Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Anyone here ever had a Frozen Shoulder?

Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Old 07-13-20, 02:37 PM
RockiesDad

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 17 Posts

Medical term is called adhesive capsulitis. This is where your shoulder looses it flexibility and gets very painful when trying to rotate your arm. Fortunately it does not hurt while riding but the shoulder does feel a little bit tired after awhile. I'm doing physical therapy for it and it seems to be getting better but very slowly.Just wondering if anyone else here had it and how long did it last. I heard it will take quite awhile but not sure what that is or how much mobility you can get back. This all happened around the time we went into shut down and not moving around a lot. Also it affects us senior citizens more often than not.

Sucks getting old...
Old 07-13-20, 02:49 PM
pennstater

Bikes: Look 765 Gravel RS, Lynskey Cooper CX, Lynskey R260

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Took about a month to subside with weight training.
Old 07-13-20, 03:04 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
When I was young, I got the cold shoulder from a few girls. Probably not the same thing tho.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 07-13-20, 05:44 PM
rayman54

Bikes: 2014 Cervelo S3 Ultegra 2012 TREK Superfly 29'r FS 2012 Cervelo S5 Rival w/FLO 60's - 07 TREK Pilot 2.1 triple

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 10 Posts
I’m 66. I had adhesive capsulitis in both shoulders. I did all the therapies but had only marginal success. I finally had cortisone shots in both shoulders simultaneously. That along with the continued therapy finally “cured” me of the condition. I had it for well over a year, and at one point it was unbearable at night. So much so I had to sleep in a chair.

Good luck!

Originally Posted by RockiesDad
Medical term is called adhesive capsulitis. This is where your shoulder looses it flexibility and gets very painful when trying to rotate your arm. Fortunately it does not hurt while riding but the shoulder does feel a little bit tired after awhile. I'm doing physical therapy for it and it seems to be getting better but very slowly.Just wondering if anyone else here had it and how long did it last. I heard it will take quite awhile but not sure what that is or how much mobility you can get back. This all happened around the time we went into shut down and not moving around a lot. Also it affects us senior citizens more often than not.

Sucks getting old...
Old 07-13-20, 06:41 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Is it typically in the shoulder, or in the upper arm? I have had A LOT of pain in my upper arm for several months and I can't relate it to any particular incident. I re-injure it just about every day simply by lifting my arm or reaching for something behind my back, though. I can't help you. but please tell me more!
Old 07-13-20, 06:57 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
Is it typically in the shoulder, or in the upper arm? I have had A LOT of pain in my upper arm for several months and I can't relate it to any particular incident. I re-injure it just about every day simply by lifting my arm or reaching for something behind my back, though. I can't help you. but please tell me more!
You may have my current condition, which is a partial tear of one of the tendons in the rotator cuff set. I put my younger son through his Doctor of Physical Therapy degree, and now it's payback time. Seriously, he was able to size up my problem and recommend a series of exercises. It seems to be improving, but it is, as you note, extremely easy to re-injure or re-aggravate it.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 07-14-20, 06:25 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts

Sucks getting old...
Cycling buddy suffered long enough and decided to see shoulder ortho after self diagnosis and internet treatment. First "expert" tried and failed but second "expert" knew exactly what he needed. Second ortho had 11 years with Cincinnati Reds. He did some "in shop" manipulations and then therapy instructions = problem solved. I found out after telling buddy about my shoulder issues. Turns out his "first expert" was also an "expert" I saw but chose to do nothing. When he mentioned his "second expert" I went to him and he installed a complete right shoulder on a Monday afternoon. Had to see the PT on Tuesday afternoon at which time the sling was removed and he had me move my arm then gave me specific range of motion limits and I was cleared to ride the bike on Wednesday if I wanted. I held off until Thursday and rode 20 miles without issues. This was in August 2016 and I was 66yo and then in September I rode Six Gap, also without issues.

The right ortho could help resolve your issue.
Old 07-14-20, 10:10 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
I had a frozen shoulder about six years ago. From a rotator cuff that I badly strained or might even have torn and never had it looked at till over six months later and I couldn't lift my arm very much above my waist when going straight out from the side.

Physical therapy was slow. However the times I made major improvements was when the male PT dude did the stretching of my shoulder muscles and joint. As long as I held in the appearance of pain from him, he'd keep stretching. At some point there would be a burst of pain and it felt like a bunch of stretched rubber bands stuck together inside had just separated from each other. Immediately afterward there was no pain and I had a significant amount of motion back.

The female PT's either couldn't or wouldn't stretch me to that point. However after 3 or 4 such experiences with the male PT and about two maybe three month of twice weekly visits, my shoulder has full motion and has not bothered me since.

Maybe I'm an extreme example with the stretching through pain thing, I'm sure if I'd kept doing the PT exercises and was just stretched to the extent the other PT's were willing to go, I would still have fully recovered. However it wouldn't have been before my insurance quit paying.

I do agree --
​​​​​​​Sucks getting old...

Last edited by Iride01; 07-14-20 at 10:17 AM.
Old 07-14-20, 03:18 PM
RockiesDad

Originally Posted by Iride01
I had a frozen shoulder about six years ago. From a rotator cuff that I badly strained or might even have torn and never had it looked at till over six months later and I couldn't lift my arm very much above my waist when going straight out from the side.

Physical therapy was slow. However the times I made major improvements was when the male PT dude did the stretching of my shoulder muscles and joint. As long as I held in the appearance of pain from him, he'd keep stretching. At some point there would be a burst of pain and it felt like a bunch of stretched rubber bands stuck together inside had just separated from each other. Immediately afterward there was no pain and I had a significant amount of motion back.

The female PT's either couldn't or wouldn't stretch me to that point. However after 3 or 4 such experiences with the male PT and about two maybe three month of twice weekly visits, my shoulder has full motion and has not bothered me since.

Maybe I'm an extreme example with the stretching through pain thing, I'm sure if I'd kept doing the PT exercises and was just stretched to the extent the other PT's were willing to go, I would still have fully recovered. However it wouldn't have been before my insurance quit paying.

I do agree --
Had to decide whether to see a MD, chiropractor or acupuncture. MD would probably tell me to go to PT. Acupuncture office was closed for now. Ended up with PT from chiropractor. This dude it bigger than me and stretches my arm to the point of excruciating pain (maybe 8-9) and a little bit more. I'm pretty whipped after coming out of his office. Been doing this about five sessions so far. Finally showing some significant improvements. Will continue with a few more sessions to see how far I can go. Sounds like there is light at the end of the tunnel...

Wondering if I should just have taken a shot of steroids and be done with it. But this maybe only temporary without fixing the real issue of muscle and tissue damage.
Old 07-14-20, 03:28 PM
RockiesDad

Originally Posted by Papa Tom
It's both since they are connected. It also sort of crept up on me also. They say it starts to freeze before it gets frozen. Started by feeling a bit tired in the shoulder area and then started hurting when I slept on that size. Then I couldn't lift my arm to the side without feeling really sharp pains that would linger a couple of seconds. A sharp jolt would send me though the roof in pain. Couldn't tough it out any longer and when to a chiropractor. Not sure if a MD is better. Your choice here.But it happens more frequently as we get older for some reason.

You should go have it check out. Its not going to get any better without some kind of stretching movements of the muscle, tendons and ligaments. Good luck...
Old 07-14-20, 08:12 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
I've had it. Did PT but it kind of worked itself out on it's own. Apparently that's a lot of how this goes according to my PT. Part of the "getting older just sucks" lesson that you get to re-learn so often over 50.
Old 07-15-20, 08:26 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Yeah, I have pain in my shoulder, neck and back from multiple injuries, including being hit by a car in 2018. Takes daily exercise to keep things reasonably limber. At a minimum I do range of motion exercises every day, sometimes several times a day. Body weight exercises and limited lifting at home. Massage and topical analgesics.

I tried chiropractors but it was a waste of time for me. Some folks seem to get some benefit. I never did.

I might try a good massage therapist if I can find one willing to work through the pandemic precautions. Should be workable with reasonable precautions. My shoulder muscles still get locked into spasms and it's difficult to reach even with a long handled percussion massager.
Old 07-15-20, 09:14 AM
Senior Vagabond
Senior

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I woke up one morning over 4 years ago with shoulder pain and limited range of motion. After about a month I went to ortho who diagnosed it has frozen shoulder. Had cortisone and about 3 months of PT which seemed to do the job. Now I have torn RC's and other small tears in bicep which is a completely different situation but still riding.
Old 07-15-20, 10:16 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Had to decide whether to see a MD, chiropractor or acupuncture. MD would probably tell me to go to PT. Acupuncture office was closed for now. Ended up with PT from chiropractor. This dude it bigger than me and stretches my arm to the point of excruciating pain (maybe 8-9) and a little bit more. I'm pretty whipped after coming out of his office. Been doing this about five sessions so far. Finally showing some significant improvements. Will continue with a few more sessions to see how far I can go. Sounds like there is light at the end of the tunnel...

Wondering if I should just have taken a shot of steroids and be done with it. But this maybe only temporary without fixing the real issue of muscle and tissue damage.
You did go to an orthopedic surgeon first didn't you? That was my first step. He had an MRI and X-rays performed, showed me what the issue was and explained why after 6 months of waiting before coming to him that PT would be all I needed.

The male PT person I mentioned was actually a DPT. (doctorate of physical therapy).I recommend you ensure that any PT you use is appropriately certified.

As for steroids. it's my understanding that they don't really help you heal from this. Might help with some of the pain. I didn't do anything but the PT after the visit to the doctor.

Solving the pain won't get your mobility back for that arm.

Last edited by Iride01; 07-15-20 at 10:20 AM.
Old 07-15-20, 11:04 AM
Senior Vagabond
Senior

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Cortisone (steroids) will have NO healing properties. However they can be a good temporary remedy for joint and muscle pain. Everyone can respond to their effectiveness differently. I took cortisone injections in my knees for 8 years before finally getting them replaced. I now take them in my shoulders and toes but again they do nothing to long term resolve the underlying problem.
Likes For Senior Vagabond:
Old 07-15-20, 06:37 PM
cybirr 
Beer & Bikes

Bikes: '20 Specialized Roubaix Expert, '20 Specialized Shiv Elite, '13 Specialized S-Works Epic

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 36 Posts
Went through this myself. Absolutely awful this adhesive capsulitis. Injections helped, time was the only cure though.
Old 07-17-20, 06:58 AM
dmanders

Bikes: 14 F8, 21 F12

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts
Physical Therapy worked for me, along with doing the exercises given by the PT. Long and slow process. Sure beats the alternative - surgery.
Old 07-20-20, 01:48 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
I had it twice, reallty painful. First time I was about to leave on a trip and basically would not have been to function, so my ortho guy gave me a cortisone shot. The pain actually got WORSE initially after the shot (apparently as the cortisone "crystallizes" or something..) but then I got relief pretty quickly.
I try to avoid cortisone shots 'cause they can lead to the tissue being degraded but man, I couldn't move.

Happened to me a second time, opposite shoulder, and I went to a myofascial release therapist and I walked out pain-free after one 45 min session. Has never returned, as long as I keep up with my stretching, foam rolling, etc.
Old 10-09-20, 03:09 PM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
Saw the quack about that some years ago now; I seemed to get it using a certain machine at the gym; it'd happened twice without even a heavy load. You're sat down. Your lower arms are cranked, vertical in line with your body and are pushing cushioned pads forwards which presumably is beneficial for the shoulders and chest muscles.
It's an easy exercise. First time I felt something go, so I let up and did other unrelated stuff.
Next day, I saw the doc; it was that bad.
Couldn't offer me surgery, I was too old for a good result, so physio sorted out a few exercises including the one which had caused this.
Did them all except that one, but it took ages to get over it. I too, couldn't sleep comfortably, but I don't remember not being able to ride.
I have arthritis too, in that shoulder, but pull-ups seem to help and I have had no further problems.
Good luck to anybody experiencing this. It's awful.
Old 11-17-20, 08:38 AM
margoC

Bikes: Caloi MTB, Raleigh heritage international

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
I had it, plus a torn labrum, plus arthritis and some other stuff. Before the arthroscopy I had a nerve block. Doc came in and held my arm, I thought he was just looking at he. He moved it around and it sounded like bubble wrap! 😮. It was the adhesions tearing.

He did the other fixes and I eventually healed pretty good. I'm too afraid to push it by doing heavy bench presses but my fixed shoulder is more flexible than my other one. This is one of my images.
Old 09-27-21, 04:14 PM
WaveyGravey

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 80 Posts
I am now experiencing this Frozen Shoulder. Just diagnosed by an Orthopedic Surgeon. I'm in Physical Therapy and doing stretching exercises at home.
Initially did not bother me while riding. But last couple of days pain has been intense.

This affliction seems common. Wondering about other peoples experience since this post from a year ago. It has me worried. Thanks.
Old 09-27-21, 04:45 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by WaveyGravey
I am now experiencing this Frozen Shoulder. Just diagnosed by an Orthopedic Surgeon. I'm in Physical Therapy and doing stretching exercises at home.
Initially did not bother me while riding. But last couple of days pain has been intense.

This affliction seems common. Wondering about other peoples experience since this post from a year ago. It has me worried. Thanks.
Did you go to a orthopedic surgeon to get a diagnosis about your shoulder? I'm assuming you did and that was their recommendation to just do PT. Essentially that's what mine told me. It'd been so long since the injury that it had healed itself up. Just needed to get the healed up stuff stretched out and broken apart so everything would move independently.

But if you didn't see one and didn't get an MRI or other imaging done, then you might actually need surgery. It's all a guess until you find out from someone that knows how to figure it out. And that won't be me.

I don't have any issues with my shoulder after going through the PT. Though I know some that had worse damage than I and didn't get full recovery. But if your DPT knows their stuff, then you should stick with it. You may only be with PT's for most of your stuff, but I'd think a DPT will look at you occasionally as you progress.

Maybe not. I've only gone through one experience needing PT so my imagination might be in overdrive here.

Last edited by Iride01; 09-27-21 at 04:49 PM.
Old 09-27-21, 04:59 PM
ARider2

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
I had frozen shoulder twice. The first time was after I had my arm in a sling for a few weeks after a surgery. The other time I think was due to swimming. On both occasions I did range of motion exercises and stretching and back to normal within a week or two. It was very painful and in order to avoid it I now do range of motion, stretching and strength exercises every day and have not had the issue in five years
Old 09-27-21, 05:50 PM
WaveyGravey

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 80 Posts
I have heard from others that Frozen Shoulder manages to go away with time. I'm hoping this is the case with me.

What troubles me is that my shoulder started really bothering me during rides over the weekend. Before I could ride with no problem. That leads me to believe it is getting worse for me.

And yes I have seen an Orthopedic Surgeon who has prescribed PT for 6 weeks to be followed up possibly with a shot.

My understanding is that shoulder surgery has a long recovery time. I'm really trying to avoid this as I am to old for this.

Thanks!
Old 09-28-21, 08:16 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by WaveyGravey
I have heard from others that Frozen Shoulder manages to go away with time. I'm hoping this is the case with me.

What troubles me is that my shoulder started really bothering me during rides over the weekend. Before I could ride with no problem. That leads me to believe it is getting worse for me.

And yes I have seen an Orthopedic Surgeon who has prescribed PT for 6 weeks to be followed up possibly with a shot.

My understanding is that shoulder surgery has a long recovery time. I'm really trying to avoid this as I am to old for this.

Thanks!
Well stick with the PT. I don't really remember how long I went. But I do remember that I had to get the doctor to prescribe me another round of PT so my insurance would take care of their part.

While they say you shouldn't have any pain with the PT, or at least my PT's said that, I still endured some pain when doing some of the stuff that stretched my arm. Maybe that hindered my recovery, but I'm still somewhat in the "no pain no gain" group.

I've been told that surgery is more for recent injury and that in my case being almost 9 mos. from when I initially pulled something that everything was healed and there wouldn't be any point for surgery. However I didn't have any severe damage. Maybe just a pull and no tearing. Won't know since I never got it imaged at the time I damaged it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.