about getting a couple made from wicking mesh with long sleeves since I live in Phoenix.
Old 05-22-17, 02:55 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 127 Posts
Originally Posted by kjmillig
Does anyone wear a hi-vis yellow or orange safety t-shirt often worn by workers in various industries? I've thought about getting a couple made from wicking mesh with long sleeves since I live in Phoenix.
On open roads, they are visible and catcht the attention from further away than even ligths. They are a good addition to good lights. I got a cheap, plain sleevless hi-vis "shirt", and wear it over a t-shirt.

Something like this for the ankles, moves up-down, draws attention:
https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content...gc=0;orderby=2

Something like this when it's not summer:

For the summer (mine's a lot cheaper):
https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content...ge=4;orderby=2
Old 05-22-17, 01:34 PM
enigmaT120

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I found a couple of them at Goodwill (one long, one short sleeved) and wear them if I'm riding at night but don't need my rain jacket.
Old 05-22-17, 04:18 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Sometimes I wonder if it's a good idea to mount a white light at the back of the bike but aim it at your back. Not all drivers turn their lights on at night.
Old 05-25-17, 10:22 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Fluorescence is good. I almost hit a bike once because he was lane splitting and wearing black. I just didn't see him until the last minute.

Still, Bright LED lights or strobes is probably the best. a bike with mute colors and no lights is near invisible
People literally do not see what they do not expect to see if it doesn't stand out.

I wear a fluorescent yellow bike jersey, socks, and shoes, along with daytime running lights.

I do have a vest like you mention that I got for $4 at 5-below. Hansens makes some running and bicycling vests (but they are incredibly geeking looking).
Old 05-25-17, 11:17 AM
JReade

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
https://www.hi-vizsafetywear.com/t-s...8145-8146.html

If you want to get them made, by all means, but you'll probably spend more.
Old 05-25-17, 11:30 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
Sometimes I wonder if it's a good idea to mount a white light at the back of the bike but aim it at your back. Not all drivers turn their lights on at night.
the reflective material only works to reflect light back towards the light source. Light at an angle doesn't reflect very well.

I do mount my rear light down by the drop out, so that it lights up the wheel, providing side visibility as well as rear visibility.
Old 05-25-17, 12:27 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
If you're not sure, buy one Champion long sleeve hi-vis shirt. Champion calls their hi-vis yellow "safety green", but it looks very yellow to me. I've had their "safety green" and orange long sleeve shirts for a few months and they're great for the money, around $15.

The poly fabric is warm in cool weather, even soaking wet -- I've been caught in the rain a few times. And comfortable so far in temps into the 80s (and up to 91F Thursday afternoon). Doesn't smell funky after getting soaked with sweat, wicks properly. Washes well. Fabric resists snagging. Great values.

Besides the hi-vis colors the Champion shirts include a couple of reflective touches -- logos on the back of the neck and left sleeve near the wrist.

These aren't cycling jerseys -- no rear pockets, no collar zippers. But they are long enough in the tails and sleeves to prevent riding up, while still fitting properly off the bike.

Last edited by canklecat; 05-25-17 at 10:02 PM.
Old 05-25-17, 04:29 PM
mj0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Slaninar

Something like this for the ankles, moves up-down, draws attention:
I started using ankle bands after coming up behind a cyclist at night while driving. His ankle bands were way more noticeable than his rear light just because they were always moving up and down.
Old 05-25-17, 05:12 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
I've gotten several shirts from this company and have been satisfied:

Safety shirts, safety clothing, safety vests , reflective shirts, safety jackets, Traffic Safety Gloves
Old 05-25-17, 08:15 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
hi-viz construction shirts are like 3/$10 at the local supply shop. Check out that kind of place.
Old 05-25-17, 10:05 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
I have a couple of those hardware store poly fabric hi-vis shirts too, about $5/ea. Not bad, but not as comfortable as the Champions. Not sure what the difference is. Maybe the weave. Who knows. But the Champion shirts are better quality, more comfortable in cold and hot weather and wash better -- no problems getting the collars clean, while the cheaper shirts retain sweat stains.
Old 05-25-17, 10:07 PM
Rotten

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Circuit, 1986 Schwinn Passage, 1987 Shogun Katana, 2018 Giant Anyroad Advanced, 2013 Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 93 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
the reflective material only works to reflect light back towards the light source. Light at an angle doesn't reflect very well.

I do mount my rear light down by the drop out, so that it lights up the wheel, providing side visibility as well as rear visibility.
You're correct about the light being reflected straight back to the source with the older styles of safety shirts/vests.

Be on the lookout for the newest version of safety wear with 'retroreflective'. It lights up with light from any angle.

I work in highway construction and the new material is now mandatory, at least for us inspectors.
Old 05-25-17, 10:24 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 127 Posts
Originally Posted by Rotten
You're correct about the light being reflected straight back to the source with the older styles of safety shirts/vests.

Be on the lookout for the newest version of safety wear with 'retroreflective'. It lights up with light from any angle.

I work in highway construction and the new material is now mandatory, at least for us inspectors.
As for lights, I'd place at least one rear light higher up, for better visibility. A high vehicle, like a bus, or a lorry riding close to me should be able to see my light. Even some cars use that:

Reflectors are a great addition to good lights, but by no means a replacement, nor something lighting position should be compromised for.

My thoughts on bicycle lighting and being seen:
Bicycle lights
Old 05-26-17, 08:50 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,362 Times in 1,381 Posts
I own a couple, but I never use them. It's yet another thing to remember and do. It's a good idea to wear, but honestly, but I just don't. I have reflective material and lights and a rear view mirror, and not everyone has those. Choose safety gear and procedures that suit you. I'm willing to do many things, but I'm not willing to do everything.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.