Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Mystery hubs and langster year help?

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 07-21-20, 07:22 PM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 147 Posts

Can someone help ID hubs and possible bike year? Has upgraded Forte Axis front fork. Loose bearing hubs that came on a set of DEEP V wheels that came on a langster I bought. Paid $75 for the whole shebang.

Old 07-21-20, 07:26 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
Those are Pure Fix hubs/wheels. They're basically garbage.
Old 07-21-20, 07:36 PM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla
Those are Pure Fix hubs/wheels. They're basically garbage.
Ugh. That was my fear. TY for the prompt response.
Old 07-24-20, 07:35 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Quoted: 2670 Post(s)
Liked 1,149 Times in 871 Posts
^^^^ i think you got a bargain deal > you can always pick up used wheels for the gator skins and you are good to go fixed or SS
Old 07-25-20, 04:38 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 749 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by jack pot
^^^^ i think you got a bargain deal > you can always pick up used wheels for the gator skins and you are good to go fixed or SS
I would probably ride those wheels till they fell off the bike. Can't beat $75 for a working bike. As long as they spin freely, I would just keep riding and enjoy. Fork is decent btw, got the same one on my Kilo TT. Definitely add a front brake, having just a rear brake is questionable from a safety perspective.

Dave

Dave

Last edited by bonsai171; 07-25-20 at 04:44 PM.
Old 07-25-20, 10:27 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Originally Posted by bonsai171
I would probably ride those wheels till they fell off the bike. Can't beat $75 for a working bike. As long as they spin freely, I would just keep riding and enjoy. Fork is decent btw, got the same one on my Kilo TT. Definitely add a front brake, having just a rear brake is questionable from a safety perspective.

Dave

Dave
I would agree with Dave for the most part. Ride those wheels into the ground (which may not take long) and get a front brake and you're off. If you don't want to spend a ton of money then spend it on really excellent brake pads, cables and housing and run the bike till it don't go no mo' and have money saved up for something new.

My Langster plans changed drastically when the bottom bracket on mine cracked so they sent me a new one but since I was already planning on upgrading I got all the upgrade parts and put it on the new bike till I decide I want to upgrade the frame which so far isn't on the docket. For reference: https://www.pedalroom.com/bike/speci...ot-stock-41417

Keep in mind though I went pretty full bling on it but when I do have the extra cash around I will probably be looking to the Don for something nice or possibly No.22 (if I can get the Great Divide with track ends, I am gold the geo looks right for a fixed gear road bike)
Old 07-26-20, 05:24 AM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 749 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I would agree with Dave for the most part. Ride those wheels into the ground (which may not take long) and get a front brake and you're off. If you don't want to spend a ton of money then spend it on really excellent brake pads, cables and housing and run the bike till it don't go no mo' and have money saved up for something new.

My Langster plans changed drastically when the bottom bracket on mine cracked so they sent me a new one but since I was already planning on upgrading I got all the upgrade parts and put it on the new bike till I decide I want to upgrade the frame which so far isn't on the docket. For reference: https://www.pedalroom.com/bike/speci...ot-stock-41417

Keep in mind though I went pretty full bling on it but when I do have the extra cash around I will probably be looking to the Don for something nice or possibly No.22 (if I can get the Great Divide with track ends, I am gold the geo looks right for a fixed gear road bike)
Like that Langster in your link, what does it weigh in at?

+1 for good brake pads. I run Shimano 105 on the road bike, and they are not my fav. Got Kool stops on the Kilo TT. They bring the bike to a stop in a hurry, and aren't as susceptible to getting the tiny little shards of aluminum you have to pick out of the pads from time to time. They also seem to last forever, haven't worn out a set yet in over 2 years.

One thing I didn't mention, you are very lucky to have 2 bottle cages on the frameset. This is a luxury for track bikes as many of us are using aftermarket products (like Velcro water bottle cages) to carry water bottles.

Dave
Old 07-26-20, 06:51 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Originally Posted by bonsai171
Like that Langster in your link, what does it weigh in at?

+1 for good brake pads. I run Shimano 105 on the road bike, and they are not my fav. Got Kool stops on the Kilo TT. They bring the bike to a stop in a hurry, and aren't as susceptible to getting the tiny little shards of aluminum you have to pick out of the pads from time to time. They also seem to last forever, haven't worn out a set yet in over 2 years.

One thing I didn't mention, you are very lucky to have 2 bottle cages on the frameset. This is a luxury for track bikes as many of us are using aftermarket products (like Velcro water bottle cages) to carry water bottles.

Dave
Thanks it is a fun bike. I believe mine is around 17lbs but I haven't put it to a scale so that could be off. I will have to weigh it sometime.

Yeah track bikes aren't great for bottle cages but losing a bottle on the track could be deadly and track events are generally short (minus hour record). I am not on the track so I want something for the road with bottle cage mounts and brake bosses.