Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Astm condition 3

Old 08-08-20, 02:27 PM
  #1  
taylorgeo
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Astm condition 3

Why are there TWO different TOTAL MAXIMUM WEIGHT LIMITS?


taylorgeo is offline  
Old 08-08-20, 02:33 PM
  #2  
fietsbob
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 43,598

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,277 Times in 798 Posts
What's Astm Condition 3 ?

Go to the source you quote, which is not this forum.

https://www.astm.org/index.html








Last edited by fietsbob; 08-12-20 at 08:56 AM.
fietsbob is offline  
Old 08-08-20, 07:38 PM
  #3  
Elvo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 4,416
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 131 Times in 76 Posts
The 5 lb limit is for seat bags only and the 55 lb limit is for seat bag + rack mounted luggage
Elvo is online now  
Old 08-08-20, 07:43 PM
  #4  
biker128pedal
Senior Member
 
biker128pedal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Eastern VA
Posts: 942

Bikes: Madone 5.0, Black Beta (Nashbar frame)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
I was comparing the load of the Salsa WarRoad to the Trek Checkpoint and asked Salsa. I did not have a chance to look up the ASTM so thank you. But I got this response from Salsa. If I recall correctly the Trek Checkpoint was 275 pounds.
Your Question: What is the weight capacity of the WarRoad? Rider, bike and gear.

Answer: As an ASTM Condition 2 bicycle the Warroad is rated for a 300lb rider and 55lbs of luggage!
biker128pedal is offline  
Old 08-08-20, 08:12 PM
  #5  
unterhausen
Randomhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
Posts: 20,088
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 517 Times in 381 Posts
what astm standard is it?
unterhausen is offline  
Old 08-09-20, 06:12 AM
  #6  
dedhed
SE Wis
 
dedhed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 6,806

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1300 Post(s)
Liked 704 Times in 485 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
what astm standard is it?
https://www.astm.org/SNEWS/MARCH_200...ell_mar06.html
dedhed is online now  
Old 08-09-20, 06:49 AM
  #7  
Trevtassie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Down Under
Posts: 1,676

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 184 Posts
Seems pretty clear, one is for frames without dedicated rack mounts where the load is hanging off a point remote from the point of maximum strength, The other is for frames with rack mounts, obviously fitted with a rack to carry the extra load which is distributed to a maximum strength point, the rear drop outs.
Trevtassie is offline  
Old 08-09-20, 07:09 AM
  #8  
taylorgeo
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevtassie View Post
Seems pretty clear, one is for frames without dedicated rack mounts where the load is hanging off a point remote from the point of maximum strength, The other is for frames with rack mounts, obviously fitted with a rack to carry the extra load which is distributed to a maximum strength point, the rear drop outs.
So if the rider weight is 355 lbs. and is carrying zero pounds of luggage, same difference?
taylorgeo is offline  
Old 08-09-20, 07:19 AM
  #9  
Trevtassie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Down Under
Posts: 1,676

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 184 Posts
Originally Posted by taylorgeo View Post
So if the rider weight is 355 lbs. and is carrying zero pounds of luggage, same difference?
No, because the extra 55lbs is not carried at the rear dropouts. Think of it this way, 55lbs load on the rear rack goes down through the rack stays straight to the axle of the wheel, via the drop out. The stays from the rack to the seat stay just stop the rack moving around. 55lbs extra rider weight could impinge on the frame at the seat, the pedals or handlebars.
Trevtassie is offline  
Old 08-09-20, 08:23 AM
  #10  
taylorgeo
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevtassie View Post
No, because the extra 55lbs is not carried at the rear dropouts. Think of it this way, 55lbs load on the rear rack goes down through the rack stays straight to the axle of the wheel, via the drop out. The stays from the rack to the seat stay just stop the rack moving around. 55lbs extra rider weight could impinge on the frame at the seat, the pedals or handlebars.
Gotcha. Thanks for clearing that up.
taylorgeo is offline  
Old 08-09-20, 10:15 AM
  #11  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 27,394
Mentioned: 193 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11658 Post(s)
Liked 3,476 Times in 1,855 Posts
Originally Posted by trevtassie View Post
seems pretty clear,
+1.

Last edited by indyfabz; 08-09-20 at 02:19 PM.
indyfabz is offline  
Old 08-09-20, 10:37 AM
  #12  
unterhausen
Randomhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
Posts: 20,088
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 517 Times in 381 Posts
If rider weight is really a concern, you should check the testing conditions for the category. I think there are some drops involved in the testing, so if the rider avoids that, they can ride something that isn't rated for their weight
unterhausen is offline  
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 08-09-20, 12:03 PM
  #13  
taylorgeo
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
Does to me as well.
This is not SNARK FORUMS. Say something constructive, or keep a lid on it.
taylorgeo is offline  
Old 08-09-20, 12:04 PM
  #14  
taylorgeo
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
If rider weight is really a concern, you should check the testing conditions for the category. I think there are some drops involved in the testing, so if the rider avoids that, they can ride something that isn't rated for their weight
Thank you, appreciate that.
taylorgeo is offline  
Old 08-09-20, 12:11 PM
  #15  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 27,394
Mentioned: 193 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11658 Post(s)
Liked 3,476 Times in 1,855 Posts
Originally Posted by taylorgeo View Post
This is not SNARK FORUMS. Say something constructive, or keep a lid on it.
I was not responding to you. Nor was I snarky. If your ego is bruised its not my fault. I suggest you follow your own advice.
indyfabz is offline  
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-09-20, 12:33 PM
  #16  
shelbyfv
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,172
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1810 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 671 Posts
OP may be feeling a little defensive right now. He's started 15 threads in the past two weeks related to his fear that at 350# he's going to squash a bike. It doesn't seem to matter that 400+ pounders in Clydes have tried to reassure him. My very constructive input is "buy a bike, go for a ride."
shelbyfv is offline  
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 08-09-20, 01:04 PM
  #17  
taylorgeo
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv View Post
OP may be feeling a little defensive right now. He's started 15 threads in the past two weeks related to his fear that at 350# he's going to squash a bike. It doesn't seem to matter that 400+ pounders in Clydes have tried to reassure him. My very constructive input is "buy a bike, go for a ride."
You're my biggest fan!
taylorgeo is offline  
Likes For taylorgeo:
Old 08-09-20, 01:11 PM
  #18  
shelbyfv
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,172
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1810 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 671 Posts
Maybe not "biggest" but probably most loyal. Wearing thin though, even for the most empathetic of us.
shelbyfv is offline  
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 08-09-20, 01:22 PM
  #19  
taylorgeo
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv View Post
Maybe not "biggest" but probably most loyal. Wearing thin though, even for the most empathetic of us.
Why is your empathy evaporating?
taylorgeo is offline  
Old 08-09-20, 01:27 PM
  #20  
taylorgeo
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
I was not responding to you. Nor was I snarky. If your ego is bruised its not my fault. I suggest you follow your own advice.
Why bother posting "Does to me as well."?
taylorgeo is offline  
Old 08-09-20, 01:36 PM
  #21  
shelbyfv
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,172
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1810 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 671 Posts
Originally Posted by taylorgeo View Post
Why is your empathy evaporating?
Well, in the course of your 15 threads, you've fretted about the frame, the stem, the seatpost, the tires, the brakes, the wheels.... Is the next question going to be bottle cage bolts? Or heavy duty bar tape? At some point (past, present or future) folks may suspect trolling. We surely wouldn't want that!
shelbyfv is offline  
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 08-09-20, 02:00 PM
  #22  
taylorgeo
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv View Post
Well, in the course of your 15 threads, you've fretted about the frame, the stem, the seatpost, the tires, the brakes, the wheels.... Is the next question going to be bottle cage bolts? Or heavy duty bar tape? At some point (past, present or future) folks may suspect trolling. We surely wouldn't want that!
But how does my quest for knowledge and my thread topics constitute trolling? (You counted 15, correct?)
taylorgeo is offline  
Old 08-09-20, 02:10 PM
  #23  
shelbyfv
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,172
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1810 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 671 Posts
I believe you just made the Iggy List, bye bye.
shelbyfv is offline  
Old 08-09-20, 02:16 PM
  #24  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 27,394
Mentioned: 193 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11658 Post(s)
Liked 3,476 Times in 1,855 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv View Post
I believe you just made the Iggy List, bye bye.
Thanks for the info. Will update mine as well.
indyfabz is offline  
Old 08-09-20, 02:19 PM
  #25  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 27,394
Mentioned: 193 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11658 Post(s)
Liked 3,476 Times in 1,855 Posts
Originally Posted by taylorgeo View Post
Why bother posting "Does to me as well."?
Its the equivalent of +1, which means I agree with you. I edited my post to try to relieve your unwarranted butt hurt.
indyfabz is offline  
Likes For indyfabz:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.