Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Shoe inserts

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Shoe inserts

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-20, 08:51 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
Shoe inserts

I've been looking for new shoes again and the one thing that always struck me about cycling shoes is how uncomfortable they are. I started to wonder why nobody makes a cycling shoe like a running shoe, and I'm not talking about a shoe to walk in, but a shoe with enough padding that you don't feel every crease and bump, with a padded tongue, sorbothane type insert, and still with a stiff CF sole. Cycling shoes are still in the dark ages compared to running shoes. I don't want my foot to be loose in them but they don't need to be so tight as to be uncomfortable. And again, these aren't MTB shoes, or recessed cleat shoes for walking I'm talking about, but real road shoes that have internal padding and contours for your feet.

Is there something out there that I haven't seen because they are over my usual budget?

I guess I titled this Shoe Inserts, but either inserts or whole shoe would be great.

Last edited by zacster; 07-25-20 at 09:12 AM.
Old 07-25-20, 11:32 AM
cybirr 
Beer & Bikes

Bikes: '20 Specialized Roubaix Expert, '20 Specialized Shiv Elite, '13 Specialized S-Works Epic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
Cycling shoes are still in the dark ages compared to running shoes.
The manufacturers have gotten quite clever. There are many examples of what you are suggesting. Specialized Body Geometry is just one. You buy the road shoe and it comes with a neutral (completely flat) foot bed insert. You can then buy a low, medium or high arch support insert to swap. Or go one step further at selected Specialized dealers and get a custom thermo-molded insert. All the other major brands have similar options. Or just buy a third party insert from a shoe store or athletic store and experiment. Many, many options.

As far as overall comfort; good socks, practice fitting the correct shoe and setting up the cinch just right has made shoe comfort issues a thing of the past for me. Reference -- I'm using Specialized Torch 2.0 and a Body Geometry Red insert.

Last edited by cybirr; 07-25-20 at 07:10 PM.
Old 07-25-20, 07:08 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I have knit running shoes. Love those things, they're incredibly comfortable, and great in the water too.
Likes For Seattle Forrest: