Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Pine Creek Trail, aka Pennsylvania Grand Canyon

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-20, 07:08 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts

Not an epic journey this week, but a real workout for me, given the heat and the rain. My Mule carried me 110 miles over two days and one night camping in the beautiful PA woods. More info at The Mule does it again. NOTE: you MUST carry a water filter. All the hydrants provide murky water that is questionable.

Likes For Prowler:
Old 07-31-20, 09:21 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18398 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
I rode it from Ansonia, where US 6 crosses it, to the southern terminus in Jersey Shore in 2017 during a cross-PA tour. Saw a bear the first day. Camped off the trail a bit north of Waterville. Hope you stopped for a sandwich at Wolfe’s in Slate Run. They are to die for.

BTW...It’s pronounced tee-uh-dot-un. My employer donated that abandoned line for the trail, but that was before my employ. There’s actually an interesting story behind the abandonment. A story about infighting among two railroad executives, but I won’t bore you all with it.

Last edited by indyfabz; 07-31-20 at 09:33 AM.
Old 07-31-20, 11:43 AM
axolotl

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 88 Posts
I had been wanting to ride the Pine Creek Trail for a long time, and I finally rode it last September. Lovely trail with excellent scenery and a nice surface. I know that the area is often referred to as "Pennsylvania's Grand Canyon" but I would describe the landscape as densely wooded rounded hills as opposed to a canyon. There were lots of signs warning of rattlesnakes in the north-central trail area between Blackwell Access Area & Tiadaghton. I don't know if it's more likely to see rattlers there in September, but I did indeed see Timber rattlesnakes in that area. Just south of Blackwell is a spot called "Rattlesnake Rock". The sign explaining the history of the name is interesting. I also saw a black bear near Blackwell.

The PA Dept. of Conservation and Natural Resources produces a very nice map and brochure of the trail. Most trailheads had free hard-copies available.

https://192.34.61.137/wp-content/uplo...rail_trail.pdf
(this link only shows the northern half of the trail)
Southern half of trail:
https://elibrary.dcnr.pa.gov/GetDocum...rail-South.pdf

Real Taste Taqueria in Jersey Shore near the southern terminus of the trail has extremely good Mexican food.

Last edited by axolotl; 07-31-20 at 11:54 AM. Reason: added link for southern half of trail
Old 07-31-20, 12:32 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
My employer donated that abandoned line for the trail, but that was before my employ. There’s actually an interesting story behind the abandonment. A story about infighting among two railroad executives, but I won’t bore you all with it.
Railroads, interesting story, WFH... Do tell!
Old 07-31-20, 02:12 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18398 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by axolotl
I had been wanting to ride the Pine Creek Trail for a long time, and I finally rode it last September. Lovely trail with excellent scenery and a nice surface. I know that the area is often referred to as "Pennsylvania's Grand Canyon" but I would describe the landscape as densely wooded rounded hills as opposed to a canyon. There were lots of signs warning of rattlesnakes in the north-central trail area between Blackwell Access Area & Tiadaghton. I don't know if it's more likely to see rattlers there in September, but I did indeed see Timber rattlesnakes in that area. Just south of Blackwell is a spot called "Rattlesnake Rock".
If you go to the state park south of Wellsboro you can see the canyon formed by Pine Creek. There’s an observation platform. Calling the canyon “grand” is a stretch, but it is a pretty steep drop down in that area. Between Blackwell and Ansonia there is a nice hiking trail on the west rim called, believe it or not, the West Rim Trail. Makes for a nice three-day trip. Good for beginners as there are only two extended, steep hills. Pine Creek Outfitters in Ansonia offers shuttles for cycling, hiking and canoeing. They also do rentals. When I used them for a hike shuttle back in the mid-2000s I discovered that the then owner once lived a few blocks away from where I grew up in Philadelphia, though we didn’t know each other. He was a grant writer for the region’s transportation authority. Got tired of the rat race, saw the business for sale and bought it. I think his family may run it now.

As for rattlers, there is at least one yearly catch and release roundup in the area.
Old 07-31-20, 02:29 PM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Nice! Did you ride directly from your home?
Old 07-31-20, 08:02 PM
Chris!

Bikes: Jamis renegade, surly big dummy, giant talon 29er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
I did a loop starting on the norther end tode to jersey shore then cut west and back north on gravel roads through state forest. Love this area for biking and hiking alike.
Old 08-05-20, 05:16 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
A few years ago my wife and did "hub and spoke" touring of that trail, staying in Wellsboro. Really enjoyed the riding and hiking the Turkey Path up to the stunning view point.