Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Nextdoor.com

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Nextdoor.com

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-20, 07:49 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Nextdoor.com

I came across this website directed at neighborhoods. It seems it would be useful for us seniors and especially useful during the viral pandemic. https://help.nextdoor.com/s/article/...language=en_US
Likes For berner:
Old 03-25-20, 09:21 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 180 Posts
I probably get a solicitation in the mail once a month to join this group. I guess it would be useful if I didn't know and like my immediate neighbors but I do. Both of the adjacent neighbors have offered to purchase food for me if I needed the assistance. One stocks products in multiple grocery stores so can always find the hard-to-get items. I thanked them but said I don't need much and so far have been able to buy what I needed with just one trip to the grocery store each week. I don't subscribe to the many conspiracy theories but realize that nextdoor must make money by compiling data on its members or else it would go bust quickly.
Likes For VegasTriker:
Old 03-25-20, 09:33 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I'm sure you're right. I read somewhere that if what you get is purported to be free, you are the product.
Old 03-25-20, 11:29 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts
I joined, but then deleted my account. At first you do get a sense of community. If there was a siren in the middle of the night... someone will be reporting as to what it was. At times there are even more immediate alerts as to possibly questionable people roaming around the neighborhood. You get current reports of theft, car break-ins and almost anything like that. In that sense it can add to a feeling of security. People share their experiences with the various trades. If you need a good electrician, plumber etc, you can get a feeling for what is out there and who's doing a good job. There are MANY positive reason to have an account.

But, there are some who feel like they're the pillar of the community and are quick to respond when they don't know all the facts. Recently, I was told by my neighbor who does have an account that there was an issue about someone driving in the neighborhood in a dangerous manner and a mob mentality seemed to be taking over (at least online). The gentleman who all this was directed at happened to be a member of the website. He politely introduced who he was and then proceeded to point out how ridiculously wrong the original story was. People finally realized that they had overreacted and apologized. Something along these lines happened to me. After a brief and cordial exchange with a resident of our community (at my front door) who apparently didn't like what I had to say, I was being apologized for by others on the website stating things like... "That is not representative of the people of our community", "we apologize for that" etc. After reading how everyone was willing to take one's side without hearing both sides turned me off to the site and I immediately deleted my account.
Old 03-25-20, 12:43 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,582 Times in 1,221 Posts
I'm ok with some of the craziness that goes on in there. It's pretty much self moderated. I've had a chance to meet a few people with similar interest. And there is helpful advice. Just like on here, you go where you feel comfortable. The "help your neighbor" post have been going on for a long time on my local site. Good place to post for sale items before you go to the larger sites.
Old 03-25-20, 07:21 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,980 Times in 566 Posts
I've heard there is a lot of "get off my lawn"ing on NextDoor. No thanks. I get enough of that as it is.

Old 03-25-20, 07:28 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
I've heard there is a lot of "get off my lawn"ing on NextDoor. No thanks. I get enough of that as it is.
My wife tuned in occasionally. She'd read some posts to me. Sounded like a mini-FaceBook. Not my thing.
Old 03-25-20, 07:52 PM
355Mono

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
We belong. Some good advice on local services. I innocently chimed in on a conversation, and got flamed by some neighbor. That was my reality call. Done. We still get alerts, but mostly delete them. Some folks thrive on this stuff. Sad.
Old 03-25-20, 08:16 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
I participate regularly in my local NextDoor. You can always tune out certain threads or certain contributors, if need be. For me, the good outweighs the bad, but your community may differ.

(We got our current cat through NextDoor. Her owner had died, and one of his employees posted a "cat needs home" message on NextDoor.)
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 03-25-20, 08:20 PM
nesdog

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Disc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 39 Posts
It's pretty much as described above and we do participate from time to time. Got some of our handymen and leads for other work through the website. But you do have to tune out some of the nonsense.
It's been good the past few weeks as neighbors exchanged market information, letting us know who had stock or long lines.
Old 03-25-20, 08:50 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
It's OK, but there are some annoying posters (sound familiar?). But also some entertainment.

Decent source of referrals for local services.
Old 03-27-20, 08:26 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Are these larger towns you are referring to? Ours is 4000 and we pretty much know what’s up anyways. I like facebook and Strava but if people get snooty I leave.
Old 03-28-20, 09:51 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
We had it....like a local facebook of sorts. Lots of complaining about her and his lawn is to weedy type crap for my liking. Scammers pop up once in a whiIe was just too much garbage to be useful IMO. It really depends on the "neighbors" on it. This could be a really good service. Problem is its free, so your the product in the end. That should be a clue its not a great "service"
Old 03-28-20, 11:12 AM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked 2,976 Times in 1,496 Posts
ok site/

useful updates regarding breakins-thefts-suspicious strangers.key is don't make your address visible,just list by street name.no more over -zealous reactions.sometimes great bargains,freebies.

"Helmets, clipless pedals, derailleurs, random bits and stuff free but don't take everything. Two wheels 26" with disk brakes etc.".
Old 03-28-20, 12:51 PM
bmcer

Bikes: Full campy Record EPS BMC Team Machine slr01, Canyon CF SL 8.0 Endurance

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 66 Posts
I have an account with Nextdoor. As with any social media, there are those who abuse the platform. They can be simply and safely ignored. When our beloved cat disappeared a couple years ago, it was the alert I posted on Nextdoor along with pictures that finally got him home thanks to another Nextdoor member half a mile away who spotted him and held onto him until I could retrieve him. So it was well worth he price of admission.

In my view, it's just another tool. Properly used, it works just fine. Otherwise, it's just another nuisance like FB
Old 03-28-20, 01:11 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 180 Posts
You are right that in small towns you don't really need this. I lived in a farmhouse at the edge of a small town in Wisconsin. Rented the upstairs. I was out cross-country skiing and came across someone out walking his dog but face up in the road after a heart attack. I managed to get hold of the county police to report the death by stopping at the nearest house (pre-cellphone days). By time I got home about an hour later the family living on the first floor of the farmhouse already knew the story.
Likes For VegasTriker: