Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on the Giant Revolt 2 vs Revolt 0

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-20, 12:21 PM
Kserafin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been desperately searching for a gravel bike for off and on road fitness for a long time now. Narrowed it down to the revolt. I can get the revolt 0 in a week or two, but obviously it's much more expensive. If I go with the 2, it's much cheaper but won't be here until next season. How much better of a bike am I getting for the extra ~800 CAD. Is it worth it for someone just getting into it?
Thanks
Old 08-09-20, 01:28 PM
zen_

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 55 Posts
I think the Revolt 2 is the ideal bike for the beginner that doesn't have deep pockets and / or (wisely) doesn't want to throw a pile of money at their first bike when they don't know how much they will like gravel biking, and if so, what their ideal setup is. The extra cost of the 0 model is "worth" it in terms of parts; you get a much better drivetrain, with a slightly lighter crank. You're the decider on whether that is really worth it to you though.
Old 08-09-20, 02:18 PM
pcunite

Bikes: 2016 Salsa Warbird 105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
The advice I give, is don't pay for what you can't feel. I would get the Revolt 0, but its because its a 105 drive train. If you get into this sport, you'll appreciate that. However, right now ... you might be better off with a lesser model to learn what you like and don't like
Old 08-09-20, 04:09 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
My advice is to buy the best you can afford. The Revolt Advanced 0 comes with carbon wheels. If you can afford it, I think it's a great deal. The only reason I haven't bought one is the tire size limitation. I already have a gravel/pavement bike.
Old 08-10-20, 07:01 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
I'd look at what you get for the extra $800 and that is a LOT!

It so great that you can get a Revolt in your size right now with all of the shortages.

All Giant bikes are packed with valyue for the price, but I'll have to say they are still fairly new at gravel and are refining ther gravel bike solutions. If you can wait for the 2021 models they will have some GRX options and those are pretty much worth waiting for in my opinion. They may have a GRX 600 option priced between the 0 and 2 models and that is sure to provide a bike option that will carry you far in gravel riding before you feel the need to upgrade. Tiagra, 105 and Ultegra gravel bikes are rapidly being replaed by GRX equipped models because the GRX models have a lot of worthwhile advantages. Giant's poor decision not to offer a GRX equipped gravel option in 2020 is a clear sign that they are still figuring out what to offer in a gravel bike and better options soon will be available to us...
Old 08-10-20, 07:40 PM
jcg878

Bikes: make me happy

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa
My advice is to buy the best you can afford. The Revolt Advanced 0 comes with carbon wheels. If you can afford it, I think it's a great deal. The only reason I haven't bought one is the tire size limitation. I already have a gravel/pavement bike.
I think the Revolt 0 and 2 are different from the Advanced models and are offered outside of the US.

I have a Revolt Advanced 2 and have already changed the wheels to carbon because the stock were insanely heavy, so if I were to do it again I would just get the Advanced 0. I can't comment on the Revolt models though - I think there is only one in the US and it comes with Sora. My friend likes hers.
Old 08-10-20, 07:41 PM
jcg878

Bikes: make me happy

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee
I'd look at what you get for the extra $800 and that is a LOT!

It so great that you can get a Revolt in your size right now with all of the shortages.

All Giant bikes are packed with valyue for the price, but I'll have to say they are still fairly new at gravel and are refining ther gravel bike solutions. If you can wait for the 2021 models they will have some GRX options and those are pretty much worth waiting for in my opinion. They may have a GRX 600 option priced between the 0 and 2 models and that is sure to provide a bike option that will carry you far in gravel riding before you feel the need to upgrade. Tiagra, 105 and Ultegra gravel bikes are rapidly being replaed by GRX equipped models because the GRX models have a lot of worthwhile advantages. Giant's poor decision not to offer a GRX equipped gravel option in 2020 is a clear sign that they are still figuring out what to offer in a gravel bike and better options soon will be available to us...
I don't think the GRX components were in stock for them to offer at the time.
Old 08-10-20, 08:16 PM
zen_

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee
Giant's poor decision not to offer a GRX equipped gravel option in 2020 is a clear sign that they are still figuring out what to offer in a gravel bike and better options soon will be available to us...
The 2021 models are mostly GRX.

As for the 2020 vs. 2021 (alloy) Revolt 0, there is not as much difference as it seems. I would take the 2020 model and slap a GRX or RX Ultegra rear mech on it if the price was better, or I didn't have to wait 4+ months. The 105 and GRX 600 shifters are practically the same thing, and the GRX calipers literally just rebadged.
Old 08-11-20, 07:49 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by jcg878
I don't think the GRX components were in stock for them to offer at the time.
Pretty sure it was this, or they had a stockpile of 105/Ultegra groupsets and wanted to burn through those before going to GRX, who knows. But I've had no issues with the 105 groupset on my Advanced 2 (other than really wanting di2 lol).

That being said, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go for the '21 Advanced Pro 1 with GRX di2, has everything I want to do my current Revolt, except for the wheels, I don't want hookless, so I'll ditch those and get some wide hooked carbon wheels.
Old 08-11-20, 08:13 AM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
If it where me, I'd consider if the extra $800 is going to be a financial burden or not. If not, then I would buy the Revolt 0 not only because it's available soon, but it is going to be a better bike. It's like asking should I buy a Chev Equinox or a CadillacXT4. If you can afford it, The XT4 will be much more satisfying.

Don't let the label "Gravel bike" scare you. Giant's Revolt line of bikes is one of there most versatile drop bar bikes IMO. As is, It provides a speedy ride on a wide variety of terrain. Essentially a drop bar hybrid. Replacing the gravel tires with a good road bike tires and you'll get very close to road bike performance on paved roads.
Old 08-11-20, 10:49 AM
pcunite

Bikes: 2016 Salsa Warbird 105

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by xroadcharlie
Replacing the gravel tires with good road bike tires and you'll get very close to road bike performance on paved roads.
This is why I bought a "gravel" bike as well.
Old 08-11-20, 06:38 PM
DarKris

Bikes: Kona Kahuna DL Drop Bar - Sensah SRX Pro 1x11 (2012 Frame), Giant Toughroad GX 1 - Shimano Road Hydro + SLX 1x10 (2018), Diamondback Sync'r - SRAM NX 1x12 (2020)

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 54 Posts
I have the Revolt 2 and I am plenty happy with it. The low-ish price allowed me to get a second 650b wheelset (which I care about) and a GRX 1x11 Groupset. I think all the parts kept the total "build" under $2000 which was nice.

Plus I just love the red color