Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

But I'm Still Thankful

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

But I'm Still Thankful

Old 11-22-18, 11:27 AM
blowboat

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
But I'm Still Thankful

This is sort of a bicycle touring post...In the spirit of nothing much money, doing some repair work after a hurricane, and "ride what you have" I have been searching for some pannier racks for an old Trek bike (that I rebuilt several years ago. Originally I built it up to be a gravel bike, but then we moved and there are no gravel roads near by...so I was gonna enter the world of bicycle touring with it instead. I have basically collected and gathered the necessary gear to begin, other than the pannier racks. Had planned on doing some short overnight trips until I can sell my motorcycle and get ma a new bike.

Well...since hurricane Florence the bike has been in my carport waiting on me to overhaul the bottom bracket. Went out to day to check on the turkey and low and behold...IT HAS BEEN STOLEN! I probably have less than $300 dollars in the bike, so the money for that particular bike isn't the real issue...other than right now we have too many things going on financially for me to get a new bike. Fortunately it was not my good road bike (which compared to many folks is not all that expensive either).

But our son is home...as is our daughter (who is expecting our first grandchild) and son-in-law...so it is a HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

Be safe everyone...and lock those bikes up!
Old 11-22-18, 04:18 PM
bmcgov1209

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bummer that your bike got stolen. Glad you're in good spirits. Have a wonderful holiday with your family!
Old 11-23-18, 10:21 AM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Bike thieves go to a special corner of Hell where the flames are especially hot.

-Kedosto
Old 11-24-18, 12:39 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by Kedosto
Bike thieves go to a special corner of Hell where the flames are especially hot.

-Kedosto
You got that right. There's also a special place in Hell, for sleeping bag thieves. 😒 Lost both back in Pueblo, CO. A veritable den of thieves. Only place in that state I had trouble, but I sure found it there.
Old 11-24-18, 07:51 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Unfortunately thieves are everywhere and are opportunists.

I lost a fully loaded tour bike out of a locked garage 3 weeks prior to a trans continental tour back in 77. Managed to cobble together a working bike and did the tour anyway. Life is about the journey not the equipment!

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon