Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What's your favorite crankset?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 05-03-20, 10:11 PM
adlai

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 34 Posts

Any reason to go outside of Shimano except cost?
Old 05-04-20, 08:07 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 128 Posts
The one that doesn't give me a reason to notice it. I've had several different brands that served their purpose.

If you like Shimano, the answer for you is no.
Old 05-04-20, 08:21 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I'm not entirely sure how it happened, but I'm a Rotor guy. So stiff.

But if a bike came with an Ultegra crankset on it, would I rush out to put a Rotor on it? Probably not.
Old 05-04-20, 09:03 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
Besides cost, some cranks look cooler but for any given msrp price point I don't think any one brand truly excels. I swapped out one crank that was ok for an FSA gossamer pro that was 200g lighter and stiffer then what I had and came with more optimal chainrings. With it being on sale for only 60.00 that was a no brainer, only other reasons I ever replaced a crank was damage to the original or a complete groupset swap.
Old 05-04-20, 09:36 PM
SlvrDragon50

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
I'm not entirely sure how it happened, but I'm a Rotor guy. So stiff.

But if a bike came with an Ultegra crankset on it, would I rush out to put a Rotor on it? Probably not.
Ever since you linked me that Rotor 3D, the thought of upgrading my crank to a Rotor or Praxis just lingers in the back of my head... watching a few on eBay now
Old 05-04-20, 09:44 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
My favorite crankset of all time would probably be the Phil Wood Track crank or the Super Sugino 75 DD crank. If I was looking beyond track cranks the White Industries GR30 is a favorite and the Cook Bros Dogbone cranks are super sexy. Also on that list are Kooka (rasta anodized please), the new Cane Creek eeWings cranks and Old Campy cranks (Nuovo Record)

Though I have Shimano cranks on 5 or 6 bikes at least so no issues there. I will say I would love to swap to the eeWings on my Ti MTB which currently has SLX but only because they are titanium not because of issue with Shimano.

I should note most of my decisions are aesthetic because that is what makes most of these my favorite, they look nice. They also tend to have decent performance if not top notch performance but really it is looks on this on.
Old 05-05-20, 02:54 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by adlai
Any reason to go outside of Shimano except cost?
My answer would be 'absolutely' on the basis that I find the Shimano cranksets hideous. None of them are exactly pretty nowadays, sadly, but I think my SRAM Force crankset is much better looking than an Ultegra one. The prettiest one I own is a Campagnolo Chorus crankset dating from somewhere around 1998. Aesthetics are important to me; I'm happy with stuff that looks merely functional but when it descends into horrible it's got to go. Beauty is, of course, in the eye of the beholder so I assume that whoever designed the current range of Shimano gear thought it looked good.
Old 05-05-20, 06:55 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I've recently liked the looks of the FSA Gimondi crank set. For modern production, it has classic lines. Affordable, too.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 05-05-20, 07:22 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
I've recently liked the looks of the FSA Gimondi crank set. For modern production, it has classic lines. Affordable, too.
Yup, that's a pretty crankset.
Old 05-05-20, 08:11 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Praxis Zayante. 5 arm design, easy to install, quick shifts. And it comes in many gear combinations so I have it on a road bike and my gravel bike.
Old 05-05-20, 08:48 AM
SlvrDragon50

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Praxis Zayante. 5 arm design, easy to install, quick shifts. And it comes in many gear combinations so I have it on a road bike and my gravel bike.
Well, fate decided for me. I just got a Praxis Zayante w/ BSA BB for $110 shipped! Goodbye FSA Gossamer, even though I just bought a brand new Shimano BBR60 and 2 BB tools to change it out!
Old 05-05-20, 10:37 AM
monkeytusmc 

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie SS, Colnago C40 B-Stay Mapei, 2013 Greg Lemond Commemorative TDF 90 (#55 of 100), 1992 Greg Lemond Team Z, Dario Pegoretti Marcelo "Why Not?", (2) x Zunow Road Bike

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
i may be the minority here, but i enjoy SRAM cranksets. I like the way they look and they function as any other crankset. I have seen one of the new Shimano cranksets fail out on a ride. I have heard of a couple other ones also.
Old 05-05-20, 12:00 PM
adlai

So I've spent some time researching and the results are that older and cheaper cranksets use steel, which has a weight penalty vs alu, but more significantly imo has a tendency to get bent while aluminum seems to resist bending.

Steel may resist wear to chainring teeth better.

7075 alloy alu appears to be the best material for use in chainrings.

As I am looking for parts for an 8 speed bike, most 8 speed cranksets use cheap steel, and it is hard to tell what a crankset uses.

The eclypse r9 crankset has caught my interest because it uses 7075 alu
Old 05-06-20, 12:46 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts

As I am looking for parts for an 8 speed bike, most 8 speed cranksets use cheap steel, and it is hard to tell what a crankset uses.
Besides 8-sp compatibility (9-sp works fine, too)
What kind of crank are you looking for? MTB triple? 53-42 Road Double? Compact? Half-step? Potential big or small ring sizes?
Modern or ‘classic’ aesthetic? Black or silver?

Typically brand new 8-speed cranks will be intended for the lower level groups, so they’ll be heavier cast arms with steel rings.
You could also go with an older higher level crank, and fit it with new rings, since using a new high end crank may require updating the BB as well.
Old 05-06-20, 06:17 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
...The eclypse r9 crankset has caught my interest because it uses 7075 alu
You know about this, right?

"Bottom Bracket: JIS 110mm (47.5mm chainline)."
Old 05-06-20, 07:42 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1751 Post(s)
Liked 1,422 Times in 973 Posts
From an aesthetic viewpoint, I've got an old Sakae crank on an old Schwinn LeTour III I rehab'd, looks something like the one Phil Gretz posted above Not a lot of cool features, just a simple and clean looking crank.

From a mechanical view: Square-taper bottom brackets and cranks. Easy to remove/replace. The mechanical unit is a sealed cartridge, so easy screw-out/screw-in replacement when it goes bad (do they ever?), and you can buy them in varying qualities depending if its for your classic roadie or an urban 'beater' bicycle.
Old 05-06-20, 10:51 AM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 817 Times in 420 Posts
i didn't know FSA made a retro looking crank like that. Its a nice look. I have an FSA Gossamer triple on my Roubaix, that is chrome with gunmetal chainrings, but I like the classic look of yours. My all time favorite is the classic Campagnolo, but the large diameter BCD, limits chainring choices.

Classic Campagnolo, my all time favorite

Another classic Campy on the left, Stronglight TS, (my least favorite) center, Sugino GT on the right, another favorite.

I picked up this Stronglight 99, with drilled rings at last year's Eroica, and like it very much too.

I've been very happy with the looks and performance of this Sugino AT triple. Lots of great choices out there.

Last edited by Slightspeed; 05-06-20 at 11:00 AM.
Likes For Slightspeed:
Old 05-06-20, 08:16 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by monkeytusmc
i may be the minority here, but i enjoy SRAM cranksets. I like the way they look and they function as any other crankset. I have seen one of the new Shimano cranksets fail out on a ride. I have heard of a couple other ones also.
Curious if everything was installed correctly. I am sure a lot of folks don't actually torque their cranks to spec or install them properly. I have never had a Shimano crankset fall out on a ride. I did have a Sugino 75 DD crank arm come a little loose while riding as I was just getting close to home but I since reinstalled everything and torqued it properly to spec and it hasn't moved. I installed the crankset a long time ago and didn't actually finish the bike for quite a while and probably forgot to check it before finishing the bike which was on me and not a fault of the crankset.
Old 05-08-20, 12:15 AM
monkeytusmc 

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie SS, Colnago C40 B-Stay Mapei, 2013 Greg Lemond Commemorative TDF 90 (#55 of 100), 1992 Greg Lemond Team Z, Dario Pegoretti Marcelo "Why Not?", (2) x Zunow Road Bike

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Curious if everything was installed correctly. I am sure a lot of folks don't actually torque their cranks to spec or install them properly. I have never had a Shimano crankset fall out on a ride. I did have a Sugino 75 DD crank arm come a little loose while riding as I was just getting close to home but I since reinstalled everything and torqued it properly to spec and it hasn't moved. I installed the crankset a long time ago and didn't actually finish the bike for quite a while and probably forgot to check it before finishing the bike which was on me and not a fault of the crankset.
I would say it was installed correctly. this happened after a couple 1000 miles on an ultegra crankset on an uphill climb. broke halfway across on the drive side arm.
Old 05-08-20, 01:47 AM
adlai

You know about this, right?

"Bottom Bracket: JIS 110mm (47.5mm chainline)."
thanks.

oddly enough, my order for a Shimano un55 bb was cancelled by the seller because they say that their supply was defective.

I wonder if all un55 bb are defective. If so, what other bb brand to get?
Old 05-08-20, 07:31 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by monkeytusmc
I would say it was installed correctly. this happened after a couple 1000 miles on an ultegra crankset on an uphill climb. broke halfway across on the drive side arm.
Was it a larger rider? Are they a hard rider? Any material has a fatigue limit so maybe this person hit theirs or maybe it was a defect or maybe they are a torque monster or shifting under load. So many different factors that could cause issue.
Old 05-09-20, 03:35 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
That looks alot like my 1970s Sugino Mighty Competition. In other words, GREAT!

Still prefer silver components.
Old 05-09-20, 08:21 PM
SlvrDragon50

Just got my Praxis Zayante. Looks gorgeous compared to my FSA Gossamer. Excited to try it out tomorrow!
Old 05-10-20, 06:04 PM
SlvrDragon50

Wow, just tried out the Zayante. Didn't think it would actually be noticeable, but high resistance pedaling is noticeably easier! Appreciate DrIsotope for planting the thought in my mind hah.