Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Replacing Rusted Drivetrain on Single Speed Bike - Need Help!

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 04-19-20, 06:20 PM
ginodoncaster

Bikes: 2012 Bianchi Pista Dalmine

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey!

I own a Bianchi Pista Dalmine (Single Speed) bicycle and I am looking to replace the rusted drivetrain components.

Here are the original bike specs:
  • CRANKSET: Truvativ TOURO Track 1.1 48T
  • CHAIN: KMC Z610H, blue
  • CASSETTE: Shimano SS-7600 fixed & freewheel, 16T
I am unable to post photos, since I just joined the forum but I was hoping to receive guidance. For example:
  • Should I replace the crankset, chain and cassette? I believe all three components should be replaced at the same time.
  • Can I keep the existing pedals and attach a new 16T sprocket?
  • Which tools do I need to complete the job? A wrench/spanner, freewheel remover, etc?
Hopefully I can share images via direct message, since this is the first time I am working on my bike.

Thanks!
Old 04-19-20, 06:28 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1155 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 392 Posts
Why don't you try lubing the chain, after wire-brushing off what rust you can from the drivetrain, and see how things work out? Minor surface rust may not warrant complete replacement.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 04-19-20, 08:33 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1093 Post(s)
Liked 282 Times in 221 Posts
That crank should last through a half dozen cassettes.
You have 3X the teeth to share the wear and since you have more teeth to share the load, the individual tooth wear should be significantly less.
A chain & cassette might make sense.
When chain reaches 1/16" "stretch" in 12", replace. I try to measure a 3' length for better resolution.
Old 04-19-20, 08:47 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Raleigh Pro, Trek Cycle Cross, Mongoose tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder

Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked 566 Times in 437 Posts
As mentioned the crank arms should not be rusty as they are, I believe, Al not steel. But the ring bolts are likely steel. Ring bolts are cheap to replace (our shop has a big bag of used take offs to sort through for very little). It is possible that the ring is steel but it too is easy to replace (if needed due to wear or rust), just make sure the width matches the rest of the system. Your rear cogs are not a cassette but most likely a thread on freewheel and a thread on fixed cog. The freewheel can very well be rust infected so that even dripping oils through it won't make it better. But the fixed cog has no moving parts to freeze up due to rust. Still if you replace the chain consider replacing the rear cog/FW as new chains most like new teeth.

I would also be concerned about the condition of the bearings in the wheels, Bb and headset (pedals too) as the exposure to rain/spray/salt will rust and/or wash out the OEM grease. Check out the Park Big Blu Book or Sheldon Brown's site for more info about tools and procedures. Andy
Old 04-20-20, 10:16 AM
ginodoncaster

Bikes: 2012 Bianchi Pista Dalmine

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for your feedback!

The chain and the flip flop hub have accrued the most rust.

I will check out Park Big Blu Book and Sheldon Brown's website.
Old 04-20-20, 11:08 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5527 Post(s)
Liked 1,262 Times in 663 Posts
I often just marinate chain and cog (if steel), eliminate any stiff links. PB blaster the chainring bolts, and crankbolts to get them marinating. If really bad, a couple of applications on consecutive days may be in order. Measure chain to check if replacement needed, if OK, and no deep pitting, only replace for aesthetic reasons. Repack hub, headset and bottom bracket bearings (assuming cup and cone bearings).

Oh, I see you mentioned cassette. Is it infact a single speed cassette, or a singlespeed screw-on freewheel. I'd just replace the freewheel. Beware of some lowend BMX freewheels, as they can be difficult to remove once installed.