Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Newbie looking for advice on first bike in 30 years!

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-20, 04:54 PM
GeoGoGo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi Everyone!

My name is George and I am looking to get into casual biking with my wife. I found a couple old department store bikes in the garage, pumped up the tires and rode around for the first time in 30 years!

I would like to get us a pair of decent bikes for fun and exercise. We live in a rural area and there are bike paths going up all around us; it seems like a good time to begin using them!

Of the the two bikes, one was a mountain bike and the other was 7 speed cruiser/comfort bike. I have decided that I like the more up right positioning of the comfort/hybrid. We will be mainly on paved paths with some minor off road riding.

I am looking for some ideas, thoughts, suggestions, or input. I have been trying to research but there is so much info, I feel like I am drinking from a fire hose.

I have been looking a lot at the Giant Sedona. Something about it, I like the way it looks. Its upright riding position, the rather meaty tires. Is the front suspension fork a big deal for what the type of riding we would be doing?

Thank you all for the time! Have a wonderful day and stay safe!

Respectfully,
George D.
Old 08-11-20, 05:23 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
Hi George.....glad you found this great site to hang out and share your experiences.

I'm sure the Giant Sedona will serve you well but to answer one of your questions....no, I wouldn't be concerned about a suspension fork for your riding style.
I'm not a fan of suspension forks on bikes designed for casual riding. They just add weight and the quality of entry level shocks are questionable. You're better off putting that money towards upgrading components and/or accessories.

If you like the up right position don't miss out on the Cruiser Section. There are some nice 3 and 7spd bikes that may suit your Lifestyle. Sometimes Less is Better.

Good luck and Ride Safe.....Don't forget to post pics of you new bike!
Likes For Speedway2:
Old 08-11-20, 05:24 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
If you actually found a bike that is available for sale immediately count your blessings! Read the many posts by new riders who go out looking for a decent bike and find nothing available. Pay attention to the bike weight. Lighter bikes are easier to pedal than a heavy beast. Front suspension on an entry level bike is there more as a selling point than a useful part. Get one with a regular non-suspended fork if you can. I haven't owned anything with less than 10 speeds in decades. Enough choices make it easier to find a gear that gives you a good cadence rather than spinning like mad or mashing up a hill.
Likes For VegasTriker:
Old 08-11-20, 05:28 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Have a Giant Brand bike dealer in your town, to take a test ride? or you just looking online?

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/sedona
Old 08-11-20, 05:42 PM
GeoGoGo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Have a Giant Brand bike dealer in your town, to take a test ride? or you just looking online?

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/sedona
HI Bob!

I just searched and found I have a Giant dealer a reasonable distance away. I hope to be checking them out soon!

Thank you for the info!
Old 08-12-20, 01:14 PM
GeoGoGo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So what is your opinion on the Giant Sedona? Pros and cons? Other (better) options? Looking at $500 range.

Thank you all for the input! Have a great day! Stay safe!

Respectfully
George D.
​​​
Old 08-12-20, 06:37 PM
Toespeas

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 41 Posts
if you dont have any major needs of the bike any bike will work for you if it fits and you like it , a suspension fork will just take away from your road efficiency and add off road efficiency , but im sure you could just ride the surfaces you want without any major difficulty , i obsess of efficiency so i have to have the perfect bike wheel and tire combos for each ride i do , even its all pavement i will switch my cassettes and rings so it matches the elevation
Old 08-12-20, 08:12 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9648 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
My wife and I bought Sirrus 4.0s a little over a month ago. They are more “fitness” hybrids rather than casual cruisers. My wife was unsure at first because she pictured herself a casual cruiser. Now she is stoked, and loves her bike. They are quick and responsive, and easy to ride fast. We are now riding 2 to 3 days per week even though temps are in the 90s - 100s. We are having a blast. You might check out some of those. Giant and others make an equivalent.