Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Getting sick the day after long rides

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-20, 11:37 PM
Alphabet

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Finest 2.3 - 2022 Domane AL 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
I too was feeling sick after long rides on warmer days last year. I thought it might be dehydration as I have suffered from it in the past. I started taking liquid IV(specifically for hydration) during rides and that did it! Glad to read you solved this issue.
Old 06-23-20, 12:06 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I read and remembered what was probably version 1 of this document: https://www.hammernutrition.com/medi...nghandbook.pdf
20-some years ago. IME everything in it is correct. Follow this guide. You don't have to use their products - it's the principles which are important. I use only their Endurolytes, I suppose mostly because I have a lot of experience with that particular product.
Replenish, don't replace: https://www.hammernutrition.com/know...e/less-is-best

My wife and I had an interesting experience on our last 10-day backpack. She had become accustomed to drinking x many swallows of water every half hour. One day it was cold and showered on us all day as we hiked. We set up camp and it became obvious that she was not OK, pale, nauseous, a bit incoherent. I thought OMG it's hyponatremia! I'd read about it, but had never seen it. She's way over-watered! 2 Endurolytes in the tent and she was fine again. Because it was cool and we hadn't been sweating, I didn't think about taking them during the day. I think I might have drunk a pint of water all day, while she went through 2 liters. So that's another thing one can do wrong.
Old 06-24-20, 10:12 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
Any time I say I was suffering from hyponatremia the docs I know make fun of me. OTOH, I definitely think that it's not hard to make my body start worrying about it. It's one reason I stopped using my hydration pack. I know another person that has trouble with nausea on hot rides, and I'm convinced he needs to eat more salt. The downside is eating too much salt has pretty much exactly the same symptoms as not eating enough.
Old 06-26-20, 07:54 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
is the OP still around?

Wondering what he eventually figured out.

I once had to rescue a hiker on the Appalachian trail. The guy had diarrhea so he popped some Imodium and guzzled liquids to try and re-hydrate. Guess he overdid it because we came across him the next day so spent he couldn't walk. A through hiker, I drove him to a motel so he could spend a few days recovering. Spoke with an EMT the next day about about what happened and he said the symptoms of hyponatremia are very similar to dehydration. It isn't something to fool around with either, I personally know people who suffered permanent brain damage when their sodium levels fell too low.
Old 06-26-20, 12:36 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
still posting
Old 06-26-20, 12:48 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3455 Post(s)
Liked 1,454 Times in 1,133 Posts
The discussion here on sodium is why I brought two oz of Chex Mix to eat half way through my 50 plus mile ride yesterday. I have no clue if it accomplished anything, but it tasted pretty good after my pastrami sandwich.
Old 07-01-20, 08:08 AM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 102 Posts
I lost 8lbs on a 200K the other day... it was one of my strongest rides of the last few years. I drank about 6 litres of water and ~1.8L of pepsi, and a can of cream soda over the course of the ride. 9h30 total time, with less than 8 of that on the bike. I also ate 3 little sandwiches, 500g of fresh strawberies as well as a small bag of sweet chili heat doritos split over two stops. It was pretty hot (for Ontario) probably over 30C for 5-6 hours of the ride but not too humid. I ate an entire watermelon after I got home. My rule-of-thumb for the last couple of years has been to keep it at a bottle an hour for my rides. Often times it's a lot less than that... maybe a bottle every 2 hours for most of my riding these days.
Likes For clasher: